Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes please. I want it to be true. Just imagine his look does not change and you have no idea which type he is when you meet him online.
Except that now you're told when a move is super effective or not...

Anyways, now that we've seen Dexio and Sina both wearing mega bracelets we can safely assume that megas ARE still a thing, so that discussion can finally be put to rest. If I had to guess I'd say that we'll receive the keystone for mega evolution as a reward for collecting all Zygarde Cells in Alola.

About the UB:01, I don't think that's Lillie but rather a friend of hers. The beast could've very well simply started to imitate someone it is close to ( remember, the official site says that it doesn't have an actual shape ). In XY there's a NPC who says that Pokemon are like a mirror or their trainers; the same concept could be applied here. Perhaps, the Ultra Beast is even what Lillie has been hiding inside her bag.
edit: I see someone has already brought this last bit up, nice. I'm totes with you.

Last edited:
I'd really like the concept of Ultra Beasts being non-Pokémon JRPG bosses. Everything about UB-01 feels really alien for me. They could have pseudo-types (like: weak to Dragon, Normal and Bug, resist Fairy, Fire and Steel
and immune to Flying, without having any particular typing), use pseudo-moves (UB-01 used a mind attack! It's super effective! Eelektross fell for the taunt!) or do anything non standard to Pokémon. As long as they're challenging but not impossible, the weirder the better.

We can't see for sure that they're mega bracelets. There's equal odds they're Z rings, or just communicators.
Why would Professor Sycamore's—the pokemon professor responsible for researching Mega Evolution—assistants be wearing Z rings? Specially when it seems like they're on vacation given the clothes they're wearing. It makes far more sense for them to have acquired their own Keystones at some point. I'll concede that they could be communicators though, but that's really unlikely imo.

Also, Dexio mentioned Serena/Calem & co which means that the events from 3000 years ago that lead into XY's storyline actually happened, meaning that the Ultimate Weapon has been fired which in turn means that we're not talking about the alternate timeline in which Mega Evolution doesn't exist. For all intents and purposes it's safe to assume that Mega Evolution is still incorporated into the pokemon world, the only question left unanswered is how we're going to acquire it.

Assuming we get a keystone. It's confirmed to be in the same timeline, sure, but that isn't a guarentee that we will see a return of Mega Evolutions. It makes it a lot more likely though.

If Mega Evolution is a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it is tied to the Zygarde cube. As you find Zygarde cells you can return to Dexio and Sina for a Keystone and Mega Stones... That kind of thing seems possible.

Um, why do the Aether Foundation employees make people think they're villain grunts? Every professional job has a uniform, and this is theirs.
While from a real-life perspective this makes sense, in the pokemon universe only villainous teams have uniformed employees. While there are plenty of examples of shared trainer sprites/models, none of them seem to be unique to specific organizations (unless you want to argue that Boss Joey is enforcing an all-shorts dress code on the other youngsters. On an unrelated note, I have a new favorite headcanon). The key thing is that the shared sprites of the villainous organizations are explicitly the uniforms of a specific organization. Other NPC's with shared sprites don't have any established relationship to each other. Even for police officers, it's not clear whether they all belong to the same precinct or what level of organization between them exists. We never see a police chief, nor any organized action by officers against villainous teams (angry old men tend to be more effectual). When it comes to large organizations, villainous teams are pretty much the only ones that exist in the pokemon world.

Moreover, there are a lot of other factors in favor of them being villainous teams. One of the huge clues is that the Aether Foundation plays heavily into the Promethean themes that have strongly influenced the pokemon series. Starting with Mewtwo, the series has always had the warning of the dangers of meddling with the natural order. The artificial island and mission statement of the Aether Foundation plays heavily into that theme. There's also the subtle word choice of using "experiments" instead of "research". Pay careful attention throughout the series: the pokemon professors do research, the evil organizations perform experiments. In the real world this would again be a stupid non-distinction, but in the pokemon universe "experiments" imply some kind of unnatural interference and therefor tend to be much more suspect. This is more subtle and subjective, but the Aether Foundation hews closely to themes associated with villains in the pokemon universe.

Another issue is that we haven't actually seen very many large organizations with a clearly-defined hierarchy in the pokemon world. Forget uniforms and sprites, let's just look at the organizations themselves. Setting aside villainous teams, we've seen Silph Co, Devon Co, and... maybe Lysandre Labs if you want to count that separately from Team Flare? The pokemon league doesn't seem to actually have any central authority, there's little evidence of a central government, and what few police officers we see don't seem to be part of any larger force and we've never seen a police chief or any indication of some kind of leadership or command hierarchy. The point is, the pokemon universe seems to have exactly two kinds of large organization: passive mega corporations that never do anything proactive in the story, and villainous teams. Once again, Aether clearly isn't going to be a passive part of the story and fits much more nicely on the villainous team side of the spectrum.

Next up we have the rather distinct choice of words for Lusamine's introduction: "Even pokemon from distant worlds, far from the Alola region, are worthy of my love". You can sense the hubris dripping off that comment, and it seems likely to be setting up the villain for her downfall. It's similar, if a tad more subtle, than Lysandre's introduction with Diantha in XY. Lusamine seems a bit more subtle than Lysandre in terms of the "villain vibe", but not by much. However, I wouldn't say that's definitive since Zinnia was even worse than this and she never got her comeuppance. Still, Lusamine seems much closer to the arrogant introduction of Lysandre than the mercurial introduction of Zinnia (who only became insufferable later on, and I'd attribute that more to bad writing than the intent of the writers) and I'd be much more inclined to draw the comparison between Lusamine and Lysandre which supports the villain conclusion.

