Going to see Joanna Newsom live

Some of you may know who she is, others may not. Doesn't matter though...

I must say the first time I listened to her and her latest CD, Ys, I didn't really enjoy it, and kind of ignored it, to Aubergine's (the person who told me to get her CD) discontent. A few weeks later though, while playing Link's Awakening, I decided to give the CD a second chance. It was only then I was totally blown away by this artist. The voice I found annoying a few weeks before, now completely stunned me, especially in Emily and Cosmia. I don't care much for lyrics, but I must say I fell in love with her way of writing, especially in Cosmia and its anaphoras.

To my joy I found out last week she was coming here on May 2nd. It was kind of late, but I was still able to get relatively good tickets for the concert, and now I'm anxious.

This might not interest many (Aubergine and DM maybe?), but it's still a good way to express my joy and gratitude for the person who told me to listen to her.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm SUPER jealous right now. Y's was strange at first, yeah, but same for me, it grew on me incredibly. Like you said about Emily and Cosmia, her voice has really advanced from her first album and those are the two best songs on Y's, I don't even notice the length of them when listening.

That's what makes the album great. It flows really well and one great song gives place to another. The moment I start listening to it I'm warped into a praire. There I'm reminded of those child's tales with characters like Mr. Hare, Miss Porcupine etc.. It might be hard getting used to, but this is gentle and simple music.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have various friends who listen to her and I never really understood the appeal. Maybe it's just because I don't like her voice. I guess it is something that grows on you rather than liking it immediately. I'll get my friend at uni to lend me a CD or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)