(HailRoom) First Competitive Team

Introduction

Hello Smogon. I started playing Pokemon way back when Blue came out, and after Gold I stopped. Jumping on the X bandwagon, I've been trying to get an actual competitive team together, but of course the learning curve of EVs, IVs, natures, many, many new moves, and many, many new threats is a little hard to get over, but after lots of research I think I've got something.
Here's the team at a glance:

I was always fascinated with Trick Room when I heard about it, so I decided to try to give it a shot. I also wanted a weather condition of some sort to try out those affects and how it can affect abilities. However, it turned to just using Hail to discourage stalling and taking away the effects of the popular Charizard-Y. I needed high power for the team, because with Trick Room only lasting 5 turns and being such a hassle to set up, I want to only have to set it up once, possibly twice per match.

█ = edit

Analysis

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
~ Blizzard
~ Giga Drain
~ Ice Shard
~ Protect

Abomasnow is here to start some hail mostly, and Blizzard-sweep. The Focus Sash is essential for times when an opponent pulls a Fire-type move out of nowhere and catches me by surprise, and it ensures that I can get at least one attack to possibly KO an opponent. In addition, if Trick Room successfully goes up and opponents are weak to it, I can continue Blizzard sweeping with 1 HP. Quiet nature to pull even more away from Speed and add to the Special Attack.
  1. Blizzard is the spread STAB move to use, which hits 100% of the time in Hail.
  2. Giga Drain is to help the longevity of Abomasnow, and as a grass STAB move can be helpful against the occasional Water type.
  3. Ice Shard is a nice STAB priority move for times when Trick Room may not go up.
  4. Protect is for the occasional needed stalling when Trick Room isn't up and to scout possible moves at the beginning of the match.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
~ Trick Room
~ Recover
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball

Reuniclus is helpful because of his immunity to both Life Orb recoil as well as Hail, so it usually comes out with Abomasnow in the beginning of the match. The EV spread helps to add physical bulk that only HP EVs wouldn't provide, and add as much as possible to the Special Attack. Quiet Nature once again to take from Speed and add to Special Attack.
  1. Trick Room because Trick Room team.
  2. Recover is to provide some needed longevity to Reuniclus.
  3. Focus Blast is quite the powerful move, especially more-so boosted with Life Orb. It's main purpose is to take out the Steel types that can completely wall most of the entire team.
  4. Shadow ball is for the now very common Ghosts such as Trevenant and Gourgeist.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
~ Play Rough
~ Sucker Punch
~ Iron Head
~ Substitute

Mawile is the chosen Mega for this team. A low natural speed and a classic sweeper for Trick Room teams made it my choice. Adding the Huge Power ability once Mawile reaches its final form pushes its base attack to 210, very formidable for a Trick Room sweeper. Intimidate is used to lower punching power from opponents, and Hyper Cutter is unnecessary because I don't usually lead with Mawile.
  1. Play Rough is the STAB for this one, helping get rid of mostly dragons and the average opponent.
  2. Sucker Punch is used for priority to try to kill anything that may be trying to KO my setters right out of the gates.
  3. Iron Head is a STAB useful for any opposing Ice types, and with a chance to make opponents flinch, will help in a variety of situations.
  4. Substitute is used to counter people trying to put down status' like paralyze that will help in the room, but will cripple my potential to make use of each turn, and burns that will definitely stop Mawile from Sweeping.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SDef
Relaxed Nature
~ Leech Seed
~ Protect
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is quite the interesting one. With such a huge bulk, but yet another fire weakness to the team, it was a difficult decision, but it does its job as a special wall quite well, resisting a majority of the current meta-game. EVs are chosen to give some additional bulk on top of HP.
  1. Leech Seed to add some constant healing to Ferro, so he can stay as active as long as possible.
  2. Protect here is to stall a little bit in case a threat needs to be taken out, such as a dreaded Fire type.
  3. Power Whip is a great STAB for any water types, and has helped rid the field of waters and rocks if Abomasnow has been KO'ed already.
  4. Gyro Ball is extremely helpful against teams that try to fun speed, and against Fairy walls like Chansey and Blissey that have capabilities to wall the entire team.

Slowpoke @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 156 SAtk / 108 SDef
Quiet Nature
~ Trick Room
~ Scald
~ Psychic
~ Protect

Slowpoke is a nice choice for the team because, well the word slow is in his name, so that's nice. He's a Trick Room user who can also do something against the Fire types that are super-effective against 4 team members. The EVs were chosen to help the special stats and provide some attack power for its STABs, and really SDef are the most likely to try to attack Slowpoke. Sitrus Berry is to add a little buff to Slowpoke in case he takes too maany hits at once.
  1. Trick Room because Trick Room team
  2. Scald is used as a STAB and also has the burn capability to slow down opposing sweepers I may encounter.
  3. Psychic is a second STAB to help with the Fighting types that half the team has a problem with.
  4. Finally Protect is to be safe in case it has to cast Trick Room and is waiting for its partner to clear a threat.

