Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted here in a while, since the normals clause was implemented, in fact.

I did some calcs for belly drum diggersby, and it OHKOs ferrothorn, skarmory, gliscor, meggron, and megattar between extremespeed, earthquake, and stone edge. The only relevant things I see being able to stop it are sableye and gengar. Gengar can revenge with focus blast (although it can't switch into stone edge), and sableye can topsy turvy away it's boosts or destiny bond it.

I on a different note, I think megabsol could become one of the best swords dancers in the tier because of immunity to topsy turvy (the bane of every other set up sweeper bar shell smash espeon) and magic bounce utility in general.

Absol @ Absolite
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dark Void
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Dark Void for ease of set up, and it's now superior to spore. Sucker Punch for STAB and priority, which is augmented by magic bounce. Play Rough offers near perfect neutral coverage (only resisted by mawile, klefki, and the odd drapion I believe) and lets it deal with dragons and other dark types. The only thing sableye can do to this is destiny bond, so it still has to die to take care of it. Has trouble setting up if sleep clause is already active, though, with it's horrible bulk.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
So who are the big winners of this generation?

So Greninja can have every type, thanks to Protean, does this means it should get every move? LOL. On a more serious note, said Greninja is a very fast user of Dark Void and Parting Shot, it could have more niches so.

Those two are awesome users of the new moves Parting Shot and Topsy Turvy, the former having outstanding bulk and power and the latter having priority on said moves thanks to Prankster.

The only new Flying attack is Oblivion Wing, which is inferior to Aeroblast unless you are looking specifically for the healing.

Brave Bird for a Choice Band set.

Oh, some illegalities whit Defog such as Multiscale+Defog for Dragonite are now fixed, plus some that didn't have the move at all, such as Thundurus and Gyarados.

The Normal type, always blessed whit useful options, has now access to the most powerful move whitout drawbacks in the game, Boomburst, which has an insane 140 base power whit 100% accuracy. Being a sound based move it can also bypass Substitutes.

Good Boomburst users. Porygon-Z and Sylveon deserve a mention because of their abilities, Adaptability and Pixielate respectively. Adaptability makes Boomburst a 280 base power move, able to 2HKO Assault Vest Tyranitar in the sandstorm after a Shell Smash, while Pixielate turns Normal moves into Fairy moves, giving to Sylveon's Boomburst STAB and nice SE coverage. Pixielate is also nice whit Rapid Spin(Scrappyspin 2.0). Recover is also a nice gift for more defensive Sylveon's sets.
Everybody of them can(and should) run Shell Smash.

Does status moves act twice? If yes, here is the best Shell Smasher in the world. If not, she is still one of the best ShellSmashers. Her Extreme Speed is actually more powerful than Arceus' one whit the same amount of boosts, and break substitutes, sashes and sturdies. Earthquake blows most steels away, same for Ghost types and Crunch/Sucker Punch.

The previously mentioned Belly Drum+Extreme Speed Diggersby. It has 1856 attack after a Belly Drum. Does this need other explainations?

Furfrou has the awesome Fur Coat ability, which doubles his defense. His support movepool his lacking in the standard metagame thought. This is not true in STABmons. In facts, he gets some goodies such as Rapid Spin, Recover, and Heal Bell, as well as Whirlwind(it already had Roar, thought). Access to U-Turn makes him a reliable pivot. And goddamn his fur is just so cool.

Flying Press is the only notable new thing for Fighting types. It is basically addictional Flying coverage whit STAB. In doubles Mat Block can also be useful for your team(it's a Protect that works even for your ally, but doesn't protect against status)

Really nothing new for the fire type aside of random Megas whit Blue Flare>Fire Blast and the already mentioned Pyroar.

Zygarde got some goodies such as Spikes and Dragon Rush, which works sweet whit Coil and doesn't make you setup bait for steel types like Outrage

Gogoat has that weird ability that boosts your defense when there is the Grassy Terrain. Sadly Gogoat doesn't learn that move. Stabmons fix it finally. The Grassy terrain also boost the power of Grass moves. There is a drawback thought. Even your opponent has his HP restored.

