Hail Room

Here is my second ever RMT on Smogon, I do believe my last was my Gen 5 Hail team. Looking at my first Pokémon on this team it may appear like there is a pattern here. At the end of the day, Abomasnow is one of my favorite Pokémon and I love Hail.

With Generation 6 we received Mega Evolutions and with them, my beloved Abomasnow received an upgrade. This glorious Pokémon is now one of the best Mixed Attackers in the game, IMO of course. As with any other Pokémon, it needs support, in this case, Trick Room. Without further ado.

Abomasnow (F) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EV: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SAtk
IV: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Protect

This here is the team leader. I went with the Ability Soundproof to provide him with some slight immunities on the switch in. Snow Warning activates upon Mega Evolution providing his much desired Hail. This also ensures no wasted turns. Blizzard is his primary STAB to be spammed. Wood Hammer is being used for a secondary STAB due to Giga Drain being illegal. Ice Shard is STAB priority to knock out weakened opponents and an attacking option if Trick Room isn't up. Protect is standard in VGC and almost mandatory of Abomasnow due to all of it's weaknesses.

Aromatisse (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EV: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Heal Pulse
- Protect
- Trick Room

My first Trick Room setter and cleric of the team. The EV spread maximizes the Def and HP to heal the most possible. Nature boosts Def while minimizing Spe. Aromatherapy cures all status effects of the team. The Ability provides immunity to Taunt so an attacking move isn't necessary. This was the first Trick Room setter I decided on but may sadly end up being the first I have to replace.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch / Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Assault Vest is being used as it's a great item for Conkeldurr and Life Orb / Leftovers are in other locations on the team. Iron Fist is being used to boost the two STAB attacks which provides more healing via Drain Punch. Guts is counter productive with Aromatherapy support. Mach Punch provides priority to net KO's and to provide an option outside of Trick Room. Rock Slide is used to hit Fire Types and Flying Types, especially to nail Charizard Y. Poison Jab is used to hit Fairies hard. Guts with Flame Orb have been suggested multiple times but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the awesome boost from Assault Vest.

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EV: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Trick Room

My second Trick Room setter. Life Orb to boost attacks while taking no damage from it. Psychic as STAB, good for Poison Types targeting Aromatisse. Shadow Ball provides good coverage and can hit Mega Gengar hard. I enjoy my Life Orb being here as it's hard for me to boost with LO without taking damage from it. Due to Magic Guard I can also open with Abomasnow and not take damage from Hail.

This is where my original team ended. I wanted to focus on 4 as you can only use 4 and fill the last slots afterwards. What makes the most sense to me is to fill the last two slots with another Trick Room setter and another Mega Evolution. These would be chosen if one TR setter or Abomasnow won't be good for the upcoming match up.

Slowbro (M) @ Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator / Oblivious
EV: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Surf / Scald
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Blizzard / Protect
- Trick Room

My back up Trick Room setter. I believe Item and Ability will differ based on which Trick Room setter is replaced for the match. Oblivious would help when replacing Aromatisse as I will still retain a Taunt immune setter. Regenerator could be used with Life Orb if Reuniclus is replaced. Surf will serve as the primary STAB although Scald could be used for single target hitting with a Burn chance. Fire Blast is used to provide coverage. Ice Beam could be used with Mega Mawile while Blizzard could be used with Mega Abomasnow. Other options could include Protect or Heal Pulse. I could go with a mono attacking set with Surf and run Heal Pulse and Protect on the same set.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EV: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SDef[/B]
Sassy Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Mawile is running duel STAB with Sucker Punch added for coverage. EV spread is to survive Flamethrower from Manectic and Fire Blast from Salamence. This is primarily my back up Mega, only to be used in situations where Abomasnow isn't going to do well. I understand many people like Mawile more than Abomasnow but this is still my back up. I chose Mawile as my back up Mega due to it's great typing and low Speed.

A final possibility for my team as it's been brought to my attention that I am horribly weak against Mega Gyarados Taunt. This is the only solution I could think of, adding it to my team wouldn't disappoint me as I quite like it. This is Pokémon #7 for anybody not counting so that should tell you I am not entirely sure about this or even where to put it. Not sure if it's a good primary replacement, secondary or should be disregarded altogether.

Meowstick (M) @ Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb / Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EV: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SDef
Bold Nature
- Fake Out / Psychic
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Trick Room

Prankster speedy Trick Room setter. I haven't personally tested this yet so I still haven't figured out what I want to do. Trick Room is mandatory. I thought of Fake Out to open with, Psychic as STAB. The fact that Meowstick is speedy on a Trick Room team is insignificant. Prankster takes care of any speed issues unless Meowstick is attacking, which is not something I see it doing unless it's the first move it's in play, Fake Out. Other options I thought of were Quick Guard / Protect. SafeSwag has been suggested but I don't know how good that will be. Thunder Wave I feel is counter productive due to the Speed drop.

Please tell me what you think. What changes should I make, what would be more effective, what do you like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)