Gold standard

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
GOLD STANDARD

Hi! I'm doing an LC team that's going well for now. Being 16 on the ladder doesn't mean a lot, but it at least means this team has a nice score. I'm still trying to make it better and to show it, so I figured I could ask for some help.

Binko – Timburr @ Guts|Careful|Eviolite
EVs: 76 HP|196 Atk|236 SDef​
Bulk Up|Drain Punch|Mach Punch|Payback
Timburr is an excellent Pokémon in this metagame. Bulk Up is a fantastic move to use, as it provides the physical bulk Timburr needs and allow it to beat other fighting-types and croagunk.
Mach Punch is a much-needed priority on this team, allowing it to pick off weakened pokémons, frail choice scarf users and focus sash pokémons.
Drain Punch is the best STAB move for Timburr, thanks to the added recovery it provides, allowing it to be healthy troughout the battle.
Payback provides the much-needed coverage against ghost-types, as I won’t keep him against psychic-types.

Kuzko – Chinchou @ Volt Absorb|Calm|Eviolite

EVs: 76 HP | 132 Def | 228 SDef | 60 Spd
Discharge|Scald|Rest|Sleep Talk

Chinchou is one of the best switch-in to Murkrow in the game. It’s also the nightmare of every Electric-type: He’s immune to their STAB with Volt Absorb and resists BoltBeam.
His STAB attacks, Discharge and Scald, were chosen because of their handy 30% chance to Paralyze and Burn.
The two other moveslots are for Rest and Sleep Talk, which give him semi-reliable healing, although the sleep mechanics in Generation V are kinda bad news.
The only thing he’d need is Instant healing, although he still does his job at sniping every flying- and water-type in the game.​

Lana – Ponyta @ Flame Body|Jolly|Eviolite

EVs: 76 SDef | 196 Spd | 156 Atk | 76 Def
Morning Sun|Flare Blitz|Sunny Day|Wild Charge

(AKA I couldn’t resist the urge of putting a MLP Ponyta here)

Ponyta is the pivot of the team: He provides a reliable counter to Mienfoo with its ability, flame body, which allows him to come in on Fake Out and burn him, rendering him useless.
Flare Blitz provides his most powerful STAB move, while the recoil isn’t that annoying because of my second move: Morning sun, allowing him to reliably heal even if the opponent has hippopotas or Snover with his third move, Sunny day, which also boosts the healing effect of Morning Sun and Flare Blitz’s power.
Finally, we have Wild Charge, which allows him to hit water-types super effectively, missing only on Chinchou and Rock/Ground types.

Sam - Porygon @ Trace|Timid|Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 HP | 236 SAtk | 196 Spd​
Ice Beam|Shadow Ball|Tri Attack|Trick
Porygon is a giant beast in this metagame full of frail sweepers, sandstorm teams and walls. The choice scarf set is a nice example of a lead, potential wall and cleaner: if I use it as a lead, it can Trick the ferroseed/bronzor/lileep that comes in to setup stealth rock.
Then, it can Tri Attack the switch-in to 2HKO, and can threaten the opponent with his potential eviolite gained in the process. He can also act as a Sand Team destroyer, thanks to Trace and choice scarf: it can trace Drilbur or Sandshrew’s Sand Rush, and proceed to OHKO both with Ice Beam.
Shadow Ball is here to threaten Misdreavus or any ghost type, as they are cleanly 2HKOed on the switch.

Miku - Misdreavus @ Levitate|Timid|Eviolite

EVs: 240 SAtk | 240 Spd
Nasty Plot|Shadow Ball|Substitute|Hidden Power [Fighting]

Misdreavus is a beast that is sometimes enough to sweep entire teams: set up a Substitute to prevent toxic/thunder wave, Nasty Plot to prepare the speed, spam Shadow Ball, use Hidden Power against normal-types and steel types.It’s really that simple.
It can also setup on Mienfoo, as the substitute isn’t destroyed by Knock Off, and thus allows him to setup Nasty Plot on his face.
He can’t be stopped from getting at least two kills per battle, OHKOing the opposing choice scarf user while he can only break the sub.​

