ORAS OU Grass-Fire-Water Core Team

Was Team Aqua secretly involved in 9/11?

• Total voters

Hello smogon. This is the second team I've had rated here, and in my opinion the only good team I've ever built. This team is pretty balanced overall, and although I still need practice, I believe that this team can succeed. However, I do need suggestions and improvements for the team itself, as it's not perfect. Let's begin!

Mr. T (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk, 232 Spe, 24 Def
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Stone Edge

I usually use Landorus-T as an early-game scout, and it forms a nice VoltTurn core with Rotom-W. It also functions as a late game sweeper, and it can check some specific threats along the way. Earthquake is Landorus-T's physical Ground-type STAB move, hitting Pokemon that are not immune or resistant to it hard. U-turn is important to scout early-game and to keep offensive momentum, while also hitting Psychic-types such as Latios for super effective damage, who would otherwise threaten my Venusaur. I chose Superpower to hit Mega Gyarados and Tyranitar, as well as Air Balloon Heatran and Excadrill. I suppose it could be subsituted for Knock Off, (or Explosion), so let me know what you think. Stone Edge is very important to provide EdgeQuake coverage, nailing targets such as Thundurus, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir. The EVs and nature maximize Landorus-T's physically offensive potential while providing enough speed to outspeed Adamant Mega Charizard X after a Dragon Dance. I put the remaining EVs into physical defense, which is bolstered by Intimidate.

That Salad (Mega-Venusaur) (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis
-Leech Seed

Venusaur is the first member of my GFW core, and an amazing tank that can stall out a plethora of threats, especially bulky water types like Mega-Swampert, Suicine, and Rotom-W that all threaten Heatran. This set focuses on keeping it both healthy and threatening. Giga Drain is Venusaur's main STAB move and helps in keeping it healthy. Sludge Bomb is a good secondary STAB move that is mainly used to hit Flying- and Dragon-types on the switch to deal decent damage and potentially snag a poison, and it also hits most Fairy-types super effectively. Synthesis is Venusaur's other recovery move, and in a metagame no longer dominated by weather, it is perfectly viable. Leech Seed offers yet another method of recovery in addition to a decent phazing tool, and it also grants Venusaur the ability to stall out Chansey and Blissey, as well as Heatran. I could switch it to Sleep Powder, but the accuracy worries me. 16 Speed EVs are used in order to outrun Adamant Azumarill, and the rest is put into physical bulk.

Dr. Lava (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP, 216 SpD, 44 Spe
Calm Nature
-Lava Plume
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Roar

Heatran is the second part of my GFW core, punishing many annoying grass types that would set up on Rotom-W. Lava Plume is Heatran's primary STAB option with a useful burn chance to punish common switch-ins, especially physical attackers such as Azumarill and Landorus-T. Taunt is is crucial for Heatran to deal with Calm Mind Clefable and allows Heatran to wear down defensive Pokemon, such as Chansey, Mandibuzz, and Mega Venusaur. Roar is used to phaze setup sweepers, ensuring Heatran can deal with the likes of Mega Charizard X and Talonflame. Since Heatran boasts a good matchup against every common Defog user, including Latios, Latias, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, and Zapdos, I use it as my Stealth Rock setter. The given EVs allow Heatran to outrun Suicune, Mega Venusaur, and Mandibuzz if they are minimally invested in speed, which is useful with Taunt. The rest is put into special bulk to allow Heatran to more consistently check specially offensive threats such as Latios, Mega-Manectric, and Gengar.

Buddy (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Def, 8 SpD
Bold Nature
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Rotom-W completes the GFW core, and also composes the latter half of the VoltTurn core with Landorus-T. Volt Switch is Rotom-W's Electric STAB move that allows it to regain momentum after pivoting into a threat. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's secondary STAB that allows it to beat some of the Pokemon it checks, most notably Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Mamoswine, which are immune to Volt Switch. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-W to inflict burns on the foe and deter physical attackers. Pain Split is used for healing and when predicting a switch into a healthy opponent. The EVs maximize physical defense, and with Leftovers allow Rotom-W to take many non-super-effective hits on the physical side. Rotom-W also holds a lovely ability in Levitate, so I can comfortably switch into it from Heatran when expecting an Earthquake.

