Gen 5 (Gen V OU RMT) Only Team I Ever Got to Work

A little intro about me before we start. My IGN is LGC SForM. Disregard my name here as I have no idea why I named myself that. I am a pretty big nobody who thought that he was good at pokemon and then proceeded to play online simulators and get my butt handed to me. I've been playing since gen III but I never really did well partly because I played pokemon I thought were cool, not practical. Not until I made this team this team however. I made this team near the end of gen V into gen VI however it has been doing wonders for me and I even made top 150 on the OU ladder here on showdown at one point. I have since retired this team but I would love to hear the comments behind this team from you, the people! So without further ado here it is!

upload_2016-5-26_0-59-6.png

Momentum (Volcarona) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

This is the main dude, the reason I created the team. I wanted a booster sweeper to base my team around and I wanted it to be ridiculously powerful but weak to SR so I could mess around with the next pokemon on the list. I was considering either this mon or Cloyster but i thought it would be funny to base my team around something that gets utterly destroyed by SR. Nothing could prepare me for how ridiculous this thing gets under one Quiver Dance. I have numerous replays of me sweeping entire teams and it really surprised me how good the attack typing works to destroy the entire tier. But before we move on let me explain my set.

This is your standard offensive Quiver Dance set. Life Orb is for max damage with standard 252/252/4 EV spread. I chose timid because I appreciate the extra speed and I felt the damage output was fine without modest. As for the moves, The big surprises are Fiery Dance over Fire Blast and Giga Drain. I chose Fiery Dance because the extra reliability was so clutch. For a pokemon that relies so much on killing the entire team without taking a hit because of its fraility missing a fire blast has costed me multiple games. Plus a Fiery Dance has a chance of raising the SpA 1 stage which can make up for the power (this has also one me games). Giga Drain is for water type. One big "potential" weakness of this team is rain teams (which is funny because they were everywhere this gen) just based off the typing of my team as you will see. Giga Drain is great because it hits the water types hard (obviously) and often times it was unexpected and many people would leave their water counter in on my Volcarona and eat a KO from +1 Giga Drain, effectively winning me the game or it would heal up to the point where +1 SpD coming off base 105 SpD I would live certain weaker water moves. It also one of my few counters to Gastrodon which I will cover later. Flame Body over Swarm because being able to burn phsyical attackers makes Volcaronas life so much easier.

To sum up, if I can get one Quiver Dance up and the opponent does not have one of the few solid answers, I will either sweep out right and win or dent the cores so hard I clean up with my other mons. The name is Momentum because if it gains momentum you're dead, end of discussion.

upload_2016-5-26_1-22-28.png

Karma (Espeon) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Reflect
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The other reason I played this team. I thought the concept of Magic Bounce was a super cool one and obviously I needed a way to get rid of SR for Volcarona. So here I present to you my understated overlooked mvp. And if you noticed, the build looks so all over the place but every decision i made has a distinct reason it was made so hear me out.

This is a very weird single screen Espeon. 252 HP EV for maximum survivability. 196 EV into SpA for the most amount of damage output to the things Espeon loves to jump into. The rest of the EVs plus Nature allow me to outrun Toxicroak which is the fastest threat worth checking without giving up some bulk from the HP EVs.

The point of this Espeon is to come in on non-threatening hazard setters (Ferrothorn, Forretress mainly) and absolutely ruin there day. And that is where Reflect comes in. These two threats (and other things that this set plays tricks on) all attack from the physical side so Reflect is mandatory. This also makes Volcarona surprisingly difficult to take down on the physical side. If those two hazard mons above drop any hazard, Leech Seed, or Thunder Wave, Espeon laughs and gets in to wreck there day by setting up Reflect and HP Fire to ruin there day. If I recall, HP fire may not OHKO but it does around 90% and prevents the hazards effectively rendering Ferrothorn and Forretress useless. If I eat a Gyro Ball or Power Whip on the switch, I outspeed and reflect turns those moves to 3HKO's. I get Reflect up and usually one attack before Espeon goes down. Psyshock is for a nice stab to hit as hard as possible before it Espeon goes down. HP-Fire is for the two above mentioned mons, and Sizor who loves to to switch in. Baton Pass is for empty switches that dodge pursuits from Scizor and Tyranitar. It also allows me to switch into Terrakion which with justified loves the pursuits.

The reason I don't run Light Screen is because I don't have room and I often don't get it up. Against hazard setters its better to hit them with HP-Fire to get the damage in and put them out of commission and Light Screen is another turn i waste where I cant do that. Volcarona becomes surprisingly tanky after +1 SpD so Light Screen isn't super mandatory. My last mon Dragonite (who loves Light screen) has Multiscale so it doesn't need it as much either.

