Genie instead of Mole (5th Gen RMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, this is Berserker Lord with my second RMT. Now everyone knows that Doryuzzu is a dangerous threat, so with lots of people using him, people have loaded themselves up with ways to handle him, Wheather and Priority being the options everyone uses. Now, little old me didn't want to do that, so I looked at what Pokes I could use, and noticed that Wobbuffet was in OU. Excited, I rushed to put him on my team, and the rest came along with him.

Team Building process:

As I said above, I started this team out with Wobbuffet. I don't usually have a goal in mind when I first start building a team, but considering that he could trap troublesome Pokes and kill them, while also giving me free turns meant he was on the team in a flash.

After putting him on, I wanted to get a Grass type to easily kill the Bulky Ground and Water types. Shaymin-S caught my eye immeaditley, and since she was quite fast, got the second spot on my team. I then noticed that Darkrai was also allowed. I couldn't pass up the chance to be able to abuse him either, so he got the third spot.

Now, I wanted a sweeper to take advantage of Wobbuffet's ability to give me set up opportunities. I orignially had Genosect in mind but that failed when it turned out he wasn't allowed (why must you be an event Pokemon Geno????). I then searched for another sweeper, but couldn't find any for a couple of days. Losing hope, I was going through Uncharted when I saw Bloo's thread for Randorosu. Curious, I looked at his stats and movepool and wanted to use him immeaditley. Now, since I wanted to abuse Randorosu's ability, I needed a Sandstreamer. not wanting Hippowdon, I went with Tyranitar.

The last slot was a bit of a hard choice. I tried quite a few things when my mind went back to Gallade, my lead in gen 4 who worked quite well. But despite the fact I love using Gallade, I was a bit apprehensive that he wouldn't do well. This being Gen 5, I had to test the Nature, Item, and moveset to find which one suited me best. I eventually decided on changing the nature and leaving the item the same.

To recap, heres the team: (in no real order)

Rip, Smash, Tear

Gallade@ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Close Combat
-Shadow Sneak
-Ice Punch
-Zen Headbutt
Now, You may be wondering "why are you using Gallade as a lead at all?" Well, the reason I'm using Gallade is a mix of unexpectedness, Priority, and power. Considering the fact that i'm quite possiblly the only person on the Smogon server using Gallade, it's safe to say that Gallade will still catch the opponent off guard even with team previews (which I absolutly love). The raw power that he brings to the table means that I can leave quite a dent in the opponents team, meaning Randorosu can muscle through the rest. Gallade also brings Shadow Sneak along, which is a godsend, allowing him to pick off leads that are faster then him after being hit by any of his other moves.

Move Choices
Close Combat is the main STAB move, denting anything that doesn't resist or have good defensive stats. Even some resists are dealt some heavy damage just because of the power Gallade has. Shadow Sneak is for if I want to KO a weakened Poke, revenge kill boosted Pokes, pick off leads, or deal a bit of damage before i'm killed. Ice Punch is for Flying types, Flying/Ground types (Gliscor and Randorosu being the main ones), predicted Dragon switch-ins, and something else I forgot about. Zen Headbutt is Gallade's other STAB for against Fighting types (Roobushin being the prime target), Poison types, hitting the slower Ghost types for neutrel damage, and offering great coverage with Close Combat.

The Broken Trio

Wobbuffet@ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 228 SpD / 252 Def / 28 HP
-Counter
-Mirror Coat
-Encore
-Safeguard
Wobbuffet isin't getting used enough for how well he works. The reason last gen was some honour crap, so mabye it's the same reason this gen? Anyway, Wobbuffet is the first of the broken trio because he's clearly the most broken of them all IMO. The ability to force your opponent to repeat a move allows you to decide to whether use Counter or Mirror Coat to reflect it back, or switch to something else to take advantage of the free turns you are given. Shadow Tag is the thing that makes it all happen: stoping your opponent from switching unless they run Shed Shell or use U-Turn (still can take advantage of that) or Baton Pass means that pretty much every wall that is not using Toxic is yours to toy with.

Move Choices:
Considering how barren Wobbuffets movepool is, this is gonna be short. Mirror Coat and Counter allow me to reflect back double the damage they dealt to me. Encore can let me trap a Poke into a non damaging move and switch into another Poke to take advantage of it, or force the Poke to repeat an attacking move to reflect back. Safeguard stops Status from ruining my teams day, although Wobbuffet is usually statused before he can use it.

Darkrai@ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
-Dark Void
-Dark Pulse
-Trick
-Focus Blast
Darkrai is the second of the Broken Trio for the ability to incapictate a Poke while being able to revenge serious threats, including other Scarfed Pokes, with his Choice Scarf, or he can easily Trick it away to cripple a wall for the rest of the game. After getting rid of the Scarf, Darkrai has the options of attacking, Tricking the item he just got to try and cripple something else, or Dark Void to incapcitate another Poke if none are asleep. His typing means Wobbuffet isin't an issue for him considering Mirror Coat won't affect him and Dark Pulse will 2HKO easily. He acn also act as a lead for taking care of anything Gallade can't.

