Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pikachu315111 is at work when the news is released, we'll probably get a bunch of information :P

I was wondering if the flavor meant anything for the Ultra Beasts' abilities and moves, so I'm going to make a list everything relating to them. I'll also include items because why not?

Absorbtion:
Absorb, Leech Life, Draining Kiss, Oblivion Wing, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Dream Eater, Horn Leech, Leech Seed, Parabolic Charge
Big Root

Power: (I won't list everything since that's a huge category)
Pure Power, Huge Power, Solar Power, Adaptability, Sheer Force, Steadfast, Moxie, Guts, No Guard
Strength, Power-Up-Punch, Superpower, Hidden Power, Ancient Power, Cosmic Power, Stored Power, Power Split, Power Whip, Power Gem, Earth Power, Power Swap, Power Trick, Nature Power, Extrasensory (Japanese name), Secret Power, all punching moves
Power items, Choice items, Life Orb

Beauty:
Cute Charm, Serene Grace, Sweet Veil, Aroma Veil,
Attract, Captivate, Baby-Doll-Eyes, Sweet Kiss, Lovely Kiss

Speed: Speed Boost, Gale Wings, Prankster, Quick Feet, Run Away (lol), Stamina, Unburden, Wimp Out (lol)
Extreme Speed, Quick Attack, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave, Fake Out, Shadow Sneak

Both: Intimidate, Mold Breaker variation, Pressure, New broken ability

Most likely are bolded
I only listed the priority moves that weren't absolutely out of the question for Speed. I don't see Beauty getting Ice Shard or Mach Punch.

If they go the new broken abilities route, I could see Absorption getting Power-Up-Punch the ability and Beauty getting an instant universal Cute Charm (it'd actually be funny to Cryognal attracted to it since it can learn attract but never use it or be affected by it). Moves would be pure speculation (and what I just said was already borderline), so I won't make any suggestions.

I do hope we get the typings and abilities of Rockruff's evolutions confirmed. I'd also like to see them animated.

That said, with only 3 months to go, where were we with the pre-release info in the XY cycle?

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of Ash-Greninja, where is it? There's no sign of it while we have Zygarde's formes confirmed for the games, even when they were both revealed to exist on the same day over a year ago.

I do hope we get the typings and abilities of Rockruff's evolutions confirmed. I'd also like to see them animated.

That said, with only 3 months to go, where were we with the pre-release info in the XY cycle?
Going off Serebii and the pictures released:

In July 2013, they showed off Honedge, Pangoro, Spritzee, Swirlix, Spewpa, Inkay, Malamar, Gym Leaders Grant and Clemont, the photo spot at Parfum Palace, the PSS, Holocaster, GTS, O Powers, and Team Flare. (Apparently, CoroCoro said Team Flare's only purpose was to make money.) We had to go off a sketch for Trevenant because it was first shown in a movie. CoroCoro mentioned Skrelp and Clauncher's exclusivity. They revealed that Sycamore battles the player.

In August, they first revealed Mega Evolutions with Mega Blaziken, Lucario, Absol, Mawile, and Mega Mewtwo Y (but they didn't market it as "Y" at the time). They revealed Bunnelby, Dedenne, and Skiddo, Korrina, and we got our first glimpse at Super Training. There was an English demo of Route 3 with a ride-able Skiddo. The demo showed how Mega Evolution works (by just pressing the big button). Fairy-Type moves were shown to not be very effective against Fire-Types. Apparently one of the demos had a Shiny Sylveon.

In September, they revealed that players will also have a choice between the Kanto starters and they revealed Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Blastoise. They revealed Pyroar, then the starter evolutions, Furfrou's different haircuts, Meowstic, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Amaura, Aurorus, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Garchomp, Flabebe's forms, trainer customization, the Team Flare admins and Xerosic, and Diantha. They revealed Grass-types could no longer be seeded or affected by powder moves, Electric-Types could no longer be paralyzed, and Ghosts were no longer affected by moves that keep them from fleeing. At the end of the month, they revealed Doublade.

In October, they revealed Mega Charizard X, Slurpuff, and Aromatisse. Mega Aggron, Mega Gengar, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Kangaskhan were shown in that month's CoroCoro. And of course the the game leaked.

