Pokémon Genesect (Read the OP pls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genesect is getting suppect tested and MIGHT get banned, feel free to dicuss about it and NOT about how broken it's. Thanks.

Genesect

Typing: Bug/Steel
Base Stat: 71 HP / 120 Atk / 95 Def / 120 SAtk / 95 SDef / 99 Spe
Ability: Download. Attack is increased when the foe’s Defense is lower than its Special Defense or increases Special Attack when the foe’s Special Defense is lower than its Defense.

Notable moves: (Bold indicates STAB)

Blaze Kick
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Explosion
Extreme Speed
Flamethrower
Flash Cannon
Giga Drain
Ice Beam
Iron Head
Rock Polish
Shift Gear
Thunderbolt
U-turn
X-Scissor

Intro

Meet Team Plasmas high tech modified metal bug of doom, Genesect. With a great movepool and great offensive stats this bug brings down terror to his opponents and the Gen 6 OU metagame. Thanks to its ability Download and 120 offenses, Genesect can run both Physical, Special or even a mixed set making it a hard to counter and predict before it might be too late. Its good Steel/Bug typing it gets a lot of resistances combined with its 71/95/95 defenses makes it able to take a strong neutral attack or two before going down. Its disappointing speed stat of 99 base speed leaves it outspeed by a lot of important threats in the base 100 mark. However Genesect have three ways of fixing it speed problems, Choice Scarf, Shift Gear or Rock Polish. Gensect is threat to take account for, because he will come and hunt you down.

Sets

Choice Scarf Special Based

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Naive / Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon / Extreme Speed / Thunderbolt

This is the standard Genesect set that most people remember it for, a great U-turn abuser and revenge killer. With a Choice Scarf attached Genesect hits 489 speed making it able to outspeed the entire metagame except speed demon Decoys-S with a speed nature. With Download Gensect gets a free attack or special attack boost deepening on it's opponent defenses. With an attack boost it reaches 415 Atk which is equal to a base 140 Atk with offensive nature, then it's just to use u-turn and dent something from there. If you manage to grab a special attack boost then you have the same attack as Rash Decoys-A in Berm! Ice Beam kills of dragons and flying types mostly the Genie trio, Flamethrower hits steel-types that foolishly tries to switch in bar Gensect arch nemesis Heat ran. The last slot depends on what you want and need. Flash Cannon nails Fairies and Tyranitar, Extreme Speed helps you pick off setup sweepers that have gotten a speed boost and Thunderbolt gives you the famous BoltBeam Combo. Extreme Speed forces you to run a shiny, Hasty Genesect as it's an event move.

Choice Scarf Physical Based

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sdef OR 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Explosion / Iron Head
- Blaze Kick / Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed

This the physical based Choice scarf set meant to wear down the opponent with U-turn and grab the momentum. U-turn is your spam to go attack. Extreme Speed gives you a chance to revenge kill something before it gets a chance to react. It then comes down to Iron Head vs Explosion, Iron Head is a good STAB that nails Fairies but Explosion allows you to go out with a boom and bring in something safely. Between Blaze Kick or Ice beam it depends on what you want to hit the most. Blaze Kick nails Steel-types, while Ice Beam kills dragons and flying types.

Rock Polish Sweeper

Genesect @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Bug Buzz / Flash Cannon / Giga Drain
- Rock Polish

With Rock Polish Genesect takes on the roll of a late game sweeper and brings teams to there knees. After Rock Polish and a Special attack boost from Download Gensect sits with 508 Special Attack and 652 Speed making it almost impossible to outspeed and revenge kill. With Lum Berry you can avoid crippling status and continue your sweep but Life orbs gives you way more power making a better option for killing. Flamethrower kills steel-types that might try to stop you and Ice beam hits dragons and flying types. The last move depends on what you want. Thunderbolt helps you hurt bulky Water-types, Bug Buzz is a good STAB move that hits through substitute and Flash Cannon is your other STAB move that kills Fairies. Giga Drain Can be used as an other method of hitting bulky Water-types hard and it also proves some recovery. Thunderbolt is the preferred move as Azumarill resists both Ice beam and Flamethrower and can kill you with Choice Band Waterfall before you can kill it with any other move.