Finally - and this is probably just wishful thinking on my part - but we are LONG overdue for a female antagonist lead and Lusamine fits the bill perfectly.

TL;DR None of this is certain, but virtually everything we currently know about the Aether Foundation is consistent with them being an antagonist in the pokemon series. It could be a cunning misdirection to play against the expectations of older fans, or maybe we're all reading way too deep into this stuff as we often do. Until we get confirmation one way or another I'm certain this fan theory will persist, and a lot of people are going to feel very strongly that Team Aether Foundation are actually villains.

Here's a bit of speculation on where they may be going with Jangmo-o's line. So according to Bulbapedia the name could basically mean "jangling lizard". So perhaps the scales make noise as it moves.
Then it has Bulletproof, perhaps because of the protection provided by the scales, and Soundproof because it probably makes too much noise to hear sound based attacks (lol).
All of this is making me suspicious that a secondary Steel typing could be added later in the evoutionary line as the jangling scaly protection gets more developed.
Jangmo-o's s back and head are already light grey like many Steel types. (By the way fwiw, I say Jang-mow-oh).

Or Type:null in every successive game after this one. No idea how they're gonna work that hot mess into things.
It doesn't appear as a wild pokemon in successive games. Or: some subjects escaped captivity and *insert Jeff Goldblum quote here.*

Edit: Look at Porygon, an artifically created Pokemon that Type: Null will probably be like: Uncatchable in the wild and not really appearing much in games after its debut.

Last edited:
(By the way fwiw, I say Jang-mow-oh).
I'd love an official pronunciation of it, since depending how you approach it there's quite a few variants. Is "-", specifically "o-o" (and (OuO) to you too!) used in Hawaiian? Or maybe there's another language it definitely draws from (possibly even English, but that doesn't help much). I have absolutely no idea. I refuse to say it at all until I know for sure, sooooo-o many pitfalls D:

Having taken it in...

Weird name aside, I actually quite like Type:Null. It's design is actually quite cool and I think it could be quite interesting what they do with it.

So going back through my copy of X after hearing Karxrida mention an NPC with some strange dialogue, I tracked her down and wrote down what she says:

"They say that the strange group dressed in red managed to find Xerneas asleep somewhere. A few years back, a different group of people came around here, asking the same questions."

This is super curious, seeing as Colress also happened to be in the region a few years ago as well, as told be the traveler on route 10. According a timeline confirmed in 2014, XY and BW2 happened at the same time, meaning Colress would have likely visited during or after BW1. I highly doubt its a coincidence these two figures are here by coincidence.

Coming back to this again, you can clearly see a not exact but 90% identical mark on the book Colress reads. Colress's main stichk was that he was always studying the potential of Pokemon, and has even shown to put his research before anything else, even the lives of Unova or the ambitions of Neo Plasma. Ting this to Sun Moon, Aether is obviously pretty suspicious. Rescuing and research in thee same group has never gone well in a fantasy setting, and I doubt they will be much different. There is also a glaring similarity with a lot of prominent NPCs shown off yesterday, specifically Lusamine, Gladion, and Lillie. All have blond hair and similar eye colors to one another. Baring Lillie, all are affected by science in some way shape or form. (Gladion's partner is a man made chimera, remember this).

What I'm trying to say is a bunch of puzzle pieces are about to fall into place this gen, and Colress would be a very high piece to fit in somehow.

Can people stop going crazy of the Colress Symbol and the Z Bracelet. They are not similar apart from the fact the use straight line. The book has triangles at the top and bottem, the Z Crystal has a Z in the middle, the Z Crystal has two triangles on each side. Are we really trying to suggest they were plannign Gen 7 while Gen 5 was in production because the symbols aren't remotely alike. Even the has differences (curves VS straight lines). If you're going to make a case that Colress is related to S/M can you please use evidence that isn't an extreme stretch at best.

Sorry if I sounded angry in this rant it just annoys me how people are going "The symbols are SO similar Colress must be in S/M!!!".

Can people stop going crazy of the Colress Symbol and the Z Bracelet. They are not similar apart from the fact the use straight line. The book has triangles at the top and bottem, the Z Crystal has a Z in the middle, the Z Crystal has two triangles on each side. Are we really trying to suggest they were plannign Gen 7 while Gen 5 was in production because the symbols aren't remotely alike. Even the has differences (curves VS straight lines). If you're going to make a case that Colress is related to S/M can you please use evidence that isn't an extreme stretch at best.

Sorry if I sounded angry in this rant it just annoys me how people are going "The symbols are SO similar Colress must be in S/M!!!".

The book also has 2 triangles on each side, and triangles on the top and bottom. The Only thing missing from is the Z pattern, which I'm willing to forgive since A) it's a book, and B) design could have been updated anytime during the last 6 years or so.

So this was really interesting yesterday and seemed to support the "Gladion = Aether family member" theory, since we know that Aether is named after beans and Skull is named after flowers. But as I was reading Bulbapedia today I noticed that someone had found and added Gladion's name source as this, which is in fact a tropical flower. They are both named after the same Latin root, so we can't say that it's definitely based on one or the other, but this would make him fit better with the rest of Team Skull.

This throws a wrench into one of the pieces of supporting evidence, although I'd say that most of us are still expecting the plot twist anyway for Game Freak-related reasons.

The book also has 2 triangles on each side, and triangles on the top and bottom. The Only thing missing from is the Z pattern, which I'm willing to forgive since A) it's a book, and B) design could have been updated anytime during the last 6 years or so.

If you could point me in the direction of the side triangles on the book I would greatly appreciate it. Because I can't see triangles on the side of the book (unless you mean the negative space which still isn't a triangle). I also don't see triangles on the top of the Z Bracelet. Or anything else I mentioned, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)