NU Golurk

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
"80 HP allows Golurk to take some hits that it could not when uninvested; for example, without the 80 HP EVs there is a possibility that a Huntail with 252 Atk EVs invested can KO it with a Waterfall; However, with these EVs, Golurk is guaranteed to survive"
I literally can't find a reason not to just run 252 speed on the banded set. Huntail is beyond irrelevant, and max speed allows it to outpace all this:
209 / Golurk, Cacturne
207 / Crustle
206 / Qwilfish, Articuno, Volbeat
196 / Mesprit, Arbok, Altaria
196 / Rhydon
192 / Feraligatr
190 / Your Golurk

also listen to FLCL, seriously :]
dpunch with stone edge and no guard is actually pretty good on the stealth rock set, i would give them a bigger mention.
At least give them a mention in Set details, that a no guard set can be used to mess with opposing SR leads, and force early switches.. etc

"80 HP allows Golurk to take some hits that it could not when uninvested; for example, without the 80 HP EVs there is a possibility that a Huntail with 252 Atk EVs invested can KO it with a Waterfall; However, with these EVs, Golurk is guaranteed to survive"
I literally can't find a reason not to just run 252 speed on the banded set. Huntail is beyond irrelevant, and max speed allows it to outpace all this:
209 / Golurk, Cacturne
207 / Crustle
206 / Qwilfish, Articuno, Volbeat
196 / Mesprit, Arbok, Altaria
196 / Rhydon
192 / Feraligatr
190 / Your Golurk

also listen to FLCL, seriously :]

At least give them a mention in Set details, that a no guard set can be used to mess with opposing SR leads, and force early switches.. etc
didnt read his message. implemented

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
"outspeed threats like Feraligatr, Mesprit"
make sure to specify that it's 0 speed gatr and 0 speed mesp that you outspeed.

This is definitely better than before, I still feel like it could use a bit of polishing up, but maybe that's just me being picky idk... nice work
[QC 1/3]

"outspeed threats like Feraligatr, Mesprit"
make sure to specify that it's 0 speed gatr and 0 speed mesp that you outspeed.

This is definitely better than before, I still feel like it could use a bit of polishing up, but maybe that's just me being picky idk... nice work
[QC 1/3]
thank you!

Ready for a second qc

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Choice Band set:
Set Details
========

• Max speed allows Golurk to outspeed threats like Feraligatr, Mesprit and Crustle (considered 0 speed EVs)
- 0 Speed Gatr and Mesprit are non-existant (refer to each analysis), and you made it seem like Crustle runs no speed (it always does) so you need to phrase it differently. You could say that max Speed allows Golurk to outrun positive natured Crustle, and also outruns all uninvested defensive Pokemon with base 85 Speed and below.

Stealth Rock set:
Set Details
========

• 248 HP EVs adds up to Golurk's impressive natural bulk

• However, a No Guard set can be used to mess with opposing SR leads, and forcing early switches.
  • 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs can be used to stop normal typed physical attackers such as Tauros, Bouffalant, Zangoose and Ursaring
- Just use 252 HP
- Mention No Guard + Dynamic Punch; it's what lets you trip up other leads
- Just say physically defensive spread with Impish

Choice Band set:

- 0 Speed Gatr and Mesprit are non-existant (refer to each analysis), and you made it seem like Crustle runs no speed (it always does) so you need to phrase it differently. You could say that max Speed allows Golurk to outrun positive natured Crustle, and also outruns all uninvested defensive Pokemon with base 85 Speed and below.

Stealth Rock set:

- Just use 252 HP
- Mention No Guard + Dynamic Punch; it's what lets you trip up other leads
- Just say physically defensive spread with Impish
implemented

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The SR set doesn't need 2 EV spreads, since the physically defensive spread is not a main spread. Edit: Politoed Oh yeah, unslash Impish too.

**Fast, Offensive Pokemon** Offensive Pokemon with high base stats that outspeed Golurk and have an advantage over it,such as Lilligant and Samurott, can quickly get rid of Golurk by killing it with their STAB attacks.
This makes no sense, high base stats are completely irrelevant if the Pokemon in question cannot take out Golurk and gets rekt by Golurk's powerful attacks (such as Archeops and Pyroar). Mention that only offensive Pokemon with super effective attacks (this was even stated in Overview) can take on Golurk effectively.

