German teenager kills sixteen

Here goes. I have to say I'm pretty disgusted by the "shocked good guy" circle jerks school shootings rake in, especially because were dealing with teenagers who generally can't see past the farm party on Friday night and are just as impressionable as toddlers. Okay. People died. We feel bad. I get it.

I just want you guys to understand that one bad influence doesn't make somebody a murderer to the point that they don't even care who they kill. may do. Many feelings, many conflictions...

Many people.

I'd like to know if any other kids bullied this kid. Belligerents. I'd like to know how many onlookers didn't do shit because they wern't the ones being bullied. Cowards. I'd like to know how many others noticed this kid being victimized first and thought "Well I feel sorry for him but theres no way I'm being friends with that weirdo". Idiots.

and how is it still a shock that kids do this shit when it's become a sterotype?

Also know that I'm not saying that he's a hero or that being bullied is justification for homicide.

When did I ever say anything about it being the world that we know it is coming to an end? >.> Honestly.

And I don't think this will affect anyone besides the people at the school.

Peace, AquOs.

I won't be so quick to start judging this killer, I never dealt with bullying but I've witnessed it and I can sort of understand how it could make someone do/say things they would never think about doing. I remember a kid who was bullied alot, mainly because of his shyness and the fact that he was tall and unfit and had a high pitched voice. One day he said something really awful to someone who had recently lost his father, and I remember how everyone scorned him, including the people who bullied him. But he wasn't a dick, he had dealt with the same pain and I knew he wasn't as shallow as his words were. I can't really say I understand what it's like but it has to be pretty hard to be "strong" when people make you feel like a shithole everyday, and I can't judge a man who wasn't in his right mind.

I feel bad for the families/friends who have lost too, but I won't offer condolences, I'd be foolish to think they mean anything to them.

What I am now beginning to understand is that most of these school shootings are just Columbine copycat murders. Young males who feel pathetic and want to be feared and replicate the mass hysteria that Columbine caused, which in turn was fueled by the mass media.

It's a viscious cycle and I'm glad nothing like this has happened in Australia...yet.

I'm sure that the only reason that it's happened so much more in America and not here or in Europe (Apart from Norway and Germany) is because of the lax gun laws in America.
I'll agree it's sad that the mass media makes money off of tragedy. But does happiness sell? I'm not a fan of biased media by any stretch of the imagination. I think it reproduces fear and plays for those who they wish power to.

For those who were claiming bullying responsible i say you have to hold someone accountable for his/her actions. Of course it played a part in his actions but it was still his choice. I grieve for the families and the community. I am in no way condoning bullying either.

The death sentence can be used for closure for families as well. I'm not saying it should become more prevalent. It is however a broken system over here in the states. It's actually more expensive to execute someone than keep them in prison for life. They can delay justice for so long as well with numerous appeals. Pretty silly...

Btw Australia has a pop. of roughly 20 million whereas America has one of roughly 300 million. It's statistically more likely to occur in America by a large number. As for gun control http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm
I suggest you educate yourself on where guns actually come from and the kind of crimes they are used for using the link. I don't mean to besmirch your country but here is an article on how your ban has helped your country. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15304

I don't think these killings should be excused. I say that the shooter should have been held to just punishment under the law had he not killed himself.

It honestly disgusts me to no end what goes through people's mind sometimes. Do they honestly have no conscience? As if having thoughts about murdering a fellow human being isn't fucked up enough.
Oh come on, you never fantasize about slowly removing <insert person who pisses you off constantly>'s limbs and allowing him/her to bleed to death? I think everyone at some point things something horribly violent. (Relatively) Sane people just know not to act on it.

I'll agree it's sad that the mass media makes money off of tragedy.
But if they didn't we'd be uninformed of it.

For those who were claiming bullying responsible i say you have to hold someone accountable for his/her actions. Of course it played a part in his actions but it was still his choice. I grieve for the families and the community. I am in no way condoning bullying either.
Of course, the shooters do in fact still make the choice, however extreme stress doesn't always allow time for one to rationalize their feelings before acting.

The death sentence can be used for closure for families as well. I'm not saying it should become more prevalent. It is however a broken system over here in the states. It's actually more expensive to execute someone than keep them in prison for life. They can delay justice for so long as well with numerous appeals. Pretty silly...
We have to give them a chance. Even on death row, there is a chance that they're actually innocent, small as it is.

