Getting Back Into The Swing of Things - OU RMT

Hello everyone, recently I have been busy with other stuff, but I thought I'd get back into the game sooner or later. I've used this team to pretty good results on Shoddy, and I just want some feedback before I go ahead and make it for Wifi.

AT A Glance

In Depth

Swampert@Leftovers
Brave; 252 Atk, 160 Def, 96 Sp.A

Protect
Earthquake
Hydro Pump
Stealth Rock

Swampert leads the team for several reasons. Despite being the least offensively inclined of my team, it still manages to hit quite hard with its EQ, removing other pokemon such as Zapdos, Skarmory, and Hippowdon with Hydro Pump. Protect lets it survive incoming Explosions from the likes of Azelf and Metagross, as well as scouting in times of need.
As far as team synergy is concerned, Swampert carries the crucial role of laying down Stealth Rock. It provides an invaluable rock resist and synergizes well with Scizor and Heatran.

Heatran@Choice Specs
Modest; 36 HP, 252 Sp.A, 220 Speed

Explosion
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse

SpecsTran is often a huge surprise to the opponent, expecting to see Scarf or BaiTran. That said, it manages to literally blast huge holes into their team, using its complete neutral coverage of Fire + Dragon + Ground. It greatly aids Celebi’s sweep by luring in Calm Blissey and OHKOing with Explosion (assuming SR, of course).
Heatran’s natural bulk is highly appreciated on the team, allowing it to gel nicely with the other team members and form the famed CeleTran combo. Its plethora of resistances allow it to switch in and wreak havoc on multiple occasions.

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant; 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Speed

U-Turn
Pursuit
Superpower
Bullet Punch

We all know how Scizor works, and its services are highly useful in helping Celebi sweep. Along with Heatran, it punches holes through the opponents team with its powerful Band-boosted attacks, revenging with Bullet Punch if necessary. Scizor also carries a considerable bit of bulk thanks to the HP EVs and its naturally good defense.
Scizor removes opposing Psychics such as Latias and Celebi with Pursuit, putting them in a checkmate position and allowing Celebi to sweep uninterrupted later on. It also works well with Starmie to revenge kill, as anything that survives its Bullet Punch will not be able to withstand another hit. Its one weakness is well covered through Heatran, Swampert, and Starmie.

Starmie@Choice Scarf
Modest; 6 HP, 252 Sp.A, 252 Speed

Surf
Trick
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

Starmie is the team’s revenge killer, and personal favorite. Its moves give it great type coverage, power, and reliability, and allow it to cover a wide range of threats including Infernape, Gyarados, and Salamence. Being Modest, Starmie forces Tyranitar and opposing Scizor to be careful, as Surf can do massive damage to the two. It can afford to do this because it sits just above those +Speed 100s, at 329 speed.
Being part Psychic, Starmie often draws Pursuit users and Scarfed Rotom-A. A quick succession of 2 Surfs is usually enough to eliminate them, preventing them from showing up later on and threatening Celebi. An added advantage is that Starmie can take status for the team, as its Natural Cure ability protects it from lasting paralysis, etc.

Lucario@Life Orb
Naïve; 44 Atk, 212 Sp.A, 252 Speed

Aura Sphere
Shadow Ball
Close Combat
HP Rock / Stone Edge

MixLuke allows me to hit hard from both ends of the spectrum, thanks to the unparalleled type coverage afforded by Fight + Ghost. Lucario effectively draws in Rotom-H, expecting to wall SDLuke and being blasted by a Shadow Ball. Close Combat is what makes the set so effective, KOing Blissey and Snorlax with ease. The final slot is dedicated towards hitting Zapdos / Mence / Gyara switchins, with HP Rock being preferred since it does more to Zapdos.
Lucario is a wall-breaker of sorts, helping to clear the way for Celebi or further weakening the opposition after Heatran and Scizor have blasted them.

Celebi@Life Orb
Modest; 6 HP, 252 Sp.A, 252 Speed

Psychic
Recover
Grass Knot
Earth Power

The star of the team is Celebi. Its natural bulk is one of the things that drew me towards it to the beginning, as well as its ability to Recover off Life Orb recoil periodically. Celebi’s attacks are simple, with Grass Knot eliminating Tyranitar and bulky waters, Earth Power punishing steels and Heatran (as well as 2HKOing Scizor with SR), and Psychic allows Celebi to go for the sweep. The only pokemon that cause this set difficulty are usually Skarmory and Bronzong, both of which are dealt with by the rest of my team.

