Hail to the queen [Currently 1900]

About myself:
Hi, for those who don't know me (you probably don't anyway) I am a server and forum moderator on Pokemon Online. I ladder occasionally on PS, experimenting with different teams with varying degrees of success. I prefer to test teams on PS than on PO because the ladder is easier to climb here, and its more rewarding to reach a higher rank, therefore I choose to test teams on PS. (iirc within 50 matches you can reach 1800, unlike PO you will probably only be stuck at 1400) I have been playing competitively for 2 years now, and I am always looking out for interesting sets to use and frequently use anti-meta teams, mainly because they typically have a good matchup compared to the rest of the tier and can easily win me games.

About the team:
As the name of the team suggests, this is a hail team (in case you didn't get the pun, you get it now!) Mega Abomasnow is a really underrated pokemon that can actually check a huge amount of the tier with relative ease, except it requires some support for it to be able to function well. Mega Abomasnow's typing is a double-edged sword, while it does have 7 weaknesses, it does also have important resists to common attacking types such as Water and Ground. Mega Abomasnow also has relatively underrated bulk, being able to even take non-boosted super effective hits, and it also has the firepower to retaliate with even harder ones. Mega Abomasnow is definitely a really good pokemon that many often shove aside because of its weaknesses, but its strengths definitely outweight its weaknesses. I decided to build this team when user Kland showed me a pokemon team generator and there were hilarious results when I generated a hail team. I also met user Zamrock in a PO Tournament and both of us were using funny generated teams (although I cheated and replaced 4 pokemon and all of their movesets :3) This team currently has a 40-5 w/l record, 2 of the games lost because my opponent played better than I did (Aim and another user), and the other lose was because I am prone to getting haxed, especially on the high ladder. I previously laddered with a HO team up to 1400 before I switched and started to use this Hail team since the upper ladder isn't prepared to deal with Hail teams, and I also wanted to disrupt opposing Sand Offense teams which has been starting to get more usage. I am currently sitting at 1903, a decent score, and I hope you have as much fun as I did if you do intend to use this team!

Proof of ladder score (which isn't great, I'm sure I can get higher):

http://i.imgur.com/vq30hu9.png

Team at a glance:

Abomasnow-Mega (F) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
~ Blizzard
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Shard
~ Giga Drain
The corner stone of the team, Mega Abomasnow is a really potent threat in the tier that many players overlook when building their teams, leaving a huge gaping hole for Mega Abomasnow to take advantage of. Sure Mega Abomasnow is slow as fuck, but that only means it can combat Trick Room teams better.
That being said, 90/105/105 defenses are surprisingly solid, capable of tanking even non-boosted SE attacks. 132/132 dual attacking stats are also no joke, Blizzard soundly 2hkoes 252/0 Ferrothorn and Earthquake has a really good chance of 2hkoing Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. What I personally love best about Mega Abomasnow is that it disrupts sand teams really well, taking away their sand is a huge boon since their sand sweepers can no longer sweep my team easily. Furthermore, forcing them to take 6.25% extra chip damage can be surprisingly useful in the long run, even more so when they lack reliable recovery and leftovers. Mega Abomasnow in general is very underlooked and underrated, but it is a surprisingly good check to a good amount of the tier, especially being able to tank hits from dragons and 1hko them with a powerful Blizzard and even kill them off with Ice Shard if they are sufficiently weakened. Overall, its a really cool (haha) pokemon, so try it out!