Johnny - Drilbur @ Mold Breaker|Jolly|Eviolite

EVs: 236 Atk | 212 Spd | 36 HP
Rapid Spin|Stealth Rock|Earthquake|Rock Slide

(AKA I don’t have a Sandshrew on my team but these two were just too cute together)

Drilbur is usually my lead, and usually a wallbreaker. He usually start by smashing Bronzor/Misdreavus leads with Earthquake, before using Stealth rock to help me sweep a bit easier.
He only uses Rapid Spin if the opponent got a whole lot of hazards, as losing momentum for clearing a little spike isn’t worth it.
Rock Slide is mainly used against flying- and bug-types, and allow me to smash Larvesta.

Threat List

LC Offensive Threats

Mienfoo:
  • Bulky Attacker: Misdreavus can handle it, Ponyta can burn it and Timburr can set up on it.
  • Choice Scarf: Kinda rare, but I usually switch on Misdreavus on an obvious HJK/Drain Punch, or switch Ponyta in to burn, Morning sun and KO with flare blitz.
  • Baton Pass: Never encountered it, but Misdreavus setup alongside him and KO the switch-in.
  • Life Orb: Misdreavus can setup a nasty plot on him and KO as it can take a Stone Edge, or Ponyta can come in to burn and Morning Sun until Stone Edge's PPs are out or Life Orb recoil kills him.
Chinchou:
  • Bulky Sweeper: Drilbur OHKOes him, Timburr actually likes the paralysis or the burn and can setup on him, Chinchou walls him but can't really hurt him, Misdreavus can KO it by spamming shadow ball.
  • Choice Scarf: switch-in Drilbur on volt switch to stop momentum, Chinchou walls him.
  • Agility: Never actually encountered it, but Chinchou walls him and Timburr can drain punch/mach punch combo to weaken him to deliver the final blow from Missy.
Misdreavus:
  • Nasty Plot: My own missy can speed tie, Drilbur can 2HKO if it doesn't have the boost, Porygon 2HKOes.
  • Bulky Attacker: kinda annoying to face, but Porygon/Missy 2HKOes him with Shadow Ball, Timburr can also defeat it by switching on will-o-wisp, or Ponyta can spam Flare Blitz.
  • Choice Scarf: switch Porygon on shadow ball, Misdreavus on HP fighting, and retaliate with shadow ball.
  • Calm Mind: Never actually encountered it, but Timburr can 2HKO with Payback and Porygon can potentially KO if it's weakened. Also, Ponyta.
Staryu:
  • Eviolite: welp, Chinchou.
  • Life Orb: See Eviolite.
  • Rain Dance: Never actually encountered it, but see Eviolite.
Croagunk:
  • Bulky Offensive: Actually kind of annoying for my team, but Drilbur can OHKO and ponyta can come in on fake out for the potential burn, or stall until burn with Morning Sun against drain punch.
Gastly:
  • Substitute: Never encountered gastly, but I guess I can switch Chinchou in on Hypnosis and sleep talk.
  • Choice Scarf: If it's locked into Shadow Ball, Porygon can OHKO it. If it's locked into Sludge Bomb, Misdreavus can OHKO it.
Murkrow:
  • MixKrow: Chinchou walls it to hell and beyond.
  • SubRoost: See MixKrow, even if it's kind of annoying.
  • Calm Mind: Never actually encountered it, but Ponyta or Chinchou should do it.
  • Choice Scarf: See MixKrow, switch to Ponyta if you think he'll HP grass.
Drilbur:
  • All-out Attacker: Porygon OHKO with Ice Beam, though it can't switch in.
