Getting back into Ubers (Uber RMT)

Hello Smogon. As of late, I've been playing mostly OU and UU, and haven't given my beloved Ubers the attention it deserves. A few months ago, I was devoted solely to the Ubers ladder, and even got to 20th. Sadly, however, hax ridden matches brought me down the a mere 30th, and pretty soon, the loss of interest caused me to drop off the leaderboard entirely. I made a few attempts to get back, and I did manage to make it to around 25th, but I couldn't last as long, suffering loss after loss, especially against those damn Jumpluff, Ludicolo, and Wobbuffet (thanks Theorymon =[). Anyway, this team was my attempt to get back into Ubers fully, and try and make this team as successful as the ones that got me to the leaderboard prior. Without further hesitation, I present my latest (and most Groudon weak!) Uber team:

At a glance...

Oh look, generic and simple in every sense of the word. Sorry, but I'm just not as creative as Theorymon or locopoke. Well, at first glance, I bet you can guess the sets right off the bat; a supporter lead, a Calm Minder, a wall-breaker, a Specs user, a Scarfed revenge killer, and a late-game cleaner. Pretty simplistic, right? Right, good, so we understand each other. I haven't battled in Ubers in a loooooong time, so I don't know if this sort of lineup works. Please bear with me, I'm unable to create balanced teams and rely on resistances/immunities and just plain overpowering offense. Basically, the way this concept works is this: Set up Stealth Rock, trap and kill walls/sweepers with Wobbuffet, punch holes in the opponents defenses with Kyogre, cease threats with Latias, while also Calm Minding and doing a little sweeping, try and get a sweep with Rayquaza, and if anything tries and gets out of line (Dragon Dance Rayquaza, Lustrous Orb Palkia, etc...) kill it immediately with Garchomp. I've had moderate success with this team, definately one of the more fun teams I've made. I'm open to all suggestions, so if you're going to reccomend I use Scarf Gible, I'm open to your ideas. Yeah...I really need help with this o__o​

Dialga @ Lum Berry
Modest
252 HP / 128 SpA / 116 SpD / 12 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Dragon Pulse
-Substitute​

To be perfectly honest, the only reason I chose to use this guy in the first place is because Articanus used it. After getting my opening leads destroyed by this thing, I really wanted to try it, and after extensive use I can safely say this is one of the best leads I've ever used in Ubers. Stealth Rock is essential for things like Kyogre and Rayquaza, and generally discourages Lugia from switching-in. Thunder Wave stops things like Scarf Darkrai using Dark Void (negated thanks to Lum Berry). Substitute isn't standard, but from seeing Articanus using it, I can easily say I've never regretted using it. Thanks to Substitute, Darkrai using Dark Void lose against me 100% of the time, guaranteeing Stealth Rock and a hit on one of the Pokemon. Dragon Pulse is moderately strong, and 2HKOs a whole lot of things, ranging from Giratina to Deoxys-S (another lead that can't set-up on Dialga).​

Aside from making a great lead, Dialga is also my semi-answer to Scarf Kyogre, and Surf doesn't 2HKO, nor does Thunder and I believe Ice Beam fails to 2HKO as well. Apparently, a Scarf Water Spout doesn't manage to 2HKO this guy, so yeah, this thing is one badass. I also run 12 Speed EVs to outrun the standard Groudon and Kyogre lead. Although thinking about it, I'm gonna switch-out of the former, so it might be a waste.​

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid
114 HP / 192 Spe / 204 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Recover​

Latias the main obstacle for sweeper such as Kyogre, Manaphy, Mewtwo, and Ho-Oh. I went with Calm Mind over Wish for a few reasons. The primary reason is that I found myself much too vulnerable to things such as Specs Ice Beams from the likes of Kyogre, and even multiple boosted Ice Beams from Lugia, Mewtwo, and thing such as those. Dragon Pulse and Grass Knot offers best coverage, and grants me the ability to kill both Groudon and Kyogre, as well as hitting Tyranitar moderately hard. Recover was chosen basically because it sounds cooler, so no Roost here. I dislike the idea that Latias is a bird that can shed itself of its wings, leave that to posers like Lugia.​