I've also heard that the death penalty does give families and friends closure - seeing somebody who they feel deserves it getting it this time kind of balances things out.

Btw Australia has a pop. of roughly 20 million whereas America has one of roughly 300 million. It's statistically more likely to occur in America by a large number.
Very notable point.

I don't think these killings should be excused. I say that the shooter should have been held to just punishment under the law had he not killed himself.
Of course they shouldn't and wouldn't be excused.

I always assume that the most likely reason that someone would do something like this is sheer boredom of life (if not depression or ego issues). Plenty of people would like to experience what it is like to shoot people up, and if they are already at a point they are bored at life, then why not? Not that I know or think this necessarily was what happened here, but it is a possible explanation for how someone is so fucked in the head - they may not be fucked in the head or 'sick' at all.

A depressed mind does some pretty fucked up things CK, so it certainly was a factor but perhaps not the whole story.

joshe

the best
wow, that is just sad. I couldn't ever think of doing that. They said he was normal, a good student, a good table tennis player, even wanting to become professional. I know people who's life are more fucked than this, and they wouldn't do it. It's just so sad to watch screwed up kids like this go unknown until they find out this happens. My condolences to the families and friends that have been stricken by this outburst of hell. RIP all the victims.

@Son Of Disaster
What? Are you a moron? That article is nearly ten years old and it's grasping at straws. You know, I can use google as well.

I always assume that the most likely reason that someone would do something like this is sheer boredom of life (if not depression or ego issues). Plenty of people would like to experience what it is like to shoot people up, and if they are already at a point they are bored at life, then why not? Not that I know or think this necessarily was what happened here, but it is a possible explanation for how someone is so fucked in the head - they may not be fucked in the head or 'sick' at all.
I definitely know what you're saying here. After a certain point, you realize life doesn't really progress past a certain level. You can only be so content with your monotonous daily routine. Some choose to add a little spice to it. So the whole "mental illness" may not be a factor at all, but the fact that he was on antidepressants etc. does lead one to believe that it could be a possibility.

@Son Of Disaster
What? Are you a moron? That article is nearly ten years old and it's grasping at straws. You know, I can use google as well.
more recent for you if you want...
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sydney-gun-crimes-double/2006/08/30/1156816939675.html

Anyway i can't say boredom is the best thing to be attributed to this tragedy. I would agree that it may play a part but just because i'm bored of life i'm not going to go kill 15 people. I'd say it's the other factors. Depression, bullying, etc...ultimately he decided he was going to do something and he made his choice. Despite the factors involved he was responsible.

@Son Of Disaster
Okay, so in one year gun related robberies rose in Sydney. You do realise that Sydney isn't the only City in Australia right? Per capita the US is still losing.

@Phannie

I have several friends who detoxed from antidepressants and I can tell you for certain that it is legit. The detox sucks ass.

On a more serious note he was apparently on anti-depressants but he stopped taking them. Also I think people haven't really thought about his parents and sister, who have lost their son or brother and are probably blaming themselves and thinking of all the things they could have done differently to stop this tragedy occuring.
Apparently according to a German press release (probably somewhere in English as well; I haven't looked) his parents received a letter from him some time before saying he wants to kill himself and they didn't react.
They had a clear warning, so if they cared at all about their son, or the victims, then they would definitely feel unbelievably guilty.
Personally, I'd imagine I'd have a hard time feeling sorry for the kid himself however, being the monster that he was.

Oh come on, you never fantasize about slowly removing <insert person who pisses you off constantly>'s limbs and allowing him/her to bleed to death? I think everyone at some point things something horribly violent. (Relatively) Sane people just know not to act on it.
I've never felt anything like this. At least, as long as I can remember I've never really had any such animosity at anyone.
I was once a very scrawny, short, little kid with a high pitched squeaky voice. Back then I couldn't have physically stood up for myself no matter how much I had wanted to. Yet never did I feel such emotions.

wow, that is just sad. I couldn't ever think of doing that. They said he was normal, a good student, a good table tennis player, even wanting to become professional. I know people who's life are more fucked than this, and they wouldn't do it. It's just so sad to watch screwed up kids like this go unknown until they find out this happens. My condolences to the families and friends that have been stricken by this outburst of hell. RIP all the victims.
I read below average student on yahoo.
Police said the suspect was a German teen who was a below-average student at the school of about 1,000 pupils, but managed to graduate last year.
But then I saw this on BBC:
Officials said he was an ordinary pupil who had received good reports from school
"Ordinary pupil" with "good reports from school".

