Gotham Knights - My First Competitive Team

So I feel like I've been using this team long enough that it's safe to post them here. My friends showed me PS! a month or so ago and I decided to try my hand at making a team. Random battles were fun but didn't feel terribly personal. Strategy games have never been my forte, but I figured the diversity of RU would leave me with enough wiggle room. After quite a bit of tweeking and trial and error, I've got it so not only do I not lose every match, I sometimes win quite handily! :O

So without further ado...

Gotham Knights

Gotham Knights started when I got a Swagger/Foul Play Liepard in a random battle and swept fabulously.

But Mr. Moon, you say, not only is Liepard not in RU, it's terrible in it's own teir! Yes I know, but I loved Liepard in my Black playthrough and how was I suppoused to expect that real people are better than NPCs meant to be relatively easy to defeat? And besides, I really wanted it to work. So I started with a female Liepard named Selena and worked from there.

... It wasn't a very good team. Two NU pokemon, two Dark types and not much of a battle plan meant that I lost. A lot. It was painful. Still, I managed to hammer out the core of my team.

Um. Mr. Moon, that's still not a super-great core. Is that an Audino? You do know Audino is NU ri- SHUT UP AUDINO IS BETTER THAN CLEFAIRY AND DOESN'T LOOK NEARLY AS STUPID. IT'S BLOODY ADORABLE LOOK AT THOSE POOFY EARS AND THAT FLUFFY TAIL. >:T well okay but it's still not that great you do know that clefable is in this teir righ- SHUT UP I'LL GET TO IT.

Realizing after a few days that two Dark types is kind of not the best idea in the world, I (reluctantly) dropped Liepard in favour of a Sigilyph. But even with that improved line up I was still getting shut down by Steelix and the like. In addition, Polirath wasn't really pulling his weight, so I swapped him out for an Emboar. The final change came after Scyther got his poop wrecked by a barrage of Stealth Rocks. I needed, I realized, a Rapid Spinner. Out went Absol, in came Kabutops. This left me with the current team:

when the Bat's away, the rats come out to play

Pennyworth

"Sir, as loath as you might be to hear this, I do not intend to spend the rest of my life playing nurse."
Species: Shiny Audino
Ability: Regenerator
Held Item: Light Clay
Nature: Jolly
EVs: HP 252; Attack 4+; Special Attack -; Special Defense 271; Speed +
Moves:
Light Screen
Reflect
Return
Toxic

Alfred's duty in Wayne Manor is to ensure his charges are well-defended, well-looked-after and well-fed. This is his job on my team, as well. Since I removed the Batman stand-in Absol, some quirk of fate has left Pennyworth serving a rag-tag ensemble of villains. Life's a funny thing. Pennyworth acts as the first of my team to enter the field, throwing up a Reflect and a Light Screen and maybe throwing out some Toxic if tempo permits, before vanishing to let one of the offensive members of my team use his protection to battle in relative safety. He used to have Wish instead of Return, but after some battles that ended with him and one other team mate up and standing, I decided he needed to have at least one offensive move.

Bane

"You're garbage... and you're dead. Just like the Batman."
Species: Shiny Emboar
Ability: Blaze (at least until it'll let me use Reckless.)
Held Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
EVs: HP 252; Attack 252+; Special Attack -; Special Defense 4
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Head Smash
Brick Break
Wild Charge
Bane's job is to get out and do as much damage as he can as quickly as he can do it. He tends to damage himself as much as his opponents do, but thanks to Blaze even Resisted attacks have a good chance of doing serious damage. He's mostly a revenge killer, and I'm not shy about swapping him out. Once he's at 30% health or less, he's more useful as a late game bomb than a tank.

Joe Kerr

This is a violation of my civil rights! A man should be able to slaughter in peace!
Species: Shiny Scyther
Ability: Technician
Held Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
EVs: Attack 252; Special Attack -; Special Defense 4; Speed 252+
Moves:
Bug Bite
Aerial Ace
Swords Dance
Roost

Wanna hear a joke? A Bug type gets lost in the dark. His friends and family find him two days later in a thousand pieces in a giant pool of blood. His son's an orphan! Ahahahaha! I crack me up. Joe Kerr is a Scyther and Scyther do as Scythers does. He gets out, runs circles around everything and slashes them up with Technician boosted STABs. Sneaking in Roosts and and Swords Dances when he can makes him even more of a threat, able to absorb a fair share of damage and then returning it ten-fold. Stealth Rock is a major threat, but since he's a flier he just zooms right over Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

Cobblepot

"What impresses me most about me is that, given everything I went through, everything I overcame... I didn't just get back up. I didn't merely find my feet...I found something else, something I was great at."
Species: Sigilyph
Ability: Magic Guard
Held Item: Flame Orb
Nature: Calm
EVs: HP 252; Attack -; Special Attack 4; Special Defense 252+
Moves:
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Roost
Psycho Shift

Cobblepot here works best with a pair of screens to hide behind. Flame Orb + Magic Guard keeps him safe from Spore, Toxic and Thunder Wave, while Psycho Shift lets him throw a Burn effect onto his opponent. While said opponent is suffering and trying to get through Pennyworth's screens, Cobblepot spams Cosmic Power as long as he can before the screens fade and then sweeps everything but Dark and Ghost types all day long with Stored Power. My Little Pokemon: Stalling is Magic :D Also another flier, which is nice against spikes and such.

