Original Thread and permission given by @Aragon the King

576 - Gothitelle

Psychic
Astral Body Pokémon
Base Stats
70 HP / 55 ATK / 95 DEF / 95 SPATK / 110 SPDEF / 65 SPD
Total: 490
Abilities

Frisk On switch-in, this Pokemon identifies the held items of all opposing Pokemon.
Competitive - This Pokemon's Sp. Atk is raised by 2 for each of its stats that is lowered by a foe.
Shadow Tag (Hidden) - Prevents adjacent foes from choosing to switch unless they also have this Ability.

Notable Moves
(Stab moves In BOLD blue)
  • Calm Mind
  • Charm
  • Dark Pulse (Transfer Only)
  • Energy Ball
  • Foul Play
  • Grass Knot
  • Heal Bell
  • Light Screen
  • Psychic
  • Psyshock
  • Reflect
  • Shadow Ball
  • Signal Beam
  • Taunt
  • Thunder Wave
  • Thunder Bolt
  • Trick
  • Trick Room
Fluff Text:

Starry skies thousands of light-years away are visible in the space distorted by their intense psychic power. They can predict the future from the placement and movement of the stars. They can see Trainers' life spans.

Analysis:

Long the despised bane of stall players everywhere, Gothitelle is arguably the most hated Pokemon in the tier and for good reason. Even with new threats in ORAS such as Mega Sableye and the rise of Scarf Tyranitar, she is arguably the most reliable trapper in OU and far from the underrated threat she was in early XY. Able to pick apart defensive and bulky cores with ease thanks to her rare and coveted ability in Shadow Tag, in addition to a decent movepool that includes Trick, short of Ghost-types and Shed Shell users, Gothitelle can be tailored to trap pretty much any Pokemon you desire while looking cute in the process. Anything from Ferrothorn, Venusuar, Skarmory to opposing bulky Psychics can be nuked with the right move and Choice Item. Even Chansey and bulky Fairies can be permanently crippled with trick if you cannot power through them. Basically nothing can break stall like Gothitelle and even outside this role she still has use in revenging the likes of Lopunny or depending on the team utilising support moves such as Trick Room and Heal Bell.

However she suffers numerous flaws including an extreme, sometimes exploitable reliance on Choice items to do her job and is therefore dead weight without them. Her Psychic typing is both a blessing and a curse which while letting her check Fighting-types as well as throw around a decent stab, but leaves her vulnerable to common Dark- and Bug-type moves such as Knock Off, Pursuit and U-turn. Her lack of speed even with a Scarf leaves her easily revenged and unable to beat many offensive Pokemon and even with coverage struggles against Darks.

MoveSets

Bulky Specs

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot

The more common and Tailorable of Gothitelles main sets. Equipped with Choice Specs, this Set takes advantage of Gothitelle's decent Bulk to let her come in safely on a variety of threats before OHKOing or 2HKOing with the right coverage move. Psychic is the preferred STAB gaining maximum benefit from Specs while Psyshock is an option to get past Calm Minders and specially defensive Pokemon. Hidden Power Fire beats steels such as Ferrothorn, though HP Ice is viable for Dragons and Gliscor. Thunderbolt nails Flying-types and bulky waters whilst energy ball nails Hippo and rotom. Finally shadow ball hits Psychics such as Jirachi and Mew.

88 Speed outpace's minimum speed Mega Scizor and relavant defensive pokemon as well as cover Hidden power fire. Special attack is maxed for largest maximum specs boost while the remaining EVs are dumped into bulk avoiding a 3hko from Seismic toss and an OHKO from Specs Keldeo Hydro pump at full health. You can creep speed up to 144 EVs to outpace 0 speed rest talk gyrados and Standard offensive venusuar or 208 to outpace crocune but doing so comes at the expense of bulk.