It's actually a little surprising looking back we only knew of Megas 2 months before the game came out, whereas we've known about Z-moves for quite a while.

EDIT: Might want to note that before this, we only knew about Mega Mewtwo Y being an "awakened" form, the starters, Sylveon and the Fairy-Type, Pancham, Helioptile, Gogoat, we could ride Gogoat, Fletchling, the fact we had 3 separate Pokedexes, different looks for the trainer we could start with, Noivern, Vivillon, Pokemon Amie, Talonflame, Clauncher, Skrelp, horde battles, Scatterbug, Flabebe, some of the companions, and the first gym.

Last edited:
Wasn't Mega Mewtwo X revealed accidentally around that time or I'm confused?

EDIT: Re-reading that post, I guess the "leak" happened in August.

Speaking of Ash-Greninja, where is it? There's no sign of it while we have Zygarde's formes confirmed for the games, even when they were both revealed to exist on the same day over a year ago.
The same corocoro feature that revealed Zygarde also showcased Ash-Greninja and specifically mentioned that it was an anime-only thing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If Pikachu315111 is at work when the news is released, we'll probably get a bunch of information :P
Well then you're all in luck... *sigh*

As for the rest of your post, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they won't have normal Abilities or Moves (UB-02 Beauty is suppose to infatuate ANY gender, no Ability nor Move does that so for it to stay true to its description it'll at least need a new Ability or Move to do that). I wouldn't be surprised if they had Abilities and Moves specially made for them, possibly even given their own "type" (which either does neutral or maybe even super effective damage to every other type (though that was the gimmick of Shadow Pokemon in the Colosseum games and you could send out another Shadow Pokemon to receive not very effective damage; so unless there's a way to prevent SE damage it'll probably just be neutral)). From a designer standpoint this will allow them better control over how the battle goes, instead of certain types having an advantage/disadvantage they can make it so all players have the same challenge but the difference is how they go about it. Heck, they could be given different kind of limits like maybe have their HP be a set amount instead of based off a base HP stat (meaning they could go above the 255 BST limit), give them multiple Abilities, and more than four Moves. I'm expecting when facing an Ultra Beast anything goes so you got to be ready for anything.

Hm, from what I can tell the page detailing about Ash-Greninja has vanished off the official site. Possibly a hint the site staff realized Ash-Greninja is an anime exclusive thing so deleted the article once they could put the Zygarde Formes on the Sun & Moon site?

Okay, I suppose it could also mean they're waiting for an official announcement to also put it on the Sun & Moon site, but, no. Ash-Greninja was an anime thing, they didn't want to give Ash the Ability to use Mega Evolution so instead gave Greninja a super power-up exclusive to it so they could better control how powerful they wanted Ash to be. Also it's an easy way to reset Ash for the next season since he would be dropping Greninja like all his other Pokemon (had Ash been able to use Mega Evolution they'd have to write around why Ash dropping the Pokemon which the Z-Ring is only useful for (maybe even giving him a new Mega Evolution which would limit their choices)). Charizard and Mega Charizard Y deserves better than this.

The same corocoro feature that revealed Zygarde also showcased Ash-Greninja and specifically mentioned that it was an anime-only thing.
I don't think it said that, otherwise no one would be going on about them adding it to the games (and possibly calling out on them not giving Ash the ability to Mega Evolve). Also not helping is they added Ash-Greninja to Pokemon Shuffle (though they also added various Pikachu expressions so make of that what you will).

To add to Pikachu315111's answer, it's been basically confirmed that Ash's going to drop Greninja before his departure to Alola. There's even an episode coming up in the next month titled, "Farwell Ash-Greninja." If Ash-Greninja were a Sun / Moon thing, then it wouldn't make any sense for Ash to leave Greninja behind; rather, it would make more sense for Greninja to go to Alola with him to promote whatever new phenomena allows Greninja to transform. And so, since Greninja's leaving the anime, I think it's a safe assumption that it's powers aren't in Sun / Moon, and that it was just an anime exclusive power that the writers put in to spice things up.

