1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Having trouble in VGC - Tailwind Team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Happy Ambipom, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Happy Ambipom

Happy Ambipom

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, so bear with me.

Whimsicott @Mental Herb
    Trait: Prankster | Calm
    252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
    - Tailwind
    - Taunt
    - Giga Drain
    - Encore
    The set here is sort of obvious. His main job is to set up Tailwind. He's also a class A annoyer in the form of a prioritized encore. Taunt's my only way to shut down TR teams. I hope that he's knocked out in turn one after he's set up so I can get to sweeping as quick as I can.

Chandelure @Shuca Berry
    Trait: Flash Fire | Modest
    200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Protect
    - Energy Ball
    Chandelure is an insanely powerful Pokemon, and with tailwind support, there's nothing holding him back. He's usually my lead along with Whims. The plan is to protect while his partner doubles their speed.

Nidoking @Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force | Modest
    204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
    - Earth Power
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect
    Nidoking earned himself a place on my team despite his mediocre base 87 SpA stat. Sheer Force/Life Orb boosts it 60%, making up for it. Yet, that's not the only thing he offers--great coverage from the famous bolt/beam combo along with special ground STAB. If Chandelure doesn't find himself in the lead position, this king does.

Breloom @Quick Claw
    Trait: Technician | Adamant
    220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Stone Edge
    - Protect
    This may be the only Breloom in the Pokemon universe that doesn't run spore. He can't spare a move slot for it, and it runs fairly smoothly without it. The move choices are obvious-dual STAB and Stone Edge for coverage. Protect on Breloom is important. He often gets double targeted because he threatens a crippling spore on the opponent. I mainly chose Breloom because my team lacked a physical attacker that could hit hard. STAB/Technician boosted priority was just a plus.

Suicune @Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure | Calm
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Calm Mind
    - Tailwind
    - Scald
    - Sunny Day
    This is where I think my team went wrong. I've been thinking about swapping it out with Latias. Suicune has two jobs--another tailwind user and a counter to rain teams. But once he sets up sun, that renders scald almost useless, and is still unable to hit water absorb Pokemon and Gastrodon. Latias could run something like Tailwind/Helping Hand/Sunny Day/Dragon Pulse(?). This is what I really need your opinions on.

Cinccino @Focus Sash
    Trait: Skill Link | Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Tail Slap
    - Bullet Seed
    - Rock Blast
    - After You
    This is another Pokemon I sort of chose because I didn't have any better ideas. Skill Link provides 2 125 BP moves, and 1 187 BP move, factoring STAB. although her attack isn't as high as I would like. After You is a move to use once tailwind is down to help my not-so-fast ally to move before an opponent.

So there's my team. My main problems are finding an alternative to Suicune and Cinccino. Suicune's replacement must learn Tailwind/Sunny Day. Cinccino's replacement just needs to be a reliable physical attacker.
    I normally send out Whimsicott/Chandelure/Nidoking/Breloom against a standard opponent. I also use this team in Smogon Doubles and I find the whole team is more effective in the 6v6 environment.
  2. MasterTotoro

MasterTotoro

I would like to ask why Chandelure is not running heat wave. Will edit thiss later with more help.

Edit:Some good pokes with tailwind and sunny day include Murkrow, Scizor, Lati twins, Zapdos, Gliscor, and your Whimsicott.
  3. Happy Ambipom

Happy Ambipom

Fire Blast hits harder I suppose.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)