Getting rid of spyware, viruses, trojans etc.

someone help me clear my computer of all this stuff. lets just say someone on netbattle enfected me with a trojan. i know nothing of computers and im being attacked by anti-spyware things telling me i need to delete my trojan and its really annoying.

Get a good anti-virus and this won't happen in the first place.
I recommend Nod32. It's powerful but unlike gay McAfee and Norton, and to some extent Kapersky (or however you spell it), it doesn't munch on your system resources

Run Spybot S&D. As for future protection, Nod32 is an okay pick if you're running a low-end machine. But if you can spare the resources, I'd recommend Avast!, the (free) home edition really has everything you need. Practice safe hex and avoid computer viruses today.

If all else fails, there's still HijackThis, which should be used really as a last-ditch resort and will generate a log of all the "differences" between a clean install and your current system. Then you post said log to a specialized forum and they'll tell you if there is any malware presence/leftovers.

BTW, avast! is my hero too =P

I use Spybot S&D and though I have kapersky on my system which I got free with my computer, I don't use anti-virus. Spybot is good for spyware which is the most common problem.

If all else fails, there's still HijackThis, which should be used really as a last-ditch resort and will generate a log of all the "differences" between a clean install and your current system. Then you post said log to a specialized forum and they'll tell you if there is any malware presence/leftovers.
Be very, very careful when using hijackthis to clean out your system, because you could inadvertently delete system files, making it impossible to boot your system. Make sure that you're getting instruction from someone who knows what they're doing.

I use Super AntiSpyware Plus, which cleared my critical system error messages when I got trojaned a few months ago. It works beautifully, with only one downside: since I use teh free version, I can't tell it to automatically scan. I have to scan it myself, but when I do, it finds EVERYTHING.

for anti-spyware the AVG Anti-Spyware program cleared up a lot more spyware than adaware every did for me.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I will: once you do the things everybody told you, make sure you learn from this and don't click on things that strangers send to you. Ever. If you are just smart about what you do online, 99% of the time you won't need antivirus or antispyware software in the first place.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I will: once you do the things everybody told you, make sure you learn from this and don't click on things that strangers send to you. Ever. If you are just smart about what you do online, 99% of the time you won't need antivirus or antispyware software in the first place.
Right, just as long as you never enter any public chatrooms, play online games on public servers, or click any hyperlinks on any web page, you'll never get any viruses. Screw Unix underpinnings, Windows has the potential to be totally virus-free.

I talk in public chatrooms and click hyperlinks on web pages and I never get viruses. I don't play online games on public servers though.

Well actually I guess I do play Netbattle.

Admittedly, "99% of the time" is an exaggeration. Woe is me, I must have confused the whole interweb.

I talk in public chatrooms and click hyperlinks on web pages and I never get viruses. I don't play online games on public servers though.

Well actually I guess I do play Netbattle.

Admittedly, "99% of the time" is an exaggeration. Woe is me, I must have confused the whole interweb.
My system reports that more than a hundred attempted intrusions have come in while running hl2.exe in the last seven days.

Which I assume were blocked by your firewall? You certainly do need one of those, I never said otherwise. I didn't even say you shouldn't have adaware and antivirus stuff, I have them too. I'm just saying that the vast majority of the problems people do have are caused by their own stupidity.

overall, i don't find freeware anti-virus/spyware programs to be all that reliable. i've used Webroot Spy Sweeper with Anti-Virus for awhile now, and even though you do have to pay for it, (i suppose you could probably find a torrent for it) i would say its one of the best programs out there for this type of thing

The goggles! They do everything?

I use NOD32 and Spybot - Search & Destroy and find that detection to be adequate. Like another poster said, NOD32 is no less effective than the more popular Norton (corporate version is the way to go if you insist on using something by Symantec) and McAfee, and outclasses them by consuming significantly less system resources.

for adware/spyware i use Adaware. i use AVG free for anti-virus, but apparently AVG only picks up 30% of viruses.

not trying to hijack this thread, but i tried to download Nod32 awhile ago and but it said that it could mess up my computer if i have any other anti-virus programs. should i be safe if i download anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)