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
~ Stealth Rock
~ Lava Plume
~ Protect
~ Roar
Most of the pokemon that threaten Abomasnow and in general hail teams are Mega Pinsir and Talonflame and other Stealth-rock weak pokemon. Obviously, Stealth Rock is mandatory on the team to limit the amount of damage that they can do to my team, and also to rack up extra passive damage which my team appreciates greatly. What I really love about Heatran on hail teams is that it takes on very well most of the threats that threaten hail teams greatly, and such examples are Talonflame and other fire-types. Protect is a wonderful scouting move that scouts for potentially dangerous moves, and also forcing the opponent to take a little bit of chip damage from Hail. Lava Plume serves as Heatran's STAB move, and its nifty burn chance can very well work in my favour if it gets a burn at the right time. Roar phazes away the opponent and racks up more SR damage, and also takes away the opponent's substitute if there is any, therefore wasting their 25% health. Overall Heatran forms part of the defensive backbone, and without it I would struggle to find a pokemon that could take fill in the weaknesses of the team. An option I may try would be Landorus-T over Heatran, but Heatran does have better natural overall bulk and is also a solid check to Lati@s, therefore I choose Heatran over Landorus-Therian as my Stealth Rock setter.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
~ Defog
~ Draco Meteor
~ Psyshock
~ Healing Wish
It is obvious that when running Abomasnow on the team, proper entry hazard control is needed for my team to function well. Specs Keldeo is a huge threat to any team, and can slice through hail teams with relative ease if there isn't a proper check to it. I chose Latias over Latios because of her better bulk which allows me to take hits better from Keldeo, and also still have enough power to do a significant chunk of damage. Healing Wish is also another move that differenciates Latias from Latios, as it revives back a near-dead pokemon back to full health, particularly useful for status-prone pokemon on my team such as Mega Abomasnow/Garchomp/Keldeo. If I find myself in a situation where I am pursuit-trapped by Tyranitar, I just healing wish off to either Garchomp or Keldeo if they are weakened and this gives them a free switch-in to hit something stupidly hard. Draco Meteor and Psyshock are obligatory moves, I don't think there is a need to explain a lot about them. Overall I am really pleased with Latias, since she fulfills her role as an offensive pivot and is also my hazard control of the team.

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Claw
~ Stone Edge
Every team requires a strong revenge-killer, and this team isn't any different. The remaining 3 members form an excellent offensive core with each other, capable of ripping open my opponent's defensive backbone with ease with the help of smart double switches. I chose Garchomp over any other scarfer because I really love how Garchomp is rarely deadweight even against stall teams, and still has the bulk to take hits from pokemon such as Talonflame. Garchomp's typing is fantastic offensively and defensively, offensively only Skarmory can really take on Garchomp (which is destroyed by pretty much every other member on the team), and defensively it serves as my secondary check to Aegislash. Its a standard moveset on Scarfchomp, not much to be said other than Stone Edge>Fire Blast because I really need to hit other flying-types such as Thundurus-I and Mandibuzz without resorting to Outrage and locking myself in, and Dragon Claw usually does pitiful damage.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
~ Hydro Pump
~ Secret Sword
~ Scald
~ Hidden Power [Flying]
One of the strongest wallbreakers in the tier, amazing dual-STAB coverage threatens most playstyles, especially sand teams. Keldeo may have picked up a fairy-weakness this gen, but with most of its counters ending up in the lower tiers and not receiving much usage in OU, and both Lati@s checked by Heatran and Abomasnow, there isn't really a lot that can take a hit from Keldeo. Hidden Power [Flying] is for Mega Venusaur, although I feel that I may be overpreparing for it and may opt for other another hidden power, probably Electric to deal with Gyarados better, or Ice for dragons.

Talonflame (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 168 Atk / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
Naughty Nature
~ Fire Blast
~ Brave Bird
~ Hidden Power [Ground]
~ Roost
Firstly this set isn't mine, it is emvee's! I was looking for a pokemon who could clear the runway for Garchomp or Keldeo to be my win condition, and I stumbled on one of emvee's videos which showcased Mixed Talonflame, with Fire Blast doing a huge chunk to Landorus-T and Mandibuzz, and Hidden Power [Ground] doing a significant chunk to Heatran so Garchomp can just spam Outrage late game. Talonflame also serves as my second revenge-killer in case Garchomp is unable to get the job done, priority Brave Bird is really great. Something I might try over Roost since Talonflame has paper-thin defenses and roost only saved me once, I might try Tailwind as a last-minute resort so that I can bring in Keldeo and proceed to obliterate teams with its boosted speed.

Importable:
http://pastebin.com/n0TMBq6k

Conclusion:
In general hail is still surprisingly good in the current metagame, and Mega Abomasnow functions as one of the best dragon checks in the tier. Like from the previous gen, Hail was a really anti-meta playstyle that few people used because of Abomasnow's crippling weaknesses. However, its new Mega forme gives it enough power and bulk to be able to survive in the hostile OU environment (I think I said many times already). Try out Hail, you won't be disappointed! Thank you so much for reading all the way to the end, and I hope to receive good feedback on the team, since its still a WIP!

Last edited:
Ohhh, scarfchomp. So Badass.

I like the team. Quite original, and seems powerful. Megabomasnow was one of the members of a trickroom team I made, so I actually like it.

That Talonflame set looks INCREDIBLY interesting. I must try it someday.

I'm out of time so, you know, can't put more stuff here. But the team looks really, really original. Just be careful though. Mamoswine beats half of the team.