Oh, and now every Grass type has a better Protect in Spiky Shield. And Synthesis is more reliable whit the weather nerf, althought you should still use better healing moves if your Pokémon can get them(Milk Drink Gogoat, Recover Cradily, Recover Leafeon, Roost Jumpluff...).

HOLY CRAP STICKY WEB WHIT AN ACTUAL DISTRIBUTION.

And Powder is going to be just hilarious whit Scizor, Genesect and Forretress.

Every Steel type has a better protect in form of King's Shield. Ferrothorn is going to be a pain whit this and Leech Seed.

No Psychic moves or interesting Psychic Pokémon at all.

Water Shuriken is welcome for every physical Water attacker. Cloyster however stands out because she always get a 75 base power Water Shuriken, and the move has priority, meaning that priority users have little to do, unless they resist Water(Mach Punch Chesnaught? LOL).

Nuzzle>Thunder Wave.

Spacial Rend is even more welcome because of the power drop of Dragon Pulse.

Really nothing.

Freeze Dry i guess, although Thunderbolt has the same base power even after Stab and provides better coverage.

Barbaracle can use Head Smash for some insane power alongside Tough Claws and Shell Smash, but the recoil is just too heavy, i don't think it would be better than Stone Edge. However, it gets CrabHammer for stronger Water type STAB.

Nothing really.

Moonlight is now a Fairy type move and is more viable due to the weather nerf. Like Synthesis, it should be used only if you lack better options, thought.
Notable users are Carbink whit his outstanding bulk and craptastic typing, Klefki and Whimsicott for Prankster recovery.

Power Herb Geomancy just wrecking shit.
Other fairies have Shell Smash and/or are physical/support, so Gardevoir is the only viable user.
No offense but this seems made by a small kid or someone new to english, if it's the former, sorry, but "with" is spelled W-I-T-H (not trying to be a dick, I'm just a natural grammar nazi)

oh also, oblivion wing > aeroblast tbh, the 75% recovery is too insane to pass up, it's why people used giga drain over energy ball in BW2, except oblivion wing is a flying type, stronger and a higher healing version of giga drain

Err..I think you're underestimating freeze dry. Stab makes the move 105 base power which hits water types for super effective damage. In additional to this it also hits water/flying, water/dragon, water/grass AND water/ground for x4 damage. With just ice beam and freezedry you get boltbeam coverage. Shame ice types suck but maybe glaceon and kyruem can do this move justice.
Glaceon w/ life orb
Shell smash
Ice beam
Freeze dry
Hp fire(?)

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Err..I think you're underestimating freeze dry. Stab makes the move 105 base power which hits water types for super effective damage. In additional to this it also hits water/flying, water/dragon, water/grass AND water/ground for x4 damage. With just ice beam and freezedry you get boltbeam coverage. Shame ice types suck but maybe glaceon and kyruem can do this move justice.
Glaceon w/ life orb
Shell smash
Ice beam
Freeze dry
Hp fire(?)
Ice Beam + Freeze Dry are still both Ice Type moves, although Freeze Dry can hit water types, Fire, Steel and Ice types still resist that coverage, actual "Bolt-Beam" is Freeze Dry with a water move, as the only type they couldn't hit was Water and that is now hit Super Effectively

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk (Can go physically defensive to stop Azumarill/Scizor more easily)
Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Scald
- Roar
- Defog

Empoleon has such a great typing in gen 6 STABmons, being able to counter some threats by using King's Shield intelligently. It can stop most Shift Gear Scizor's, Most Azumarill's, Boomburst Sylveon can be roared out. Since Defog now removes all hazards, Empoleon proves to be a very reliable Defog user with its incredible typing and decent defenses. Scald allows it to go toe to toe with threats such as Terrakion (Which will absolutely hate King's Shield.)

Reactions: EV
Oh, btw. This is Adrians genius set.

