Other Metagames Handcrafted (Mix and Mega, Peaked #1)

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to my fourth RMT thread, a thread that marks a special occasion for me as it finally showcases a metagame that isn't Anything Goes. Ever since Mix and Mega's inception I was always intrigued by the virtually unlimited possibilities, and found myself enjoying the metagame extensively. This however, wasn't the case for long. I often found myself unable to enjoy the OMotM ladder due to not wanting to get invested in a metagame that would leave the following month. This all changed however, when it gained a permanent ladder slot on Pokémon Showdown at the beginning of Generation 7. I loved the metagame, despite its lack of Mega Stones and its abundance of broken threats. The latter was no longer an issue after a few bans began to occur, and the former is slowly figuring itself out with the releasing of Mega Stones every month. Overall, I really enjoy this metagame, and I hope to for a very long time.

Like the remainder of my RMTs, I try to be unique to a certain extent. This team is no different. I was pondering the possibilities I could use Nihilego for, when its extremely high Special Defense stat stood out. Its typing acts as a formidable Xerneas check, while countering other common threats such as Zapdos, Yveltal, Mandibuzz, Fairy Arceus and Raikou. Nihilego is one of my favourite Pokémon, and the realisation of its potential within one of my favourite metagames (if not my favourite) made me quite content. I decided to build a few teams around it, where I landed on three functional effective teams. This is by far the most effective and my favourite to use. It has allowed me to progress to the later rounds of the Mix and Mega Open, while also enabling me to reach first place on the ladder.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Obviously, I started off with Nihilego, opting to use a Sablenite set to maximise its Special Defense. This allowed it to take minimal damage from the aforementioned threats, while giving it a great ability in Magic Bounce. Simply having a Zapdos on an opposing team is enough to make Zapdos underperform the entire match. I'd consider it on par to how Fairy Arceus can be used when against an opposing Mega Gengar, except to a somewhat lesser extent. A Toxic inflicted Zapdos is much less useful than a healthy one.

While I do hype up Nihilego, it does obviously have some faults. For starters, it has an obvious Ground weakness, as well as an annoying Psychic weakness. Yveltal aids with these weaknesses, providing an offensive answer to both types, while kind of solving the Golisopod issue. Nihilego + Yveltal seemed like a decent core, despite a few obvious flaws that the rest of the team patches up.

Zygarde-Complete seemed like an obvious addition at this point. A great stallbreaker, a great wall, with a fantastic defensive typing. Setting up Dragon Dance allows the team to overwhelm Blissey, Mandibuzz and a myriad of other threats. With Rest + Chesto Berry, Zygarde can stay in the match longer, avoiding its lack of recovery by forgoing another item. These three can take on almost any threat, bar Ice-type attacks.

This is where Golisopod comes in. Another offensive stallbreaker and Primal Groudon check seemed too good to pass up, whereas it patched up the deadly Ice-type weakness, and gave me a counter to Glalitite Weavile. It also allowed some priority, just in case an opponent was running Psyshock or some other awful coverage on Xerneas. Aqua Jet does approximately 50% to Xerneas, if that is in fact needed, but shouldn't be 95% of the time.

The last two Pokémon are used mainly to ease the pressure on the first four Pokémon, while also checking opposing Pokémon better. Fairy Arceus is an excellent defensive Arceus forme, allowing the team to prepare better for Weavile (as it is a massive threat for the first three Pokémon) as well as a plethora of other Pokémon such as Zygarde, Dragonite and Umbreon. I needed something fast, and Choice Scarf Lunala was something that kind of just fit the last slot. I was happy with the outcome.

CLOSER LOOK

Magic Bounce | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD | Calm
Power Gem
Clear Smog
Stealth Rock
Toxic Spikes
Nihilego was what inspired me to build this team. Its ability to almost perfectly counter both Xerneas and Zapdos is amazing, and allowed me to use such a nicely designed Pokémon in such a nicely designed metagame. Power Gem is its strongest Rock-type Special STAB and allows it to hit both Venusaurite and Sablenite Zapdos for half, while also 2HKOing omnipresent threats Mandibuzz, Yveltal and Golisopod whilst OHKOing Raikou, Ho-Oh and more. Power Gem is essentially its strongest option without doubling up on STAB attacks. Clear Smog is required in order to weaken Xerneas's Moonblast post-Geomancy. It also aids with Pokémon such as Manaphy that try to set up against Nihilego, when they can't 2HKO sans a boost. Clear Smog can also aid with dual coverage Lunala as well as a myriad of other threats. Stealth Rock is used on Nihilego, simply because it has the moveslot space and is often used as an anti-lead, while Toxic Spikes provide residual damage against many opponents that Fairy Arceus can stall out in the late game. Both hazards allow Handcrafted to function as an efficent offensive team, without sacrificing much potential from Nihilego. Nihilego's typing allows it to act as a formidable Xerneas check, while countering other common threats such as Zapdos, Yveltal, Mandibuzz, Fairy Arceus and Raikou. It truly is an underrated Pokémon.