Sixth Spot Decision Reached

(as suggested by LGMLegend)

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 SDef
Brave Nature
~ Facade
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Detect

A team member to mask up my overwhelming weakness to Fighting, Dark, and Ghost Types. Guts paired with the Flame Orb can do a large amount of damage, especially when used by a physical beast like Conkeldurr. Brave Nature will help to add even more attack at the sacrifice at speed.
  1. Facade is the obvious choice for a Guts Pokemon, Really taking advantage of the Guts boost in addition to the Orb.
  2. Drain Punch is a nice STAB to help Conkeldurr stay in the game longer and deal with pesky Dark types that can break some of my team.
  3. Mach Punch is a good priority move to help mask up a time when Trick Room may not be in effect and finishing off a Pokemon that may be almost gone.
  4. Detect is a great tool for Conkeldurr, so he can last another turn, or stall for when Trick Room isn't up.

Common Problems

> Very quick sweepers.
If my Trick Room setters are taken out very early into the match, there's usually no way for me to recover. Cloyster can stall while I try to set something up, but he's definitely not strong enough to sweep an entire team by himself.

> Fire-heavy teams
4 out of 6 members of my team are weak to fire, so a team that uses mostly Fire-types or pokemon with fire moves can take a majority of my team out and survive long enough to outlast Trick Room, and wreak havoc on my team.

> Charizard-Y
Because of his ability to change weather, AND power up Fire moves, he's a menace that I can rarely take down.

> Status-dependent teams.
Because of a lack of healing items on my team, if somebody decided to paralyze members, and I time my protects or substitutes badly, it can really prevent me from getting off Trick Room and make those vital 5 turns with it run out with little damage to the opponent.

> Fake-out
Not necessarily a huge problem, but some well-timed Fake Outs can sometimes take the flow away from the team and can leave some large openings in my defenses.

> Fast Dark-Types
Both of my Trick Room setters are damaged and KO'd quickly by Dark, so they're easy targets for teams with a Dark core.

Thankfully, opposing Trick Room teams and teams that try a splash of Trick Room usually are no threat, so that's a huge relief to me.

I am completely open to any suggestions and criticisms of the team. Thank you for your recommendations.

Attachments

Last edited:
Yeah it hasn't been performing at the level I want. Should I switch it with maybe Starmie to take away another fighting weakness? Or is Cloyster still the better choice?

You have a major weakness to pokemon like Scrafty or Special Mega luke, basically anything with Dark and Fighting coverage/Ghost and Fighting (Gengar). I would recommend a pokemon such as conkeldurr over Cloyster since it would handle all these poke via Drain punch and Reuniclus/Mawile would handle the ghost types via Shadow ball/Sucker Punch

For Slowbro i would change the item to a Sitrus Berry (Im looking at this team as you are playing with level 50s)

I would also change Ferrothorn to Leach Seed/ Protect/ Gyro ball/ power whip set

These would be my changes you can use them if you wish, but I understand it is a lot to change, while I myself would change a little more, but that would be taking away from the purpose of this team.

Conkeldurr (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Facade
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Detect

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Abomasnow (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

These were done very quick and not how I normally would go about making my own teams, I would recommend sitting down and doing Calcs to see how much you need to invest in something to take out threatening pokemon to your team or survive a hit from a threatening pokemon.

Last edited:
One small fix is that you should run intimidate on mawile. This is so you can weaken physical attackers. You aren't leading with Mawile, so whats the point in countering intimidate. Most likely their intimidate users are already on the field.

You already have 2 fighting resistances
The shell smash set still seems better for whe TR isnt up
Yeah, good point. But usually I get KO'd in one turn so I haven't been able to use Shield Smash while running it. :/

You have a major weakness to pokemon like Scrafty or Special Mega luke, basically anything with Dark and Fighting coverage/Ghost and Fighting (Gengar)....
I like the Conkeldurr suggestion, as well as the movesets, I'll experiment with those a little bit to see what fits best. What I dislike about the Conkeldurr idea is that if my TR setters are taken out, then I don't have anything to outspeed, but I'll see what it runs like for now.

One small fix is that you should run intimidate on mawile. This is so you can weaken physical attackers. You aren't leading with Mawile, so whats the point in countering intimidate. Most likely their intimidate users are already on the field.
True that. Ability has been changed.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of replacing Ferrothorn because he doesn't really have anything that stands out as extremely powerful.

If you had to make a suggestion for that, what would it be? I'm completely open to suggestions.

I have been thinking of replacing Ferrothorn because he doesn't really have anything that stands out as extremely powerful.

If you had to make a suggestion for that, what would it be? I'm completely open to suggestions.
my first idea was scrap the hail part of the team this is the suggestion I did not want to make as it would ask you to change the objective of the team and I believe the goal for an RMT is to better the objective of a team. If you take this route i would recommend take out slowbro and abomosnow for politoad and kingdra that would add speed to this team

My second suggestion would be take ferrothorn out for something along the lines of a dragon, my first opinion would be Scarf SpAtk Mence. This is what I am actually playing on my VGC Doswell team next week end and it has been working great for me and I am guessing you can give it a try as well

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast

Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I don't want to scrap the hail, but I'll probably build another team similar to that with those in there, that's a great suggestion!

And as for the Salamence idea, I do like it, but a question I've always had with it is why Draco Meteor on choice scarf if it'll just lock you into a move that decreases power, or is it for early matches when you can just switch out? Like, I'm not too sure how to use Choice Scarf Salamence, but I'm willing to give it a try.

And with regards to your Conkeldurr and moveset suggestions, they're actually helping the team a lot, thank you so much for them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)