Do this, and QC 2/3.

Last edited:
The SR set doesn't need 2 EV spreads, since the physically defensive spread is not a main spread.

This makes no sense, high base stats are completely irrelevant if the Pokemon in question cannot take out Golurk and gets rekt by Golurk's powerful attacks (such as Archeops and Pyroar). Mention that only offensive Pokemon with super effective attacks (this was even stated in Overview) can take on Golurk effectively.

Do this, and QC 2/3.
done and ty

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • I don't feel like I'm getting much from this Overview other than "Golurk is a Ground / Ghost type that has x / x / x / x stats, and it learns x / x / x / x moves." I would much rather you focus more on its actual roles in the metagame: CB wallbreaker, offensive SRer / spinblocker, etc. It's fine to mention its stats and movepool and whatever, but only if you can directly relate it to its roles and effectiveness in the metagame. i.e. Don't just say "it has a base 124 Attack stat!" and just leave it at that; explain how its Attack (in tandem with its coverage) lets it do its job(s).
CB
  • You have Leftovers as the item .-.
  • Kinda nitpicky but EQ should be the first move listed, it's Lurk's strongest STAB and far, far more spammable.
  • Why are you mentioning the irrelevant Shedinja as a target for Shadow Punch? Replace it with like Mesprit or something
  • I'd really rather you not mention No Guard unless there's a single move mentioned that actually benefits from it
  • I wouldn't put so much emphasis on cleric support, since you're not leaving this thing in on burns anyway. Plus you're immune to paralysis and don't really mind Poison so it's not ~that~ important. Also replace Camerupt with a more relevant Fire-type
  • Spikes support is kinda nice since it's a spinblocker and a wallbreaker
  • I wouldn't mention Sawk. Their roles kinda overlap in that they're both CB wallbreakers. Gurdurr's probably a better choice for a Fighting-type partner since it can actually sweep late-game
SR
  • Give a bigger mention to Colbur Berry here. It's really useful for luring in Dark-types as well as providing a hard check to Zangoose, which is really hard to come by. Put it in SD.
  • Deslash Impish, the phys def spread is for Set Details only. Speaking of which you still need to add that :|
  • Usage Tips need a lot of work. You literally don't say anything other than "lead and set up rocks." Then what? Do you just die? This isn't a suicide lead, it's meant to last throughout the match--it serves as a strong attacker in addition to a bulky offensive SRer, and UT should reflect that.
  • Again, I don't think you have to specifically mention clerics. You should also mention better Dark resists than Throh and Slurpuff--the former is somewhat irrelevant while the latter can only switch in once due to Unburden.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No one except for random ladder scrubs use 0 Speed Feraligatr or 0 Speed Mesprit, so outspeeding them with the Choice Band set really doesn't matter. Here are some better spreads, especially relevant with Sticky Web, which is Choice Band Golurk's sandbox. I've also found the extra bulk really nice on Sticky Web teams because it's your spinblocker. Being able to take a hit or two as you switch into their spinner is really nice.

116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe hits 181 Speed and outruns everything up to Adamant Sawk under Sticky Web. This includes Adamant max Speed Feraligatr, Timid Samurott and Ludicolo, and Modest Magmortar as well. It also outruns Jolly Carracosta without Sticky Web. You can mention Adamant max Speed under Set Details, but I really feel that it's an inferior spread and almost always a waste of those extra EVs.

Don't even mention No Guard anywhere under CB. Dat Blast was saying "unless there's something it works with," but there's never a situation where No Guard will be better on Choice Band. Especially with its best Ghost STAB being Shadow Punch, you need Iron First. Plus, its best coverage is punching moves as well.

The first thing you should be mentioning in Team Options is Sticky Web support, as it's the most important support you could give Golurk.

Don't really care about Stealth Rock because I've only used Band this gen (because it's way better than SR).