Anyone more willing to do research and find the answer to this question?
Not that it matters: it is clear that the guy was fucked up.

EDIT:
Mormoopid, is that why antidepressants are never used for recreational purposes? I've wondered that for a while, as to me it seemed that such a drug would be ideal (I've never tried one, but if the purpose is to reduce serotonin reuptake-although I may have remembered wrong as to what they do-then it sounded like it would be great, leading to a pleasurable/happy experience). I don't know a lot about nueroscience, at all however (so anyone reading what I say should take it with a grain of salt).

In light of Para's post, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and go off topic to comment that often the most gifted people are the most troubled; it seems being ignorant really does mean being blissful. Calling him a bad student with below average marks is pretty much a smear whereby you should get good marks or you will kill everyone.

I am of course saying this without any references to back me up without reading any links provided, but I trust para.

I forgot who it was in this thread that said the media desensitizes violent things like this, but they are most certainly right. I can not find it in me to care about this at all, I mean I know its horrible, but still it does not phase me whatsoever. Not sure what that says about me. I guess with all the horrible things I watch, read, and play things like this just don't hit close to home.

In light of Para's post, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and go off topic to comment that often the most gifted people are the most troubled
I have to ask: why?
Should it really be this way?
The most gifted should really have less trouble.
If they really have more brain power, shouldn't they be better able to handle themselves in social situations? In fact, this is likely highly related with the increase in average brain size over time within our species (Dawkins stated the likely importance of memes in our evolution, in which case greater intelligence would provide benefit, as in greater social status, which would directly lead to greater reproductive capacity).
Shouldn't they have an easier time completing work (for school at those ages), and thus have less troubles then others?

None of the above questions are rhetorical. I want to know answers.

it seems being ignorant really does mean being blissful.
Again: why? This may be true, but I think the reason behind it needs exploration. I don't understand why ignorance should lead to blissfulness, let alone the inverse (a lack of ignorance leading to unhappiness/trouble).

Perhaps I should avoid the example following this sentence, but I saw it being discussed in a thread that disappeared a little while ago. If a lack of ignorance is equated with atheism, and atheism's benefit is freeing one of stresses, shouldn't exactly the opposite be true?

A lack of ignorance should be a benefit and allow for greater satisfaction and happiness.
Being gifted should be a benefit and allow for greater satisfaction and happiness.

If anything suggests the contrary, the reason why needs serious exploration. Finding the answer would then allow for the problem to be solved (ideally).

Calling him a bad student with below average marks is pretty much a smear whereby you should get good marks or you will kill everyone.
This line isn't something I understood exactly.
As I understand it, you said perhaps calling him a bad student was meant to not suggest that good students are likely to kill everyone?

I am of course saying this without any references to back me up without reading any links provided, but I trust para.
Or, based on this sentence, did I misinterpret everything you stated above?

@Everyone who talked about media "promoting" these actions: you're right, if the media didn't put such an incredible amount of attention on these incidents, then a large part of what influences some of these people (fame) may be removed or mitigated.

@Klarth: do you honestly believe that gun control works? Do drug laws work? Did prohibition (in America) work? Do murder laws work? What's the point of having gun control when they people it's supposed to restrain (criminals, I would hope, though I guess politicians don't want honest citizens having guns either) don't follow laws anyways?

If gun control laws were enforced obtaining guns would be a lot harder. There are a lot of shootings that are done on accident and by those who aren't actually criminals (Not trying to rob etc.)

The teenager's father, thought to be a prominent businessman in the area, was reported to be a member of a local shooting club.
Give this a look. If people become accustomed to guns, they're more likely to see them as tools, and not as destructive weapons/sporting items. I'm glad Australia has a no-gun policy (and the only guns available for the public are non lethal and very hard to find/get).

pretty awful, hate when people get depressed and decide to kill others

kill yourself, moron

also, how long till someone compares him to hitler because he's german? anyone wanna bet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)