move 4: Defog
item: Griseous Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
evs: 252 Def / 244 SpA / 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Hex is Giratina-O's main STAB move. While its Base Power is lower than that of Shadow Ball, it inflicts double the damage against any Pokemon afflicted with status. Draco Meteor hits Pokemon immune or resistant to Ghost-type attacks for massive damage. It also hits Pokemon without status harder than Hex. Thunder Wave is used to cripple switch-ins like Xerneas and Arceus formes so Giratina-O can then hit them with a boosted Hex. Finally, Defog is used to remove entry hazards. Shadow Sneak is a noteworthy option; it's a decent priority move that deals great damage to Latios, Latias, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S. Dragon Tail can be considered too because it allows Giratina-O to phaze Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Defense are used to make sure Giratina-O survives a +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus after Stealth Rock damage. It also gives it enough bulk to survive two +2 Stone Edge hits from Ground Arceus after Stealth Rock damage. Note that Giratina-O has high base HP, so investing the EVs in Defense instead is more effective and gives it better physical bulk. 244 EVs in Special Attack with a Modest nature make Giratina-O hit for maximum damage. Finally, 12 Speed EVs let Giratina-O outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in Giratina-O on Primal Groudon, as it's immune to Ground-type attacks. Once Giratina-O is in, you can either use Defog, use Draco Meteor, or predict the switch out and use Thunder Wave. Lead with it against Deoxys-S; it will be wary of using Taunt turn one because Shadow Sneak 2HKOes it, so you can use Thunder Wave and then Defog or Hex to KO it and prevent it from setting up Stealth Rock on your side. Giratina-O also checks Extreme Killer Arceus, so don't hesitate to switch it in if needed. It also checks Mega Salamence in a pinch, as it survives a +1 Double-Edge. Finally, keep Giratina-O safe from poison and burn because status wears it down very quickly.

Team Options
========

Pair Giratina-O with Pokemon carrying status moves like Klefki, Primal Groudon, and support Arceus formes so it can utilize Hex more easily. Pairing it with Hex Mega Gengar is encouraged too, as double Hex works well in the metagame. Giratina-O can only significantly damage Ho-Oh when the latter is afflicted with status, so a solid check to it like Water Arceus is mandatory, especially considering that Ho-Oh can burn Giratina-O with Sacred Fire or inflict huge damage on it with Brave Bird. Furthermore, Water Arceus provides a secondary Primal Groudon check and can also check Mega Diancie, a Pokemon that hugely annoys Giratina-O. Dark-type Pokemon greatly threaten this Giratina-O set, so Fairy-type Pokemon like Klefki and Xerneas should be supporting it. Finally, solid checks to Xerneas like Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh are important, while a switch-in to Dragon-type moves like Klefki is needed to take the Draco Meteor of the faster Latios and Latias.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I wouldn't really mention Ground Arceus a switchin opportunity unless it's statused, because you have no status that affects it or means of phasing it on this set it just sets up in your face (it doesn't lose much staying in vs phys gira either so not knowing set isn't a huge issue) and recovers off Draco dmg. Otherwise this looks rly nice, srry for being kinda nitpicky but that sentence rly stood out lol.

maybe mention that deo-s is wary of taunting it since shadow sneak can 2hko so twave + defog/hex has a good matchup. i'd never use gira-o without defog fwiw so maybe deslash it.

also mention the downsides of losing sneak / dtail e.g. can't pick off mewtwo and phaze groudon/ekiller

approved 1/3

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Defog should be only slash in Slot 4, but you can still mention Sneak in moves.

Maybe mention Gengar as a partner, double Hex strats are legit.

QC 2/3

Set and moves:
I think Toxic can be an alternative to draco, idk if it's slash worthy though. Toxic enables Giratina-O to counter Arceus-Ground, but it's also nice for stuff like Pdon, Ho-oh, Waterceus etc. Will-o-wisp is even better vs Groundceus, but it sucks to not be able to do much to Pdon. Msab walls you when using double status, however, and that is kinda problematic.

No slash on sneak, I'd never run Giratina-O without Defog.

Set details:
No need to mention levitate.

Usage tips:
I would definitely hesitate to switch into Mence, so don't word it like that. Yeah, Giratina-O does check Mence in a pinch, but it's by far something you'd just switch in.

