Lower Tiers Good Cores in ORAS NU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I thought I'd post a pretty nifty core that I absolutely love using due to its defensive/offensive utility that it provides, so here goes...

+
+
/

AV Lanturn+Colbur Berry Def Mesprit is a great core that provides amazing support to other mons and easily helps lay the foundations of either a bulky offensive team or a balanced team. Slow volt-turn is a great with these mons, with only a few things stopping it completely, allowing for other team mates to be brought in after damage or on a prediction. The coverage type wise that the first two mons provide is pretty broad and their walling/defensive capabilities are pretty sweet ngl.
The last mon can be a toss up between either Rhydon or Chan, but I prefer Rhydon generally due to being able to take hit from things like Arch or Scyther pretty well.
Admittedly my EVs may be a bit weird, but it's just how it suits my team, however the sets are pretty standard/solid.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald/Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Energy Ball/Healing Wish

Silver Aurum

Hello there
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Overview:
This is a fun defensive/balanced core that I find I've been throwing on my teams quite often as of late so I thought I might as well post it. The core originated around Ferroseed, which provides hazards as well as a defensive pivot. From there I decided to add AV Lanturn as it does a good job of pressuring/switching into Xatu, as well as providing a nice fire resist and general special sponge for Ferroseed. I found myself quite weak to fighting types so I decided to add a fat Xatu. Xatu provides soft hazard control as well as a much needed fighting resist.

Tips:
This core is very slow and defensively oriented. It has nice defensive synergy which allows you to fill the rest of your slots with powerful and fast wallbreakers that benefit from the defensive pivots this core brings to the table. It also lacks an Ice resist outside of Lanturn which makes it susceptible to Freeze Dry and Abomasnow, keep this in mind when filling in the final 3 slots.

Sets:
Lanturn @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 SpA / 92 SpD / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump/Hidden Power Fire

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Soo,its near end of the month, so I decided to drop probably one of better defensive builds I made.

Sets:
Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb/Leech Seed
- Foul Play/Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 232 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Acid Spray/Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power Grass
- Fire Blast
- Defog

Description:
This defensive core is something Ive been using on a lot teams I made this month, it definitely leads into more balanced/semi stall direction and it takes on so many threats as gourgeist physical bulk is insane, its HP and Defense is so high and im still wondering why its still PU lol, Lanturn is Spdefensive wall and it takes all the Fire/Water hits for Gourgeist, its also a cleric and volt blocker,and it provides speed control with Thunderwave for team, Skuntank is a really good glue here doing many things for core, it takes hits from Poison types, special grass types (vileplume,cacturne,lilligant), its a ghost check for gourgeist and also a psychic check,moveset is pretty versatile as ill post some of the options here and you can change them depending on the team,and it absorbs toxic spikes while providing Defog support for team.

Tips:
Core is very defensive,so the rest of the team shouldnt be just random frail threats to make up for slow core,which is something i see on a lot builds, and altough its actually not that hard to build around this core, im just gonna put few short tips here, it pairs really well with stealth rocks users like Steelix/Regirock/rhydon as they tank on flying types and setup stealth rock to help wearing down opposing teams,it pretty much pairs with fire types as it creates a FWG core in team so pokemon like pyroar/9tales are nice, something speedy is also pretty useful to throw for team in general since core is pretty slow, and of course last but not least, Freeze-dry resist which is a pretty annoying move for lot of balance builds,but its not that hard to cover :)

Possible move variations:
If you have steelix to take on things like klinklang id always recommend Leech Seed>Foul Play as Will-o-wisp+Seed Bomb can alone take on majority of other threats, and leech seed is nice move to support defensive builds.
Skuntank second move is also decided depending on team,Acid spray helps teams that cant easily break through Audino/CM psychic types that easily and it should Always be used on teams like that, it also proved to be useful on so many games as it forces a lot of switches.
If you have Steelix then Acid Spray doesnt need to be on team, and sludge bomb just hits some of the grass types better, while its a good stab and has a high poison chance, while HP grass doesnt really allow things like barbaracle/DD rhydon to setup on it.