I have yet to see Mamoswine up on the higher ladder tbh, and the majority of the Mamoswine I see run a sash set and just fodder it turn 1 just to set up Stealth Rock to cripple Talonflame and Mega Abomasnow. That being said, Mega Abomasnow is one of the better checks to it, Icicle Crash doesn't even 2hko it, meaning I can just Giga Drain away Mamoswine, or I can predict the incoming switch-in and destroy it with Mega Abomasnow's attacks.

Something I might try would be running Focus Punch over Earthquake on Mega Abomasnow, it would lure and immediately KO Tyranitar, thus giving my team a huge advantage since Excadrill and other sand-based teams can no longer take advantage of the sand. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give any constructive feedback on this!

Hey Draconinja, since I've faced you on the ladder with this team, i kinda know what some of the weaknesses are.

Problem 1:
Bisharp gives your team quite some problems. Knock off severely cripples your team and Abomasnow doesn't want to switch into an iron head anytime soon. Keldeo does resist both of its stab but losing its specs reduces its power significantly. Not to mention it can come in on a defog and snag that free boost. So you either prevent rocks and give it a +2, or just leave rocks on your field which hurts a lot of your team.

Problem 2:
You did say your team was weak to fly-spam and you added Heatran but that usually isn't enough to stop them. Pinsir can come in on either Keldeo, Abamnasnow(If it has enough health to live an ice shard), and Heatran(EQ), and procede to dismantle one of your team members. Ensuring stealth rocks are up is probably your best hope to stop them or revenge with talonflame.

Problem 3:
Mamoswine is usually a suicide lead in the higher ladder, but any good player would notice the amount of sheer damage it does to you team and would try and preserve till the end of the game. EdgeQuake coverage and Icicle crash can hurt a lot and some mamoswines are also LO. Nonetheless, Stone edge on sash mamo isn't common so it should be to much of a problem but still something you should watch out for.

I have to think of some solutions for these problems and will get back to you soon. Great Job on the Peak and hope to see you on the ladder again!:mad:

Hey Draconinja, since I've faced you on the ladder with this team, i kinda know what some of the weaknesses are.

Problem 1:
Bisharp gives your team quite some problems. Knock off severely cripples your team and Abomasnow doesn't want to switch into an iron head anytime soon. Keldeo does resist both of its stab but losing its specs reduces its power significantly. Not to mention it can come in on a defog and snag that free boost. So you either prevent rocks and give it a +2, or just leave rocks on your field which hurts a lot of your team.

Problem 2:
You did say your team was weak to fly-spam and you added Heatran but that usually isn't enough to stop them. Pinsir can come in on either Keldeo, Abamnasnow(If it has enough health to live an ice shard), and Heatran(EQ), and procede to dismantle one of your team members. Ensuring stealth rocks are up is probably your best hope to stop them or revenge with talonflame.

Problem 3:
Mamoswine is usually a suicide lead in the higher ladder, but any good player would notice the amount of sheer damage it does to you team and would try and preserve till the end of the game. EdgeQuake coverage and Icicle crash can hurt a lot and some mamoswines are also LO. Nonetheless, Stone edge on sash mamo isn't common so it should be to much of a problem but still something you should watch out for.

I have to think of some solutions for these problems and will get back to you soon. Great Job on the Peak and hope to see you on the ladder again!:mad:

About Bisharp, Heatran can actually take a Knock Off and kill it with Lava Plume, but yes Keldeo would be the better check. Firstly this team survives solely because it has a solid check to everything. With Offensive pressure, any set-up sweeper is actually very hard-pressed to set up anything vs my team because none of the members are really set-up bait. Bisharp sure can switch into Latias, but Latias can Healing Wish off and have a a free switch-in into a full health Keldeo, and the opponent will be hard-pressed to not lose 1 pokemon at the bare minimum.

The only flying-spam teams I've really seen are Talonflame+Mega Pinsir, the former being handled by Heatran, the latter is easily checked by Garchomp and Talonflame. As said earlier, I can't counter the majority of the metagame, but I have at least 2 checks to most of the pokemon in the tier, and coupled with offensive presence a lot of offensive threats can't run through the team as easy as many think it can. Stone Edge is actually kind of bad on Mamoswine since Ice/Ground coverage provides the coverage that Mamoswine needs to hit the tier with, idk why anyone wants to run Stone Edge on Mamoswine. Keldeo also checks Mamoswine really well. If it happens to be choiced, scout the move and play accordingly. How I use the team is really playing around the pokemon that especially threaten the team, make sure they can't do too much damage and weaken it or outright KO it. Based on the team preview know which pokemon is the most threatening to the opponent's team so you can keep it for lategame and win, and also know which pokemon on the opponent's team can be easily dealt with and those that require something to be checked. If you must sack something, sack the most expendable member of the team, don't sack the pokemon with the least health if it can still be very useful later since you always have Latias' Healing Wish to give it a second life. Thanks for the rate though!