The role of this Espeon is to get up Reflect to support Volcorona and then do as much damage before it goes down. Mid to late game as if it survives it acts as death fodder which is sad :( and a generic fighting counter. I never expect Espeon to survive in a match but if it dies to ensure a sweep it has done its job. The name Karma is given to it because if you don't respect what it does, you pay big time.
*NOTE* I never switch Espeon into a bulky SR like Landorus T, Garchomp or Mamoswine. They will get a clean 2HKO most of the time and its hard to predict when they SR.

upload_2016-5-26_1-49-21.png

Mantra (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

But SForM, you just mentioned you don't Magic Bounce bulkier hard hitting SR users. What do then? You're right, Espeon doesn't stop all hazards. This is where Starmie comes in. It is the best offensive spinner in the tier, its typing is useful to check certain threats and its fast and I tend to always use fast pokemon.

The EVs and Nature are fairly self explanatory. I chose the offensive build over the defensive one because I needed the extra damage in most situations. Rapid Spin and Hydro Pump are self explanatory. I hate using inaccurate move like Hydro Pump but I cannot deny its power behind a Life Orb and Analytic Boost. Psyshock is for fighting types that have a potential to rip through my team, specifically Keldeo and Terrakion. It also gives Starmie a way of hitting Blissey/Chansey and makes Starmie somewhat a mixed attacker which is always nice. Thunderbolt is for other waters specifically Rain teams. Starmie outspeeds all non swift swim/scarfed pokemon commonly found on rain teams and so Thundebolt puts in work. I chose Bolt over Thunder because its nice to have it reliable against waters outside rain. You may have noticed that I don't run Ice Beam. This is because my other pokemons can handle grass and Dragon types fairly easily which frees up Stramie to run other moves. No Recover because I appreciate the threat a 3 attack Starmie can pose and often one spin is all I need

Starmie's main threat is to hit problematic pokemon for my team while providing Rapid Spin support should SR get through. It scares Heatran and Keldeo, two very problematic pokemon for the team although it does not appreciate eating their hits often so it cannot switch into their attacks often.
Starmies name is Mantra because it sounds cool and has a very methodical playstyle, something I imagine anyone saying a mantra is thinking

upload_2016-5-26_2-7-26.png

Tempo (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower

With those three pokemon introduced 2 Major flaws arise. (1) All the mons are specially based so Blissey is a big problem. (2) I have no answer to dragon types, which are a defining factor in this metagame. I didn't want to use a steel type because I wanted to to keep up constant offensive momentum so Mamoswine fits the bill. Priority Ice Shard shuts down pretty much any set up dragon right in their tracks.

EVs are standard. Health for tankiness, Attack for because if I put it into SpA you guys would laugh at me. There is no need for Speed EVs because Ice Shard is priority and the other pokemon I would use the other moves for are slower than Mamoswine which is also why I run Adamant. Ice Shard and Earthquake are mandatory as anti-dragon and STAB respectively. I chose Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash because I appreciated the ability to break down substitutes and I very rarely use an the other Ice move over Ice Shard. The last slot was either Superpower or SR. I don't have any hazards on my teams except bouncing them back so SR on this slot would have been nice. The only problem is Mamoswine is never in a position to SR as it will often Ice shard as a priority to kill off a big threat. It would usually have to predict a switch and set up SR then which I didn't like risking the opponent to stay in and kill my Mamoswine. Superpower also has the added threat of surprising Blissey and Heatrans with Air Balloon which dumps all over my team if played safely.

The main purpose of Mamoswine is to come in to kill off any sort of setup sweeper right in its tracks with priority ice shard. It doesn't usually switch into any moves but can come in after a fainted pokemon (usually a sacked off Espeon).
Tempo is its name because it absolutely destroys the opponents tempo to a halt.

upload_2016-5-26_2-24-9.png

Sound (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

At this point I felt I needed a bit more physical damage wile having an all around solid attacker with revenge killing possibilities. Scarf Terrakion came into mind and it turns out it is the glue to my team. 108 speed and 129 base atk with two 120 base STABs? Sign me up.

Nature and EVs are standard on a Scarfer. Jolly over Adamant as while I miss out on some damage, the ability to outspeed common +1 threats is too good to pass up (Most DDancers are slower than Scarf Terrakion at +1). Close Combat and Stone Edge are the two mandatory STABs. X-Scissor is there for psychic types without having to rely on the shady accuracy of worst move in the game, Stone Edge (that or Focus Blast). Rock Slide is useful to revenge kill threats without risking a miss from Stone Edge. Im so paranoid that Stone Edge will miss when I need to kill that +1 Volcarona or +1 Gyarados or random stuff like that and thats where rock slide comes in. The additional flinch chance has one me a game or two. That being said, Stone Edges high crit rate is super nice and has stolen games for me against annoying BS like +6 Sigilyph. The scarf is also very nice because this Terrakion acts as a late game sweeper.