Last edited:
045.gif
297.gif
208.gif

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic / Roar

So this is a pretty effective balanced core I've been using lately that covers a lot of threats in the meta. I started with Vileplume because I had wanted to use it for a while and this seemed like a fun team to do that on. The spread is weird, I don't remember what exactly it does, but it outspeeds base 50s that creep a little (obviously you can creep more), it hits a jump point for SpA, and I think the weird HP and Defense spread is to survive something but I don't remember what. The more offensive spread is used since Steelix and Hariyama will take the brunt of most strong attackers, so the extra bulk isn't needed as much since Vileplume will mostly just be checking things. HP Fire is to kill Ferroseed, which can be annoying for this core, but Sleep Powder is a viable option. Vileplume being a grounded poison type is important for Hariyama, since the Toxic damage from Toxic Spikes can really wear it down. Hariyama covers Vileplume's weakness to powerful special attackers, especially Fire and Ice types, while Vileplume can check some powerful physical attackers Hariyama has issues with. Magmortar is an option in its place, but then the core has more trouble with special Abomasnow, and Vileplume already deals with Lilligant fairly well. Hariyama is also hindered less by hazards than Magmortar. Steelix was then added to set rocks and deal with Archeops, as well as be an extra normal check. Vileplume also deals with Fighting types decently for Steelix. Rotom is a problem for this core since no members like being worn down by burn, so Pyroar is a very good teammate that can also break some holes in the opponent's team. On the whole, this is a really solid balance core that deals with a lot of meta threats without being a total momentum drain.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

Basically, the idea here is that band aggron is an amazing hole puncher, who has a very small number of switchins, such as gastrodon, ferroseed, poliwrath, and torterra. Luckily, malamar is able to switch into most of those, and begin its sweep, which is generally stopped by signal beam psychics, scyther, and mega audino, which aggron can switch into, and easily KO.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Fire Punch

Last edited:

I figured since Sticky Web is actually decent now, I might as well share a pretty good core that I've good success with. The whole idea of this core is fairly straightforward: Smeargle sets up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock in the early stages of the match (most of the time its in the lead slot), Mismagius blocks Rapid Spin and Taunts any potential Defoggers, and Aggron is a slow wallbreaker that abuses the Speed drop from Sticky Web. Not a whole lot else to say other than that this core is fairly flexible in what it can run. Aggron is just given as example of a wallbreaker here. There's a number of other threats that can make great use of Sticky Web such as Life Orb Magmortar, Shiftry, and Samurott.
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Dark Void
- Skill Swap

Aggron @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Fire Punch

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Pain Split

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
Thanks for the cores, folks.
Been a little unactive with this core, but fixed the irl stuff I had to do and am back to updating this!
Carry on :)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold / Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power / Earthquake
- Toxic

A pretty cool balanced core based around supporting Bouffalant by using Skuntank to help Pursuit trap checks to Bouffalant, mainly Rotom and Mismagius, so Bouffalant can sweep a lot easier. Gastrodon lures in Grass-types like Lilligant for Bouffalant to set up on due to it's Sap Sipper ability, and it also checks threats such as Steelix and Rhydon (Also non-HP Grass Fire-types!) which can pose a problem to the core. Fast Pokemon helps this core out with it's slowness, so mons like Archeops and Charizard can fit in nicely with the more bulky parts of the core to help with their frailty. A Fighting check is also needed as none of the core wants to switch into Close Combats or Focus Blasts, so Pokemon such as Mesprit or Xatu can also partner up nicely. Overall just a really nice balanced core that helps support a Bouffalant sweep nicely if used right.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 88 HP / 124 Def / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore / Dark Void
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Sticky Web
- Skill Swap

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
The real Normal-spam core. Smeargle makes Sticky Web a somewhat okay archetype again as it can use Skill Swap and good prediction to fend off Xatu, idk how useful that will be once this set becomes standard but it does the job for now. The EV spread gives Smeargle optimal bulk (alternatively just chuck into Def, when is Smeargle ever going to take a relevant special attack) while Spore / Dark Void provide Sleep support and Stealth Rock / Spikes provide whichever hazard your team can't afford. Zangoose then comes in and cleans house once Webs are up, mostly being threatened by Flying-types and Levitators such as Charizard and Archeops, which get wrecked by Stealth Rock. Obviously pack this with a spinblocker (probably an offensive one like Rotom, Mismagius, Haunter, or even Gourgeist-Small) so that Webs don't get removed. Also why are Smeargle's and Zangoose's models the same size wtf.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earth Power
- Roost
- U-turn

