godzilla (or other toho movies) discussion

RODAN

Banned deucer.
ok, if you know me you know i am a huge huge huge godzilla fan, hence my name

so i have decided to list my 2 favourites

#2 - Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
this movie was so incredible that i watched it twice in one day

#1 - Godzilla Raids Again
the sequel to the original movie. was shot in black and white and was the only godzilla to do so. also had a badass fight betweeng godzilla and anguirus

Everything I know about Godzilla comes from Mystery Science Theater 3000. That said they're far better than most of the usual fare they riff on, and I'd probably enjoy them in the original Japanese. (Although Godzilla rocket kick in the one with Jet Jaguar would still be a major wtf).

P.S. Gamera sucks nads.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Any movie with Mothra in it is my favorite. King Ghidorah is cool too.

Ps. That Godzilla kick on Jet Jaguar was awesome

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm a pretty big fan of Godzilla, I've seen every film and own most of them on DVD/VHS. Here are my top 5 movies:

#5 Godzilla vs. Megalon
Was supposed to be a solo movie for Jet Jaguar, but Godzilla and Gigan were added since Toho didn't believe JJ could sell a movie himself. It is a pretty shitty movie overall, overuse of stock footage, terrible editing, but I still really enjoy it because Jet Jaguar is such a likable kaiju.

#4 Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
This film is stellar, the best of the Shōwa Era by far, the fight scenes are incredible and the mystery behind the fake Godzilla in the beginning keeps the viewer intrigued. King Caesar makes his first appearance and is another fantastic kaiju, one of my favorites. Caesar's fight with Mechagodzilla is hilarious and like Jet Jaguar, he is an incredibly likable monster.

#3 Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Going to see a theme here with my favorites, but Mechagodzilla/Kiryu is my favorite kaiju. This probably has one of the best plots in a Godzilla film (which isn't really saying much) and the fights are some of the best. Incredible entry in the series and one of the more well rounded films that even a non-kaiju fan could enjoy.

#2 Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
Sequel to #3, S.O.S. begins where GAM left off. The addition of Mothra makes for a compelling story and I think this film has THE best action in the Godzilla series. It has a touching end, and if this was the final entry in the Godzilla franchise it would've been absolutely perfect, but alas when you have a cash cow you keep making films.

#1 King Kong vs. Godzilla
I'm pretty sure this is the first Godzilla film I saw and owned. The two biggest names in monster movie history duking it out made for a pretty compelling story. The English version is a bit different and despite being shorter, is just as good. The ambiguous ending was pretty fitting for such a clash, shame these two monsters will probably never meet again. Also happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

Honorable mentions:
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Destroyah
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Yay, a Godzilla discussion.
I'm a huge fan of Godzilla. I've bought movies, collected action figures. I just love the guy.

I think my favorite movie has got to be... Godzilla 2000

It was the first movie I ever saw, and I'll never forget Orga exploding when he devoured Godzilla.

Still waiting for a new movie though, :P

Oh no, Gamera is atta- FUCK GAMERA!

How fitting a topic as earlier this week I bought this:

on ebay.

Love me some Mecha Godzilla. Also, any variation of Godzilla and Ghidorah are badass in my book.

I also quite enjoyed Final Wars, if only for the most badass American in Japan cinema history.

Oh man, I've been such a huge Godzilla fan ever since young childhood. (I actually have faint memories of watching Gamera movies when I was like, 3-4, before I was aware of Godzilla's existence)

My favorite enemy monster is Gigan for whatever reason. Haha, if memory serves, the first Godzilla film I ever actually owned was the aforementioned King Kong VS Godzilla. It was incredibly cheesy to me (even in comparison to some of the other GZ films) but I absolutely loved it once the fighting started.

One nitpick I have with the series though; why do they hate on Anguirus so much?! He's one of my favorite monsters in the series, and I always like admirable sidekick-type characters. Not to mention there's a serious lack of quadrupeds in the series. They could do a lot of cool stuff with Anguirus, but instead he seems to exist just to get his butt handed to him. Oh well, I guess it makes Godzilla look cooler.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)