Andre (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Knock Off

Conkeldurr is awesome. He takes hard hits and hits back even harder, absorbs status and can actually benefit from it with Guts, and just looks badass. This Pokemon has won me entire matches. Drain Punch is Conkeldurr's main STAB move, providing 50% of the damage dealt as recovery. Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr priority and can be used to pick off weakened opponents. Ice Punch gives Conkeldurr excellent coverage against bulky Ground- and Flying-types such as Gliscor and Landorus-T, as well as Dragon-types such as Latios and Latias. Knock Off cripples any Pokemon, as none appreciate losing their item. Assault Vest is the item of choice as it raises Conkeldurr's Special Defense greatly, allowing it to take attacks from powerful special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y and Thundurus. An Adamant nature and maximum Attack investment allows Conkeldurr to hit hard with its great coverage. The rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense to maximize bulk and to get more out of the Assault Vest, allowing it to threaten specially offensive mons.

Li'l Nick (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf
-Roost

Latios acts as my primary cleanup sweeper, and he does the job remarkably well. Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest move, dealing great damage to Pokemon that don't resist it such as Thundurus and Slowbro, though if I have to stay in with Latios I tend to avoid this move. Psyshock allows Latios to threaten special walls such as Chansey and Assault Vest users such as Raikou, Tornadus-T, and Conkeldurr by hitting their weaker Defense stat. Surf allows Latios to deal with Steel-types such as Heatran and Skarmory, as well as Tyranitar, without resorting to Draco Meteor and immediately being forced to switch out. Roost is for added longevity, but could be switched with HP fire or Thunderbolt. The EVs maximize Latios's specially offensive potential, and a Timid nature allows it to outspeed or tie with its crowded base 110 speed tier.

So, yeah! That's my team. Please leave any suggestions you can, as it would greatly help me. One question I had was about the HP EVs on some of them. 248 HP vs 252? I'm not entirely sure how that works or if it matters, but anyway if you know for sure if one is better than the other then tell me.

Thanks!

-teamjolteon4ever

Attachments

Sylveon is cooler imo
Hey man, cool lookin' team!

I am a bit worried, however, about your lack of a defogger/spinnger, considering part of your team is a VoltTurn core. It seems like you could easily run Defog on Latios, though, as your team doesn't look too weak to any of the threats that you mentioned Surf being able to help against.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Solid Team you have there, but it could use some changes. Talonflame did 9/11

Major
Your team's biggest threat is Mega Gardevoir as every time it comes in it can OHKO/2HKO each of your mons, Heatran can tank up a Psyshock and Hyper Voice, but it can't take a coverage Focus Blast, making it able to sweep your team. The only thing that can take it down is Choice Scarf Lando-T, but it can't come in safely, without taking major damage.
Your team is quite slow, so I'm going to give it some speed. I would replace Conkeldurr with Keldeo, as it makes your team still have the G/F/W Core, and it can do major damage to most teams while Conkeldurr sometimes can't. This also checks/counters Mamoswine with its STAB moves and great tying. I'm going to suggest SubCM Keldeo as you have no Pokemon that can set up, and could potentially sweep.
If you do change Conk with Keldeo, I would also suggest changing Rotom-W into Raikou to make a fast Volt-Turn Core with Scarf Landorus-Therian. Talonflame isn't 100% of a threat as you have Heatran which walls it quite well, and if its slower Raikou can take it out easily. I'm going to suggest Assault Vest Raikou to give it some bulk in SpDef. With its great speed and special attack being able to outspeed Mega Gardevoir and hit it with a Shadow Ball.

Minor
I'm going suggest Earthquake on Latios over Surf and giving it Hasty Nature for coverage on taking down Heatran easier, as it lures it in by being able to resist its STAB moves (Psyshock and Draco Meteor), this will also help against opposing Bisharp that come on the switch in. Also give Latios Defog to remove field hazards which are a pain to deal with.
If you have taken my suggestions on Keldeo and Raikou, you lost your Knock Off user, Conkeldurr. So I would then give Lando-T Knock Off over Superpower, to gain control of making the opponent losing their items. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball

Last edited:
Sylveon is cooler imo
Hey man, cool lookin' team!