Essentially, I find myself relying a little bit too much on Latias, even to the point where I openly switch her in on Kyogre without knowing the set. I could pump some Special Attack EVs into Special Defense, to further prevent any 2HKOs coming from Scarf Ice Beams (though those are directed to my own Kyogre or Wobbuffet).​

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Calm
28 HP / 230 Def / 252 SpD
-Encore
-Counter
-Mirror Coat
-Safeguard

Oh Wobbuffet, why can't I quit you ;__; This is possibly the greatest wall-breaker I've ever used. It almost makes me feel bad using him, seeing as how terribly easy he is to use. Basically, if you don't OHKO Wobb you die. Things like Scarf Palkia, Kyogre (not using Water Spout or Surf, in some cases), Mewtwo (barring Taunt!), Latias, and of course, Lugia all lose to this guy if I safely get him in. I run Calm because I find him more useful in sponging special hits rather physical hits, though Wobbuffet sadly is my main Groudon buffer, and Swords Dance kill him (SubSalac Groudon can sweep me if it has a Sub up and Garchomp can't hit him through). Wobbuffet is the biggest team player here, trapping Lugia, Latias, etc...and killing them, making it much easier for Kyogre and Rayquaza to get on the offense. Scarfers are this guys best friend, as they rarely 2HKO him, while he eliminates them soundly (especially important when it comes down to revenge killers such as Palkia and Garchomp, who terribly stop Rayquaza's sweep).

Yes, I use female Wobbuffet, not only because she's sexy (though that's a primary reason), but because let's be frank, if you lose to a female Wobbuffet, wouldn't you be more utterly discouraged? I thought so.

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Modest
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

The powerhouse of Ubers. Kyogre is the guy who takes everyone's teams and just tosses them aside like rag-dolls. All of my successful teams include this guy, and for good reason; he's a terror. Water Spout is so strong it can 2HKO the standard Blissey, as well as deal a shitload of damage to common resists such as Dialga, Lati@s, and even does quite a bit to your standard Palkia. Surf is more reliable, especially in late-game where Kyogre's sustained damage. Thunder is purely for other Kyogre, as well as for Lugia if Water Spout isn't availible. I also love Thunder because it completely puts a stop to those Palkia that swap in and think "Oh, time to wall Lugia". Think again, penis-head. Ice Beam is solely for Dragons and those annoying Quagsire and Parasect. Purely filler.

I find myself being a little Spout happy at times. I even use Water Spout when I find a resistance coming to sponge it. I just love this beast to death, and could never ask for a better wall-breaker. I could opt for Timid, but I heard that Blissey has a chance of not being 2HKOed, something I find unacceptable.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Toxic / Sleep Talk

The most reliable revenge killer I've ever come across to be honest. Even in Ubers, ScarfChomp is a force to be reckoned with, thanks to its 499 Speed stat, and still respectable 359 Attack with two incredibly useful STABs in Outrage and Earthquake. Garchomp's natural bulk allows it to live Dragon Dance Extremespeeds easily, and there have been some cases where even Extremespeed boosted by a Swords Dance has failed to OHKO him. I use Dragon Claw over something like Stone Edge because I found that Lugia isn't going to be taking much, and that Dragon Claw is useful for killing Rayquaza, Lati@s, Palkia, etc...without locking myself in. It's a great way to scout an opponent's team also without resorting to locking myself in Outrage, and without having to risk having a Ground immunity come in while using Earthquake. Toxic is useful for crippling Lugia and defensive Groudon, but Sleep Talk helps against Darkrai trying to sleep me.

