Glaring Threats

Hi everybody! This is my first dabble in RU, but not my first time in competitive battling. My goal for this team was to cripple the opposing team through Trick + Glare while breaking down the walls with Emboar. This would ultimately allow me to sweep with SubCM Meloetta. With this intro done, here's the team!

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Rough Skin
Careful Nature
252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Sp Def
-Glare
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Tail
-Fire Punch

Drud is my SR setter and Glare spreader. I maximized special bulk to better handle special attackers like Houndoom, Venusaur, etc.. Glare is the easy move to spam with only Electric types being immune. Dragon Tail is to ParaPhaze, while Fire Punch is to nail Magneton on the predicted Glare switch in. Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet are great to punish VoltTurn spammers.

Aromatisse@ Leftovers
Aroma Veil
Bold Nature (0 Attack IVs)
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp Attack
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Aromatherapy

Aroma is my cleric, pretty straightforward. I chose a more fully defensive set to check powerful fighting types (Hitmonlee, Medicham, etc...) I maximized HP to get the biggest Wishes. WishTect is nothing new, but always classic. Moonblast are there for checking said threats, while Aromatherapy is for status removal. Aroma + Drud form a great core that really deters VoltTurn users (Flygon, Rotom-C, etc...).

Flygon@ Leftovers
Levitate
Jolly Nature
252 HP/ 116 Def/ 116 Sp Def/ 24 Speed
-Defog
-Earthquake
-Roost
-U-Turn

I decided to use defensive defogger Flygon to remove hazards. While my team, is not overly reliant on hazard removal, toxic spikes can really stop my team solid since i don't have any grounded Poison types. Earthquake is for STAB. Roost is for HP Recovery. U-Turn is to pivot out. This is also the Turn of my VoltTurn core.

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid Nature (0 Attack IVs)
252 Sp Attack/ 4 Sp Def/ 252 Speed
-Trick
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Leaf Storm

Mow is my MVP in a lot of matches. Choice Scarf allows it to check multiple threats (Aero, Scarf Emboar, etc..). It is also my soft switch in for Magneton (who would otherwise rip through my team with those Analytic boosted Flash Cannons). Leaf Storm/Thunderbolt are the STABs that make grounded types (Rhyperior) from switching in blindly on a predicted Volt Switch. Trick cripples many walls, especially Venusaur, which is almost always the safest switch in. Mow also forms the Volt in my VoltTurn core. Since both Flygon and Mow are both levitating and can pivot pretty easily.

Emboom @ Choice Band
Reckless
Adamant Nature
252 Attack/ 4 Sp Def/ 252 Speed
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Superpower
-Sucker Punch

Emboom is my wallbreaker. It loves when Glare is spread by Drud, making it easier to just destroy things. I'm just going to let these calcs do the talking.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Qwilfish: 248-294 (74.2 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 120 HP / 136+ Def Alomomola: 348-410 (69.4 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 214-253 (55.8 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur: 126-148 (34.6 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It has the ability to severely cripple most walls (if it is predicted correctly). It also my check to Sneasel and M-Glalie who threats my team immensely (especially if Aromatisse is gone).

Meloetta Leftovers
Serene Grace
Timid Nature (0 Attack IVs)
252 HP/ 208 Def/ 48 Speed
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast/Hyper Voice

Melo is my end game cleaner. SubCM and crazy special 100/129 special bulk is nothing to scoff at. After the other team is weakened, I can usually bring in Melo with ease (especially on special attacking Flygon, Choice Scarf locked Venusaur, etc...) Sub protects from status, and 252 HP create the magical 101 substitutes. CM boosts the already great Sp Def. 48 Speed EVs outspeed Adamant Absol and CS Exploud, while the rest of the EVs go into defense. Psyshock is the preferred STAB. I've been toying with Focus Blast vs. Hyper Voice. I hate Focus Miss (especially on annoying BU users like Braviary), but just when I want to switch, I run into Registeel, Magneton, Rhyperior, etc... which Focus Blast hits harder than Hyper Voice.