Shift Gear Sweeper

Genesect @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Hasty Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Blaze Kick
- Extreme Speed / X-Scissor

With the release of the 13th move Genesect got itself some nice little gifts in form of Shift Gear, Blaze Kick and Extreme Speed making it able to use a physical endgame sweeping set. This set lures in its special set checks and kills them with physical attacks. With the Attack boost from Download and a Shift Gear boost later Genesect sits at +2 Atk and +2 Speed after only one round making it look like Terminator. Iron Head is your obvious STAB attack that knocks out everything that don't resists it. Blaze Kick nails almost everything that resists Iron Head making at a good move combo. Extreme Speed makes sure that you don't get any priority attack thrown at you before you can attack, while X-Scissor gives you a second STAB attack.

Expert Belt

Genesect @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk OR 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Hasty / Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Giga Drain / Iron Head

This is set is meant to bluff a Choice Scarf set with Expert belt and then kill something when they don't expect it. U-turn helps you bluffing a Scarf and after you have killed something you hit them hard with an other super effective attack as they switch in something they think can force you out. Between Thunderbolt, Energy ball and Iron Head comes the choice of what you fear the most. Both Thunderbolt and Energy Ball hit bulky water types, but Energy ball hit Water/Ground-types and Rotom-W harder while Thunderbolt give you better coverage. If you don't have much trouble with bulky Water-types then you can chose Iron Head to hit bulky Fairy-types harder. If you go with Iron head it's recommended to go with more attack.

(Thanks to SmashBrosBrawl and Haze Milotic for this set)

Choice Band

Genesect @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Blaze Kick
- Extreme Speed

With Choice Band attached Genesects attack U-turn will always hurt when it uses it. The Hasty nature is requiered in order to get acces to the event moves Blaze Kick and Extreme Speed. Iron Head nails Fairy-types for super effective damage as well as it works as your other STAB move. Blaze Kick hits Steel-types hard while Extreme Speed lets Genesect revenge kill other threats.

(Thanks to Alexwolf for this set)

Conclusion

Genesect was a terror in gen 5 and will without doubt be a terror in gen 6 as long as he stays. With its great movepool, typing and stats it's guarantied to wear down or sweep if you don't prepare for it. It's a top tier OU threat that should be taken into account when making a team as it easy can grab the momentum and win the match. And I don't think this will change anytime soon.

Last edited:
Feel free to discuss about it, but not about if it should be banned or not.
...oh man. You took the fun out...nah, not really.

Genesect, as everyone knows, may not be without flaws, but its pros outweigh its cons by a country mile. U-Turn is one of the best tools it has, especially when combined with Choice Scarf. I'd say that it's a good set-up sweeper, but with Talonflame and Heatran around, it comes to a halt rather quickly, even if Talonflame is hit hard by Thunderbolt.

Now that it hit me, isn't Shift Gear +1 Atk and +2 Speed?

...oh man. You took the fun out...nah, not really.

Genesect, as everyone knows, may not be without flaws, but its pros outweigh its cons by a country mile. U-Turn is one of the best tools it has, especially when combined with Choice Scarf. I'd say that it's a good set-up sweeper, but with Talonflame and Heatran around, it comes to a halt rather quickly, even if Talonflame is hit hard by Thunderbolt.

Now that it hit me, isn't Shift Gear +1 Atk and +2 Speed?
Haha well sorry for taking out all the fun. ;)
But it's correct that Shift Gears gives +1 Atk and +2 Speed and with Download you can get to +2/+2, making it quite scary as it's only one turn we are talking about. Sadly its physical movepool isn't as good as its special but it still works in order to get its job done.

Feel free to discuss about it, but not about if it should be banned or not.
You should put this at the top of your post in bold, as it will be more likely to be seen up there.

But anyway, I'm liking how the Shift Gear set looks. One turn of set-up for basically an agility and a (if download gets it) Swords dance. Combined with its great typing and moveset, this thing will be something to prepare for if it's somehow not banned c:

It's definitely not as good as it used to be.
It lost two important resistances, its entire coverage movepool was nerfed, Talonflame and Heatran being so common means it can't switch in as often as it used to and it's overall rather vulnerable to priority and easy to wear down with just Stealth Rock.

