Gimmicky idea for Smeargle

So I was thinking about my next pokemon to raise, and Smeargle crossed my mind. Then I thought about Drapion. And then I thought, "What if I pair the two together?" This is because of Drapion's trait, Battle Armor, negating Critical Hits.

The idea is to have Smeargle Sketch the move Cosmic Power from an opponent, as well as ya know, Spore, Ingrain, Baton Pass, Substitute, etc. Once you build up some defenses, send them to Drapion (or maybe even Kingler). With all that Defense, healing factor, and no chance for Critical Hits, you could have a pokemon on your hands that'd be nearly indestructible.

I'm sure that's incredibly situational, but any of you think it could possibly be viable at all? Perhaps some testing on Shoddy Battle (which I don't actually have yet) should be in order!

Just a thought.

BAGGINS I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD, MAN

...Ahem, with that outa the way, here's the advice I have for ya

It's a good idea, but with you could use a similar strategy with say, Belly Drum, and pass it to a pokemon with high Speed and Attack with good type coverage (Garchomp? Salamence). No need for the defense boosts when you can sweep teams with Smeargle's offenseive passing :naughty:

Obi had a team posted a few months ago that was picked up by many due to it being a "perfect" Baton Pass team where the recieving pokemon, Lucario, could OHKO everything in his way. I'd try finding that, and good luck to ya.

Aside from the fact you can't have Spore, Ingrain, Baton Pass, Substitute and Cosmic Power, Smeargle is never going to last long enough to get more than one CP boost. Ever.

The only viable recipient of BP from smeargle is Cradily, simply becasue of its ability. As soon as someone sees a smeargle, they will assume it's baton passing, so they send in their roaring Skarm, Swampert or what not.

The only viable recipient of BP from smeargle is Cradily, simply becasue of its ability. As soon as someone sees a smeargle, they will assume it's baton passing, so they send in their roaring Skarm, Swampert or what not.
That's why BP chain smeargles have ingrain.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I disagree. Smeargle is one of the best Pokemon in the game (OU, ubers, and 2v2!, it's all good!).

The problem with this is that even after a Cosmic Power, Smeargle has serious survival problems, meaning you won't be able to pass that much defense on. You would be better off just using Belly Drum, Dragon Dance, or Swords Dance. I think I'd even rather pass Agility to something like Rampardos (I haven't seen that guy in a long time, and with the lack of Donphan and Hippowdon also dropping, it has some potential to do damage to teams, thankfully Machamp's rise has also ended).

I've used something like that! Except I was passing Stockpiles with Mawile, lol.
But yeah, the recipient was Drapion with Night Slash/Swords Dance/Taunt/Brick Break. It worked fine.

this makes me think
spore
ingrain
dragon dance
baton pass
pass that to something with a heavy hitting stab (relicanth rampardos)
I personally like the belly pass to floatzal, with some defence EV's it can set up rain and go on its sweeping way

You really don't have that much time to set up with Smeargle there, either.

Spore, boost, pass. That's all Smeargle can do before he dies in a fire.

only needs one DD though, and a focus sash usually helps, but some things are too complicated I tried
spore
ingrain
aqua-ring
baton pas
when it worked (to breloom) it was healing 25% a turn but it rarely worked

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You really don't have that much time to set up with Smeargle there, either.

Spore, boost, pass. That's all Smeargle can do before he dies in a fire.
That is generally a poor way to do it. When I use BP Smeargle, it's almost always boost, spore, pass (assuming I have Spore).

That sounds pretty cool actually. I've also thought about having a curse/wish umbreon where i curse up and BP over to snorlax where I have EQ, return and body slam. The only problem that I've thought of is that I'd be screwed over by gengar

That sounds pretty cool actually. I've also thought about having a curse/wish umbreon where i curse up and BP over to snorlax where I have EQ, return and body slam. The only problem that I've thought of is that I'd be screwed over by gengar
4th attack? Instead of using 2 normal STABs, you could go Fire Punch which also then covers Skarm/Zong.

obi

formerly david stone
I think he was suggesting that you lose Body Slam or Return for Fire Punch, because the two are redundant.

phalanx, you don't try and set up Smeargle vs. a fast opponent. If they do have a faster Pokemon out, though, it doesn't matter what order you do things in because they still get a free hit. You send in Smeargle vs. something that can't or won't hit you.

Try:

Smeargle: @ Leftovers

252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 SpD

Spore
Substitute
Spider Web
Transform

Substitute will last after you Transform, and Spider Web keeps them trapped.

Works great against a pokemon that usually sets-up. Such as Gyarados.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Might I suggest Solrock/Lunatone? Both get Baton Pass and Cosmic Power and Lunatone gets Hypnosis to aid it in surviving longer. I'm sure both will last longer than a Smeargle, and they have a suprise factor. Sure you lose Ingrain but Drapion learns Taunt, which might be necessary to stop the opposing team from healing or phazing Drapion. Drapion can't be poisoned through normal means so there is the most reliable way of taking it out gone. While the idea has merit I just don't see a smart opponent letting it come to fruition, like nearly any other gimmick that requires time to work.

Try this:

Smeargle: @ Ganlon Berry

Spore
Belly Drum
Substitute
Baton Pass

and pass it to Deoxys-S, that way you don't need Salac, and if the opponent packs a Priority move, you still can use Extreme Speed to hit them first.

I chose Ganlon Berry so Deoxys-S can survive more Priority moves before it dies, incase you don't want Extreme Speed.

I just started run a weird little set that has a huge suprise factor, and actually has defeated more than a few pokes.

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Jolly HP 252 evs/ Spd 252 Evs / Def 6 evs
- Spore
- Trick
- Subsitute/Practically anymove you want
- Transform

This is my current lead. The whole concept behind this is too outspeed a huge amount of opposing pokemon. You spore if you believe it to be a threat. After that you would switch to something else. But if you aren't afraid of the opposing poke, or don't want this as your lead, you can trick CScarf onto something else. Nothing is more satisfying than scarfing something that can't take advantage of it (Such as Bronzong). After that you are free to Spore again or for the first time if possible. And then transform into one of their pokes. It's supremely suprising for them and I laughed when I actually Transformed into the enemy Garchomp who I spored. SD'd up then proceeded to own him with his own Chomp. Of course it's very gimmicky at best, but I've always like off the wall sets on smeargle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)