0 SpA Sablenite Nihilego Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sablenite Zapdos: 182-216 (47.3 - 56.2%) -- 79.7% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Sablenite Nihilego Clear Smog vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 152-182 (34.6 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Sablenite Nihilego Power Gem vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 246-290 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 53-63 (12.5 - 14.9%) -- possible 7HKO
68 SpA Venusaurite Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 67-79 (15.9 - 18.7%) -- possible 6HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 35-42 (8.3 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 117-138 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Absolite Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 146-174 (34.6 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Shadow Shield | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Moongeist Beam
Moonblast
Focus Blast /
Psyshock
Ice Beam
Lunala's main purpose on the team is to provide a more stable attacker against offensive playstyles that the team doesn't check thoroughly, while also providing a dominant attacking force against many defensive teams. It can act as a blanket check to most of the metagame, only fearing super effective hits from Pokémon such as Life Orb Yveltal and Swords Dance Ghost Arceus. Choice Scarf allows it to outpace every common threat bar Pheromosa, which fails to threaten it, usually only piercing Lunala's Shadow Shield. Moongeist Beam is Lunala's strongest attack, giving it the ability to 2HKO most unresisted Pokémon. Due to this Moonblast is chosen as the optimal secondary coverage, so that Lunala can reliably deal major damage to Dark-type and Fighting-type Pokémon. Focus Blast can be used to deal even more damage to Dark-types and to provide the perfect Ghost- and Fighting-type coverage; however, Focus Blast's low accuracy can often be too risky to rely on. Psyshock may be a better option to deal with SpD walls and other pesky threats. Ice Beam is incredibly useful as it can OHKO Zygarde and Dragonite post-Mega Evolution. Thanks to Shadow Shield, it is able to take minimal damage and fire back at full force.

252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Blue Orb Golisopod: 157-186 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagrossite Kartana: 291-343 (112.3 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucarionite/Absolite Tapu Lele: 302-356 (107.4 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Zygarde: 364-432 (101.6 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Dragonite: 352-416 (108.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 204-242 (63.1 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Blue Golisopod Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala in Heavy Rain: 158-186 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagrossite Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 155-183 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagrossite Kartana Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 322-380 (77.5 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 63-75 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 90-106 (21.6 - 25.5%) -- 0.8% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 204-240 (49.1 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

Multitype | 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe | Bold
Judgment
Toxic /
Will-O-Wisp
Defog
Recover

Fairy Arceus is the glue that holds the team together, as a secondary check for offensive teams providing stability in the form of checking multiple common -ate users, per se Dragonite, Zygarde and Weavile; while being able to stall out other common threats such as Golisopod and even Primal Groudon if need be. Judgment is Fairy Arceus's strongest option for attacking while hitting the omnipresent Dragon- and Dark-types and making them borderline useless for the remainder of the match. Toxic can easily wither away at bulky attackers like Lunala and Primal Groudon, while Will-O-Wisp can be used instead to ease the pressure of the aforementioned -ate users and Golisopod, both of which can be deadly otherwise. Defog can halt Sticky Web Hyper Offense, especially if they utilise the common Gyaradosite Shuckle lead. It also allows Lunala to come in easily without shedding its Shadow Shield on Stealth Rock. Oh I wonder what Recover does.

0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 132 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 342-404 (80.2 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Blastoisinite Hoopa-Unbound: 228-270 (75.4 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glalitite Weavile: 348-410 (123.8 - 145.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Dragonite: 258-306 (79.8 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalitite Weavile Return vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 151-178 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 161-191 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsirite Dragonite Return vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 169-199 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Golisopod Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 186-220 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Primordial Sea | 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe | Adamant
Liquidation
Leech Life
Toxic
Aqua Jet

Golisopod is the teams main stallbreaker and primary Primal Groudon check. Its offensive typing and massive offensive stats allow it to break past Sablenite Cresselia and Blissey without much hassle. Liquidation is its main way of attacking, with Golisopod boasting 493 Attack, hitting a STAB Water-type attack in Heavy Rain. Alternatively, Golisopod can use Leech Life to hit Cresselia for max damage or deal with somewhat common threats such as Umbreon. Not many things wall Golisopod other than resistant walls and Red Orb users. This is where Toxic comes into play, simply hitting Primal Groudon with Toxic on the switch-in is enough to permanently damage it for the remainder of the match. Aqua Jet is simply to revenge kill Pokémon such as Primal Groudon or Xerneas when low on health. First Impression is useless, and Swords Dance isn't required; however, if you were to replace Toxic with one of them, then Swords Dance is clearly superior to First Impression. The EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible while providing enough bulk to live most attacks. Its Speed stat is too low to effectively utilise it, while Aqua Jet allows it to work effectively as a slow wallbreaker.

252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal in Heavy Rain: 760-900 (188.5 - 223.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal in Heavy Rain: 364-432 (90.3 - 107.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal in Heavy Rain: 364-432 (96 - 113.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Golisopod U-turn vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cresselia: 228-270 (51.4 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Leech Life vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sablenite Cresselia: 176-210 (39.7 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 81-96 (23 - 27.3%) -- 58.5% chance to 4HKO
236+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 102-120 (29 - 34.1%) -- 3.5% chance to 3HKO
236+ Atk Groudon-Primal Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 226-268 (64.3 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Power Construct | 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe | Adamant
Thousand Arrows
Thousand Waves
Dragon Dance
Rest

Zygarde-Complete is such an underrated threat within the Mix and Mega metagame, boasting a massive HP stat, incredible defensive typing and numerous offensive options. This team utilises a set I stole from Anything Goes, with the combination of Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. With this, Zygarde can trap many defensive Pokémon and set up on them. Zapdos is a prime example, as Zygarde can Thousand Arrows followed by Thousand Waves to ensure it can boost up to +6. By using Rest + Chesto at the right time, Zygarde can survive against Zapdos's Toxic. Zygarde at +6 only really fears priority users, especially Glalitite Weavile and Genesect. If Zygarde doesn't get the opportunity to be used as a win condition, it can act as a defensive tank for attacks from Raikou, Zapdos, Primal Groudon, e.t.c. Utilising Rest and Power Construct to their maximum potential is the secret to playing this Pokémon well. The EVs give Zygarde optimal attacking capabilities with enough Speed to outspeed Mega Gengar after one Dragon Dance, prior to Power Construct. The rest is allocated in Special Defense to allow Zygarde to tank the aforementioned attackers better.

