Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling it now: Aether Foundation creates pokemon chimeras for whatever reason, and their whole island and reason for having one is a front for their real agenda. The island is where they create and keep their projects.
How long 'til we get fan art of Full Metal Alchemist's Father of the Year as Green Bean Guy? Bonus points for a Type: Null going "Da...ddy?"

Also, if you think about it, Type: Null may very well be the unique 'cat' that was mentioned in the leaks. It was synthetically created, and therefore might be prone to instability in its genetic code, and the overall theme of the pokémon lends itself to change. Null, in programing, indicates an empty variable, but something that can be filled in at a later point. This is one of the purposes of zero in coding as well.
If that is the case, then the collar's design doesn't seem coincidental: Arceus is known to be able to change its typing. It also means that it being Normal-type makes a lot of sense too: Normal can be seen as an absence of typing, since it is pretty ordinary. Type: Null would indicate that it lacks a typing as it is something that will be filled in later. (Which i do hope will be a thing.)

Btw: mythological Chimera was part lion.

Btw, did you guys know that there is an actual mythological reason Solgaleo isn't a fire type? It's based off of a dog who guarded the sun or something if I recall correctly, but not actually the sun. Kind of cool stuff.
There's also the Alchemical symbol of a Green Lion eating the Sun, which on a chemic level is a symbol for an acid that "purifies" materials, leaving gold behind.

Tory

Banned deucer.
To be fair, there hasn't been a lot of water type Pokemon released in this gen, and Wishiwashi looks like a beast. Minus the fire dragon, have any fire type Pokemon been revealed? I mean, there is a freaking volcano! Maybe that volcano is late game like with Heatran but who knows?
When the D/P remake comes out later, I don't see the point of Heatran in Alola volcanoes.
So you're saying the would-be fire legend cat is actually a dog.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

The three beasts, Raikou, Entei, Suicune are felines with canine-like features. But their closer to cats to me.

Wow, the Japanese trailer makes me even more hyped for this game!!

Type: Null seems like a really interesting concept for a Pokemon, but I hope it's not terrible competitively. I'd love to have one of those on my team.

Loving the obvious reference to Kalos with 2 of the 5 "rivals" too. Bring on SuMo!

I'm SO hyped.
The atmosphere on Alola is top notch, better than any previous generation. Ok, it's unfair since the technology wasn't helping before but...Each place has this unique aura about it. Loving it.

The UB are interesting, I really like them as bosses to defeat besides Team Skull and possibly Aether Foundation.

All characters are really well designed, I love each of them and the fashion (Yes, the fashion) feels Pokemon as well.

Of the new Pokemon, I LOVE Jangmo-o (Pronounced Jangmoo as in Spanish, without making the "oo" an "u") and will probably be part of my team. Which so far has mutated a lot, and will have a lot of rotation.

It does all come together, huh.

The shapes of its front and hind legs are clearly different. The reason is that Type: Null was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation.

To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology.
The Aether Foundation has constructed an artificial island called Aether Paradise. There, they not only provide shelter for Pokémon, but also conduct various research projects.
So the descriptive excerpts seem to heavily suggest that the Aether Foundation "rescues" endangered Pokemon from Team Skull, only to conduct "various research projects" on them in secret. Type: Null is a chimera of many different Pokemon stitched together, probably an example of this "research."

People have mentioned the Arceus ring already, but I do think the chimeric nature lends itself to a bit more definition; it has a fish tail (Water), scaly forelegs (Dragon)... if I had to take a guess, the Aether Foundation tried to create an "ultimate" Pokemon of all types to rival a certain other ultimate Pokemon that could be of all types. But they failed, and now the poor thing is suffering and is weighed down by a heavy straitjacket-esque helmet to keep it from lashing out.

The idea of a "good" team actually being evil isn't exactly new, as we saw it with Team Plasma, but this time around GF at least seems to want to keep the Aether Foundation moderately a surprise instead of how they handled Team Plasma.

If that is the case, then the collar's design doesn't seem coincidental: Arceus is known to be able to change its typing. It also means that it being Normal-type makes a lot of sense too: Normal can be seen as an absence of typing, since it is pretty ordinary.
Not only this, but the normal-type seems to used for unclassified types. When the fairies were retconned in, the only pokémon who received full type changes (the Clefairy, Snubbull, and Togepi lines) were all normal-types originally, as opposed to the pokémon who simply gained fairy as a secondary type. Likewise, the three moves that were retconned to be fairy-type, Moonlight, Sweet Kiss, and Charm, were also normal-type moves.