Stallbreaker Gliscor
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Evs! YAY (just run max speed and hp or something, I don't care.)
Jolly
-Toxic
-Taunt
-U-Turn
- Brave Bird/ EarthQuake/Defog

So the point of this set is that it's immune to status, walls a lot of physical threats, and is generally cool. It goes off of the BH idea of running poison heal to block status, and uses this in order to screw with stall. Toxic is because c'mon, it's a gliscor. Of course you have toxic. Taunt is to stop chanseys, and other stallmons. U-turn is because it gains momentum, and is just a great move in general, and the last is either a STAB in case it gets taunted, or just wants to hit stuff, or defog to get rid of hazards.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Another cool pokemon in Gen 6 STABmons is Greninja, who gets access to Nasty Plot (!) and Water Spout (!!), not to mention Topsy Turvy and Dark Void. I'm thinking a set like

Greninja @ Dread Plate / Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam

Set is pretty simple - put something to sleep and then set up with Nasty Plot. Greninja has insane speed, letting it act like a mini-Darkrai. Thanks to Dark-type being buffed this gen, mono-Dark coverage is even better, allowing substitute to be an option. Hydro Pump turns Greninja into a mono-Water-type, and Water / Dark has good neutral coverage. Ice Beam can be used instead, as Ice is a stronger type to spam and it does get Ice STAB thanks to Protean. However, Ice-type is really shitty, so it is not recommended.

Another cool Pokemon is Sylveon, thanks to Pixilate Boomburst and Ground-type Judgement giving it amazing coverage, not to mention its good 110 SpA. This is the set I'd run

Sylveon @ Earth Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Softboiled
- Lovely Kiss / Geomancy / Calm Mind / Shell Smash

This set is simple, tank hits and hit hard back. Pixilate Boomburst is the strongest Fairy-type attack in the game; scary 140 BP move with no drawbacks and good neutral coverage. Earth Plate Judgement lets you smack types that resist Fairy (Fire, Poison, and Steel). Softboiled heals you, and the last move is filler-ish. Lovely Kiss lets you put stuff to sleep, while Geomancy is for those who have the balls to use it. Calm Mind is pretty much a safer Goemancy. Shell Smash is also an option - if you run Shell Smash, you'll need to run 252 Spe and Timid. Keep in mind that even then Sylveon is slow. Also, any boosting move lets Topsy-Turvy wreck you, although your STAB is SE against most Dark-types.

Just a minor(major) nitpik but sylveon is even more insane than you think. Pixelate boosts normal moves by 30% changes it into fairy moves AND gives stab so boomburst is actually 140x1.3x1.5=273 bp fairy move with no drawback. It also goes through subs.

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm just curious, what is the exact wording of normals clause?
Well, the Normal clause was to limit Normal-types to only 1 extra Normal move during Gen 5. Going forward, Gen 6 doesn't have that clause until Gen 6 STABmons becomes official and only if it's still necessary. We may see that Normal spam isn't as viable as it once was. (MAY!)

Okay, I will post a set that is worthy of being posted

Porygon-Z @ Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Shell Smash
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
Wow... After a shell smash boomburst will destroy EVERYTHING (besides ghost types) and dark pulse will handle the rest
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shuckle: 121-143 (49.59 - 58.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 332-392 (92.22 - 108.88%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 482-568 (67.5 - 79.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 366-432 (51.26 - 60.5%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 170-200 (46.7 - 54.94%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 226-266 (55.94 - 65.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO[/hie

Okay, I will post a set that is worthy of being posted

Porygon-Z @ Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Shell Smash
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
Wow... After a shell smash boomburst will destroy EVERYTHING (besides ghost types) and dark pulse will handle the rest
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shuckle: 121-143 (49.59 - 58.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 332-392 (92.22 - 108.88%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 482-568 (67.5 - 79.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 366-432 (51.26 - 60.5%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 170-200 (46.7 - 54.94%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 226-266 (55.94 - 65.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That is terrifying, but what is Thunderbolt on there for? If it's just a filler, then I think that Extreme Speed is a viable replacement, because it gets the same boosts from adaptability and SS, and also protects you from priority users who might otherwise be able to revenge kill you. Just run Hasty instead of Timid, and put your last 4 EVs into attack.

canno

formerly The Reptile
That set is why sableye exists. The capability to easily stop every sweeper is not a small thing :).
Male Meowstic can act similarly thanks to Prankster Heart Swap / Power Swap (and possibly sweep itself!), although it still gets smashed by ESpeed

Topsy is actually better than heart swap, at least in BH. And meowstic doesn't have sableye's typing, or the stats to sweep.