Terrakions main job is to be the glue behind the team. He is a solid physical hitter so stuff like Heatran/Blissey/Tyranitar don't wall me. He's extremely quick and can kill set up threats that Mamoswine can't threaten with Ice Shard. Overall, this pokemon always pulls his weight in a match, where something like a Mamoswine/Espeon can be rendered useless.
The name Sound is not what you think. Terrakion's reliability is very Sound.

upload_2016-5-26_2-45-21.png

Zenith (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

To be very honest, I put in Dragonite only because I felt like he could benefit from having no SR on the field. Turns out he has some decent synergy with the rest of the team. Usually if Volcarona gets interrupted, Dragonite is there to pick up the pieces. It acts as the physical late game sweeper if the opportunity arises.

Very Standard offensive DDance set so therefore a very standard set up. Once again Jolly because I love speed. DDance and Outrage are there because reasons. Extreme Speed is great because it allows me to pick off foes with priority when Ice Shard or Scarfed Terrakion just can't get it done. Fire Punch allows me to threaten Steels especially the likes of Scizor and Ferrothorn. I chose it over Earthquake because it is better in the sun, I have EQ on Mamoswine and Heatran (the main reason to use EQ) often runs air balloon. This does mean that My two main Sweepers are stopped dead cold by a bulky Heatran but if you notice, the rest of my team has solid ways of beating Heatran. Multiscale is great because it enables free set up, it makes Dragonite near impossible to kill if already set up and has Multiscale active, and allows me to take an otherwise fatal hit and revenge kill any threat. Lum Berry is a nice surprise factor, enables smoother sweeping and can be a nice sponge to things like Breloom Spore. It is also better than Life Orb because it keeps Multiscale intact and Dragonite hits like a truck without it

Dragonites role is to have a big threat looming that can clean up at anytime while having utility for certain situations.
Zenith because I couldn't think of a cool name like the rest and Zenith means best XD which Dragonite can be.

So Once again the team in all its glory
upload_2016-5-26_3-0-34.png
upload_2016-5-26_3-1-6.png
upload_2016-5-26_3-1-22.png
upload_2016-5-26_3-1-45.png
upload_2016-5-26_0-59-6.png
upload_2016-5-26_3-2-15.png

As a quick summary let me explain the overall objective with this team. This team is based around setting up big sweepers that can punch holes or sweep complete teams that are unprepared. These sweepers are weak to Stealth Rock and so therefore a lot of the support is around keeping rocks off long enough to secure a sweep. This team creates a lot of offensive pressure by having ever single pokemon on the team become an offensive threat. Because of this, it is very difficult to switch into moves as i do not have a tank or even a tanky pivot, but I can by pass this through sacrificing pokemon and clever double switches. Reflect from Espeon is crucial to make sweeps from Volcarona longer, and I can get some shenanigans going with Espeon and Terrakion as not many people know how to play against Espeon (or at least my build). This team has threats that can thrive in any weather condition bar hail though those are uncommon. This is a hyper offensive team that is a nice change of pace because at first glance this team seems like random parts put together. But I have found that this is the most synergistic team I have ever created while still using pokemon I find are fun. Against very solid strong players this team can struggle, but from the low to mid level this team can destroy as people are likely to fall into traps this team can create. If you would like to try it feel free to do so although I don't Know how many people still play Gen V OU.

Thank you for reading my RMT. Below I will give a short description on how I handle certain playstyles and pokemon present in Gen V OU for more clarity. Other than that this is the end of my RMT. Feel free to give me any advice you see fit to make this team better. Im always interested on seeing how i can improve this team even if I won't make any changes (I'm hella stubborn).

Other than that if you would like to play me or talk to me on Showdown my Name is LGC SForM. I am currently learning RU and have found a team that I really enjoy and with more time invested I may make a RMT for that. Other than that that is my RMT. Deuces!