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Moonlight

-This is a balanced core ive been using on many teams lately since its pretty versatile and fun. Basically archeops became a great pokemon again after sceptile got banned and I actually dont see it that much, but I think 140 atk+acrobatics is just amazing, coupled with its great speed and being able to clean games with ease, on the other hand Musharna is a great wall for balance, being able to check so much stuff with its great bulk and break through many teams with CM, they also work great together because archeops lures rock and steel types like steelix with Earth power which 2 ko-es it and allows musharna to setup easier, it also checks bug types like pinsir and Scyther which are big threats to mushy.
-Sets for this core arent limited, as you can experiment with both archeops and musharna depending on team, you can also go bulky archeops with 248 hp/8 atk/ 252 speed and jolly nature(earth power>earthquake despite the jolly nature) and Defog>U-turn , while Mushy can run Baton Pass/Heal Bell over Signal Beam if you have malamar check.
-Potential Partners: good edgequake check, special sweepers check(water,ice,fire),stealth rocker and a hazard control.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
+
OR

Musharna @ Leftovers/Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass/Signal Beam/Heal Bell
- Moonlight

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Pain Split

OR

Poliwrath @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam/Earthquake/Hidden Power Grass
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

-Theres no defensive Musharna cores so I thought id drop some, since its really versatile and reliable pokemon that I like a lot recently, it checks a lot of prominent threats and its a good win condition with recovery.
Even though Musharna + weezing/poliwrath is a Defensive core, it fits great on balanced teams since they together check lots of stuff and allow offensive pokemon to be other part of the team, Musharna checks normal/flying/psychic types since it beats all psychics 1v1 and top threats like archeops/tauros cant 2 KO it so it can pretty much setup vs a lot of pokemon. Musharna is threatened by steelix which can take any psyshock from it or Toxic it back, its also a setup bait for DD rhydon and scyther, and this is where Weezing comes in. Weezing is a great answer to those, and its immune to toxic, it beats malamar and shiftry 1v1 and allows musharna to run something else over signal beam and support the team with either heal bell/BP. On the other hand, poliwrath is also a great steel/Edgequake check, its a water immunity and can check kabutops/SD rott which can be huge threats vs balance. It also doesnt allow DD rhydon and shell smashers to run through your team if they manage to setup vs musharna. This core requires hazard control, ice/fire/ghost/ check (note:magmortar can be cool), stealth rocker, and some sort of speed control.
Leftovers and Baton Pass/Heal Bell on Musharna are ran if partner is weezing, and signal beam+Colbur with poliwrath, Ev spread is pretty standard and psyshock beats other psychic types with CM 1v1.
Poliwrath moveset is also changeable, Earthquake/Hidden power grass are really nice options over ice beam if you already have a good grass check, if hidden power grass confuses you it easily 2KO-es gastrodon which would otherwise wall leftovers poliwrath, it also hits lanturn which is more commonly seen with AV than leftovers now that gastrodon completely stops it :/

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
here are some fun cores I've been playing with the last couple of weeks

+

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Roost

An offensive core featuring Specs eggy, something that I think is lowkey hella good rn. Mainly because a lot of people don't think to prepare for it and a lot of its supposed flaws are rather overblown imo. That being said it does have its fair amount of shortcomings. its low speed and multiple weaknesses can make it pretty hard to bring in safely. Archeops makes a great partner for those two reasons as the combination of its high speed and power means that with a well timed u-turn, getting Exeggutor in to destroy something with specs leaf storm becomes a lot easier. The choice of Hidden Power on Eggy is mainly on what you prefer to hit. HP ground demolishes sp def skuntank with rocks up and the slightest bit of chip damage. HP fire mainly nails ferroseed which can be good for clearing the way for Archeops to sweep. Sleep Powder is filler for the most part but it's useful for getting a free switch.