Genesect was very effective in gen 5 because the metagame was dominated by hyper offense, so it could score easy OHKO's against the most common threats.
Now that the metagame shifted to balanced/bulky offense Genesect fails to net important KO's when it needs to. It doesn't help that bug is now tied with grass for the most resisted type in the game so many top threats (Talonflame, Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Azumarill and so on) don't give a damn about U-Turn spam.
Still a great pokemon, but no longer the end all be all lategame sweeper and revenge killer.
And yet it is still the best Pokemon in the game bar Megakahn and maybe Mega Luc. It hits incredibly hard and anyone who has to switch to a resist to take a uturn is without any momentum and will likely have to switch on the following turn after doing almost nothing on the past couple of turns while the genesect user wears its opponents team down.

It doesn't help that bug is now tied with grass for the most resisted type in the game so many top threats (Talonflame, Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Azumarill and so on) don't give a damn about U-Turn spam.
Genesect's U-Turn still hurts quite a bit. And it's speed makes it just as hard to counter as it always was.

I've been running an Expert Belt set with full investment in speed EV's. Still nowhere as fast as Choice Scarfed, but it's always fun to OHKO a Gliscor on the switch with an Ice Beam when it expects a Thunderbolt. Genesect is still a threat. While not as good in 5th Generation, I could see Genesect being banned in the later stages of the lifespan of X and Y.

It wasnt nerfed at all. With fairies existing theres new prey to hunt and shift gear is one of the best setup moves ever. Saying that he cant spam u-turn because of more resistors is completely missing the point of what this move does. If you switch in your heatran on u-turn youre giving the genesect momentum. It doesnt matter what resists it, the fact is, everytime you switch into it youre giving away the momentum for the opponent. The best part is that genesect huge and diverse movepool puts the opponent in a tough spot. You dont know what coverage it has, which makes predicting it nearly impossible. Genesect IS free momentum and imo the best pokemon in the tier. Btw wheres the expert belt + four attacks set? It does a great job at faking a scarf and will almost always get a free kill.

I hate this fucker. I refuse to run bullshit like it. Because I have refused to do so, I'm forced to run a fucking Smeargle on my team so it cant cripple my walls by just U-Turning out whenever it feels like.

I hate this fucker. I refuse to run bullshit like it. Because I have refused to do so, I'm forced to run a fucking Smeargle on my team so it cant cripple my walls by just U-Turning out whenever it feels like.
Running smeargle doesn't help. smeargle and other suicide leads are almost pointless and useless now due to bulky defoggers. Running Heatran or something that can take Genesect and set up SR helps.

Genesect @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

This is the set I'm currently running. No matter what the Download is, all of these attacks hit insanely hard, and if I get a Special Attack boost it's pretty much GG.

Genesect @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

This is the set I'm currently running. No matter what the Download is, all of these attacks hit insanely hard, and if I get a Special Attack boost it's pretty much GG.
Yes, i really like this one. I run iron head over thunderbolt because bulky waters dont trouble me as much as fairies though, because of this i go with a physically offensive spread. This thing is so great at luring in and smashing things its ridiculous. The fact that it fakes a scarf reduces prediction down to nearly zero. Just use any move you want and then kill whatever switchs in with the appropriate move next turn (as long as youre faster obviously).

I'm thinking Rotom-H could be good against this beast. It resists everything Gene can throw at you that isn't Normal type (or Psychic, but that's not very good on it apparently.)

I could be wrong though.

SergantGold: Thanks for pointing that out I've fixed it now.
SmashBrosBrawl and Haze Milotic: I've shamelessly stolen your sets and posted them in the OP =D Thanks for pointing out that set.
Dilasc: Yes Rotom-H can deffenetly work as a counter to Genesect as it can also easy use Volt-Turn to grab the momentum, as Psychic don't offer anything besides hitting Rotom-H for decent damage. But then it's still better for Genesect to use U-turn for momentum.

I'm thinking Rotom-H could be good against this beast. It resists everything Gene can throw at you that isn't Normal type (or Psychic, but that's not very good on it apparently.)

I could be wrong though.
It does in practice. Genesect has to U-turn or switch which can give Rotom a chance to burn/Overheat the switch in.