Another thing that's interesting about Null: Type is that there's an implied...I don't want to say form change, but rather, power up that comes with it. The official site states that the helmet is "a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It’s extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null’s agility". To me, this sounds not unlike the armor that Giovanni used on Mewtwo in the anime, or the Red Chain Cyrus used on Dialga and Palkia. I can't image they would go out of their way to draw attention to it without playing on it, but then again, this is Pokémon, home of the Grey Dragon and AZ's Floette. It could just be flavor text. It just feels like this pokémon is going to be important, somehow. It should be noted that there was a mission spoken of in the past tense that speaks of Null: Type having a great power.

Jangmo-o's fluff entry on the official website makes multiple mentions of it training.

Feel free to correct me, but the only pokedex entries that mention training are those of fighting types right? Right??

Btw, did you guys know that there is an actual mythological reason Solgaleo isn't a fire type? It's based off of a dog who guarded the sun or something if I recall correctly, but not actually the sun. Kind of cool stuff.
Yeah, the lion that eats the sun representing the purification of metals? Old news.

Also, love the direction that this game is going. Type:Null is one of my all-time favorites, and I love the Cutiefly evo.

Yo guys not sure if I should really bring this up, but hasn't there been a leak in which it was said that time would flow differently between pokemon sun and moon? If so, it just got confirmed.

Also, isn't it kind of weird for Zygarde Cell to be found in Alola? I think we all just assumed it would be thrown into some post-game sidestory ala ORAS' Delta Episode, but it seems that Zygarde will be fully incorporated into the main story which is quite intriguing. We've got the emissaries of the sun, the moon and the earth all in the same game, I do wonder what will come of it.

So the descriptive excerpts seem to heavily suggest that the Aether Foundation "rescues" endangered Pokemon from Team Skull, only to conduct "various research projects" on them in secret. Type: Null is a chimera of many different Pokemon stitched together, probably an example of this "research."
I would find it very plausible.

*cue Game Freak actually making them a Red Herring*

Opinions on newly revealed information before I read any other posts:

Jangmo-o
It is adorable, though I have a feeling this little guy will be our new Pseudo. It reminds me too much of things like Gible and Larvitar. I also like its abilities and both are useful. I have a feeling that Soundproof will be the one most used as it makes it safe from Pixelate Hyper Voices. Actually, the abilties do support it being a Psuedo as all of them can have an immunity, either through typing, ability, or both.
(Let it be a better Goodra!)
I will name you Jango.

Type: Null
Interesting design and concept as it is some sort of horrifying synthetic chimera of death. And that description makes me wonder what its stats will be (beside having low base speed).

Raticate-A
We all knew this was coming and it seems like they are trying to make it look even more like Cuddles the Hamster from Monster Blood II. There's nothing really talk about other than the design (since all other pertinent information is the same as Ratatta-A) and to be honest, I prefer classic Raticate as orange is my favorite color.

Unknown, possible Cutiefly evo

I love Cutiefly and I love this thing. That is all.

Aether Foundation
I don't trust them. There is just something about them that alerts the portion of my brain that senses plot twists which is rather good (I figured out the plot twist of The Sixth Sense when I was 6 after the first scene). And it doesn't help that their employees remind me of Grunts.
I do think Wicke is kinda cute, though.

Gladion
Meh.

Ultra Beasts (UB-01)
I don't think these will be catchable or considered actual Pokémon. Not only does this remind me of Shadow Lugia from Pokémon XD, but it is also, oddly, reminding me of PokéStar Studios. How many "battles" did we have with non-Pokémon in there? I could be wrong.
UB-01 has a cool design, though.

Actually, let me see something...yeah, UB-01 is not present in the Pokémon list on the official website. Makes me feel a little more confident in my theory.

Poké Finder
Well, we keep asking for Snap on the 3DS, so they just incorporated it into Sun and Moon. Okay.
It would be cute if we could take pictures of our Pokémon in the Day Care...well, as long as they aren't...you know...

Zygarde Cube
It's nice to see Sycamore's two assistants and I like how they are incorporating the Cores and Cells.

Version Differences
If I had these games when I was in high school, I would have seen a lot more daytime in game (I plan on getting Moon)! That's a neat concept, to be honest. I also like how there will be differences beyond version exclusives, I mean, we've seen in with paired Hoenn and Unova games, nowhere else.

Japanese Trailer Clips of Alola
Wow, that's very pretty.