+

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Baton Pass

Manectric @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Another offensive core, this time featuring LO Manectric and Floatzel. I consider these two pretty effective right now since they can beat down most balance and fatter builds rather easily by overwhelming the checks that these two share like Lanturn. Pretty easy core to use overall, a little prediction heavy but you'll usually only need to get one or two plays right to put yourself in a very commanding position during a game. Run HP grass on floatzel if you're paranoid of Gastrodon like I am, Otherwise Baton pass and taunt make acceptable substitutes.

+

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish / Trick
Anyone who talks to me on a regular basis knows how overrated I think Abomasnow is in NU. That being said, Its not THAT bad with healing wish support and because of that, i think specs mesprit is one the best partners for it. This duo performs well versus stall and balance since between the two of them, not many defensive mons stand up to their combination of moves. u-turn on specs mesprit is cool if you don't want to reveal you're running specs + free momentum is always nice. Healing wish is the ideal last slot for bringing a team member back to full health, but Trick has its merits as well. Pair these two with smth fast like Tauros for maximum effectiveness.

+
+

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Yawn / Clear Smog
- Recover

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Dragon Breath
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell / Knock Off
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
A defensive core that I've found useful on a stall team I made. The slug core of Gastrodon and Sliggoo cover a ton of ground defensively. Add a brainless fat mon like Audino and boom, you get a pretty stubborn trio to take down. Standard sets across the board, the Gastrodon can be optimized and/or tweaked to suit your needs. The spread above is not what I run but max defense is for the most part pretty reliable. Yawn is cool for forcing switches but its a bit more specific to the team I'm using it on. Clear smog is probably the better move to use if you're gonna try to build with this core. Standard rest talk sliggoo, again hp fire is pretty team specific so you can opt to run another coverage move if you wish. Sp def Audino ties up the core as a reliable wish passer and decent check to wall breakers like Aurorus and Abomasnow with Knock Off if you choose to run it over Heal Bell.

+
+

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Worry Seed

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

And finally here we have a balance core consisting of defensive carracosta, defensive vileplume, and AV guts hariyama, my favorite yama set atm. Not much to explain for this one, Carracosta is pretty cool since it checks Tauros and Archeops a bit more reliably than something like Rhydon. Vileplume covers costas weaknesses well and handles the ever annoying malamar with worry seed. Hariyama helps to lure in ghosts like rotom and mismagius since guts is activated by the will-o-wisp they commonly carry. If you use this I'd suggest a sturdy psychic check to go along with these three.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Grass Knot/Heat Wave
- Roost/Hidden Power Ground

-This is a core for offensive/bulky offensive hazard stack teams with Life orb Xatu/Helmet Garbodor, which I think really pairs well together since LO Xatu appreciates sturdy fighting resist/knock off switchin in Garbodor. What makes them good together is Xatu being a soft hazard control for team, while also beating/outspeeding/luring opposing hazard controls/spinners like hitmonchan,claydol,kabutops,shiftry, and even Skuntank since I like running HP Ground over roost for last slot because its a clean 2 KO, it also beats rhydon/steelix/golurk/aggron if some of them think can switch in for free. Garbodor appreciates all those gone so it can start weakening opposing teams with spikes for late game cleaners. Xatu is also somewhat soft psychic check since signal beam 2 Ko-es mesprit,grumpig,musharna before boost(also beats malamar), but team still requires secondary psychic check. Good partners include fire/water/ice check,ghost check(things like magmortar,offensive gastrodon,poliwrath,ninetales),psychic/normal resist , and late game cleaners that appreciates spikes support.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Leafeon @ Starf Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Natural Gift