252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 180-212 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Sablenite Zapdos before being grounded: 84-99 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- 1.4% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Sablenite Zapdos after being grounded: 168-198 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Red Orb Raikou Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 184-217 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Venusaurite Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 228-272 (39.7 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zygarde-Complete: 234-276 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Dark Aura | 32 Def / 248 SpA / 228 Spe | Rash
Dark Pulse
Oblivion Wing
Taunt
Sucker Punch

Yveltal can bust through many offensive and defensive threats due to its STAB combination of Dark- and Flying-. With a huge SpA stat, the existence of Dark Aura, its Life Orb and its great movepool; Yveltal is a very potent threat within the metagame. Dark Pulse is Yveltal's hardest hitting reliable STAB, giving it the strength to break Primal Groudon, Cresselia, Lunala, Zygarde and many more. Oblivion Wing gives Yveltal the option to recover its health to improve its longevity within the match. It also lets Yveltal OHKO bulky offensive threats like Golisopod. Taunt is obviously for many reasons, but the main reason it's used over coverage is to stop Smeargle leads if need be, since Skill Swap Smeargle can get around Nihilego. Sucker Punch gives Yveltal the ability to defeat faster threats, while evading the issue of being defeated by Scarf Lunala or Timid Specs variants. The EVs are kind of interesting. Virtually max Special Attack to hit as hard as possible, enough Speed to outspeed the abundance of 290 Speed Ubers sets, such as Water Arceus. 32 Defense gives it the ability to live a +2 Arceus Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock, which may be an unreasonable benchmark, but otherwise the EVs were wasted on a minimal Attack increase for Sucker Punch or extra Speed.

252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 214-253 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagrossite Kartana: 426-503 (164.4 - 194.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar-Mega: 398-468 (152.4 - 179.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 471-556 (113.4 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 361-429 (86.9 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Yveltal: 249-294 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Tough Claws Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Yveltal: 142-168 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Tough Claws Kartana Smart Strike vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Yveltal: 220-261 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

THREATS
  • Kartana - like other offensive teams, Handcrafted struggles with the existence of Kartana. The team must rely on Lunala and Yveltal to deal with this Pokémon. Fortunately, both OHKO with their STAB attacks; though a well played Kartana can really make play a struggle, especially if the user has switchins to Lunala and Yveltal.
  • Golisopod - as the team lacks a Red Orb user, Golisopod is free to utilise its rain boosted Liquidation against any Pokémon. This however, is rectified by the presence of Fairy Arceus, and its ability to live two Liquidation from Golisopod. Running Will-O-Wisp over Toxic on Fairy Arceus makes Golisopod's threat to the team almost non-existent; however, it honestly is not required. Lunala also takes on Golisopod fairly well, while Yveltal straight up OHKOs with Oblivion Wing. Both Zygarde-Complete and Handcrafted's own Golisopod can also deal with it if need be.
  • Sticky Web - While the team doesn't overtly lose to Sticky Web, it should be stated that Shuckle and Smeargle both pose a threat if they can get around Magic Bounce. Nihilego deals with both leads well but Gyaradosite Shuckle lives a Power Gem. If Shuckle runs any other Mega Stone, then generally setup is prevented. If Sticky Web is set up however, the team can struggle. Fairy Arceus is the only Defogger and good opponents can prevent its usage somewhat easily. This isn't a major threat, though it should definitely be mentioned.

REPLAYS

SHOUTOUTS
I'll keep this short.
Shoutout to the entirety of the Other Metagames community, for making my three years on Showdown as enjoyable and memorable as they were. I know this isn't an AG RMT, but thanks to my many friends from that room and the thousands of people I've ran into on ladder.
baconbagon for being dead
Dream Eater Gengar forcing you to read this because you don't like the meta
InfernapeTropius11 are you at a school or café or something bro?
Josh because tradition states i must shout you out in every rmt i make
Jordn for being too good
Kit Kasai me too thanks
Kris is my memedaddy
Natalie. ah rip, literally the same person, gj oo ^_^
nv 968 33737833 843 5323377447
Quantum Tesseract because i felt bad tagging the other council memers and not you
Thimo gonna have to smoke with you some day
Uselesscrab uselesscrab, have a useless alert
VoltDarkrai bc u guilt tripped me into shouting you out

CONCLUSION
Thanks for reading my RMT. I hope you had reason to read it all rather than just read your shoutout or steal the team, but if that wasn't the case, that's fine too! Enjoy the team, and if you find any flaws I missed or things I can fix in order to perfect the squad, please let me know. :d

IMPORTABLE

Code:
Nihilego @ Sablenite
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Clear Smog
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Defog
- Recover

Golisopod @ Blue Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic
- Aqua Jet

Zygarde @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 32 Def / 248 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
just wondering aren't most offensive blue orb users threatening? because your only water is golispod.
Golisopod is the only relevant offensive Blue Orb user, but even if they were used, their power would be easily taken on by Fairy Arceus and Lunala. Golisopod's high attack stat is the only reason it can deal so much damage to the team, something other offensive Blue Orb users would lack. The answer is no.