Garchomp's Ground-typing works perfectly with Kyogre. He can come in on Thunders and such aimed at Kyogre, and begin slowly weakening the opposition until they are unable to withstand Kyogre's assaults. I considered replacing this guy with a Scarf Palkia, but Palkia's lower Speed and inability to soak Electric attacks makes me hesitant.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly
252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Extremespeed / Stone Edge

Here he is, the guy who cleans up everything once his teammates have softened up my opposition's team. After a Dragon Dance, Rayquaza has an amazing 434 Speed stat coupled with an incredible 657 Attack. Outrage decimates everything, smashing Lugia after Stealth Rock damage and generally preventing anyone and anything from freely switching-in. Even opposing Wobbuffet do not want to tango with this cowboy, especially if he's gotten a Dragon Dance up. I prefer him over the Swords Dancers for a few reason. Primarily, anything faster that doesn't die to Extremespeed can beat it soundly, and considering Extremespeed isn't that threatening without a boost, sweeping with SD Ray is much harder and reliant on prediction. Secondly, a Swords Dance Dragon Claw is weaker than a Dragon Dance Outrage, meaning it can't break down walls and utterly annihilate things as easily as I'd want to. Swords Dance Ray also risks being outrun by Lugia, while the Dragon Dancer doesn't have such fears.

I currently run Adamant with Extremespeed, but I possibly might run Jolly with Stone Edge to spite Lugia and hit it harder than Outrage. The decision between the two is tough, but considering how Rayquaza is the last sweeper on this team, I'm considering swapping to Jolly to ensure his sweep goes undisturbed by the likes of Deoxys-A (Focus Sash variants of course). Jolly also outruns those silly Palkia that use neutral Speed natures, as well as those Garchomp who prefer power over Speed and use Adamant. It all comes down to what my team has trouble with, and as of late, I've been contemplating using Jolly since Wobbuffet handles Lugia, so killing it isn't as necessary. Still, Wobbuffet can still die, meaning that if Lugia can take an Adamant Outrage, I'll likely have some trouble that could've been avoided if I had used Jolly.

Closing Comments & Concerns

I enjoy using this team, mainly because it's fun and different than OU. Ubers is quite fast, aside from stall wars that can usually be nearly as long as OU battles. My main problems with this team is how vulnerable it is to Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. Once my checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened, these three really run me over. The biggest reason I'm alarmed with this team's inability to deal with them is because of how common they are; they occupy the top three in usage. Groudon is the biggest problem for me. Rock Polish variants in particular are not kind to me, although ParaDancers and Choice Banders can be tough to deal with. The latter are usually dealt with using prediction, although the first one can literally just tank hits from ScarfChomp and begin to set-up and screw me over. Kyogre is the second biggest problem, as nothing can safely switch-in. I rely on Latias much too much, and even that has trouble with Specs Ice Beam and Calm Mind variants. Wobbuffet can usually be a last-minute resort against those locked in Ice Beam, and Rayquaza can sometimes switch-in on Surf and set up (everything else hurts like a bastard, however). Rayquaza isn't that massive of a deal, as I can usually have ScarfChomp revenge kill it, and Swords Dancers fail to OHKO Latias with Extremespeed. if memory serves me correctly.

Generally, all of these threats are dealt with by predicting and switching. The only one I can honestly say is too big of a problem to safely deal with is Groudon, although I've noticed a majority of them are leads, thus aren't threatening to me in any sense of the word (Dialga is the only one to really have trouble with it, although Rayquaza has a bit of a tough time killing it as well). I used to run Lugia over Latias, although Kyogre was then the number one issue with this team, and considering how Kyogre is more common than Groudon, I decided that I would rather be Groudon weak than Kyogre weak. Palkia and Dialga, especially Choice Specs versions, are slightly troublesome. The former can be dealt with, but Dialga isn't as friendly. Their Draco Meteors destroy Wobbuffet, and Dialga can live a Dragon Pulse and KO Latias. Luckily, most Dialga run Modest and minimum Speed EVs, meaning I can outrun them with Rayquaza and nail them with Earthquake. Between these two, I can come out on top, though it takes a lot of lucky guessing.

Overall, I've been pleased with this team's results. Especially Kyogre and Wobbuffet who have been doing remarkably. Most teams aren't able to answer Wobbuffet, especially defensive oriented teams. I've had a lot of fun with these guys, but I'm willing to change them if it means I'll be more successful. Thanks for taking the time to read this =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)