Literally Satan
Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Calm Mind / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest

This set is the reason why Goth is hated so much and as the name states is literally satan. Though it is harder to use then specs the results are often far more spectacular since when played right can completely destroy opposing Stall teams while putting in some work vs Offense. Acting as both a revenge killer and a means to cripple stall, the idea is to come in on something that cant harm her like Skarmory. Trick lock it and then either Rest-Stall it till the Choice-locked Pokemon dies or Calm mind till you can attempt to sweep. Alternatively Hidden Power Fire can let you revenge steels if you choose to forgo Calm mind for a more revenge orientated set.

80 HP Evs avoid 3hkos from Seismic Toss while the Timid nature and maxed out speed let her Outpace 120s such as Dugtrio and Tornadus-T. The rest is invested into special attack for maximum firepower.

Team Options:

Gothitelle benefits hugely from volt-turn-pass support as it lets the user scout for double switches, random knock off users and annoying shed shells before bringing her in safely for the kill. In addition she appreciates Pokemon that can deal with Dark-types such as Bisharp. Thus, Pokemon such as Lopunny, Scizor, Rotom, Manetric, Landorous-T and Victini make for great partners. In addition, Fairy-types like Clefable and Azumarill who appreciate goths ability to remove bulky steel- or poison-types make good partners, and in turn they deal with the Dark-types Gothitelle hates. Finally if you really want to be hated, partner her with Manaphy and watch stall melt, as Manaphy appreciates Gothitelle's ability to deal with Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn.

Checks and Counters:

The omnipresence of U-turn does Gothitelle no favours and pretty much anything with access to Pursuit can hard check Gothitelle if she cant power through their users. In addition, Dark-types in general such as Bisharp and Tyranitar check her while Bug-types such as Volcarona also win if Stealth Rock aren't up so having answers to these are a must.

Other Options:

Gothitelle can pull off a scarfed revenge set that utilise's tools such as foul play to finish set up sweepers such as Mega Gallade and Lati@s, though its usually outclassed by Choice Scarf Tyranitar. In addition she makes for a great trick room setter thanks to shadow tag though trickroom itself is highly niche. Finally move's like Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, and Charm have there use's on more utility orientated sets but are rather team depandant.

She can also use an expert belt set that feins choice and lures in would be revenge killers/set up mons but loses some stallbreaking capacity in the process and is generally inferior to choice/trick but is useful on select teams

Conclusion:

Overall despite her dark weakness and issues with move's like Knock off Gothitelle continues's to be a threat and a hated pokemon that see's players regularly reaching for shed shell's. Her flaws can be mitigated through Volt-Turn, and Baton pass support or fairy partners and regardless of stalls usage Gothitelle will always find something that can be trapped. Aregubly she is the best trapper in OU and will remain so for the immeadite future.

First OU thread guys please excuse any mistakes. Feel free to post and comment

Shout outs for 100th post
AM - Cool Mod, thanks for letting me do this thread
Aragorn the King - Original thread owner nice guy
DarkNostalgia - Great friend here on showdown, likes his dark types and hates my fairies
Teeny Victory - Downright awesome guy and friend
Klobb - Dont see you much anymore but your cool to
ThePack - Dont know you but good name lol
Ende - Another cool guy, Where have you gone
Ransei - Yes I did create chaos

Last edited:
Something that you mentioned but only touched on that I think is important is goths bulk. While everyone talks about its stallbreaking prowess, I found that it even worked decently against offensive mobs that can't muscle past it when I used it on literally most of my teams back in early/mid X&Y. Even though it isn't considered as viable anymore, I loved using it w/ DD megaTtar back when that was popular. It opened up major holes for Ttar to sweep through uninhibited. It also works well w/ mega Gyarados, which is usually thought to be better at breaking stall teams than offense, but w/ certain offensive checks that gothitelle loves to prey on out of the way, it becomes a force against any archetype.

also rest is viable you should put it there
you could add the bulky cm set without trick (rest cm psychic stab trick room/hp fighting) with more bulk, its pretty good, can gets free set up on many defensive pokemon.
on the literally satan set you should deslash hp fire since you stall out ferrothorns anyway and you ko won't scizor's. you might want to slash thunderbolt there as it enables you to bring skarmory to sturdy/ko it befere it roars you out.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll add a little more emphasis on goths bulk. She does in most cases possess enough bulk to take a nuetral hit atleast once before dieing letting her kill something or atleast blow a hole in a threat. Its this bulk that lets her revenge the likes of Keldeo and Lopunny. 2 pokemon that are known for being hard to check. Probably why she synergies well with Tar, Gyarados and bisharp because she takes out key threats to them. Not sure if i'll add them to partners but she does work well with them.

