Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not using the Gold/Silver formula, a sequel in another region?
I'm not a fan of this idea. It just detracts from the new region and the old region. It also gives a very messed up levelling curve as evident from GSCHGSS.

AKA, pure conjecture bullshit.

Also, does anyone else want to compile a list of all these supposed "leaks" and then we can comment about how true they are after the games come out? I feel like that might be a fun aside.
This is brilliant. It'll be interesting to follow the Serbii link, especially after the game releases.

Hoo-ee, that gave me chicken skin!

Nintendo's localisation team has done it again
And this is just one line. Imagine the rest of the game!

Not... really. There's nothing about GSCHGSS's horrific levelling curve that come from the fact it's a sequel game.
Kanto was easy and had very low leveling. Johto's levels were "squashed" quite low and the E4 was at a far to high level compared to what was before it. Also E4 was harder than most of the Kanto Gym Leaders

On the subject of Magearna, not only did the movie mention something about Magearna having a "Soul Heart", but Magearna EX has an attack called "Soul Blaster". It's either a coincidence, movie promotion material, or it could be hinting at Magearna having something to do with souls.

EDIT: According to said EX card, Magearna's flowers appear to also function as neat arm guns too!

Kanto was easy and had very low leveling. Johto's levels were "squashed" quite low and the E4 was at a far to high level compared to what was before it. Also E4 was harder than most of the Kanto Gym Leaders
That was just in GSC. HGSS racked up the Kanto leader's levelling.
And again, it's not that that's going to happen any time they try to do a sequel game. It was just badly done.
Heck, a sequel game doesn't even need to have the previous gen's region.

On the subject of Magearna, not only did the movie mention something about Magearna having a "Soul Heart", but Magearna EX has an attack called "Soul Blaster". It's either a coincidence, movie promotion material, or it could be hinting at Magearna having something to do with souls.

EDIT: According to said EX card, Magearna's flowers appear to also function as neat arm guns too!

I can see Game Freak giving Magearna access to Light of Ruin.

Dudes I guess there is a mistake here on why GSC and HGSS leveling sucked harder than a jet engine.
Partially, they micro fixed this, but it still sucked and Kanto was a shadow of it's former self, grinding Pokémon levels where still squashed

Not... really. There's nothing about GSCHGSS's horrific levelling curve that come from the fact it's a sequel game.
True, BW and B2W2 had really good leveling scaling and allowed a lot of team experimentation as you weren't forced to grind to still be in your early 50s post-game wise, blessed be Audino in some cases at B2W2 and rustling grass rare Pokémon being up to 8 levels higher than their intended catch on normal grass, they tried to do this with the dexnav in ORAS, but it wasn't as good for the average player.

Simply put Jotho had a pitchfork in ecruteak. This thing is the big mistake in this game, after Morty mid 20s gym the leveling of the Pokémon in the wild, and trainers drops dramatically in order to allow an "open world" experience wich is based on free exploration and doing stuff in the order you want, this fucks leveling so hard a party of 6 is level starved to break the 40s at Victory road, this is way worse than the fake difficulty spike in Sinnoh with Cynthia level spike from Lucian and Sinnoh "Land of the demon king syndrome"(A gaming term referring to games that either abuse the "demonic spiders" trope to punish level grinding or outright leaves grinding at a terrible rate when compared to other areas of the game near the final boss area point and case Sinnoh Victory road and the trainer drought after the 8th gym) wich creates a fake sense of difficulty despite the game lack of actual intended difficulty such as Jotho pathetic E4 Before HGSS remaches.

Blame Ecruteak pitchfork for ruining Jotho and by extension Kanto, with the biggest case of land of the demon king near Red to make him look harder than intended outside of his Snorlax in GSC.

I really hope they avoid the land of the demon king bullshit in Alola, it's a cheap trick to make the games look harder than they are.

Just a note, I didn't mean sequel I meant it had two regions. My bad. B2W2 was amazing.

EDIT to make clearer: My point was about a game having multiple region, not if the game wa a sequal or not.