I am a bit worried, however, about your lack of a defogger/spinnger, considering part of your team is a VoltTurn core. It seems like you could easily run Defog on Latios, though, as your team doesn't look too weak to any of the threats that you mentioned Surf being able to help against.
Theoretically yes, however I'm running this for the purpose of an in-game team, and things like hidden abilities on legendaires and 4th gen exclusive moves (defog Lati@s) aren't really feasible for me. On showdown, sure what the hell.

Separately, I've never had much of a problem with hazards, as nothing here is super weak to rocks. Also, Surf on Latios has guaranteed me a handful of victories (Mega-Diancie). So I'll probably keep it for now. Thanks for the advice though

Solid Team you have there, but it could use some changes. Talonflame did 9/11

Major
Your team's biggest threat is Mega Gardevoir as every time it comes in it can OHKO/2HKO each of your mons, Heatran can tank up a Psyshock and Hyper Voice, but it can't take a coverage Focus Blast, making it able to sweep your team. The only thing that can take it down is Choice Scarf Lando-T, but it can't come in safely, without taking major damage.
Your team is quite slow, so I'm going to give it some speed. I would replace Conkeldurr with Keldeo, as it makes your team still have the G/F/W Core, and it can do major damage to most teams while Conkeldurr sometimes can't. This also checks/counters Mamoswine with its STAB moves and great tying. I'm going to suggest SubCM Keldeo as you have no Pokemon that can set up, and could potentially sweep.
If you do change Conk with Keldeo, I would also suggest changing Rotom-W into Raikou to make a fast Volt-Turn Core with Scarf Landorus-Therian. Talonflame isn't 100% of a threat as you have Heatran which walls it quite well, and if its slower Raikou can take it out easily. I'm going to suggest Assault Vest Raikou to give it some bulk in SpDef. With its great speed and special attack being able to outspeed Mega Gardevoir and hit it with a Shadow Ball.

Minor
I'm going suggest Earthquake on Latios over Surf and giving it Hasty Nature for coverage on taking down Heatran easier, as it lures it in by being able to resist its STAB moves (Psyshock and Draco Meteor), this will also help against opposing Bisharp that come on the switch in. Also give Latios Defog to remove field hazards which are a pain to deal with.
If you have taken my suggestions on Keldeo and Raikou, you lost your Knock Off user, Conkeldurr. So I would then give Lando-T Knock Off over Superpower, to gain control of making the opponent losing their items. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball
Hi! First of all thank you for taking the time to reply to me, it means a lot.
1. I've always been able to take care of mega-gardevoir. It's not extremely common, but it always just dies to an Earthquake from landorus-T.
2. Landorus-T and Latios are my only two sweepers, but that hasn't been much of a problem for me. Having Keldeo and Raikou doesn't seem practical for my team - Rotom-W basically does the job of both of them, and he's quite good at it.
3. I'll consider running EQ on Latios, but I can usually just OHKO or 2HKO Heatran with Surf, depending on whether it's specially defensive or not.
4. Even with Conkeldurr, I might just replace Superpower with Knock Off, as I'd rather be locked into that.

This is all subject to change once I explore the metagame a bit more, but I'll consider your input. Again, thanks for taking the time.

hey, cool team!

To answer your question on 252 HP vs. 248 HP

The reason people may opt for less investment is to make sure that hazards do the minimal amount of damage (especially for SR weak pokemon).

For example: a caterpie with 252 HP ev's will have 294 total hp so if it switches into SR 4 times it will faint on the 4th switch in because its hp is
perfectly divisible by 4. But! If that caterpie had 248 HP ev's its total HP would be 293 which does not divide evenly 4 ways so it can switch in
4 times and be left with 1 HP

This is especially important for pokemon like talonflame who would normally faint on the second switch in if rock are up but with uneven HP it can
switch in twice without fainting.

Also i think i read somewhere that you can get more leftovers recovery if your HP total is divisible by 16 so that might be worth it if your
pokemon don't mind hazards too much and want slightly more recovery instead.

I also think knock off > superpower on scarf landorus because as you mentioned above being locked into supepower basically gives you opponent easy switches/oppertunities to set up and i think that anything landorus can kill with superpower, conkeldurr can also take care of. But you might be able to
net some surprise KO's with landorus superpower so it might still be worth it in rare scenarios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)