  • Swords Dance: See all-out attacker.
  • Mold Breaker: Porygon can OHKO again/Timburr can setup on it and recover lots HP with drain punch.
Snover:
  • Choice Scarf: Ponyta walls it to hell and beyond.
  • Leech Seed: Never actually encountered it, but sub Missy should do.
Magnemite:
  • Bulky Attacker: Ponyta/Drilbur/Missy/Timburr/Chinchou.
  • Choice Scarf: See Bulky attacker, except Drilbur has even more chance to succeed because there's no magnet rise.
Dwebble:
  • Spiker: Welp, 3HKO from Rock Slide of Drilbur through oran berry, spin the hazards afterwards.
  • Shell Smash: GOD, that thing is annoying. Ponyta can usually activate Sturdy and Oran berry, and be KOed, then Drilbur can take a hit and KO with Earthquake. But it takes at least one 'mon per battle, and can usually sweep my team.
Stunky:
  • Trapper: This thing can effectively trap Missy, but other than this, it's walled by my other team members.
  • Life Orb: Never actually encountered it, but OHKO with Ponyta's flare blitz or I can setup on him with Timburr.
Abra:
  • Special Sweeper: kinda annoying, though I can often get it out with Missy's shadow Ball + Timburr's Mach Punch.
  • Choice Scarf: Never actually encountered it, but bring chinchou in and 2HKO with scald.
  • Dual Screens: never actually encountered it, but seems kinda annoying. Though I can OHKO with Porygon/Ponyta/Misdreavus.
Diglett:
  • Life Orb: Mind Games against Sucker Punch with Misdreavus allow me to often setup a Nasty Plot on his face. Scarf Porygon's ice beam, Drilbur takes a hit and OHKO, Drain Punch from Timburr.
Shellder:
  • Choice Scarf: Yo dawg, I herd u liek BulkUp Timburr
  • Shell Smash: Whenever you see this thing, bring in Chinchou. It can take a Rock Blast and OHKO with discharge.
Houndour:
  • Eviolite: Timburr/Chinchou/Drilbur.
  • Mixed Attacker: I never encountered him, but Drilbur can OHKO him, though he can't switch-in. As a last option, I can sub with Misdreavus to prevent the sucker punch and OHKO with HP fighting.
  • Choice Scarf: Never actually encountered him, but I guess I can use Chinchou to OHKO with scald.
Munchlax:
  • Tank: Timburr threatens him out and can then bulk up. Drilbur can 2HKO him.
Clampearl:
  • Shell Smash: Any of my pokémons can hit hard enough to put it in KO range for Mach Punch.
Drifloon:
  • AcroFloon: Chinchou.
  • SubCM: Never actually encountered it, and seems pretty threatening. I don't know how I would defeat him...
Omanyte:
  • Shell Smash: All of my pokémons can weaken him enough for KO range of Mach Punch.
  • Spiker: OHKOed by Drain Punch - Earthquake - Discharge - +2 Shadow Ball.
Larvesta:
  • Eviolite: Drilbur can't switch-in, but OHKO with Rock Slide. Pretty weakened by Stealth Rock, enough for any of my attacks to OHKO him. Timburr can also setup on him and doesn't fear Flame Body.
  • Choice Scarf: Never actually encountered it, but Porygon can Tri-Attack to KO, or Chinchou can OHKO with scald.
Tailow:
  • Choice Scarf: Never actually encountered it, but Chinchou.
  • Guts: Ponyta or Misdreavus can tie, Porygon can OHKO, Timburr can risk a Mach Punch if it's weakened.
Timburr:
  • Bulk Up: Pretty hard for my team to beat, Misdreavus can try to weaken with shadow ball and then leave another team member to KO it.
Pawniard:
  • Swords Dance: Timburr
  • Choice Scarf: See SD
Dratini:
  • Offensive Dragon Dance: Never encountered Dratini, but I guess Ice Beam from Porygon OHKOes him. Ponyta is also bulky enough to take a +1 Outrage and attempt to Flame Body. Timburr can bulkup against him and OHKO with Drain Punch.
  • Marvel Scale: Again, never actually encountered it but Timburr can freely setup BulkUp and OHKO. Same for Misdreavus and Porygon, who can Ice Beam.
Tirtouga:
  • Shell Smash: Actually pretty hard to beat, I can break sturdy with one of my pokémons and OHKO with Mach Punch.
Vullaby:
  • Bulky Attacker: Never encountered it, but Porygon spamming ice beam/Chinchou.
  • Nasty Plot: Never encountered it, but chinchou/Porygon.
  • Choice Scarf: Never encountered it, but Chinchou can kill it, I guess.
Ponyta:
  • Eviolite: Chinchou walls it cold.
  • Choice Scarf: Same thing.
Elekid:
  • Physical Attacker: Drilbur can take an Ice Punch and OHKO with Earthquake. Same thing for Ponyta and Misdreavus.
Darumaka:
  • Choice: That thing once destroyed my team. And then I added Chinchou. Stopped in a pinch by Ponyta.
Meowth:
  • Physical Attacker: Ponyta/Timburr.
Porygon:
  • Choice Scarf: Timburr can KO it.
Exeggcute:
  • Substitute + Harvest: Ponyta OHKOes him, Misdreavus can setup on him.
  • Chlorophyll: Ponyta, again, OHKOes him.
Axew:
  • Dragon Dance: Ice Beam from Porygon/Setup with Bulkup on Timburr and OHKO.
Aron:
  • Rock Polish: Timburr's mach punch/Misdreavus can KO him if behind a sub with HP fighting.
  • Choice Band: Almost every single one of my pokémons can OHKO him.
Mantyke:
  • Swift Swim: Chinchou walls it cold.
  • Agility: See Swift Swim.
Archen:
  • Agility: Chinchou is bulky enough to KO with discharge, porygon can't really take a hit but can OHKO with Ice Beam if it's unboosted.
  • Choice Scarf: Welp, Chinchou. Missy if you predict an Earthquake.
Deino:
  • Choice Scarf: Porygon can speed tie and OHKO with Ice Beam, 2HKO with Mach Punch and OHKO with Drain Punch.
Joltik:
  • Choice Scarf: Chinchou, Ponyta if you predict an Energy Ball.
  • Agility: Misdreavus can weaken with Shadow Ball, And then KO from Chinchou's scald.
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks: Porygon can take a hit and KO through Sub with Tri Attack.
Solosis:
  • Trick Room: Never actually encountered him, but Porygon/Missy can OHKO with Shadow Ball.
Cranidos:
  • Choice Scarf: Timburr can Take a Head Smash and OHKO with Drain Punch.
  • Rock Polish: Again, Drain Punch/Mach punch from Timburr. Drilbur can take an earthquake and OHKO with Earthquake.
Doduo:
  • Choice Scarf: Chinchou walls it.
Machop:
  • Choice Scarf: Misdreavus switches on DynamicPunch, Timburr on predicted payback.
  • Guts: Timburr can setup Bulkup on its face and 2HKO with +1 Drain Punch. Misdreavus can also KO weakened Machop.
  • Bulk Up: Missy can setup sub on its bulk up, nasty plot and OHKO with Shadow Ball. Porygon can Revenge Kill weakened Machop with Tri Attack.
Natu:
  • Dual Screens: Missy/Porygon's Shadow Ball, Ponyta's Flare Blitz.
  • Special Choice: See Dual Screens.