Great, you tagged me, so now I have to respond to this thread. :P

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to my fourth RMT thread, a thread that marks a special occasion for me as it finally showcases a metagame that isn't Anything Goes. Ever since Mix and Mega's inception I was always intrigued by the virtually unlimited possibilities, and found myself enjoying the metagame extensively. This however, wasn't the case for long. I often found myself unable to enjoy the OMotM ladder due to not wanting to get invested in a metagame that would leave the following month. This all changed however, when it gained a permanent ladder slot on Pokémon Showdown at the beginning of Generation 7. I loved the metagame, despite its lack of Mega Stones and its abundance of broken threats. The latter was no longer an issue after a few bans began to occur, and the former is slowly figuring itself out with the releasing of Mega Stones every month. Overall, I really enjoy this metagame, and I hope to for a very long time.

Like the remainder of my RMTs, I try to be unique to a certain extent. This team is no different. I was pondering the possibilities I could use Nihilego for, when its extremely high Special Defense stat stood out. Its typing acts as a formidable Xerneas check, while countering other common threats such as Zapdos, Yveltal, Mandibuzz, Fairy Arceus and Raikou. Nihilego is one of my favourite Pokémon, and the realisation of its potential within one of my favourite metagames (if not my favourite) made me quite content. I decided to build a few teams around it, where I landed on three functional effective teams. This is by far the most effective and my favourite to use. It has allowed me to progress to the later rounds of the Mix and Mega Open, while also enabling me to reach first place on the ladder.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Obviously, I started off with Nihilego, opting to use a Sablenite set to maximise its Special Defense. This allowed it to take minimal damage from the aforementioned threats, while giving it a great ability in Magic Bounce. Simply having a Zapdos on an opposing team is enough to make Zapdos underperform the entire match. I'd consider it on par to how Fairy Arceus can be used when against an opposing Mega Gengar, except to a somewhat lesser extent. A Toxic inflicted Zapdos is much less useful than a healthy one.

While I do hype up Nihilego, it does obviously have some faults. For starters, it has an obvious Ground weakness, as well as an annoying Psychic weakness. Yveltal aids with these weaknesses, providing an offensive answer to both types, while kind of solving the Golisopod issue. Nihilego + Yveltal seemed like a decent core, despite a few obvious flaws that the rest of the team patches up.

Zygarde-Complete seemed like an obvious addition at this point. A great stallbreaker, a great wall, with a fantastic defensive typing. Setting up Dragon Dance allows the team to overwhelm Blissey, Mandibuzz and a myriad of other threats. With Rest + Chesto Berry, Zygarde can stay in the match longer, avoiding its lack of recovery by forgoing another item. These three can take on almost any threat, bar Ice-type attacks.

This is where Golisopod comes in. Another offensive stallbreaker and Primal Groudon check seemed too good to pass up, whereas it patched up the deadly Ice-type weakness, and gave me a counter to Glalitite Weavile. It also allowed some priority, just in case an opponent was running Psyshock or some other awful coverage on Xerneas. Aqua Jet does approximately 50% to Xerneas, if that is in fact needed, but shouldn't be 95% of the time.

The last two Pokémon are used mainly to ease the pressure on the first four Pokémon, while also checking opposing Pokémon better. Fairy Arceus is an excellent defensive Arceus forme, allowing the team to prepare better for Weavile (as it is a massive threat for the first three Pokémon) as well as a plethora of other Pokémon such as Zygarde, Dragonite and Umbreon. I needed something fast, and Choice Scarf Lunala was something that kind of just fit the last slot. I was happy with the outcome.

CLOSER LOOK

Magic Bounce | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD | Calm
Power Gem
Clear Smog
Stealth Rock
Toxic Spikes
Nihilego was what inspired me to build this team. Its ability to almost perfectly counter both Xerneas and Zapdos is amazing, and allowed me to use such a nicely designed Pokémon in such a nicely designed metagame. Power Gem is its strongest Rock-type Special STAB and allows it to hit both Venusaurite and Sablenite Zapdos for half, while also 2HKOing omnipresent threats Mandibuzz, Yveltal and Golisopod whilst OHKOing Raikou, Ho-Oh and more. Power Gem is essentially its strongest option without doubling up on STAB attacks. Clear Smog is required in order to weaken Xerneas's Moonblast post-Geomancy. It also aids with Pokémon such as Manaphy that try to set up against Nihilego, when they can't 2HKO sans a boost. Clear Smog can also aid with dual coverage Lunala as well as a myriad of other threats. Stealth Rock is used on Nihilego, simply because it has the moveslot space and is often used as an anti-lead, while Toxic Spikes provide residual damage against many opponents that Fairy Arceus can stall out in the late game. Both hazards allow Handcrafted to function as an efficent offensive team, without sacrificing much potential from Nihilego. Nihilego's typing allows it to act as a formidable Xerneas check, while countering other common threats such as Zapdos, Yveltal, Mandibuzz, Fairy Arceus and Raikou. It truly is an underrated Pokémon.

0 SpA Sablenite Nihilego Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sablenite Zapdos: 182-216 (47.3 - 56.2%) -- 79.7% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Sablenite Nihilego Clear Smog vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 152-182 (34.6 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Sablenite Nihilego Power Gem vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 246-290 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 53-63 (12.5 - 14.9%) -- possible 7HKO
68 SpA Venusaurite Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 67-79 (15.9 - 18.7%) -- possible 6HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 35-42 (8.3 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 117-138 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Absolite Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sablenite Nihilego: 146-174 (34.6 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I'd honestly suggest running Sludge Bomb over Toxic Spikes. Nihilego isn't bulky enough to live 4 hits in almost any battle, and isn't powerful enough to force out sablenite mons that carry recovery to stop its hazards. Furtehrmore, only arceus fairy teams are threatened by TSpikes; Zapdos roosts on it to Defog multiple times, so you'll only keep up one hazard; Mandibuzz does the same while switching in, rockceus doesn't mind your attacks and wears you down while defogging, HO teams ignore tspikes, and pretty much every team can use Manaphy or something to reflect them. There shouldn't be any battle where you actually use it. Sludge Bomb, on the other hand, lets you actually threaten Arceus-Fairy, threaten sablenite on the switch with poison, and actually damage Xerneas/Fairyceus.​

