GeoHot reveals PS3 Custom Firmware

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/

As may know (or not), this GeoHot guy has been publically working on cracking the PS3 "defense" layers, so as to finally allow us to develop homebrew, as it has been done with the PSP. Unfortunatly, it proved much harder, and for 4 years noone managed any significant result.

As you also may know, the 3.21 firmware released on April 1st (no, not a lie) was done solely to remove the OtherOS option, which, as the name says, allows the use of other OS' (Linux, for the most part), giving no other reason than "security issues". So basically, It was imposed on the players the choice between not being able to access PSN or having their OS, all files on it, and the possibility of ever using it again removed.

This was, however, a good timing for GeoHot, as he was nearing results. And yesterday, he released this video, showing the OtherOS option maintained on 3.21.
He said that "This can be installed without having to open up your PS3, just by restoring a custom generated PUP file, but only from 3.15 or previous." No release date yet, though.

While I don't own a PS3, I am happy for this, as it's another step closer to untapping the full potential of the PS3.
If you follow PSP's homebrew community, you'll know that there are thousands, maybe tenths of thousands of homebrew games and applications, from flash games to apps allowing more video/audio formats to be played, to even the PSPtube.

Now imagine the possibilites on the PS3. 10, possibly 100 fold.

Just one step away from knowkicng down another bastion of tiranny on the video game industry.

One step away.......

Hardly.....hackers will still be shoulder deep by the time the next gen comes around. They should really give up on it, Sony is working very hard to keep their products hack-proof. They've learned from the PSP mistake, oh have they learned.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No one making any progress for four years seems to be from a lack of trying for the most part by the most accomplished hackers. GeoHot for example did it in a few weeks once getting a PS3 of his own. However, I don't think he was going to release anything until Sony removed the OtherOS option. Hell, that was the main reason little progress was made as far as I can tell. Linux could always run on it so what was the point of hacking it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)