-And there's the team. I'm pretty pleased with it so far, I'm just not so sure if having 3 Choice pokemon is ideal. One of the key features is that passive damage such as Stealth Rock isn't too much of a problem, and Toxic Spikes really only affects Swampert.

Credit goes to www.serebiiforums.com/ for the pics.

Threat List:

Azelf- I havn't seen too many offensive Azelf these days, besides maybe Scarf. Usually what I do is lay down Stealth Rock with Swampert, then use Ice Beam to break the Sash. By this time it either switches or I've brought in Scizor / Heatran to handle it. Dual Screen version is still massacred by Scizor's U-Turn.

Breloom- Breloom is difficult to deal with. I usually go to Celebi to take the sleep, then switch to Scizor to break its Subs with Bulllet Punch / U-turn, repeating the cycle until its finished.

Celebi- Both Heatran and Scizor check Celebi nicely, so it is covered pretty well.

Dugtrio- There really is no way to "counter" it because of arena trap, but Dugtrio is forced to come in to revenge, since all of my pokemon destroy it. Celebi, Swampert, and Scizor especially all have an easy time with it.

Electivire- Not too much of a threat thanks to Swampert. Scizor's Bullet Punch does quite a bit even resisted, and Starmie can outspeed it even after Motor Drive. I only have one electric move anyway, so it will likely be outsped by Lucario / Celebi.

Empoleon- Celebi's Earth Power can deal with it nicely, and offensive versions can be stopped by Starmie's Trick as it comes in on Agility and outspeeds.

Flygon- U-Turn is tricky, but Swampert usually deals with it well. Scizor can also Bullet Punch for good damage, and Starmie is always available to hit it with Ice Beam.

Gengar- Heatran and Scizor work well against it.

Gliscor- Swampert and Starmie can deal with it well, with Celebi hitting it decently hard with Psychic.

Gyarados- Without a boost, Celebi can hit it decently. After a DD, Starmie stops it with Thunderbolt, saving my team.

Heatran- My own Heatran can absorb its fire, while Starmie and Swampert deal otherwise.

Heracross- I have to play around this with prediction. Celebi can deal with CC, while Heatran can take Megahorn.

Infernape- Lead Infernape don't like Swampert, unless they carry Scarf or Grass Knot. Starmie covers it.

Jirachi- Swampert usually gets SR on lead Jirachi, and can handle other forms well, too. Heatran messes it up, not minding the occasional Thunder Wave.

Kingdra- This one is tough. It often tries to set up on Swampert, whose EQ can seriously hurt it. In rain, I have to lure it into Outrage and then go to Heatran, since Starmie can't outspeed even with Scarf. Without rain, Trick usually lessens its punch.

Latias- Specs versions are harder to deal with, but Celebi can take a Surf and Recover. Heatran can take Draco Meteors, and Scizor traps and kills defensively-minded sets.

Lucario- Celebi can outspeed and take a +2 Extremespeed, then KO back with Earth Power (albeit with little health to spare). If CC is used, Scizor's Bullet Punch does alot more damage. My own Lucario can also outspeed Adamant Luke and KO with Aura Sphere / Close Combat.

Machamp- This is a real pain to deal with. If I can get Celebi in or Heatran, though, I manage to get rid of it.

Magnezone- Heatran scares it off, and Lucario can also seriously hurt non-Scarf versions. Without HP Grass, Swampert can deal with it, and Celebi finishes those without Signal Beam.

Mamoswine- Swampert can handle it somewhat, and Celebi can take an Ice Shard to Energy Ball. Lucario also takes it on, and Starmie revenges with Surf nicely. Finally, Scizor can Bullet Punch it back to the Ice Age from which it came.

Metagross- Swampert's EQ does alot more than normal, and Celebi's Earth Power 2HKOs. Scizor's U-Turn helps, and Starmie's Surf does too.

Ninjask- Stealth Rock + Bullet Punch. It rarely gets to pass anything other than speed boosts.

Porygon-Z- Scizor's priority and Starmie's Scarf really mess it up. It can't really touch Heatran either.

Rhyperior- Swampert, Celebi, and Starmie all hit it hard. Scizor can BP, while Lucario and Heatran have super effective moves. Switching in is difficult for it.

Roserade- Scarf / Specs is handled by Heatran, as is lead Roserade once something is asleep.

Rotom-A- Heatran's Fire Blast roasts them all, while Scizor can wear them down with U-Turn. Rotom-H usually comes in on Lucario, who promptly Shadow Balls it. Scarfed versions are easily removed by Heatran or Starmie.