Shadow Shield | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Moongeist Beam
Moonblast
Focus Blast /
Psyshock
Ice Beam
Lunala's main purpose on the team is to provide a more stable attacker against offensive playstyles that the team doesn't check thoroughly, while also providing a dominant attacking force against many defensive teams. It can act as a blanket check to most of the metagame, only fearing super effective hits from Pokémon such as Life Orb Yveltal and Swords Dance Ghost Arceus. Choice Scarf allows it to outpace every common threat bar Pheromosa, which fails to threaten it, usually only piercing Lunala's Shadow Shield. Moongeist Beam is Lunala's strongest attack, giving it the ability to 2HKO most unresisted Pokémon. Due to this Moonblast is chosen as the optimal secondary coverage, so that Lunala can reliably deal major damage to Dark-type and Fighting-type Pokémon. Focus Blast can be used to deal even more damage to Dark-types and to provide the perfect Ghost- and Fighting-type coverage; however, Focus Blast's low accuracy can often be too risky to rely on. Psyshock may be a better option to deal with SpD walls and other pesky threats. Ice Beam is incredibly useful as it can OHKO Zygarde and Dragonite post-Mega Evolution. Thanks to Shadow Shield, it is able to take minimal damage and fire back at full force.

252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Blue Orb Golisopod: 157-186 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagrossite Kartana: 291-343 (112.3 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucarionite/Absolite Tapu Lele: 302-356 (107.4 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Zygarde: 364-432 (101.6 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Dragonite: 352-416 (108.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Lunala Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 204-242 (63.1 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Blue Golisopod Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala in Heavy Rain: 158-186 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagrossite Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 155-183 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagrossite Kartana Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 322-380 (77.5 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 63-75 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 90-106 (21.6 - 25.5%) -- 0.8% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 204-240 (49.1 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
Run Xerneas here. It matches every offensive calc bar Tapu Lele, which your team already handles decently well and isn't that common.
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blue Orb Golisopod: 190-225 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagrossite Kartana: 446-526 (172.2 - 203%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Absolite Tapu Lele: 184-217 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pinsirite Zygarde: 368-434 (103 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Dragonite: 356-420 (110.2 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 207-244 (64 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensively, its rather worse, but it ties Lucarionite Pheromosa and hits much harder versus nuetral targets, and bluffs geomancy/Z-geomancy for you. While it does further weaken your team versus Magearna, I'm already going to suggest some changes blow to mitigate this and lunala doesn't do much there anyway. Honestly scarf Lunala is just kina bad in mn, it's weak, has 4 mss, is very prediction reliant, needs rocks off, isn't fast enough... Xerneas, meanwhile just destroys most offensive teams, as they have maybe one poke that can switch in once, and gives you a reliable RKer/Cleaner that doesn't rely on the passive fairyceus to function.

Multitype | 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe | Bold
Judgment
Toxic /
Will-O-Wisp
Defog
Recover

Fairy Arceus is the glue that holds the team together, as a secondary check for offensive teams providing stability in the form of checking multiple common -ate users, per se Dragonite, Zygarde and Weavile; while being able to stall out other common threats such as Golisopod and even Primal Groudon if need be. Judgment is Fairy Arceus's strongest option for attacking while hitting the omnipresent Dragon- and Dark-types and making them borderline useless for the remainder of the match. Toxic can easily wither away at bulky attackers like Lunala and Primal Groudon, while Will-O-Wisp can be used instead to ease the pressure of the aforementioned -ate users and Golisopod, both of which can be deadly otherwise. Defog can halt Sticky Web Hyper Offense, especially if they utilise the common Gyaradosite Shuckle lead. It also allows Lunala to come in easily without shedding its Shadow Shield on Stealth Rock. Oh I wonder what Recover does.

0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 132 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 342-404 (80.2 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Blastoisinite Hoopa-Unbound: 228-270 (75.4 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glalitite Weavile: 348-410 (123.8 - 145.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsirite Dragonite: 258-306 (79.8 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalitite Weavile Return vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 151-178 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 161-191 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsirite Dragonite Return vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 169-199 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Golisopod Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 186-220 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Replace Toxic, its really bad bar cteams. It sorta pressures some defoggers, but only really zapdos which isn't a threat. Sub CM Lunala just subs on you and blocks toxic, while offensive you'd be better off jusgementing. I'd suggest sticking with Wisp, but -ate bar gene isn't staying in, Gene doesn't care much, and golisopod isn't staying in on smth that walls it (which fairyceus alone on your team does. It won't help you much vs good players, and versus bad players you don't need special countermeasures.
Instead, run earth power. Earth Power is a much better option: It lets fairyceus take on offensive SD PDon, which toxic fails at, and pressures Restdon while toxic just sorta gets laughed off. It also deals with Red Orb Raikou, which you are otherwise reliant on Zygarde-c to check (and which loses to HP Ice), hits opposing Nihilego, and partly fixes your teams massive magearna issue in which magearna just wins from preview 95% of the time.