What about going further?
Sylveon @ Focus Sash/White Herb/Earth Plate/Whatever
Ability: Pixielate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Boomburst
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball/Judgement
- Extreme Speed

+2 4 Atk Sylveon ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 272-324 (89.47 - 106.57%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

porygon-z was gifted in STABmons, with BOOMburst. 140 BP STAB move + 135 SAtk + adaptability = destruction (and also packing shell smash)

+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 376-443 (116.04 - 136.72%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 441-519 (134.86 - 158.71%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite (actived multiscale): 344-405 (106.17 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vaporeon: 512-604 (110.34 - 130.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 144 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax: 492-580 (98.99 - 116.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

special: +4 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 600-708 (92.02 - 108.58%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
porygon-z was gifted in STABmons, with BOOMburst. 140 BP STAB move + 135 SAtk + adaptability = destruction

+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 376-443 (116.04 - 136.72%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 441-519 (134.86 - 158.71%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite (actived multiscale): 344-405 (106.17 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vaporeon: 512-604 (110.34 - 130.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 144 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax: 492-580 (98.99 - 116.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

special: +4 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z (Move 1) vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 600-708 (92.02 - 108.58%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
You and I went in diferent directions. You went for the threats it can OHKO and I went for the super defensive mons that it amazingly THKOs

What about going further?
Sylveon @ Focus Sash/White Herb/Earth Plate/Whatever
Ability: Pixielate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Boomburst
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball/Judgement
- Extreme Speed

+2 4 Atk Sylveon ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 272-324 (89.47 - 106.57%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Does that take into account that ESpeed is super effective? And the Pixielate boost?

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Another cool pokemon in Gen 6 STABmons is Greninja, who gets access to Nasty Plot (!) and Water Spout (!!), not to mention Topsy Turvy and Dark Void. I'm thinking a set like

Greninja @ Dread Plate / Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam

Sylveon @ Earth Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Softboiled
- Lovely Kiss / Geomancy / Calm Mind / Shell Smash

I know protean is useful for turning yourself into a mono type, but I think Torrent should be slashed on the first one so that gives you the option of a boosted Hydro Pump at low health. I like both sets though. I was disappointed when I first learned that Greninja couldn't learn SD or NP. I mean, it's a ninja :\

That sylveon set looks very destructive though. Sylveon prefers its high SpD and is a bit slow even after SS, plus it would hate the time taken for Geomancy to set up, so I tink either Lovely Kiss or CM is the best option. CM imo, with a 252 HP/252 Def set so it can take some hits, heal up with soft boiled, then hit back with a Destructive 182 BP (273 with STAB) attack.

This set looks like fun.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Venom Drench
- Leech Seed/Synthesis
- Giga Drain/Toxic
Spore is standard on Amoonguss, Leech Seed and Synthesis both provide decent recovery, Giga Drain and Toxic allow it to do a little more damage. The real draw of this set is Venom Drench, which stops most attackers in their tracks. Combined with Regenerator, this set should be a great pivot.

Also, I've been thinking about how badly this gen needs a solid response to Shell Smash Boomburst. The problem is that both Pixilate and non-Pixelate Boomburst are viable. Currently I can think of two- Topsy-Turvy Sableye and specially defensive Jirachi. The former is probably going to be huge in this metagame, but the latter not so much. Regardless, I think this metagame will be quite interesting.

also Phycho Boost Malamar sounds fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)