LC Defensive Threats

Bronzor:
  • Tank: Drilbur can OHKO with Earthquake. Ponyta can also OHKO.
  • Oran Berry + Recycle: See tank.
Misdreavus:
  • Defensive: Timburr can switch on Will-O-Wisp and strike with a boosted Payback, my own missy can setup Nasty Plot on its weak shadow ball and 2HKO with mine.
Hippopotas:
  • Defensive: Porygon's Ice Beam inflicts ~70%, I can then Revenge Kill with Misdreavus. He's also setup bait for Missy if he doesn't have roar/whirlwind, as Misdreavus can Sub on his toxic and setup nasty plot on its face.
Murkrow:
  • Bulky Support: Chinchou can easily KO it.
  • Parafusion: Arguably the most annoying thing out there, still walled in a pinch by Chinchou but really annoying confuse ray.
Ferroseed:
  • Spiker: Ponyta destroy it, Missy and Timburr setup on its face.
Frillish:
  • Defensive: REALLY annoying, it even manage to survive +2 Missy's shadow ball. Chinchou can Paralyze him with Discharge and then KO him as he recovers.
Lileep:
  • Tank: Timburr bait, +2 Missy 2HKOes him. The only annoying thing about it is that it breaks Missy's subs with Giga Drain.
Tentacool:
  • Support: Drilbur OHKOes him, Chinchou kinda walls him, Missy can 2HKO him with +2 Shadow Ball.
Natu:
  • FeatherDance: Missy/Porygon, that's all I have to say.
Slowpoke:
  • Tank: Missy 2HKOes him with +2 shadow Ball, while Porygon can pick it off if it's weakened. Walled and KOed by Chinchou.
Koffing:
  • Pain Split: Drilbur 2HKOes him with Earthquake, Missy can try to KO him, so does Porygon.
  • RestTalk: See Pain Split.
Vullaby:
  • Defensive: Kinda annoying to face, Chinchou can 2HKO him but is weakened by Knock Off. Timburr setup bulkup on its face.
Wynaut:
  • OH NO, IT'S WYNAUT!: Missy sub on his Mirror Coat, shadow ball to 2HKO. It can actually beat most of my pokémons, but is really weakened by Porygon's trick.
Porygon:
  • Eviolite: One of the main reasons I chose Timburr over Mienfoo, his Thunder Wave actually helps me with Guts. 2HKOed by +2 Missy.
Cottonee:
  • SubSeed: REALLY annoying to face. Porygon can spam Ice Beam/Misdreavus can spam shadow ball, but it isn't the best option.
Shelmet:
  • Support: Welp, Missy/Porygon.

Thanks for looking at this RMT! ~Badr, alias Purplish

Importable
Binko (Timburr) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Kuzko (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 132 Def / 228 SDef / 60 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Discharge
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Lana (Ponyta) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Sunny Day
- Wild Charge

Sam (Porygon) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack
- Trick

Miku (Misdreavus) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Johnny (Drilbur) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

purpleish I know you by that in showdown so sorry if not here and there is no point it to have drilbur without hippo and have sandshrew too so probably put in a stall like lillup to have good resistances and wide coverage

apt-get

Umm, I hope you know that the Drilbur and the Sandshrew are in my threat list ._.

Drilbur also works fine as a spinner with its ability Mold Breaker, with its high attack stat and the coverage provided by SlideQuake, hitting Misdreavus and Bronzor by negating Levitate. His speed stat is also nice, at 17.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi, really nice team! Sunny Day Ponyta is a real cutie <3

As you said, the two biggest threats to your team are Misdreavus and Double Rush. All 3 are faster than your entire team, and are strong enough to leave quite a dent in your team as well. Moreover, Misdreavus--and somewhat Double Rush--are extremely common, so having those weaknesses is a real nuisance. As you said, Tirtouga is out of place; Drilbur is the one that uses Stealth Rock, Chinchou is your counter to Murkrow, and Tirtouga can't switch into Drilbur and Sandshrew, despite being able to 2HKO both with Aqua Jet. Therefore, I recommend using Choice Scarf Porygon > Tirtouga; with Trace and Choice Scarf Porygon outspeeds both Drilbur and Sandshrew in sand, and gets to smack them with Ice Beam or Tri Attack. Misdreavus is also checked by Shadow Ball, which leaves a huge mark on her. Trick is used to cripple set-up sweepers and walls that can often be extremely annoying, namely Lileep, Bronzor, Shelmet, and Chinchou.

Porygon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs: 236 SAtk / 196 Spd / 76 HP
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack
- Trick

Best of luck!

^err... you put eviolite as the item of choice...

I still think a Scarf Snover > Scarf Porygon, not sure why you dislike it, I've had good success with it. It's a great revenge killer and can deal with Sand teams very well.

apt-get

Thanks Furai, for the Porygon set! It's really much better than my actual one.

I also changed Mienfoo for Timburr, which I like better.

I also Completely revamped the OP, which I think is much better now. This may be the best OP i've ever made. ;w;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)