A bit disappointing, but at the same time, getting Z-moves in addition to a new Ash-Greninja-like transformation might be too much and make the new generation feel too cluttered or confusing for newcomers. So I can understand why they might not even want to consider putting it in.

To add to Pikachu315111's answer, it's been basically confirmed that Ash's going to drop Greninja before his departure to Alola. There's even an episode coming up in the next month titled, "Farwell Ash-Greninja." If Ash-Greninja were a Sun / Moon thing, then it wouldn't make any sense for Ash to leave Greninja behind; rather, it would make more sense for Greninja to go to Alola with him to promote whatever new phenomena allows Greninja to transform. And so, since Greninja's leaving the anime, I think it's a safe assumption that it's powers aren't in Sun / Moon, and that it was just an anime exclusive power that the writers put in to spice things up.

A bit disappointing, but at the same time, getting Z-moves in addition to a new Ash-Greninja-like transformation might be too much and make the new generation feel too cluttered or confusing for newcomers. So I can understand why they might not even want to consider putting it in.
That and they are hitting Ash with the reset button so hard it seems to have taken off a year or two based on the new art. It wouldn't make sense to have a powerhouse like his Greninja in tow.

Not that any of this is exactly new, just this is one of the more extreme gulfs from "top of the world" to "how do I pokemon?"

Last edited:
It always annoyed me how people keep asking where Ash-Grebinja was when it was obvious from the start it was an anime mechanic. Why would they bring an anime character into S/M? Why would they bring a Gen 6 Pokemon to have an important role in terms of game mechanics in S/M. There's no sign of it, which makes me really glad as people have started to stop talking about the whole thing.

On an unrelated note, my Youtube is filled with "WTF IS THIS" videos about the S/M anime despite the fact that I have watched barely anything Pokemon related bar trailers and Generations.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My pet theory is that Ash-Greninja is actually Mega Greninja from a cancelled Pokémon Z game. All three Kalos starters are quite humanoid, so it would not be that difficult to give them dynamic Megas based on their Trainer's current hair style and clothes. Most of that can be achieved using dynamic textures and dynamic assets, both of which are already used to implement Trainer customization. The animation package works independently of this, the clothes and hair are simply "tacked on" to the base Trainer model and follow its every move. Doing the same for a humanoid Pokémon model wouldn't be too far off. A similar technique is even used already for the animation of certain moves such as Fire Punch, where a fireball is tacked on to the Pokémon's fist as it attacks.

However, the Ash-Greninja in-battle transformation works differently than Mega Evolution. That's a quite big sign that differentiates Ash-Greninja from regular Megas. Then again, the episodes are produced almost a year before they air. It could be that a Mega Greninja Z was written into the Anime when Z was still a thing, but there was time to remove its transformation sequence from the animation of the episodes, and all references to Mega Evolution from the dubbing. With only a few small changes, the already-written story could progress as planned, even with Pokémon Z cancelled.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Why would they bring an anime character into S/M? Why would they bring a Gen 6 Pokemon to have an important role in terms of game mechanics in S/M. There's no sign of it, which makes me really glad as people have started to stop talking about the whole thing.
cough zygarde cough

Your post is exactly whats been bothering me all these months. Z moves, Alola forms, no gyms, UBs, (potential) alt forms for the starters AND every other Pokémon with a gimmick, Alola is overflowing with new features. Ash-Greninja probably won't be a thing... Not sure how I feel about this...

Being 2 days away from my birthday tomorrow I hope we got just one more new Pokemon in addition to Rockruff's EVO, but after the UB-02 news drop I know where to set my expectations lol. Feels kind of odd to me that we haven't seen any of Pikipeck's evolutions though. We knew about Talonflame by now for X/Y.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Zygarde appears in the games as well. My point was mainly about anime exclusives? ...lol?
You know what I meant: 10%, complete, cores, and cells. These and ash-greninja were in corocoro first, then the anime and a bunch of spinoff games (like picross) and merchandise.

You know what I meant: 10%, complete, cores, and cells. These and ash-greninja were in corocoro first, then the anime and a bunch of spinoff games (like picross) and merchandise.
There's are marked difference in Zygarde and Ash-Greninja. One is fused with an Anime character, the other is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)