Threats List

Playstyles:

• Offensive: Its all a matter of who gets set up first. Most offensive teams will not have solid answers to Volcarona and with clever use of my core three Starmie/terrakion/Mamoswine to kill off the things stopping Volcarona and Dragonite, One set up move means I have Game
  • Defensive/Stall: If I break through problematic walls like Blissey, Volcarona can get multiple boosts and sweep. Slow Pace gives fiery Dance a chance to accumulate boosts. Espeon puts in work as Magic Bounce can shut down stall
  • Bulky Offensive: Probably the worst matchup. I define these as pokemon that can take a hit but threaten a hit also. I don't have a dedicated wall breaker so breaking defensive cores is difficult. If i can accumulate more than one boost on DNite or Volc I can usually power through
  • Rain: A set up Volc hurts with giga drain. I utilizes starmie and espeon early to take hits and hit back. Dragonite can sweep if the steel (usually Ferrothorn) is gone.
  • Sun: Set up Volc is monstrous. Fire Punch from DNite hurts. Mamoswine handles grass with priority Ice Shard
  • Sandstorm: I don't know if you can consider this a team. I'm very neutral to it. Set up Volc wrecks Chip damage is annoying but not a super hinderance
Pokemon:

• Alakazam: Sash is annoying. Set up Volc can take any hit at +1 SpD and OHKO with bugbuzz
  • Blissey: All my physical attackers have a fighting move or has outrage. two of my special attakers have psyshock. Espeon gets a free swtich and reflect.
  • Breloom: Sack a mon for the spore or use DNite. Mach Punch hurts but psyshock, ice shard and fiery dance/fire punch dumps on it
  • Celebi: Set up Volc bug buzz or x-scissors from terrakion works
  • Cloyster: Offensive pressure this team creates often prevents it from boosting. Set Up volc can giga drain.
  • Conkeldur: Switch into Espeon or starmie but being wary of payback. I can set up with volc on it all day and Flame body can put in work here depending on ability
  • Donphan: LOL this mon sucks. No joke. Best thing it has is ice shard vs DNite with no multiscale
  • DNite: Ice Shard. Make sure to pop multiscale first.
  • Dugtrio: If it traps Terrakion I lose it but with scarf I can kill it first if it doesn't have sash. Everything i have can kill it
  • Espeon: I dont have anything that can be bounced. Offensive is an inferior Alakazam
  • Ferrothorn: Espeon walls it all day. Reflect turns any move into 3HKO. HPFire for sunsies.
  • Forretress: See above
  • Garchomp: Ice Shard
  • Gastrodon: Walls my entire team. Surprising it with giga drain usually works
  • Gengar: Starmie Outspeeds. Both set up sweepers when set up win.
  • Gliscor: Pain to deal with. Have to make a hard read/ prediction to kill with starmie or Mamoswine.
  • Gyarados: Non boosters, Scarf terrakion and Starmie win. At +1 Spe Terrakion outspeed and kills with stone edge
  • Haxorus: Ice shard. Set up Volc wins
  • Heatran: Super annoying. I have my 3 non sweepers can all threaten it but until it is down I cannot sweep. Suprise superpower from Mamoswine usually works, especially on air baloon variants.
  • Hippowdon: Set up Volc Wins. Starmie Wrecks
  • Hydreigon: Ice Shard, Bug Buzz
  • Jellicent: Giga Drain and TBolt. Can be annoying
  • Jirachi: Set up Volc. Otherwise this one can be difficult
  • Jolteon: Mamoswine walls everything bar rare HPGrass
  • Keldeo: Scarf in rain dumps on my team. In rain Hydro Pump is guaranteed OHKO on +1 SpD Volc. Starmie checks. Non scarf lose to +1 Volc
  • KyuremB: LOL just look at my team.
  • Lucario: Agility variants don't hit hard enough. SD variants are too slow.
  • Magnezone: No steels :D
  • Mamoswine: Entire team dumps on it
  • Metagross: Set Volc up and win. Offensive Pressure should prevent set up. Reflect destroys it
  • Ninetales: Solarbeam doesn't even OHKO starmie. Watch out for will-o-wisp.
  • Politoed: In rain hurts. Usually sac espeon or go into starmie to scare off
  • Reuniclus: Bug Buzz, x-scizzor. Should not be able to get off trick room.
  • RotomW- Hard if Volc cant set up. Usually sac a mon for damage or call a double switch.
  • Salamence: Ice Shard
  • Scizor: Likes to switch into Espeon. Bait the switch in. HP fire for kill. Baton pass to Terrakion to eat a pursuit and get +1. Almost never bullet pnches which would counter this.
  • Skarmory: See ferrothorn
  • Starmie: Early, risk the speed tie. Late, Set up Volc wins
  • Tentacruel: Chip early. Volc can set up and clean late. Tentacruel cant retaliate
  • Terrakion: Find its item. Non Scarf loses to Set up volc and my scarf. Scar terrakion gets checked by starmie
  • ThundurusT- Ice Shard. usually takes chip and will die to ice shard.
  • Tyranitar: Same as scizor. Love to switch into espeon. Bait it, Baton pass to terrakion on the crunch or pursuit.
  • Vaporeon: Set up Volc and Starmie Win.
  • Venasaur: In sun, Mamoswine wins. In non sun, why the hell you not running sun?
  • Vocarona: Scarfed Rock Slide beast +1 Volc

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)