Hariyama? UU?

Not a formal discussion, but why does the fatboy seem so UU? In theory he seems like the perfect Blissey/Weavile/Tyranitar counter, just from the simple fact that he resists ALL their standard attacks, and they will shit their pants when they see them.

Think about it: Massive unbreakable subs, Ice resistance, abusively high attack WITHOUT EVs, powerful STAB Focus Punches/Cross Chops, and he takes hits like a man.

Looking at his analysis, a suggested moveset is:

[SET]
name: Sub Puncher
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Knock Off/Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch
item: Leftovers

ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant
evs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Def

You bring him in to absorb a Blissey Ice Beam or Weavile Ice Punch/Night Slash attack, they run like hell and you create your sub. Nothing will want to eat a Focus Punch coming in (ask Skarm). You can Stone Edge Gyarados and fliers, and you can Knock Off Choice Users. If you feel so inclined, you can use Payback for a 100 BP dark attack to send Alakazaam/Azelf back to where they came from. All at the price of 1/4 of your HP. When your done, take him out and save him for later.

My tyranitar got owned by hariyamma.Can he learn Earthquake(You would think he would, He is a sumo).If he does, that could make him a Quakeslider. IMO Arm Thrust over focus Punch, It breaks Subs, and hits multiple times.

He's to slow, Psychic types just destroy him.
Unless you sub on the switch and hit the Psychic-type with Payback like previously suggested. If you don't have the chance to do that, then switch him out for Weaville. The Psychic attack will be negated and you can Pursuit them to death.

He's to slow, Psychic types just destroy him.
Yeah, I suppose that's why nobody uses Blissey either, who is slow and Fighting types destroy her.

Hariyama's a great Pokemon, but remember that this is D/P: you have a ton of Pokemon to choose from for your line-up of six, and that's not even taking BL/UUs with potential into account. He's also got some fierce Fighting competition: Machamp got No Guard, Heracross has always been a dominating force, Breloom can still Spore, Gallade is now here to show you what statusing Fighters can do...

Also, Earthquake is rubbish on Fighting types. It hits nothing worthwhile unless you're afraid of Poison types that don't float. And I'm allergic to made-up words like "QuakeSlide". It's Earthquake and Rock Slide. Two different moves.

He has a pretty decent movepool. Close Combat and Cross Chop are the premier fighting moves (discounting Focus Punching behind a Sub, which has already been discussed), coupled with great coverage from the elemental punches and Stone Edge/EQ, along with Bulk Up/Belly Drum and utility from Knock Off, I could see him potentially giving other OU Fighters a run for their money.

Wow, I never would have thought of Substitute + Payback. I'm kind of tempted to make one now.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that he gets Counter as well, which goes well with his massive HP.

Hariyama is a beast always has been, underused since there's faster choices, but if you want a real fighter, you know the big man's the way to go.

Excellent pokemon, very slow, virtually always outsped really, but he hammers out the physical attacks and he has a real good movepool.

How does he get the punches?

Close Combat is meh on Hariyama... even though the Defenses aren't massive, the HP is, and you want this guy to be able to live through a hit or two. If Hariyama goes UU he'd dominate. I expect that he'll probably just be lumped into BL with all the other pokes that we dont know what to do with :'(

hariyama@ burn orb
adamant
guts
252 atk 252 speed
belly drum
bullet punch
close combat
rock slide

this set should make him OU material. just send it out against a blissey and belly drum on the switch, then burn orb activates guts. it will have enough speed to kill skarm with close combat and to kill no speed EV gyarados with rock slide. bullet punch with this kind of boost will kill alot of things.

I have that exact same Fat Ninja, however ive also started to use a different one.

Fat Ninja@flame orb
Adamant:252 hp, 252 attack, 4 def (u could take from HP give to speed and hit 179 ill explain why
Guts
Fake out
Bullet punch/stone edge
Close combat
Fling

what this allows is him being used as an opener, or reciever of wish from a slow vaporeon. Fake out+bullet punch do good damage at 559 attack(adamant guts) fake out and dependingon what switch you predict you can fling the flame orb at a physical sweeper (not always one that switches in) as a psuedo-will o whisp.

hariyama@ burn orb
adamant
guts
252 atk 252 speed
belly drum
bullet punch
close combat
rock slide

this set should make him OU material. just send it out against a blissey and belly drum on the switch, then burn orb activates guts. it will have enough speed to kill skarm with close combat and to kill no speed EV gyarados with rock slide. bullet punch with this kind of boost will kill alot of things.
That won't make him OU at all. One of the most common physical walls is Gliscor who can take the bullet punch i'm pretty sure the finish off your less than half HP with Aerial ace. Failing the availablilty of this i'm pretty certain choice banded staraptors quick attack can finish the job to though i haven't done a calculation for it.

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet. But with 50 speed, what outspeeds him inside trick-room? I think only slowbro's psychic is something that he would fear.

i used my bulletpunch/fake out/fling set 3 times again today, and i must say im very impressed.

guts fakeout bullet punch will take a lot of flimsy sweepers by surprise. On paper thin defenses like zam, it combines for over 250 damage after guts (on average). which is a good amount if you are playing a stealth rock spikes team.

fling is also great as if he is the reciever of a wish and is above 80 ish% can take basically any physical hit. Then psuedo-will-o-whisp the physical sweeper and switch out ready to recieve another wish to continue fake out bullet punching.

obviously sometimes close combat is the better choice....but try out my set you might surprise yourself. (i know that it ohkos weavile with bullet punch after guts.)

ALso fake out is a GREAT way to take out people who set up on focus sash....it flinches takes away sash effectively ending the planned focus sash swords dance sweep (just an example)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)