Team options:
Klefki is practically mandatory. I don't like the wording of Ho-oh, recommending Arceus-Rock to builders just because you happen to use something that can "only" do 45 % (yea it does with hex on a twaved) and is actually physically bulky is just wrong. If anything recommend Arceus-Water because it is an actual good mon with nice match ups against shit Giratina-O hates (Diancie mainly) and adds a second Pdon check with good synergy. It is also fine to run this with Ekiller. Point 3) becomes weirdly put in combination with point 2). You first mandate Arceus-Rock and then you need an Arceus-Ground. I think overall you need to provide more examples.

Why is outrunning Diancie pre mega necessary? You're not using Earthquake or Earth Power, it reflects back Thunder Wave (I've never seen someone delay mega-ing it) and is immune to Draco Meteor. You could hit it with Thunder Wave on the switch, but speed would be irrelevant then.

QC 2/3. Everything got implemented and the text is up. Waiting for the last QC check.

Why is outrunning Diancie pre mega necessary? You're not using Earthquake or Earth Power, it reflects back Thunder Wave (I've never seen someone delay mega-ing it) and is immune to Draco Meteor. You could hit it with Thunder Wave on the switch, but speed would be irrelevant then.
244+ SpA Giratina-O Hex (65 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 102-120 (42.3 - 49.7%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
This is not bad for only 12 EVs in speed I think.

Last edited:
i wouldnt say that tina-o cant damage ho-oh (team options), cuz if its the jolly cb set then getting any status on it does this:

244+ SpA Griseous Orb Giratina-O Hex (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 180-213 (50.9 - 60.3%)

aka you win if it decides to switch into you

set options could use a line to mention why investing in defense is better than hp, also mention a rash nature for times where you swap a move for something physical (sneak > defog for example)

edit: last part of that may not be necessary cuz no physical moves are slashed, ur call

dark types can be a real bitch to this set, mention checks to them for team options. lack of sneak can cause problems vs fast threats that you need priority to revenge kill, so mons like ekiller can go here too
a team options without pdon explicitly mentioned is a crime btw, in this case it spreads status rly well for the hex spam and sets rocks yayaya u know the drill

QC 3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yayaya
i might have gone overboard with the comments. but i hope they explain why i did what i did!

GP 1/2
[SET]
name: Parahex
move 1: Hex
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Thunder Wave

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Hex is Giratina-Origin's main STAB move. While its Base Power is lower than that of weaker than Shadow Ball, it inflicts double the damage against any Pokemon afflicted with inflicted by (hrmm did this because you say inflicts earlier in the sentence and "inflicted by status" doesn't sit quite right with me, i think because in "inflicted by x", the x should be the one doing the inflicting (aka the agent)) status. Draco Meteor hits Pokemon immune or resistant to or that resist Ghost-type attacks for massive damage. It also hits Pokemon without not inflicted by status harder than Hex. Thunder Wave is used to cripple switch-ins like Xerneas and Arceus formes so Giratina-O can and then hit them with Hex. Finally, Defog is used to remove hazards. Using Shadow Sneak is a considerable (according to google this did mean "able to be considered" in late Middle English? lol but it really just means "noteworthy" or "large" nowadays, so can you change it something else?) option; (ASC) it's a decent priority move that deals great damage to Latios, Latias, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S. Dragon Tail can be considered too because since (not wrong but currently the GP rule is that we only use since in cases like "i haven't eaten since yesterday" (which is true for me right now......), so i gotta change it u_u) it allows Giratina-Origin to phaze Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Defense are used to make sure Giratina-Origin lives survives a +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus after Stealth Rock damage. It also gives it enough bulk to like survive two +2 Stone Edge hits from Ground Arceus Ground after Stealth Rock damage. Note that Giratina-Origin has high base HP, so investing the EVs in Defense instead is more optimal (that's like saying "more best", so you can change it to "more effective" or "more efficient" or just "preferred", your choice) and gives it better physical bulk. 244 EVs in Special Attack with a Modest nature makes it Giratina-O hit for maximum damage. Finally, 12 Speed EVs let Giratina-O outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in Giratina-Origin on Primal Groudon, as since it's immune to Ground-type attacks. Once Giratina-Origin is in, you can either use Defog, use Draco Meteor, or predict the switch out and use Thunder Wave. Lead with it against Deoxys-Speed. The latter; it will be wary of using Taunt turn 1 since one because Shadow Sneak 2HKOes it, so you can use Thunder Wave and then Defog or Hex to KO can kill it and prevent it from setting up Stealth Rock on your side. Giratina-Origin also checks Extreme Killer Arceus, so don't hesitate to switch it in if needed. It also checks Mega Salamence in a pinch, as it survives since it lives a +1 Double-Edge. Finally, keep it Giratina-O safe from poison and burn because since status wears it down very quickly.