Rest is not just viable its key to one of her sets however there is little point in listing it since every pokemon bar wobbufeet gets it. Same with Hidden power, Sleep Talk and Toxic. As for your bulky Calm mind set. I'f i see a good replay or enough people vouch for it I'll add it to other options but for now even with shadow tag it seems outclassed by the other bulky calm minders and is definatly not on par with her 2 choice sets. Thanks for your post tho :)

Calm Mind isn't STAB lol, status moves are never STAB. Also mfw... you tagged me thrice lol
But good job on the thread fren :)
Thanks Nostalgia. Your that awesome you deserve 3 Tags.

Small nitpick: Torn-T is base 121, not 120.

Also, I think you should remove the important moves in red thing, if you're only going to highlight trick. It seems a bit pointless; you have the example sets to show what the important moves are.

Other than that, nice job.

Maybe in other options mention a non choice attacker set like this:
Gothitelle @ Expert Belt
EVs: 168 Hp / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire/ Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball

All the same moves as specs and far less exploitable after trapping a target. The moves are customizable based on your teams needs and in the last slot you could throw in taunt toxic or some other utility move.

The set you proposed atleast on paper does seem to work and would function as a means to lure would be checks and set up sweepers who may try to take advantage of a supposed choice lock, You could even slash foul play on that set. Like with the bulky set proposed earlier tho I'll wait to see general consensus but I do like the premise. :)

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Specs really should have Energy Ball slashed if not a main option in the last slot over Tbolt since it hits Hippowdon which has become a pretty popular wall as well as Rotom-W while still hitting mostly the same things as Tbolt, like, most of the stuff you miss out on without Tbolt (Talonflame, Tornadus, Mega Aero) you really shouldn't be trying to trap with Goth anyway, and Skarmory already gets bopped by HP Fire (if they're SDef then its not walling whatever Gothitelle is trying to support anyway). Also, 144 Spe is a pretty important benchmark for the standard offensive Mega Venusaur that you're missing and the bulk is almost never missed, in fact, I usually just run max speed, the extra speed is almost always more helpful than the extra bulk. Shadow Ball is also really meh, since it doesn't really beat what it's supposed to hit (SDef Jirachi isnt 2hkoed and Mew can Knock off your Specs and both are faster than you), I'd much rather just Trick them than giving up more valuable coverage. SBall is more suited for Other Options imo.

Adding energy Ball to the Specs set and removing Shadowball from 1 of the slash's. I'll also add the 144 speed benchmark. I kinda forget about offensive venusuar lol. Anyway Full speed is an option especially if you want to nail the likes of gliscor and rotom but I find the bulk important for dealing with the likes of keldeo and Lopunny whom are very hard to check. Again tho that all comes down to what you intend goth to actually trap and kill which is a huge advantage of the advatage of the specs set I find.

Anyway thanks for Additions and help

Last edited:
Hi peoples!!! Check it out, I got a great Gothitelle set for your guys! Now I know this set may have actually seen controversy throughout the past, or maybe its been well hidden for the most part, but there was one particular player I was spectating a long long time ago named Darude Sandstorm, and it worked wonders for me as it did for him/her.