Primordial Sea | 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe | Adamant
Liquidation
Leech Life
Toxic
Aqua Jet

Golisopod is the teams main stallbreaker and primary Primal Groudon check. Its offensive typing and massive offensive stats allow it to break past Sablenite Cresselia and Blissey without much hassle. Liquidation is its main way of attacking, with Golisopod boasting 493 Attack, hitting a STAB Water-type attack in Heavy Rain. Alternatively, Golisopod can use Leech Life to hit Cresselia for max damage or deal with somewhat common threats such as Umbreon. Not many things wall Golisopod other than resistant walls and Red Orb users. This is where Toxic comes into play, simply hitting Primal Groudon with Toxic on the switch-in is enough to permanently damage it for the remainder of the match. Aqua Jet is simply to revenge kill Pokémon such as Primal Groudon or Xerneas when low on health. First Impression is useless, and Swords Dance isn't required; however, if you were to replace Toxic with one of them, then Swords Dance is clearly superior to First Impression. The EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible while providing enough bulk to live most attacks. Its Speed stat is too low to effectively utilise it, while Aqua Jet allows it to work effectively as a slow wallbreaker.

252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal in Heavy Rain: 760-900 (188.5 - 223.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal in Heavy Rain: 364-432 (90.3 - 107.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal in Heavy Rain: 364-432 (96 - 113.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Golisopod U-turn vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cresselia: 228-270 (51.4 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Blue Orb Golisopod Leech Life vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sablenite Cresselia: 176-210 (39.7 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 81-96 (23 - 27.3%) -- 58.5% chance to 4HKO
236+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 102-120 (29 - 34.1%) -- 3.5% chance to 3HKO
236+ Atk Groudon-Primal Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 226-268 (64.3 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
As always, imma suggest SD>Leech Life. Leech Life is honestly mediocre: better than first impression, yes, but not great. It hits Mandibuzz... and just about nothing else. Umbreon and Cresselia are forced out by rain regardless, and versus red orb mons you'd rather toxic. There are approximately 1 relevant grass type(which isn't bothered by leech anyway), so that's not the issue either. SD lets you not autolose to any bulky team that carries an answer to Zygarde, which is also great, and makes aqua jet really annoying for offense once Kartana+Dnite is gone.

Power Construct | 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe | Adamant
Thousand Arrows
Thousand Waves
Dragon Dance
Rest

Zygarde-Complete is such an underrated threat within the Mix and Mega metagame, boasting a massive HP stat, incredible defensive typing and numerous offensive options. This team utilises a set I stole from Anything Goes, with the combination of Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. With this, Zygarde can trap many defensive Pokémon and set up on them. Zapdos is a prime example, as Zygarde can Thousand Arrows followed by Thousand Waves to ensure it can boost up to +6. By using Rest + Chesto at the right time, Zygarde can survive against Zapdos's Toxic. Zygarde at +6 only really fears priority users, especially Glalitite Weavile and Genesect. If Zygarde doesn't get the opportunity to be used as a win condition, it can act as a defensive tank for attacks from Raikou, Zapdos, Primal Groudon, e.t.c. Utilising Rest and Power Construct to their maximum potential is the secret to playing this Pokémon well. The EVs give Zygarde optimal attacking capabilities with enough Speed to outspeed Mega Gengar after one Dragon Dance, prior to Power Construct. The rest is allocated in Special Defense to allow Zygarde to tank the aforementioned attackers better.

252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 180-212 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Sablenite Zapdos before being grounded: 84-99 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- 1.4% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Sablenite Zapdos after being grounded: 168-198 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Red Orb Raikou Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 184-217 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Venusaurite Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 228-272 (39.7 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zygarde-Complete: 234-276 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Please get rid of this, it just triggers me because it's so irredeemably bad. You Talk about trapping Zapdos, but it 3hkoes you; you tarrows, twaves, rest... and then can set up what, once? Or not at all if it defogs, and that's not getting into it roosting as you tarrows and just blocking the grounding. It might lure somebody once or twice, but against high level teams it pretty much dead weight. It has no offensive prescence, is defog bait for fairyceus, is memed by SD Groudon because no bulk, gets rolled over by Mag because it doesn't do enough damage and can't live... This might be salvagable if you built around it, but as is it's dragging the rest of the team down like an enormous anchor.

Dark Aura | 32 Def / 248 SpA / 228 Spe | Rash
Dark Pulse
Oblivion Wing
Taunt
Sucker Punch

Yveltal can bust through many offensive and defensive threats due to its STAB combination of Dark- and Flying-. With a huge SpA stat, the existence of Dark Aura, its Life Orb and its great movepool; Yveltal is a very potent threat within the metagame. Dark Pulse is Yveltal's hardest hitting reliable STAB, giving it the strength to break Primal Groudon, Cresselia, Lunala, Zygarde and many more. Oblivion Wing gives Yveltal the option to recover its health to improve its longevity within the match. It also lets Yveltal OHKO bulky offensive threats like Golisopod. Taunt is obviously for many reasons, but the main reason it's used over coverage is to stop Smeargle leads if need be, since Skill Swap Smeargle can get around Nihilego. Sucker Punch gives Yveltal the ability to defeat faster threats, while evading the issue of being defeated by Scarf Lunala or Timid Specs variants. The EVs are kind of interesting. Virtually max Special Attack to hit as hard as possible, enough Speed to outspeed the abundance of 290 Speed Ubers sets, such as Water Arceus. 32 Defense gives it the ability to live a +2 Arceus Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock, which may be an unreasonable benchmark, but otherwise the EVs were wasted on a minimal Attack increase for Sucker Punch or extra Speed.