So, this is my team.I have peaked currently around 1500 and would like to hear some feedback. My biggest issues that I see are heavy hazard teams with Sneasel. If I can't get Flygon in to defog, then the rest of my team is stuck.

Importable is below:

Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 24 Spe
Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Reactions: Ark

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Interesting looking team. Pretty odd to me but I appreciate the usage of druddigon, thing should be used tbh.

First, Id like to point out there is no reason to run Rocky Helmet if you are Specially Defensive. A more optimal EV Distribution would 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def with an Impish Nature. This allows druddigon to check a plethora of physical threats like Virizion which looks pretty threatening and stuff like Emboar and what not.

Metagame right now is heavily unking to slower Flygons so it is heavily recommended to run max speed on those nowadays. An EV spread of 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly Nature can work here since Flygon can make excellent use of its speed to check stuff like Drapion, Houndoom and opposing Meloettas since it can 2hko them which can relieve some pressure from your own meloetta which is your only psychic check.

In order to relieve the pressure from Sneasel and Mega Glalie (good lord, they are so annoying to you), Id switch items on rotom-cut and emboar. Choice Specs for Rotom-Cut and Choice Scarf for Emboar can work since that way Emboar has better odds against Mega Glalie and Emboar as mentioned and Rotom-Cut will still preserve the trick utility while being a really threatening to go against nowadays.

And I think thats it. Im hella rusty with this rating thingy so I hope this works well for you. Good luck!

MrAldo Thanks for the feedback! Do you think I should keep Adamant on Emboar, or switch it up to Jolly? Is there a certain speed tier to creep against?

Thanks for the Drud info! I do like him a lot. I'll definitely be trying out both of those sets.

Hey, Patrick! Nice team and Aldo has already given some solid suggestions. I have one suggestion in regards to your Meloetta and your problem you mentioned at the end with Heavy Hazard Stacking teams that have Sneasel and not letting you get Flygon in safely.

Changing Meloetta's set to an Offensive Calm Mind set with Colbur Berry can be beneficial as it can lure in Sneasel and OHKO it with Focus Blast or DGleam. This also can work against other Dark-type Pokemon or, in general, Pokemon carrying Knock Off. However, this is not the only reason I believe this set to be more optimal on this team. This set also runs Max Spa / Max Speed with a Timid nature assuring that you will outspeed things like Hitmonlee, Venusaur and Medicham which can be threatening to switch in to. This generally works as a late game cleaner just as well as SUB CM as it can outspeed most things with its decent speed tier. Aromatisse makes for a great partner as it can heal any status ailment that comes it's way and also wishpass to it due to its lack of passive recovery with leftovers. While, physical attackers like Rotom-Mow and Flygon help in wearing down Specially Defensive checks like Diancie and Slowking.

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam

I would recommend Shadow Ball for this team due it hitting Psychic types (Uxie, Sigi, etc) supereffectively which otherwise resist both other moves, however dazzling gleam can be run to hit Dark types without fear of missing and hitting Spiritomb in particular.

Thank you Chakra for the feedback! Colbur Berry is very interesting and let's it check certain mons better (SP Houndoom, Emboar, KO Sneasel, etc...).

I've been testing out the changes, and Flygon seems to be more annoying than ever. Honestly, it's the Flygon + Magneton core that's the worst. I switch in Aroma on the predicted U-Turn/Outrage to be pivoted out to Magneton, who does a ton to any switch in. I am considering AV Eelektross or Sp Def Lanturn > Rotom-Mow for the simple fact that Magneton is just stupid. But, the power output is so considerably less, that it's not funny. What are your thoughts?

AV Eelektross would function most similiar to Rotom-C, while having more bulk. Access to Volt Switch/Giga Drain/Knock Off/Flamethrower/HP Ice gives it good utility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)