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance / Megahorn

This is a pretty cool core for offensive / bulky offensive teams utilizing Swords Dance Starf Berry Natural Gift Leafeon with standard bulky tank Rhydon. Starf Berry Natural Gift Leafeon is a really cool lure for Poison-types like Garbodor and Weezing, who are otherwise really good switch-ins to Leafeon. This set also performs well against balanced teams as they usually can't handle +2 Grass/Dark/Psychic coverage coming from a decently fast Pokemon like Leafeon. Rhydon is a big help to Leafeon, being a generally good check to Flying- and Fire-types (It also checks Tauros, who can revenge kill a weakened Leafeon) while also setting up Stealth Rock for Leafeon, which is vital to get the chip damage needed for +2 Natural Gift to OHKO Vileplume, Weezing, and Garbodor. Rhydon can also act as a wallbreaker by using Swords Dance, helping to break down defensive Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Musharna to help Leafeon out in sweeping. However, Megahorn is still a good option for Rhydon's last moveslot if the team wants a Malamar check. Good partners to this core include better Water checks than Leafeon, who does NOT want to be burned on the switch-in by a Scald, a better Fire check than Rhydon (Lanturn/Hariyama comes to mind), and Fighting checks (Stuff like bulky Rotom or Mesprit come to mind).

Not invented by me and I'm honestly surprised no one posted about it yet, but this core has a fantastic type synergy and is very efficient at getting up hazards, leech seed ferro just makes camerupt a better switch-in to everything it would want to switch-in to such as fires and rotom, and spikes + roar rupt is very useful to wear down stuff. Camel by itself does a nice job of pressuring xatu but you still want something for that as it can annoy pretty much every hazard stacking core.
Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Last edited:

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

tbh, Golurk fits to every Psychic/Ghost types that doesnt like having to deal with opposing Dark/Ghost types, i just chose CM mesprit because i was using this core in one of my teams lately.
I fell in love with Golurk lately, because its one of the best Skuntank lures in general. Allthough colbur berry seems obvious on it, too many people stay in with their skuntank and try to taunt/pursuit/sucker it, while you just click EQ and kill it, which makes it easier for your Psychic Type to sweep. I've been also testing Shadow Punch on it, because Rotom is just everywhere and they even try to switch into Golurk, because who plays Shadow Punch these days. Dynamic Punch is just a strong move overall and then Rocks, because why not. You can also go for Stone Edge over Shadow Punch, it still hits Ghost pretty hard and also threatens Pelipper/Mantine, that try to switch in.
Fast CM Mesprit is also really strong, especially when Skuntank is gone. I've been also using a Colbur on it, just for safety, because everything nowadays has Knock Off.

We need more love for Golurk, remember BW2 NU when Golurk was rly rly good ;( In ORAS you only see it with a Scarf/Band, but I think its definitely one of the best offensive rocks setter in the tier

Golurk (Golurk) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Shadow Punch

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry/Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Signal Beam

Offensive Core
+

Samurott @

Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
------------------------------
Samurott @

Ability: Torrent
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Pyroar @

Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Grass
- Will-O-Wisp

Explanation~
PyroRott I call the Core times now, it is the new version of the famous PyroGatr scores before the latter was banned. Samurott Pyroar and break each other by just about every defensive nucleus in the animal which is now not specifically designed precisely to check this 2 Pokemon.
First you have to decide whether to opt for a physical or special Samurott variant. While the special is a super Wallbreaker, the SD version can clearen late game, especially with Pyroar on the side. I recommend trying both here, but you should opt for the special variant, a Pokémon can break the walls special Hariyama or Audino a need on the team!
Pyroar play with WildCharge to lure types of water to kill Mantine opposite especially the way for free Samurott. Rock Samurott contrast to land type and types as Seismitoad rid of Pyroar. It is essential to one of 2 Pokémon attack the plant, Seismitoad main reason is that prepares the underlying problems.
The Core plays super Barredoras with installation as calm Uxie / Mesprit / Musharna, Bulk Up Gurdurr mind or dance Quiver Lilligant Overall I recommend this core in the most offensive team. It works very well in combination with Turn Volt and emergency control, because the opponent has usually switchen much.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Soooooo no Articuno cores?
Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Substitute

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power / Earthquake
- Clear Smog / Toxic / Yawn / Counter