Now, onto reading other people's posts:
It would be funny if Day/Night in those games are just different stages of the sun rising/setting and never pure day/night.
That does happen in parts of the world. Technically, in the UK, it never truly becomes night during the summer (night begins with the Sun is below a certain point of the horizon, with none of its light being visible*).

*Not counting moonlight, of course)

Why does UB-01 look exactly like the Professor's assistant Lillie? Is she an "Ultra Beast"?

UB-01 is said to move like a little girl. Nice catch.

"Because urban areas are their main habitat, their diet is higher in calories than ordinary Raticate. As a result, they have become hefty."

lol.
What are in those pancakes?

Wasn't the time difference between versions mentioned in one of the leaks?
Since the games are called Sun and Moon, that's not a difficult guess to make.

Guys... guess who is back

So... XY -> Sun & Moon Timeline confirmed? (Also, they look way older than in XY, but maybe is because the models are not chibi anymore)

Edit:
It's just that they aren't chibi.

Also, if the UB monsters aren't catchable, Game Freak has just set up a perfect opportunity for a certain, beloved someone (something?) to return. MissingNo. has become a part of Pokémon lore by itself, and remembered by many who played RBY twenty years ago. Wouldn't it be great for it to pop by as an Ultimate Beast, fight the player using Water Gun and Sky Attack, ruin the Hall of Fame, leave a mess of Master Balls behind, and then leave?

I was wondering where they pulled the Aether names from.
They pulled them from thin air. Or, you know, the aether.

I have a theory: Type:Null is a chimera made by men using the starters (mostly their evolutions) and rockruff ( and his evolutions). Why?
The tail reminds me a water-type pokemon and in this case popplio's evo.
The body reminds me the litten line and are catlike to me.
The forelegs are green and reminds me the birds legs
The head could be related to rockruff's possible evolution, but this is could be a little far-fetched.

What do you guys think?
I can see it.

Side note:
Are we actually doing the megas-might-be-scrapped conversation again lmaoooooooo this horse is deader than rapidash in ubers
Best. Analogy. EVER.

Not only this, but the normal-type seems to used for unclassified types. When the fairies were retconned in, the only pokémon who received full type changes (the Clefairy, Snubbull, and Togepi lines) were all normal-types originally, as opposed to the pokémon who simply gained fairy as a secondary type. Likewise, the three moves that were retconned to be fairy-type, Moonlight, Sweet Kiss, and Charm, were also normal-type moves.

Another thing that's interesting about Null: Type is that there's an implied...I don't want to say form change, but rather, power up that comes with it. The official site states that the helmet is "a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It’s extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null’s agility". To me, this sounds not unlike the armor that Giovanni used on Mewtwo in the anime, or the Red Chain Cyrus used on Dialga and Palkia. I can't image they would go out of their way to draw attention to it without playing on it, but then again, this is Pokémon, home of the Grey Dragon and AZ's Floette. It could just be flavor text. It just feels like this pokémon is going to be important, somehow. It should be noted that there was a mission spoken of in the past tense that speaks of Null: Type having a great power.
I think it's also important that Type: Null is the signature Pokemon of a what seems like a major NPC, too (Gladion). It's important enough to Gladion that the website directly calls it his "partner Pokemon." This strongly implies that it will have something special about it, as many signature villain Pokemon do; in ORAS and XY, this meant a Mega, but for SM I do think that there could be a special Z-move form for Type: Null that breaks off its helmet.

Updating my post from before:

My theory on Alolan forms is that if a Pokemon has been shown in their usual form in the trailers (except to show the difference between the old and new forms) or in the case of the overworld Meowth which does not come from the Alola region in one of the first Japanese trailers then it will not have an Alolan form. I think this is a very safe assumption because so far this hypothesis is correct, but please correct me with the appropriate link if I am wrong.

So far for Alolan pokemon we have:
Rattata
Raticate
Raichu (but not Pikachu)
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Vulpix
Ninetails
Meowth (no word on Persian, but probably safe to assume)
Exeggutor (but not Exeggcute)
Marowak (but not Cubone)

Now things they all have in common are that they are all Generation I, have no-mega evolutions already and did not receive a type change or (split) evolution in a later generation. Also, I think it is unlikely that legendary Pokemon, man-made or fossil Pokemon will receive Alolan forms.