252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 214-253 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagrossite Kartana: 426-503 (164.4 - 194.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar-Mega: 398-468 (152.4 - 179.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 471-556 (113.4 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 361-429 (86.9 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Yveltal: 249-294 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Tough Claws Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Yveltal: 142-168 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Tough Claws Kartana Smart Strike vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Yveltal: 220-261 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
This set is mostly fine, but there are still some issues. First off, non-LO arc doesn't exist; eving to live it is pointless. Put more in or ditch them for atk or spe. Next off, Heat wave is way better than taunt. Smeargle is A) Nonexistant, B) Beaten by Fairyceus if Mold Breaker/non absolite /Nihilego if not MB, and C) The pokemon you should be (if for whatever reason you keep it) using Zygarde on. Heat Wave lets you not lose to Magearna, which EP sorta does but you need the help, and allows you to take on the rare-ish steelceus/Cobalion better. Foul Play would also be a better option, but your massive Magearna weakness prevents this from being acceptable.
THREATS
  • Kartana - like other offensive teams, Handcrafted struggles with the existence of Kartana. The team must rely on Lunala and Yveltal to deal with this Pokémon. Fortunately, both OHKO with their STAB attacks; though a well played Kartana can really make play a struggle, especially if the user has switchins to Lunala and Yveltal.
  • Golisopod - as the team lacks a Red Orb user, Golisopod is free to utilise its rain boosted Liquidation against any Pokémon. This however, is rectified by the presence of Fairy Arceus, and its ability to live two Liquidation from Golisopod. Running Will-O-Wisp over Toxic on Fairy Arceus makes Golisopod's threat to the team almost non-existent; however, it honestly is not required. Lunala also takes on Golisopod fairly well, while Yveltal straight up OHKOs with Oblivion Wing. Both Zygarde-Complete and Handcrafted's own Golisopod can also deal with it if need be.
  • Sticky Web - While the team doesn't overtly lose to Sticky Web, it should be stated that Shuckle and Smeargle both pose a threat if they can get around Magic Bounce. Nihilego deals with both leads well but Gyaradosite Shuckle lives a Power Gem. If Shuckle runs any other Mega Stone, then generally setup is prevented. If Sticky Web is set up however, the team can struggle. Fairy Arceus is the only Defogger and good opponents can prevent its usage somewhat easily. This isn't a major threat, though it should definitely be mentioned.

REPLAYS

SHOUTOUTS
I'll keep this short.
Shoutout to the entirety of the Other Metagames community, for making my three years on Showdown as enjoyable and memorable as they were. I know this isn't an AG RMT, but thanks to my many friends from that room and the thousands of people I've ran into on ladder.
baconbagon for being dead
Dream Eater Gengar forcing you to read this because you don't like the meta
InfernapeTropius11 are you at a school or café or something bro?
Josh because tradition states i must shout you out in every rmt i make
Jordn for being too good
Kit Kasai me too thanks
Kris is my memedaddy
Natalie. ah rip, literally the same person, gj oo ^_^
nv 968 33737833 843 5323377447
Quantum Tesseract because i felt bad tagging the other council memers and not you
Thimo gonna have to smoke with you some day
Uselesscrab uselesscrab, have a useless alert
VoltDarkrai bc u guilt tripped me into shouting you out

CONCLUSION
Thanks for reading my RMT. I hope you had reason to read it all rather than just read your shoutout or steal the team, but if that wasn't the case, that's fine too! Enjoy the team, and if you find any flaws I missed or things I can fix in order to perfect the squad, please let me know. :d

IMPORTABLE

Code:
Nihilego @ Sablenite
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Power Gem
- Clear Smog
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Defog
- Recover

Golisopod @ Blue Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic
- Aqua Jet

Zygarde @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 32 Def / 248 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
Last but not least, Add magearna to your threatlist. Look at your first replay; it absolutely destroys you, and only Cata's lack of ice beam on Suicune and generally mediocre team lets you pull off a win. You can only really use boosted ZYggy to teal with it, which is super unsustainable.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Quantum Tesseract unfortunately I don't have the time to review your rate in detail and mention why there are flaws with most things you said so I'll try and summarise. Primarily, I believe Scarf Xerneas over Scarf Lunala is a fine change; however, only with the change of Fairy Arceus to Will-O-Wisp Ghost Arceus, do I see that change fitting. Sludge Bomb over Toxic Spikes is legitimate as well. These however are not my issues with the rate.

The issues I see are:
1) Suggesting Earth Power on a support Arceus forme. Bulky Steel-types such as Sablenite Magearna remain unthreatened, a threat that you seem to be running Earth Power solely for. Toxic/WoW are not bad bar for cteams, I find this simply to be a lack of experience on your part, as you're potentially unable to distinguish between Support and Offensive variants of sets? Not sure but please learn the difference.
2) "Zapdos 3HKOs Zygarde-Complete". The majority of Zapdos do not run Hidden Power Ice as you should actually know, and even if they do, that is why Nihilego exists. Maybe it's my description of the Pokémon's purpose that caused this illogical reasoning. Its sole purpose is not to set up on Zapdos; however, due to its prevalence this is an option. Thousand Arrows is an optimal attack to use for the late game once it has set up on a Thousand Waves trapped mon. Rather than run Thousand Waves + alternative coverage, Thousand Arrows is optimal as secondary coverage. There are almost no Grass-types present within the metagame and even if there were, Ground + Dragon or Ground + Normal would be much inferior. It doesn't lure certain threats "sometimes" and is "usually dead weight". It's an incredibly useful stall breaker as I stated, and works wonders against Balanced squads as well. You do state a bunch of other random "alternative facts" such as "it has no offensive presence" or "gets rolled over by mag" but I'm going to let that slide for now.
3) Smeargle is definitely an existent threat, that I have encountered many times during the laddering process, sometimes accompanied by Skill Swap or another means of removing ability. Sash Smeargle isn't easily dealt with otherwise; however, I love the fact that you decided to completely skip the part where I said Taunt had many purposes and just tried to focus on the one I listed, further helping my point. Heat Wave is nice sure, but over Taunt there are some gaping weaknesses. Also Heat Wave barely dents Sablenite, Venusaurite or god forbid Blue Orb sets which are the only three I've ever seen.
The main reason I took the time to respond to your post is because of the egotistical nature that I've had to endure from you in PMs and within your post itself. Messaging me stuff like "Is your team supposed to be a joke" and constantly downplaying my team as awful, contrary to the achievement it has obtained, is quite insulting. Please take yourself and your superiority complex off of my RMT thread. I've had it up to here with you Quantum, the least you can do is show some respect when rating a god damn team.

fwiw I found Lax's post less offensive than yours. Adieu.