Hey :) Nice to see someone else having success with Hail. Your team's offensive synergy is pretty good (love the mixed Talon), but there are a few defensive holes which need patching up.

M-Pinsir is probably the biggest threat. It can't sweep, but it can force you to sacrifice virtually every times it manages to come in. It can't set up, but if its used on a halfway bulky team, it won't need to to secure the win. Bulky Zard-X is also annoying, again not because it can sweep, but because nothing on your team can switch in safely. The common stall variant (WoW / Dragon Claw / Earthquake) in particular is problematic because again you just don't have safe switches (although I appreciate it struggles to come in safely against anything except Heatran).

Other stuff... I'm pretty sure CM Clefable always beats you, because they can just sac 5 team members to prevent Tran from Roaring and then sweep. ESpeed DDNite is difficult because you don't have a dedicated physical wall, and both your priority users are SR weak, meaning it doesn't take much to put them in ESpeed range. Chomp helps of course, although again it can't switch safely. Finally, Mamoswine can come in fairly regularly and again, no safe switches.

Probably the best solution I can think of without changing 3+ members is Rhyperior > Heatran. Rhyperior handles Zard-X, M-Pinsir, DDNite and so on extremely comfortably (+1 Zard-X can't even 2HKO it), can still provide SR, and fits better with your theme of constant offensive pressure. It also reduces the Mamoswine weakness slightly, since LO Mamo does around 60% with EQ. The CM Clefable weakness remains, so it might be worth trying CB or Taunt Talonflame to deal with that (or even CB Entei, which performs very similarly with Sacred Fire / Extremespeed / Bulldoze).

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Impish, 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch / Dragon Tail / Swords Dance

I understand LO on Latias is for more power but with the constant switching into it and probably taking rocks damage, hail damage, LO damage, and possibly attacks from the other pokemon how long does Latias last really? I feel like leftovers would be a more effective item to give Latias more longevity.

Clair

Rhyperior looks really neat, I'll try it out. However it opens up a larger ice-weakness, so I guess its something I will have to play around.

Imitatia

Yeah feel free to make changes to the team yourself. I'll see if 56Atk works but tbh Heatran would be so badly crippled when it gets hit by a EQ to the point where it can't even function and do its job as a Stealth Rock setter properly to the point where Latias can easily come in, defog away hazards, and anything from the team can kill it.

Psychological

Mmm yeah I really love the power LO Latias provides but most of my matches end within 30 turns anyway so leftovers rarely comes in very handy for me. But something I would try out and see if it works, thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the rates everyone :]

NinjaWithLightsaber

Oh yea too lazy to reduce the ivs, thanks for pointing that out!

Also,

CM Reuniclus ---> Latias
Physically Defensive Zapdos ---> Talonflame

This would really help out vs fighting-types with Knock Off (especially conk you really have to play around it)
Reuniclus also gives me another answer to Chansey by setting up CMs, while Zapdos is now the one providing Defog support. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
yeah i think those replaces are good, except that u lose a good priority attacker. Actually that Talon's spread doesn't outspeed jolly mega Pinsir, if u let that beast setup then u probably gonna sacrifice something. But Scarf Chomp can revenge kill many thing that Talon can, and is the best clean-up i believe so you should be fine :)
i hate using a 4x sr weakness without a Knock-Off user in team, because of the f*cking red card Deoxys.

btw, i'm another member of PO :) too bad there aren't many RMT in the Forum by now :(

NinjaWithLightsaber

Oh yea too lazy to reduce the ivs, thanks for pointing that out!

Also,

CM Reuniclus ---> Latias
Physically Defensive Zapdos ---> Talonflame

This would really help out vs fighting-types with Knock Off (especially conk you really have to play around it)
Reuniclus also gives me another answer to Chansey by setting up CMs, while Zapdos is now the one providing Defog support. Thoughts on this?
Zapdos really helps you with your M-Pinsir weakness, although Fairies, particularly Clefable, stil gives you problems, as Clair said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)