Last edited:
I can't think of a single pokemon game that I had to grind at all to clear the E4, and I don't even use healing items. Any complaints about grinding levels for in game purposes is just frankly silly. Just don't sneak past the trainers/run away from every wild mon lol

I can't think of a single pokemon game that I had to grind at all to clear the E4, and I don't even use healing items. Any complaints about grinding levels for in game purposes is just frankly silly. Just don't sneak past the trainers/run away from every wild mon lol
I don't skip trainers, wild pokemon etc. I agree with this statement however with the exception of the previously mentioned GSCHGSS. That's just awful. The other games are fine just...GSCHGSS. I really hope S/M don't mess up the leveling curve although given XYORAS, it'll probably be made to easy.

For ingame challenge runs where you don't enter the league with a level 80 starter and raptor DP becomes rather tricky in its intended experience curve. Only when you abuse 2 Pokémon DP curve doesn't become apparent.

In DP I steamrolled Cynthia with a lv 59 Roselia, but again DP forced you to have 2 HM slaves nearly every time so the experience was only even about 4 members including raptor, infernape, Roselia and Gyarados.

DP was among the easiest, yet lengthier runs I ever had on my first attempt and the most unremarkable one thanks to Roselia sweep.

On further runs DP issues become apparent when you deviate from Staraptor being the ultimate bird, simply put DP experience curve past the 8th gym dies, it's quite dramatic among all of the Pokémon games, heck it's even more pronounced than the gen 1 spike.

I skip a lot of trainers usually because I want to hurry along and get to the next gym/story segment/cool Pokemon. I've lately started on purpose going for them though.

I skip a lot of trainers usually because I want to hurry along and get to the next gym/story segment/cool Pokemon. I've lately started on purpose going for them though.
I just to do this a lot when I was younger. Now I've changed.

I doubt level curve will be an issue in Sun and Moon. GameFreak knows what they're doing at this point when it comes to levels, and in my opinion they were nearly perfect in XY and ORAS.
I felt like XYORAS didn't have a great difficulty curve. It was to easy. Mabye that's coming from me being used to Pokemon and mabye the curve is suited to new players just fine but idk, I just hope it's atleast a bit harder in S/M.

I felt like XYORAS didn't have a great difficulty curve. It was to easy. Maybe that's coming from me being used to Pokemon and maybe the curve is suited to new players just fine but idk, I just hope it's at least a bit harder in S/M.
This is something that I have felt as well. Even without the Exp. Share I managed to grind enough experience to beat the Gyms and the Elite 4 without too many issues. However, while the latest games may have been a bit too easy, especially for veteran players, the incoming games must not have a too steep difficulty curve either. I remember, back in the days of the RSY games, that I was forced to level grind a lot to beat the Elite 4, especially after considered that I had very little battle experience, due to being still a young kid.

If all, I think the new games should have a level curve more akin to the GSC games. To me those games had enough challenge value for more experienced Trainers (like Whitney) and were at a good enough level to allow more inexperienced Trainers to beat those Gyms after a bit of level grind. Otherwise, what about having Easy, Normal and Hard Mode, which could be set at the beginning of the games (unlike B2W2)? In this way, young kids can play in Easy Mode to learn the ropes of the games, while more experienced Trainers can get a more challenging adventure.

This is something that I have felt as well. Even without the Exp. Share I managed to grind enough experience to beat the Gyms and the Elite 4 without too many issues. However, while the latest games may have been a bit too easy, especially for veteran players, the incoming games must not have a too steep difficulty curve either. I remember, back in the days of the RSY games, that I was forced to level grind a lot to beat the Elite 4, especially after considered that I had very little battle experience, due to being still a young kid.

If all, I think the new games should have a level curve more akin to the GSC games. To me those games had enough challenge value for more experienced Trainers (like Whitney) and were at a good enough level to allow more inexperienced Trainers to beat those Gyms after a bit of level grind. Otherwise, what about having Easy, Normal and Hard Mode, which could be set at the beginning of the games (unlike B2W2)? In this way, young kids can play in Easy Mode to learn the ropes of the games, while more experienced Trainers can get a more challenging adventure.
Gen V had challenge and easy mode iirc, we could do to have them back albeit able to access them from the start.

Dude, I agree on something, gsc had a great design up to Morty. However sadistic genius that thought of schyter, Miltank and Gengar as level barricades deserves a medal akin to the starmie guy.