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry Quantum but roasted as fuck holy shit

Just so that this post isn't complete garbage, how do you deal with substitute variants of Gyarados? It's not common or anything but I had issues with one yesterday which managed to do quite a bit damage to the team (I got haxed out of a win so it's not an automatic win button but it did a lot of damage when I was playing) and I want to know if there's a designated switch-in for it or a way to deal with it.

Huh... I didn't notice this until now. The team's real solid, and that Yveltal/Nihilego core is great, though the rest of the team does have a few shared issues, most of which are going to be apparent after Altarianite releases.

- Strong Fairies with Earthquake really threaten this team, bar Arceus-Fairy. And something like Altarianite Zygarde is just going to run through most of it after the Arceus falls. In defensive composition, this team could use a Steel type. I'd argue that a Skarmory/Celesteela +Nihilego core works out better than Yveltal, as much as a fun monster as the destroyer is.

-In a similar vein to Golisopod, Primal Kyogre kind of smashes through this team if it gets in on the Nihilego or Zygarde safely. Yveltal and Arceus can both weaken Primal Kyogre on their own, but it requires one of them to get KOed in order for Primal Kyogre to be suitably worn down. This issue is a good deal harder to solve without making more issues, but Primal Kyogre in general is difficult to deal with without Primal Groudon.

- The Lunala is a real good addition, and threatens quite a few offensive threats (including Primal Kyogre, if it's banged up enough), and is incredibly annoying with Shadow Shield up. And it's kind of the closest thing to an answer against those physical fairies...

So yeah. A bit of experimentation with this team could possibly make it even better against some threats you wouldn't think about (and normally don't face, except mid ladder, which is always a pain to prepare for). And nice job on the peak... as my own teams can prove, even a team with a big weakness can play around those threats and win if the player is crafty (or lucky) enough. Best of luck with crafting any other Mix and Mega teams!

Reactions: lax

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Huh... I didn't notice this until now. The team's real solid, and that Yveltal/Nihilego core is great, though the rest of the team does have a few shared issues, most of which are going to be apparent after Altarianite releases.

- Strong Fairies with Earthquake really threaten this team, bar Arceus-Fairy. And something like Altarianite Zygarde is just going to run through most of it after the Arceus falls. In defensive composition, this team could use a Steel type. I'd argue that a Skarmory/Celesteela +Nihilego core works out better than Yveltal, as much as a fun monster as the destroyer is.

-In a similar vein to Golisopod, Primal Kyogre kind of smashes through this team if it gets in on the Nihilego or Zygarde safely. Yveltal and Arceus can both weaken Primal Kyogre on their own, but it requires one of them to get KOed in order for Primal Kyogre to be suitably worn down. This issue is a good deal harder to solve without making more issues, but Primal Kyogre in general is difficult to deal with without Primal Groudon.

- The Lunala is a real good addition, and threatens quite a few offensive threats (including Primal Kyogre, if it's banged up enough), and is incredibly annoying with Shadow Shield up. And it's kind of the closest thing to an answer against those physical fairies...

So yeah. A bit of experimentation with this team could possibly make it even better against some threats you wouldn't think about (and normally don't face, except mid ladder, which is always a pain to prepare for). And nice job on the peak... as my own teams can prove, even a team with a big weakness can play around those threats and win if the player is crafty (or lucky) enough. Best of luck with crafting any other Mix and Mega teams!
I really wouldn't recommend rating a team built around the current meta based on something that will entirely change the metagame once it's released. Of course a ton of teams will be less viable when other stones like Altarianite are released; that's obvious. That doesn't change the fact that this is a current-meta team that should be rated based on the current meta and not on a theoretical meta that hasn't been experienced yet this generation.

Reactions: Ren
I really wouldn't recommend rating a team built around the current meta based on something that will entirely change the metagame once it's released. Of course a ton of teams will be less viable when other stones like Altarianite are released; that's obvious. That doesn't change the fact that this is a current-meta team that should be rated based on the current meta and not on a theoretical meta that hasn't been experienced yet this generation.
My mistake was thinking Ground coverage on Fairies was more common than... Granbull. I had thought a few more got either Earthquake or Earth Power, but no. No they don't. But given that we do have a definitive timing on these Mega Stones... we need to be prepared to change these teams up a bit when they do end up here again. Thinking to the present is good. Thinking to the present AND future is even better.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Sorry Quantum but roasted as fuck holy shit

Just so that this post isn't complete garbage, how do you deal with substitute variants of Gyarados? It's not common or anything but I had issues with one yesterday which managed to do quite a bit damage to the team (I got haxed out of a win so it's not an automatic win button but it did a lot of damage when I was playing) and I want to know if there's a designated switch-in for it or a way to deal with it.
Fairy Arceus should be able to handle all Gyarados sets relatively well, if not, other Pokémon can handle it depending on what coverage it runs / what set it is. Also, Lunala should be able to deal with almost all Pinsirite variants, outspeeding even after a Dragon Dance. No other Sub Gyarados sets come to mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)