Overview
  • I don't feel like I'm getting much from this Overview other than "Golurk is a Ground / Ghost type that has x / x / x / x stats, and it learns x / x / x / x moves." I would much rather you focus more on its actual roles in the metagame: CB wallbreaker, offensive SRer / spinblocker, etc. It's fine to mention its stats and movepool and whatever, but only if you can directly relate it to its roles and effectiveness in the metagame. i.e. Don't just say "it has a base 124 Attack stat!" and just leave it at that; explain how its Attack (in tandem with its coverage) lets it do its job(s).
CB
  • You have Leftovers as the item .-.
  • Kinda nitpicky but EQ should be the first move listed, it's Lurk's strongest STAB and far, far more spammable.
  • Why are you mentioning the irrelevant Shedinja as a target for Shadow Punch? Replace it with like Mesprit or something
  • I'd really rather you not mention No Guard unless there's a single move mentioned that actually benefits from it
  • I wouldn't put so much emphasis on cleric support, since you're not leaving this thing in on burns anyway. Plus you're immune to paralysis and don't really mind Poison so it's not ~that~ important. Also replace Camerupt with a more relevant Fire-type
  • Spikes support is kinda nice since it's a spinblocker and a wallbreaker
  • I wouldn't mention Sawk. Their roles kinda overlap in that they're both CB wallbreakers. Gurdurr's probably a better choice for a Fighting-type partner since it can actually sweep late-game
SR
  • Give a bigger mention to Colbur Berry here. It's really useful for luring in Dark-types as well as providing a hard check to Zangoose, which is really hard to come by. Put it in SD.
  • Deslash Impish, the phys def spread is for Set Details only. Speaking of which you still need to add that :|
  • Usage Tips need a lot of work. You literally don't say anything other than "lead and set up rocks." Then what? Do you just die? This isn't a suicide lead, it's meant to last throughout the match--it serves as a strong attacker in addition to a bulky offensive SRer, and UT should reflect that.
  • Again, I don't think you have to specifically mention clerics. You should also mention better Dark resists than Throh and Slurpuff--the former is somewhat irrelevant while the latter can only switch in once due to Unburden.
Implemented, i think

No one except for random ladder scrubs use 0 Speed Feraligatr or 0 Speed Mesprit, so outspeeding them with the Choice Band set really doesn't matter. Here are some better spreads, especially relevant with Sticky Web, which is Choice Band Golurk's sandbox. I've also found the extra bulk really nice on Sticky Web teams because it's your spinblocker. Being able to take a hit or two as you switch into their spinner is really nice.

116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe hits 181 Speed and outruns everything up to Adamant Sawk under Sticky Web. This includes Adamant max Speed Feraligatr, Timid Samurott and Ludicolo, and Modest Magmortar as well. It also outruns Jolly Carracosta without Sticky Web. You can mention Adamant max Speed under Set Details, but I really feel that it's an inferior spread and almost always a waste of those extra EVs.

Don't even mention No Guard anywhere under CB. Dat Blast was saying "unless there's something it works with," but there's never a situation where No Guard will be better on Choice Band. Especially with its best Ghost STAB being Shadow Punch, you need Iron First. Plus, its best coverage is punching moves as well.

The first thing you should be mentioning in Team Options is Sticky Web support, as it's the most important support you could give Golurk.

Don't really care about Stealth Rock because I've only used Band this gen (because it's way better than SR).
implemented.

Ready for third QC! Starting Garbodor after QC 3/3

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your overview still needs to be polished a lot. Don't tell us what Golurk has; tell us what it does. There's no point saying it has a high base Attack when anybody can easily find that out. The analysis is here to tell readers how to use Golurk and what Golurk does. Your job here is to explain how Golurk's positive traits help it to establish a niche, and not just list its positive traits.

In addition, some of your explanations for the coverage moves are a little odd. For example you say that Drain Punch helps it cover its Ice / Dark weakness, which isn't exactly true because you can already hit them with EQ. Drain Punch can be used for a bit of healing as well as being a decent in-between coverage move when using either Shadow Punch or EQ is risky -- for example, instead of trying to predict between hitting Probopass and Swellow, Drain Punch is a pretty safe option here.

Please expand on SR set Team Options a little more.