So basically, Articuno covers Gastrodon's one weakness extremely well which is Grass-types and pressures Marine and People which can switch into Gastrodon if it doesn't use status. In exchange Gastrodon is able to cover its Electric, Rock, Steel, and Fire (kind of) weaknesses. Gastrodon also can do many things for Cuno like stop Calm Mind users so Articuno can blast them easier, put a timer on a Pokemon so Articuno can SubRoost on them till they faint or switch out. Counter even has merit punishing physical attackers that may attempt to break Cuno's Subs (not to say Cuno' s Subs can only be broken by physical attackers but it can take special hits much better) Nifty balance core that is really hard that is hard to pass up when using Articuno on your team.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Or

Rotom @ Spell Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Simple offensive core containing Breaker+Pivot in which Rotom gives some usable type synergy and utility in either trick or wisp depending on its set while also providing Volt Switch giving Aggron the safe switch-in it always wants in a partner.

or

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Probably my favorite balance core to use in NU Piloswine provides some nice role compression with its access to Stealth Rock,Electric Immunity and Ice Shard (the best move ever) and creates an interesting core alongside Mantine or Pelipper both of which have a similar use with slight advantages (Mantines better special bulk+water imunnity/Pelippers Recovery+Pivot in U-Turn)

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Here's a cool core utilizing both an unusual playstyle, and one of our new drops.

Essentially, the idea is that trevenant can swap in to most of rhydon's checks (gastrodon/steelix/rhydon/poliwrath) with somewhat minimal risk, set up TR on a predicted switch, and then proceed to break through the opponent's team. Aggron can easily take advantage of the TR, and trevenant's wallbreaking, to make its job even easier.

revenant @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Aggron @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Optional alterations are to run horn leech over wood hammer, for more longevity, or alternatively, a different item choice such as meadow plate, or expert belt, though they can often give up the ability to self-deny trevenant, giving a free switchin, and a fair bit of power.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some cores that I've been using.

A defensive core in which Hariyama takes the Ice, Fire, and Dark type attacks aimed at Trev, while Steelix takes the Flying, Fairy, Psychic attacks aimed for Hariyama and Trev takes the Ground, Water and Fighting attacks aimed for Steelix. The only type that someone on this core is weak to is Ghost which is very easy to fix.

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Claw

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

EV's on Trev make it avoids the 2hko from +2 Samurott's Waterfall after SR.

Nice Stallbreaker core where Mismag and Klinklang beats each others counters while Hariyama takes all the hits like Fire, Dark and Ice attacks. And Klinklang beats all of Hariyama's weaknesses and Mismag is immune to Fighting and Ground.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Frustration

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Nothing special with the Ev's or sets

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Might be a little bit of a controversial core but is actually very solid.

A cool defensive core that covers all of the cores weaknesses. It also uses 2 quite underrated mons in Bronzor and Zweilous.
Fire- Zweilous
Grass- Weezing, Bronzor and Zweilous
Water- Zweilous
Normal- Bronzor
Dark- Zweilous
Fighting- Weezing
Bug- Weezing
Fairy- Bronzor and Weezing
Psychic- Zwielous and Bronzor
Dragon- Bronzor
Rock- Bronzor
Steel- Bronzor
Ground- Bronzer and Weezing
Electric- Zwielous
Ice- Bronzor
Flying- Bronzor
Poison- Bronzor and Weezing
Ghost- Zweilous

So this core has atleast one resist to each type. The weaknesses I can see so far is Focus Blast Magmortar, Mold Breaker Pinsir, NPSub Mismag, Specs Pyroar.

Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

The SpDef EV's on Bronzer lets it tank two Focus Blasts from Jynx, while the SpDef investment on Zweilous lets it tank 2 Hyper Voice's from LO Pyroar.

Last edited:
+

Offensive Core

I love this core, bcause with mismagius memento i can weaken the attack of my opponent and I can switch to Omastar to do shell smash and gg, it is a surprising and very good core that does not require much explanation

Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Shell Armor
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Memento

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
+

Offensive Core

I love this core, bcause with mismagius memento i can weaken the attack of my opponent and I can switch to Omastar to do shell smash and gg, it is a surprising and very good core that does not require much explanation
This is already a core
------
Also am going to update all the others, have been relatively busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)