Team Options
========

Pair it Giratina-O with Pokemon carrying status moves like Klefki, Primal Groudon, (AC) and support Arceus formes so Giratina-Origin can abuse utilize Hex more. Pairing it with Hex Mega Gengar-Mega is encouraged too, as since double Hex works well in the metagame. Giratina-Origin can only damage Ho-Oh when the latter is afflicted with inflicted by (this is complicated but the short explanation is that it's an improper use of inflicted) status, so a solid check to it the latter like Water Arceus is mandatory, especially considering that Ho-Oh can burn Giratina-Origin with Sacred Fire or inflict huge damage to on it with Brave Bird. Furthermore, Water Arceus provides a secondary Primal Groudon check and can also check Mega Diancie, a Pokemon that hugely annoys Giratina-Origin. Dark-type Pokemon hugely threatens this Giratina-Origin set, so Fairy-type Pokemon like Klefki or and Xerneas should be supporting it. Finally, solid checks to Xerneas like Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh are important, (AC) while a dragon-type moves switch-in to Dragon-type moves like Klefki is needed to take the Draco Meteor of the faster Latios and Latias.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[SET]
name: ParaHex
move 1: Hex
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Thunder Wave

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Hex is Giratina-O's main STAB move. While its Base Power is lower than that of Shadow Ball, it inflicts double the damage against any Pokemon afflicted with status. Draco Meteor hits Pokemon immune or resistant to Ghost-type attacks for massive damage. It also hits Pokemon without status harder than Hex. Thunder Wave is used to cripple switch-ins like Xerneas and Arceus formes so Giratina-O can then hit them with a boosted Hex. Finally, Defog is used to remove entry hazards. Shadow Sneak is a noteworthy option; it's a decent priority move that deals great damage to Latios, Latias, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S. Dragon Tail can be considered too because it allows Giratina-O to phaze Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Defense are used to make sure Giratina-O survives a +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus after Stealth Rock damage. It also gives it enough bulk to survive two +2 Stone Edge hits from Ground Arceus after Stealth Rock damage. Note that Giratina-O has high base HP, so investing the EVs in Defense instead is more effective and gives it better physical bulk. 244 EVs in Special Attack with a Modest nature makes make Giratina-O hit for maximum damage. Finally, 12 Speed EVs let Giratina-O outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in Giratina-O on Primal Groudon, as it's immune to Ground-type attacks. Once Giratina-O is in, you can either use Defog, use Draco Meteor, or predict the switch out and use Thunder Wave. Lead with it against Deoxys-S; it will be wary of using Taunt turn one because Shadow Sneak 2HKOes it, so you can use Thunder Wave and then Defog or Hex to KO it and prevent it from setting up Stealth Rock on your side. Giratina-O also checks Extreme Killer Arceus, so don't hesitate to switch it in if needed. It also checks Mega Salamence in a pinch, as it survives a +1 Double-Edge. Finally, keep Giratina-O safe from poison and burn because status wears it down very quickly.

Team Options
========

Pair Giratina-O with Pokemon carrying status moves like Klefki, Primal Groudon, and support Arceus formes so Giratina-Origin it can utilize Hex more easily. Pairing it with Hex Mega Gengar is encouraged too, as double Hex works well in the metagame. Giratina-O can only significantly damage Ho-Oh when the latter is afflicted with status, so a solid check to it like Water Arceus is mandatory, especially considering that Ho-Oh can burn Giratina-O with Sacred Fire or inflict huge damage on it with Brave Bird. Furthermore, Water Arceus provides a secondary Primal Groudon check and can also check Mega Diancie, a Pokemon that hugely annoys Giratina-O. Dark-type Pokemon hugely greatly (repetition) threaten this Giratina-O set, so Fairy-type Pokemon like Klefki and Xerneas should be supporting it. Finally, solid checks to Xerneas like Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh are important, while a switch-in to Dragon-type moves like Klefki is needed to take the Draco Meteor of the faster Latios and Latias.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)