Pamela

"My sweet birds. You've long claimed to want to save the world. I'm just giving you the chance."
Species: Liligant
Ability: Own Tempo
Held Item: Big Root
Nature: Modest
EVs: Attack -; Special Attack 252+; Special Defense 4; Speed 252
Moves:
Hidden Power (Rock)
Giga Drain
Quiver Dance
Sleep Powder

Liligant might not cut a very intimidating figure, but since I picked her for my team I've learned never to count her out. With a Light Screen to hide behind and a Sleep Powder to buy some time to Quiver Dance, it doesn't take long for Pamela to become incredibly dangerous. Well timed Giga Drains boosted with her Big Root keep her at a high health, and her Hidden Power can protect her against even types that might put her in danger.

Waylon

"Ain'tcha heard? Crocodiles got real tough hide! But you... you got nowhere t'hide..."
Species: Shiny Kabutops
Ability: Battle Armour
Held Item: Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
EVs: Hitpoints 252; Attack 252+; Special Attack -; Special Defense 4
Moves:
Waterfall
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Rapid Spin

Man I wish Kabutops was Ground/Water instead of Rock/Water. He's probably the weakest link in my team, and definitely wouldn't be here if he weren't one of my two R.Spin options. His function is mostly to get out there, clean up the entry hazards and maybe do a bit of damage. Waylon's the only member of my team who hasn't single-handedly swept half a team+. In fact, I seem to have trouble keeping him alive - although that may be more poor judgment on my part.

Hi Mr Moon, welcome to Smogon ^_^ You've got a pretty cool team, and if it's all the same with you I'd like to offer a few suggestions to improve it.

Personally, I really don't consider Audino to be the best choice for your team. I don't believe your team really has much need for Dual Screens support, and at the moment it becomes set-up bait for a wide array of Pokemon, most notably Klinklang and Rock Polish Aggron, both of which can pretty handily sweep your team (though the former requires some prior damage on Emboar in order to do so). That in mind, I would consider Stealth Rock Druddigon over it. Druddigon offers your team a sturdy Stealth Rock user that maintains offensive presence, while also offering a more solid primary switch-in to Electric-types than Lilligant, who can quickly get worn down by repeated Volt Switches with Stealth Rock up.

Choice Scarf Emboar really appreciates the extra Speed a Jolly nature and a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe brings it. While the extra bulk is nice, several important Pokemon that Emboar should be realistically checking, such as Durant, Sceptile, and more, and generally is more useful than bulk in a Choice Scarf user. Moreover, I would definitely reccomend Sleep Talk over Brick Break, sleep moves are incredibly common in RU and Emboar is one of the best Pokemon to switch in common sleep inducers, meaning that your team will be able to lose very little from having to let a 'mon go to sleep. Brick Break, while being "safer" than Superpower, only begins to out-damage Superpower overall after several turns, which is unlikely considering the hit-and-run nature of the set.

Personally, I see very little merit in Leftovers on Scyther when he has access to Eviolite, which makes him significantly bulkier and therefore finds several more opportunities to set up and is less vulnerable to priority as a result. Moreover, and this is admittedly more of a preference than anything else, I would seriously look into U-Turn over Bug Bite. This allows Scyther to scout earlier in a match when its checks and counters are healthy, while STAB Aerial Ace allows it to stay in and sweep safely when the conditions are right. This also helps to better play around Steel-types such as Steelix and Klinklang, that currently are somewhat troublesome to your team if given free turns.

As your team stands, I feel as though a Life Orb Sigilyph would function better on your team over your current set. Cosmic Power Sigilyph is really something you should be building a team around as is, and all the Pokemon it checks are taken on handily by your current team. On the other hand, Life Orb Sigilyph gives your team a strong immediate attacker that can take on most common defensive Pokemon without getting worn down by Life Orb recoil thanks to Magic Guard. The ability to switch into Steelix (among other things) with impunity and threatening to KO it with Heat Wave is just another plus.

Minor nitpick, but I feel as though Life Orb better suits your Lilligant. Since Life Orb increases damage output by 30%, it offers the same enhanced recovery of Big Root while also getting important KO's on Pokemon such as Entei, Slowking, and more.

Not to sound repetitive, but I would also recommend Life Orb over Leftovers on Kabutops, as well as a spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe. With Scyther in the wings Kabutops needs to be as aggressively as possible about spinning hazards, and Life Orb helps to achieve important KO's on the various Ghost-types of the tier that attempt to block Rapid Spin. Adding to this, I would really suggest the use of Aqua Jet over Waterfall. Aside from being a really solid priority move in RU overall, Aqua Jet helps Kabutops check Pokemon such as Moltres while also improving its ability to take on Rotom, consistently OHKOing offensive variants after Stealth Rock damage with a Swords Dance boost.

--->

• Adamant ---> Jolly
  • 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD ---> 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  • Brick Break ---> Sleep Talk

• --->
  • Bug Bite ---> U-Turn (opt.)

• Cosmic Power ---> Life Orb Attacker

• --->

--->

Druddigon @ Leftovers | Rough Skin
Adamant | 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Stealth Rock | Outrage | Earthquake | Sucker Punch / Fire Punch

Sigilyph @ Life | Magic Guard
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Psyshock | Heat Wave | Energy Ball / Calm Mind | Roost

I hope some of my comments were of use to you, good luck in the future =)

col49 he doesnt have superpower on his emboar in the first place :>
that said i do agree with all of your changes, but give emboar the moves of: sleep talk, superpower, flare blitz and wild charge. brick break and head smash are kinda unneccessary for a scarf emboar

Oh whoops, misread Head Smash as Superpower
somehow .-.

Lol, sorry there, agreeing with Cherub on the Emboar set :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)