Hail Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldnt be a question of rather Cryogonal is good or not but if it is an abuser or supports hail teams well. Cryogonal doesnt have the ice synergy that Claydol has as a spinner and despite being a good support Poke its spinning ability is questionable with a weakness to Stealth Rock. I dont see Blizzard hitting like a truck either considering with a neutral nature and no EV's he only reaches 226 Sp. Atk. 30 base power shouldnt really be to different and Cryogonal likes Ice beam for higher PP anyway.

Cryogonal's spinning ability is very good. I think a lot of people looked at Cryogonal and thought "weak to SR, not gonna work" (me included) but it has proven to be one of the best and most reliable spinners in the tier. Its bulk lets it switch in to most special attacks and Recover gives you a lot of confidence to use it as it doesn't have to be played conservatively (like Claydol or Blastoise) while its great offensive typing means it actually poses a threat to force switches and grab turns to spin or Recover. Levitate is an amazing ability for a spinner for obvious reasons and Cryogonal would not be nearly as effective if it didn't have it. As for its power, don't be fooled: a 120 BP move hits hard! The base power of moves is more influential on the amount of damage dealt than base stats; for example, assuming same EVs and nature, Tyranitar's Flamethrower hits harder than Latios' HP [Fire] despite Latios having much higher SpAtk.

Cryogonal got majorly overlooked when it came to spinning and I think people are only now realising its reliability as a spinner. It would be my top choice for a spinner once Blastoise goes, Hail or no Hail. It may share a bad typing with common Hail members but its reliability makes up for it.

Wouldn't Thick Fat Grumpig be a good supporter on a Hail team? Resisting those annoying Fire and Fighting moves, and being able to support with Toxic, Thunder Wave, Trick, Whirlwind or Heal Bell. Or just setting up with a bulky Calm Mind set, using Rest and Sleep Talk.

He could even be used against Hail teams thanks to its 110 base SpDef and Thick Fat resistance to Blizzard spam.

Cryogonal's spinning ability is very good. I think a lot of people looked at Cryogonal and thought "weak to SR, not gonna work" (me included) but it has proven to be one of the best and most reliable spinners in the tier. Its bulk lets it switch in to most special attacks and Recover gives you a lot of confidence to use it as it doesn't have to be played conservatively (like Claydol or Blastoise) while its great offensive typing means it actually poses a threat to force switches and grab turns to spin or Recover. Levitate is an amazing ability for a spinner for obvious reasons and Cryogonal would not be nearly as effective if it didn't have it. As for its power, don't be fooled: a 120 BP move hits hard! The base power of moves is more influential on the amount of damage dealt than base stats; for example, assuming same EVs and nature, Tyranitar's Flamethrower hits harder than Latios' HP [Fire] despite Latios having much higher SpAtk.

Cryogonal got majorly overlooked when it came to spinning and I think people are only now realising its reliability as a spinner. It would be my top choice for a spinner once Blastoise goes, Hail or no Hail. It may share a bad typing with common Hail members but its reliability makes up for it.
I pretty much agree with this. I've used cryogonal in the past as a spinner on a full stall team and it was pretty reliable. Granted, the SR weakness is annoying of course, but with instant 50% recovery and good offensive typing not many spinblocks available in current RU are going to like taking stab ice attacks (be it blizzard when on hail) coming off its respectable satk stat.

oint taken and Cryogonal was added as a supporter. Grumpig does resist Fire and Fighting but a lot of things do. Im not convinced of its viability having never used it myself so please contribute some logs/ calcs (Please everyone submit one of those things or I wont add it on). Sorry I havent made much progress but have been very busy lately and will be for a couple more days. It should be up soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)