Sadly the game dies out after Morty. This is where the game goes to hell, you get Magmar and then there is absolutely no redeeming features leveling wise on jotho.

I once beat one of Morty's Gengars with a level 8 Togepi. I think it's the one where it has like a sleep move and only has a ghost attack for offense? (I don't remember the actual moveset) but it was great fun. On the topic of Gym Leaders and bringing it back round to S/M, I really hope S/M have good monotype teams / Gym Leaders that aren't monotype (if only). It'd be nice to see Gym Leaders of S/M to a) have more Pokemon (like teams of 5 or 6 after the 3rd Gym) and b) teams that cover their main weaknesses in terms of typing.

EDIT: It's this moveset
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball
Mean Look
Sucker Punch

Metronome counts as a status move so it doesn't trigger Sucker Punch and it's immune to Shadow Ball in Gen IV. Hypnosis and Mean Look are status.

Mud slap was great here.
I once beat one of Morty's Gengars with a level 8 Togepi. I think it's the one where it has like a sleep move and only has a ghost attack for offense? (I don't remember the actual moveset) but it was great fun. On the topic of Gym Leaders and bringing it back round to S/M, I really hope S/M have good monotype teams / Gym Leaders that aren't monotype (if only). It'd be nice to see Gym Leaders of S/M to a) have more Pokemon (like teams of 5 or 6 after the 3rd Gym) and b) teams that cover their main weaknesses in terms of typing.

EDIT: It's this moveset
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball
Mean Look
Sucker Punch

Metronome counts as a status move so it doesn't trigger Sucker Punch and it's immune to Shadow Ball in Gen IV. Hypnosis and Mean Look are status.
Mud slap spearow in gsc as it didn't learn sucker punch until DP. It was hilarious, it also justifies the regional bird and stantler/tauros/Miltank usage.

We would really love stuff like these in Alola, I just hope they don't try to use RNG shenanigans like in DP with swagger and instead give the mons a legitimate move pool.

Mud slap was great here.

Mud slap spearow in gsc as it didn't learn sucker punch until DP. It was hilarious, it also justifies the regional bird and stantler/tauros/Miltank usage.

We would really love stuff like these in Alola, I just hope they don't try to use RNG shenanigans like in DP with swagger and instead give the mons a legitimate move pool.
LOL. Given GF's history though I wouldn't be surprised if we got yet more RNG!

EDIT: Can we also dispose of the trend of having some late game Gym Leader's Pokemon having less than 4 moves? It's absurd that despite being roadblocks, challenges in your path they can't even muster a proper Pokemon Moveset. Wulfric in XY had a 3 move Abomasnow, iirc.

Last edited:
For ingame challenge runs where you don't enter the league with a level 80 starter and raptor DP becomes rather tricky in its intended experience curve. Only when you abuse 2 Pokémon DP curve doesn't become apparent.

In DP I steamrolled Cynthia with a lv 59 Roselia, but again DP forced you to have 2 HM slaves nearly every time so the experience was only even about 4 members including raptor, infernape, Roselia and Gyarados.

DP was among the easiest, yet lengthier runs I ever had on my first attempt and the most unremarkable one thanks to Roselia sweep.

On further runs DP issues become apparent when you deviate from Staraptor being the ultimate bird, simply put DP experience curve past the 8th gym dies, it's quite dramatic among all of the Pokémon games, heck it's even more pronounced than the gen 1 spike.
I killed the Hydregion with a durant? Point being? In D/P (and PL) You had more limited options of good mons, had to have HMS. It results in a harder game, which IMO is a good thing. B/W and B/W2 were so bad that if it wasn't for needing them to get mons from 3/4th gen, I'd sell them. It was simply easy, in part from really stupid AI, and in part because their were plenty of easy to get really strong mons.

I killed the Hydregion with a durant? Point being? In D/P (and PL) You had more limited options of good mons, had to have HMS. It results in a harder game, which IMO is a good thing. B/W and B/W2 were so bad that if it wasn't for needing them to get mons from 3/4th gen, I'd sell them. It was simply easy, in part from really stupid AI, and in part because their were plenty of easy to get really strong mons.
what does IMO mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)