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 212 HP / 216 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Trick
- Torment
- Psyshock

The main point of using this Gothitelle set is to wall special pokemon.
The steps are pretty simple. Switch in on a pokemon with 100% health. Use trick. Then torment. Rest until they struggle to death.
One tip I'd like to point out is if you rest when the foe struggles and its HP drops to 76% its a big advantage for you because it means the opponent prepared their pokemon for hazards, making it so the foe can drop to 1%. It gives you time to take back the choice scarf and finish off the foe!
Take a look for yourself! Skip to turn 76 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-230263578
I know Heatran missed those last two moves, but my Gothitelle would have still tanked it out.
The point of that was to show how you can get your scarf back and win 1 vs 1.
Another tip, if you're faster than the foe after giving it a scarf, you can use trick the turn the foe struggles, it'll still get recoiled.
You can see how I took back the choice scarf before Ferrothorn killed itself.
And yes, once again Keldeo missed a hydro pump, but it wouldnt have mattered because Gothitelle would also have tanked the hit.
252+ SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 216+ SpD Gothitelle: 136-162 (40.7 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Ok ok ok, maybe all those misses were very lucky, but for the most part it made it much simpler to watch 1 replay instead of multiple. I mean this set in particular was really only made to take down at least 1 pokemon, but with a major technique that needs to be looked in depth. There's obviously a good thing going on with this Gothitelle set don't ya think? Let me know what you guys think. I actually find it really viable, at least for those that know how to time the moves.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
This set is incredibly gimmicky, and it was rejected for a set on the main Gothitelle analysis when I asked. Rather than PP stalling a certain Pokemon to death, which by itself is gimmicky already, why don't you actually deal damage to it and take it down, just like the Choice Specs and Choice Scarf sets? Furthermore, this set is terrible against offense, as offense has many heavy hitters that can break through Gothitelle even when Tricked a Choice Scarf, or just outspeed it, unlike the Specs and Scarf sets; Specs traps + KOes easily because of its power, while Scarf traps + KOes weakened Pokemon + cripples defensive Pokemon. This set really has only one purpose: to humiliate stall. But when stall itself is on a rapid decline, and the aforementioned sets' terrible matchup against offense and a few balanced builds, unlike other stallbreakers such as Gliscor, my stance is that this set is... not viable. Not that it's bad, I'm sure you could humiliate some players with it though.

That said, Creator of Chaos Grass Knot > Energy Ball on Specs Gothitelle. Grass Knot is more useful than Energy Ball, and here's why: it gets the OHKO on Hippowdon (mixed defensive) after Stealth Rock 62.5% of the time, while Psychic is only a 2HKO (which matters because Hippowdon will not be switching into Gothitelle because of Shadow Tag, and 99% of the time Gothitelle will be the one switching INTO Hippowdon, so an OHKO>2HKO because the breathing space for the 2HKO let's Hippowdon deal damage to Gothitelle, set up Stealth Rock, Whirlwind it out etc.). In addition, Grass Knot OHKOes Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage, which Energy Ball does not accomplish. Grass Knot also does more damage than Energy Ball to Calm Mind Suicune, especially after a Calm Mind; Grass Knot has a 50% chance to 2HKO while Energy Ball is a guaranteed 3HKO. Grass Knot also deals more damage to both Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar; it 2HKOes Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, unlike Energy Ball, which only has a small chance to 2HKO. Now let's take a look at the primary targets of Energy Ball, along with others I mentioned already: Manaphy and Rotom-W. Both of them are actually 2HKOed by Psychic regardless; Energy Ball doesn't OHKO any of them.

I see, well at least I tried to help. I don't actually expect people to know how to use the set to the fullest anyhow. I don't know if you're being mean by saying it's extremely gimmicky, but I was just trying to be helpful to the community. Anyways I think it's better off in a RMT I suppose, I can really get in depth over there. Thanks for the opinion though.

@ボーイ as fun as Trick torment is (Trust me i've used it and its a hilarious rage inducer) I'm not gonna add it to the OP or other options for 2 reasons. Gimmicky as nostalgia explained and its slow to do its Job. Yes it can PP stall out certain threat but normal trick scarf can do it to while calm minding in the process and if your just gonna PP stall to kill the pokemon you may as well just use's specs goth and 2hko whatever threat needs killing and save time doing so.

Thanks for your contribution tho its appreaciated :P

Anyway Im gonna replace Energy ball with grass knot on the Specs set for the reasons nostalgia stated. Basically Grass knot hits every target you want to hit with a grass move harder then energy ball with the exception of Rotom who is still 2hkoed by psychic. Unless someone tells me otherwise Grass knot is getting the slash over energy ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)