So with these assumptions that leaves the following final-stage Pokemon eligible:

1. Butterfree (I saw someone say that Butterfree has already been shown in a trailer but I can't find it)
2. Arbok
3. Nidoqueen
4. Nidoking
5. Parasect
6. Venomoth
7. Dugtrio
8. Golduck
9. Victreebel
10. Tentacruel
11. Golem
12. Rapidash
13. Farfetch'd
14. Dodrio
15. Dewgong
16. Muk
17. Cloyster
18. Kingler
19. Electrode
20. Weezing
21. Seaking
22. Starmie
23. Jynx

Bolded are my predictions for most likely to receive Alolan forms but that is just speculation. But if I made any mistakes or omissions please let me know.

I have a feeling Type: Null's HA is going to be Download, given the 'cyber' sounding name and it looks like it can do both physical and special attacks. Kinda disappointed it's not Normal/Steel because it totally looks the part.

Also I love the Cutiefly evo??? Tbh i was kinda on the fence about our little fairy bug but now it's earned a spot on my team. EDIT: Ok I saw the Japanese trailer and I'm gonna die because Misdreavus is obtainable in Moon and Mismagius is my favorite Pokemon so my team is
- Rowlet
- Mismagius
- Cutiefly
- Whatever the fossil is
- Raichu-A
- Type: Null

Last edited:
When the D/P remake comes out later, I don't see the point of Heatran in Alola volcanoes.

The three beasts, Raikou, Entei, Suicune are felines with canine-like features. But their closer to cats to me.
The three beasts are mythological beasts rather than cats or dogs. Entei is based on a Foo shi, Raikou is based on the Raijin, and Suicune is based on a Kirin.

But does Type: Null remind anyone else of some things?

Makini Mask

King Kamehameha's crested headdress

HUh, for once a main series game is actually shaping up to possibly have a good in game story. But on the subject of the more important stuff I love the new raticate. It is ADORABLE. The dragon is as well. Type: Null is a stupid name imo, but eh, it doesn't look really terrible just not good either. Hopefully it has some really cool backstory or something to make it shine better. Cutiefly evo look nice. And what is with the terrible naming scheme? UB-01 hopefully is not the species name. But over all good. Much much better than stupid poses being made for ultra super moves of doom. :P Also Aether Paradise is totally the main bad guys and Skull will most likely be helping us in the end. (This is really giving off a JRP vibe and I know my JRPs lol)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is it possible that Type: Null is a Pokémon Form of sorts, and not a true Pokémon in itself?

Its name being different in Spanish and Italian is one indicator. Why keep names like Mr. Mime, or the many "punny" English names for Pokémon, but suddenly translate this one unusual name?

As Frankie Avalon said two pages back, it could be argued that Type: Null is an amalgation of the starter lines and Rockruff. In July's CoroCoro, it was stated that the starter lines and Rockruff all hide a secret. Note that it is not stated that they share the secret, so it could just be that they all get unique Z-moves, but it is intriguing nonetheless.

I'm starting to get a feeling that we're looking at a Kyurem situation here. That Type: Null is a splice of sorts, a temporary Form that can be used in battle, but which doesn't have a Pokédex number. I think the name is the biggest (only?) indicator, it seems they've gone out of the way to not create a proper Pokémon name for it, and the translators don't treat it like one either.

Come to think of it, apart from those seen in today's trailer, there seems to be other "half-Pokémon" around in Sun and Moon too: The Rotom Dex. I'm willing to bet that it won't be useable as a regular team member, but it appears you'll be lugging it around all the time nonetheless. It seems like Gen VII will be challenging some conventions as to what constitutes a Pokémon, and what Pokémon can be said to be owned and used by a Trainer.

About Type: Null name:
I actually think it's because when scanned, Pokedex detects an error and print it (Reason why it depends on the language). It's the name of it because it probably stuck among trainers.

Null and Zero, while not the same, most often indicates a falsy value which could be the result of scanning something outside of the dex scope.

About Type: Null name:
I actually think it's because when scanned, Pokedex detects an error and print it (Reason why it depends on the language). It's the name of it because it probably stuck among trainers.

Null and Zero, while not the same, most often indicates a falsy value which could be the result of scanning something outside of the dex scope.
I like this idea. It's called Type: Null by the dex because Rotom has no clue what it is.

Maybe there are "Type:"s with other values like Type: Fire or Type: All. (as forms, not individual mons)

Last edited:
Corocoro in a few days. Wonder what else we will get. The news is coming fast and hard now.
CoroCoro promised they would reveal Rockruffs evolved form and secret that it shares with the starters. I am guessing that they all have unique Z moves. So maybe we will see secoind forms for the starters as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)