Move Choices:
Dark Void is the main move of the set, letting me inapcitate a Poke and hurt them with Bad Dreams. Dark Pulse is Darkrai's STAB move, taking care of the Psychic and Ghost types, while also having a nice chance of flinching. Trick is for when I want to cripple a wall or bulky sweeper who hates Choice items or if I think i'll need to be able to switch attacks with Darkrai. Focus Blast takes care of most of the things Dark Pulse can't, most notably Tyranitar, Lucario, Terakion, and just Steel and Dark types in general.

Shaymin-S@ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice
-Air Slash
The last of the Broken Trio is Skymin, for her Ability causes tons of grief to players, making Air Slash's flinch rate go to 60%, while Seed Flares sharp SpD drop go to 80%. I orignally had a Scarf version here, but I found it fustrating that I would keep having to switch out because I couldn't switch moves, so I decided on Life Orb because Skymin honestly has enough Speed that it isin't needed. Skymin's job is to kill the bulky waters of the opponents team and wear it down for Randorosu to smash through the rest, although Skymin can also sweep if the conditions are right. but it's rrare because of Life Orb and Sandstorm damage adding up.

Move Choices:
Seed Flare is Skymin's Grass STAB, smashing the Ground and Water types, while it's effect means that can often finish the Poke off with another move and preserve Seed Flares PP. Earth Power is for the Steel and Fire types who resist Seed Flare, but with the addition of Balloon, Heatran is often hard to hit. HP Ice lets me kill off the Ground/Flying types and Dragon types who think I run HP Fire. Air Slash is for the Fighting and Grass types, and is my best move against Nattorei if I need to kill him with Skymin.

The Sand Summoner

Tyranitar@ Expert Belt
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Sandstream
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpA
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-Crunch
-Stealth Rock
Tyranitar is here mainly for setting up Sandstorm for Randorosu, but he's also for setting up Stealth Rock and attacking. This set is definetly what works best for Tar this gen IMO. Having the ability to smash most of Tyranitars common counters means that Randorosu can also sweep easier with the Sandstorm support because the two share a couple of similar counters, the main ones being Gliscor, Skarmory, Forretress ( despite the new Sturdy mechanics, Forretress can't do much to Tar), Hippowdon, and Nattorei. I'm not sure on the EVs at all though, so anyone with a better spread speak up please!

Move Choices:
Ice Beam is for the Ground types who think they can just take physical attack and set up or kill me. Fire Blast lets me roast the Nattorei's, Skarmory's, and Forretress' who try and come in after I kill a poke with Crunch, thinking i'm Scarfed. Crunch is used so I have a STAB move to use, don't waste Tyraniatrs great Attack stat, and to kill the Ghosts and Psychics that running around to stop the fighting types.

No Swords Dance? No Problem

Randorosu@ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break
With all the fast poweful Pokes running around, it's quite easy to completely forgot Randorosu exists. Often times, he's seen either running a Choice set or Swords Dance, both good sets, but the Choice set has to switch out a lot, and Swords Dance is revenged easily. Rock Polish, however, allows Randorosu to easily turn the tables on those threats, outspeeding them and KOing them with any one of his 3 moves. Now, your probobly going to ask why I'm using Randorosu over Doryuzzu as a Sand sweeper. First, lets look their typing. Randorosu's typing allows him free Ground type switch-in's without having to run Balloon, allowing him to run Life Orb much more easily. Randorosu's typing also means he resists the large amounts of Fighting type priority being thrown around, giving Randorosu quite a few more set up attempts then Doryuzzu. Second is Ability. I will admit that Doryuzzu can get insane Speed with just Sand being up, but the problem is that Doryuzzu is completely dependent on Sand being up to function well, and his moves are quite weak without a Swords Dance, especially if Dory goes the Jolly and Balloon route. Randorosu may not get insane Speeds without set up, but he does get a insanely powerful Earthquake without any set up, which allows him to easily 2HKO and OHKO many Pokes in the metagame. Randorosu also gets to use Stone Edge over Rock Slide.

Move Choices:
Rock Polish is the set up move here, skyrocketing Randorosu's Speed to 616, easily outspeeding everything but Choice Scarf Deoxys-A and S. Earthquake is the main move to use, having Sand Power+Life Orb+STAB equals a very hard move to switch-in to unless the switch in resisit it and has great defensive stats or is just plain immune. Stone Edge gives Randorosu the QuakeEdge combo, hitting the Flying types that try to take advantage of Earthquake. Brick Break is mainly for letting me hit Balloon users without having to relay on Stone Edges shaky accuracy.

Hmm, might as well go for broke(n) with deoxys-A over gallade. It pretty much outclasses gallade and has that nice +2 extremespeed to pick off weakened enemies. They both provide the same coverage but it has a much higher speed stat to work with, just so you know..

If wobbuffet is usually statused before you can use safeguard wouldn't you be better using the custap wobb set where you replace Safeguard with Destiny Bond and Leftovers instead of Custap berry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)