In a hindsight this thing is extremely good. Having around the third, or fourth highest BST in the entire game(only below Kyurem Forme which is ridiculous) and typing that is "Not horrible"(suck it Ttar)

Do you guys think a Douse Disk Shift Gear set could work? I don't have experience with Genesect Meta at all lol

Last gen I was adamant against Genesect in OU, now I actually think it makes for an interesting pivot, since the meta is bulkier and many of Genesect's moves got depowered. For me these factors are more important than the Steel nerf as far as Genesect abilities go.

this FREAKING guy.

I've been toying with a CB set and damn, that U-turn hits SO HARD & at a speed Scizor would kill for. Coverage is harder on the physical choice set if you want U-Turn and ESpeed, and I don't much like relying on Blaze Kick, but again: dat u-turn.

Can we talk about how you've been dealing with opposing Genesect, especially the Scarf sets?

I use a Scarf Rotom-H which is an awesome poke and it makes an alright Genesect check, but Scarf Genesect is outspeeding 100% of the time and can U-Turn for some 30% damage ad infinitum. I've really been considering using Flame Body Heatran to start punishing U-Turners on the switch.

Genesect's versatility makes it damn hard to counter, but since every other team is running a Genesect now (and 66% Scarfed last month), I'm curious: what are you using to stop it?

Last edited:
Bulky volcarona is the best genesect switch in i can think of. It laughs at every attack (bar the odd explosion) and the flame body chance will discourage it from u-turn spamming. Flame Body heatran could be another good choice, but that inst released yet. Phys defensive rotom-h is something that could work as well but the fact is, volcarona has that roost+quiver dance combination that makes it extremely hard to kill and put huge pressure on the opponent.

Bulky volcarona is the best genesect switch in i can think of. It laughs at every attack (bar the odd explosion) and the flame body chance will discourage it from u-turn spamming. Flame Body heatran could be another good choice, but that inst released yet. Phys defensive rotom-h is something that could work as well but the fact is, volcarona has that roost+quiver dance combination that makes it extremely hard to kill and put huge pressure on the opponent.
As someone who uses Volcarona quite often, I can concur. Genesect is Quiver Dance setup for Volcarona and nothing more. Either it switches and I get a free QD, It hits me with U-Turn and gets burned, switches, and I still get the QD.

I prefer bug buzz over flash cannon on the scarf special set. Physically defensive Rotom-W is literally everywhere and Gene can't do more than 25% to it without bug buzz.

Specially defensive Heatran is the best all around counter to this guy. Not weak to rocks so you can switch in just as often as Gene, 4x resist on u-turn, takes nothing from everything else (except the rare thunderbolt, which only really scratches you with a download boost). Defensive Moltres, Volc and CharX are also great counters if you're playing a defensive team, and Volc for offense (tho stealth rock weaknesses on these guys can hurt). Gene's switch in opportunities are pretty limited with the steel nerf, so if you can suck up its u-turns with a heavy resist when it does get in then he's not gonna be doing anything more than making you possibly take rocks damage from your switches.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Include Giga Drain on the list of its viable moves, which is a good option on Expert Belt and Rock Polish sets. Also, you need to add a Choice Band set like this:

move 1: U-Turn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Blaze Kick
ability: Download
item: Choice Band
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

I'm shocked there wasn't a thread about this guy already.

That expert belt set is always the top one for me, bluffing that scarf almost always lets you get kills against its counters. I actually find the scarf set not that bad to counter because it can only do one thing at a time.

Besides the listed stuff, if you can predict u-turn, switching to those rocky helm + barbs/rough skin pokes that are everywhere to deal with mkang is good, genesct absolutely hates taking that passive damage. Hazards are important for the same reason. Azumarill usually runs max HP and resists everything common on it besides tbolt, and threatens with dat aqua jet.

alexwolf Added both the Choice Band set with a small description and Giga Drain to viable moves. Then slashed Giga Drain into the Expert Belt and Rock Polish sets.

Started running hp ground on him for the obvious heatran switch ins. heatran is on every non hyper offense team in 2k+ so it's quite useful. Expert belt set so you don't have to predict (genesect already outspeeds heatran)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)