Girls Gone Mawile'd

Long time lurker, first time RMTer. With gen 6 coming out and how easy it has become to breed perfect pokemon, I decided to breed a team in-game for the first time. Usually I just throw something together for showdown and tweak it as necessary, but because of the time commitment required to make something good in game I've decided to come here for advice.

This team is based around MegaMawile; I've always found Mawile to be a very interesting pokemon aesthetically, but until gen 6 and its mega evolution I've never been able to use it seriously. MegaMawile rips things up, but it still needs a lot of help to win games. I built this team to create opportunities for Mawile to win games. The basic idea is to use Salamence + the Scizor/Rotom voltturn core to weaken the enemy team enough for Mawile to come in safely, get a swords dance, and kill everything. Here it goes!

Mawile @ Mawilite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 116 Def / 8 Spe

Adamant

- Play Rough

- Fire Fang

- Sucker Punch

- Swords Dance

I like to use MegaMawile to end games; this team is built around handling the pokes that he can't OHKO after a Swords Dance. The basic idea is to switch Mawile in on a weakened attacker or wall that can't threaten him, SD up and end the game. Play Rough acts as his primary STAB, with Fire Fang acting as coverage mostly for Scizor, who can take a Play Rough pretty well and mess up my Sucker Punch with his Bullet Punch. The EVs are meant to allow Mawile to take a hit while he boosts up; 248 HP for the highest odd HP, 116 Def to help take hits from the -1 physical attackers that he's supposed to come in on, 8 Speed to outspeed Azumarills that put 4 EVs into speed, and the rest dumped into attack.

Salamence @ Life Orb

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive

- Draco Meteor

- Dragon Claw

- Fire Blast

- Earthquake

The classic gen 5 mixmence set, ripped straight from smogon and ever-so-slightly modified to be legal pre-pokebank. I chose Salamence because of the incredible type-synergy it has with Mawile and because of it's ability to wreck things that Mawile has a hard time handling. Since it's job is to break walls and force switches, I went with Intimidate over moxie to help it take hits a little better and to scare off things like Excadrill that can give other members of my team a hard time. He's also pretty good at handling Rotom-W, who can quite easily ruin my Mawile's day if he's carrying WoW.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe

Modest

- Hydro Pump

- Volt Switch

- Hidden Power Ice / Thunderbolt

- Will-O-Wisp

When I was building this team, I realized fairly quickly that while MawileMence can dish out some serious damage, they both need a bit of help to do their jobs properly. Enter Rotom. Rotom (and his best friend Scizor) are pretty much my entire mid game, volt-turning around each other until an opportunity presents itself for Mawile to end the game. I really like the synergy that Rotom has with both Salamence and Mawile; Rotom takes ice attacks aimed at Salamence like a champ, and is amazing at setting up opportunities for mawile to come in with burn and Volt Switch. The set I use is ripped straight from smogon and has yet to do me wrong; I always use HP Ice on showdown, but I do intend to breed this team in game, and I don't know if I'm patient/stubborn enough to try and breed for a specific Hidden Power.

Scizor @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant

- Bullet Punch

- U-Turn

- Pursuit

- Brick Break

Scizor is the obvious companion to Rotom; it's the same set everyone's seen and used a thousand times and it keeps working so I see no reason to change it. Scizor, like Rotom, serves to wear things down in the mid game and pick off weakened pokes to allow Mawile to come in and finish the game. Like Rotom, Scizor can easily take ice attacks for Salamence, and it's ridiculously powerful U-turn makes it a hell of a lot easier for Mawile to come in and set up.

Xatu @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Bounce

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Impish

- Night Shade

- U-turn

- Wish

- Thunder Wave

Having built the mid and end-game core of this team, I found that this team really wanted a spinner, a hazard-setter, and wish support, but I only had two slots left to fill three roles. With Forretress out of the question (no way am I running two 4x fire-weak pokemon without rain), I had to get a little creative to meet my goals. Enter Xatu. He's usually just used to bounce hazards and set up screens, but I've found him to be the perfect stop-gap to my teams issues. The threat of magic bounce is often enough to keep people from trying to set up hazards until it's too late, and Xatu's normally-meagar Wishes are more than enough for the low base HP that Rotom, Mawile, and Scizor all share. Xatu also has a fairly convenient 95 base speed, low enough that most of the things people like to hit hard with will outspeed it and allow him to get a convenient slow U-turn off, but high enough that many of the bulkier heavy hitters that end up finishing him off are too slow to stop him from getting off one last Wish to heal up what ever I bring in to revenge kill them. Now, unfortunately for Xatu his Flying/Psychic typing leaves a lot to be desired, but his 4x resistance to fighting and immunity to ground are both highly appreciated by the final member of my team, who also conveniently resists ghost and dark, and who laughs in the face of Ice Beams and Thunderbolts aimed at Xatu.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef

Gentle

- Crunch

- Fire Blast

- Pursuit

- Stealth Rocks

Tyranitar's job is basically to set up Stealth Rocks and die, but he can actually do slightly more than that under the right circumstances. For once thing, people still seem to love sending in Ferrothorn in against Ttar, and I've also found that this set can take Aegislash by surprise if I haven't shown them Fire Blast yet; Ttar has a convenient base speed of 61, and since most Aegislash have little to no speed investment, Ttar can hit Aegislash reasonably hard before it dies to Sacred Sword; if it SDs or Attacks, it takes 40-50% damage from Crunch, and if it King's Shields I can hit it with Fire Blast for about 30% next turn, softening it up for an easy revenge kill with Salamence.

Thanks for any feedback, I'm looking forward yo hearing your thoughts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)