Salamence- Swampert can take an unboosted Outrage, while Heatran takes Draco Meteor. Scizor and Starmie both have the means to revenge it.

Scizor- Scizor and Heatran can each take a U-Turn, and practically all of my team resists Bullet Punch. Heatran's Fire attacks or my other pokemon's special attacks usually deal with it.

Snorlax- Powerful physical attacks from Scizor and Lucario take care of it. Curselax hates Trick.

Starmie- It often finds itself coming in to spin away rocks, only to find that it is 2HKOd by Swampert's EQ. Scizor traps it, and my own Starmie usually outspeeds the rest because of its Scarf.

Suicune- Celebi can hurt it badly, while Heatran's Specs attacks can dent it pretty good too. CroCune is screwed by Starmie's Trick.

Togekiss- Stealth Rock is a thorn in its side, and Scizor can Bullet Punch it to finish it off. SpecsTran KOs with Fire Blast, and Starmie can Thunderbolt it.

Tyranitar- Swampert can take a Rock attack, while DD versions are handled by Scizor. If Babiri berry is present, Starmie takes over for the final hit with Surf. It can't switch in on Celebi because Earth Power + Energy Ball KOs, and Heatran's EP is powerful thanks to Specs negating the sand boost.

Weavile- Bullet Punch.

Yanmega- Stealth Rock, Bullet Punch, and Heatran all deal with it well.

Zapdos- Heatran hits it hard with Fire Blast, and Swampert can 2HKO with Ice Beam + Stealth Rock, Earthquaking on the Roost.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
To start off it seems you will be down a pokemon from the get go as you really dont have a pokemon to absorb explosion from either a metagross, heatran, or azelf suicide lead. For this reason I would recommend protect over hydro pump as it gives you the ability to scout, gain lefties and predict explosion from suicide leads.

I like the idea of specs tran but I would suggest maybe a defensive celebi with twave to help out the synergy between your slow pokemon. twave can really go well with specs tran as it hits like a truck.

All I really can think of for now, you seem kind of walled by skarm/bliss pretty badly and I would suggest to just change your luke to standard SD set

^Protect seems like a good idea on Swampert, though Heatran usually manages to take Explosion decently. I would really rather not use a defensive Celebi as I want to keep the team offensive. A second opinion would help here.

-Lucario hasn't been doing too much lately, so I'm thinking of replacing it with Infernape, which can deal with SkarmBliss. It would also give me a stat boosted, which my team lacks.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Protect is definitely an option to consider on a Swampert lead, though I would replace ice beam, not hydro pump.

I like your team, it's a solid offensive one.
Let me say that I don't see this massive Skarm-Bliss weakness, Starmie can switch on Skarmory and trick the incoming Blissey making her useless, and Lucario can defeat both the walls alternating aura sphere and CC.

The only problem I can see is jolly SD Lucario which can nearly ohko every member of your team after a SD (though it will rarely find the time to set up against your pokemons), your only hope being winning a speed tie with your own Lucario (or revenging with Scizor after a CC defence drop and at least 2 life orb recoils). If you want an extra insurance against it, consider giving your Heatran a choice scarf, you'll lose specs-Tran raw power, but you'll earn a sure Lucario revenge killer and another great late game sweeper (in this case, make it rash and give it max speed).

Keep hydro pump on Swampert, so Skarmory\Forretress and other physical walls will not completely stop it.

Good luck!

Protect is definitely an option to consider on a Swampert lead, though I would replace ice beam, not hydro pump.

Point taken. Zapdos is covered well enough I guess.

I like your team, it's a solid offensive one.
Let me say that I don't see this massive Skarm-Bliss weakness, Starmie can switch on Skarmory and trick the incoming Blissey making her useless, and Lucario can defeat both the walls alternating aura sphere and CC.

The only problem I can see is jolly SD Lucario which can nearly ohko every member of your team after a SD (though it will rarely find the time to set up against your pokemons), your only hope being winning a speed tie with your own Lucario (or revenging with Scizor after a CC defence drop and at least 2 life orb recoils). If you want an extra insurance against it, consider giving your Heatran a choice scarf, you'll lose specs-Tran raw power, but you'll earn a sure Lucario revenge killer and another great late game sweeper (in this case, make it rash and give it max speed).

I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Keep hydro pump on Swampert, so Skarmory\Forretress and other physical walls will not completely stop it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)