Checks and counters should be expanded to include more soft / hard checks. You should include Pokemon that can switch into EQ / Shadow Punch / both, but not the other coverage moves. Also, change status to burns, because Golurk doesn't really mind the other statuses apart from burn. You could also add Tangela to your list of physically bulky Pokemon.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In overview need to give a bigger mention to drain punch in the iron fist and elemental section
I still think the overview needs to be expanded a bit, both Dat Blast and
Small editing: need Choice Band over the ####
[Choice Band]
why is leftovers mentioned in set details?
Usage tips need to be expanded a bit, what move should I spam and when? What is the best move to use overall? Right now its jus telling me how I can switch in on Pokemon
Under team options give more water switch ins than Ludicolo, stuff like ferroseed or pokemon with water absorb can also switch in
Still saying Cleric support is super important, like Dat blast said its not like you are going to be leaving Golurk in against burns and it doesnt mind toxic, if you are going to mention it dont stress it as much, say something like Cleric support is nice to remove unwanted burns.
Under team options give some more spike setters than Garbador, mention something like Omastar or Crustle who can set up both rocks and spikes

[Stealth Rock]
Under moves you didnt mention Ice punch, but it is slashed on the set
"Since Golurk doesn't use moves on this set that can miss, is Iron Fist chosen over No Guard; besides, it powers up Golurk's punching moves." Just say that Iron Fist is used to boost Golurk's punching moves
"However, a F set with Dynamic Punch can be used to mess with opposing SR leads, and forcing early switches." what is an F set? If this is the reference to a No Guard set, make sure to also mention Stone Edge
Usage Tips still needs to be expanded, Golurk is ment to be used throughout the match like Hollywood said
Team options is still quite small, this also needs to be expanded out.
Also giving a huge mention to clerics here which makes it seem like it is absolutely necessary to have one, which it isnt, there is other stuff to switch into burns.

OO
Protect and Magic Coat under oo

C&C
change burn to Will-O-Wisp
Explain how some of the things need to be wary of Golurks coverage, under the last two

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • SR Lurk doesn't necessarily fill a "defensive" role. It's more of a bulky offensive role that can get up rocks and still hit hard thanks to its coverage and Attack, so I would reword that point.
  • The fifth point about Iron Fist can be removed since you already covered it in the first one more or less. Just toss in a mention of Iron Fist in the first bullet.
  • Mention alongside cons that it's not ~that~ bulky and lacks reliable recovery so it's not hard to overwhelm it with strong attackers. It's also weak to a ton of stuff.
CB
  • Little nitpick but you only need 136 Spe to beat out Costa / Sawk under Webs. The current spread is Speed creeping. Also, put the EQ bullet before the SPunch one.
  • Mesprit is Psychic-type, so change "Ghost-types" to something like "common Pokemon with Levitate" or w/e.
  • "Ice Punch do for example, instead of trying to predict between hitting Probopass and Swellow, does a decent amount of damage and gives good coverage against Grass Pokemon" ??? What is the prediction part there for? Just say Ice Punch hits Grasses and Flyings
  • You mention Lefties in Set Details .-.
  • There's no reason to state that switching in on Electrics lets you "spam" EQ given that they're never going to stay in. Note that you need to be wary of predicting certain switch-ins since this set is a bit prediction reliant
SR
  • Mention what SP hits on this set as well. Also that Fire Punch 2HKOes Ferroseed.
  • Mention what a physically defensive spread is useful for (Normal-types)
  • In Usage Tips mention it still hits pretty hard (obv not as strong as CB, but still pretty strong) which it can use to its advantage to get up rocks
  • How are Knock Off resists relevant to "needing the opportunity" to set up rocks ?_?
OO
  • Mention AV is bad also because it can't wallbreak so 4 attacks sets are far better with CB
  • Remove No Guard because it's already mentioned in the SR set. Also, your reasoning is off; it's mainly not used because it's unreliable and generally provides worse coverage overall (can't touch bulky Grasses)
  • Thunder Punch is pretty much specifically for Pelipper so mention that
  • Remove Colbur, it's already mentioned. You can mention Yache and Wacan though instead
C&C
  • Move WoW down a bit since most Wisp users (bar Weezing) don't really like switching in, so it's not the most reliable way of beating it. Also you need to list some actual users of the move
  • The last two things are too similar in terms of what's listed. It's fine to mention offensive checks, but both sections are listing Pokemon that can switch in and hit it SE. I'd rather mention all those in one section then make a separate section for just general hard-hitters like Magmortar, which can't switch in but can overwhelm it
Ok this is a ton of stuff but I actually think this is pretty good now, just needs a bit of fine-tuning. Tag me back when you're done with this and I'll look it over again :toast:

Done

Dat Blast

note; Wacan is completely unneccessary, weakens electric type moves and Golurk is immune to that. did you mean another type?
Thanks for the help by the way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)