Hello there...

Hello

I'm post this to communicate you all the reason of my absence of the past month. Causes beyond my control have taken upon my life, and to be honest this was not in my list of priorities, I don't even know if I should explain myself beyond "bad stuff happened", but this place has been a concerned were I can go to vent myself and have fun and you all have been nothing but awesome to me so I own you more.

A little context. For those of you that don't know me I'm a Mexican design student. My sister and I study here in Merida. It's a pretty great place really, and though the heat can get excruciating at times, all things considered is very good. but my family is from Campeche, a city two hours away from here, and that's were my parents reside. Here in Mexico we have "Semana Santa", the Easter equivalent of Spring Break. It's a two week break that we're given which we usually use by relaxing, procrastinating, going to the beach, or in my case, giving math classes to the kids about to enter college.

We had to pack everything, dirty clothes and kitchen supplies that were still good so that we could take them while we were there. Since we had so much we wouldn't go by bus, instead our parents decided they would bring the van and we would travel like a family. They had to work Saturday till 7 pm and then they would directly go to Merida. We would then pick everything we had, probably spend the morning around shopping and doing errands, eat something and then go back to Campeche. At least that was the plan...

We had everything ready by Saturday morning. We just had to clean around a bit and wait for mom and dad to arrive. And so we waited. And waited. And waited. It was getting late. We weren't worried that much though. To be honest we weren't worried at all. We though "Mom must've come out later than usual" / "They'll probably come tomorrow morning". And so we wen't to bed.

At 2 O'clock the phone rang. It was our aunt. By the tone of her voice I knew something was not right. She told me that our parents were in an accident. It was a shock. I can't say how much my heart was pumping. I couldn't imagine something like that had happened, I had a million questions, I asked them all in rapid succession and my aunt did all she could to answer them at the best of her abilities. They were alive. That was the most important thing for me. And neither were they in a comma nor had they lost anything. A truck had cut them in the highway, and they didn't have enough time to react, the front of the car ended up incrusted on the back of the truck, the were two inches away of getting their heads chopped, and the car was a total loss. They were taken to urgency.

I woke up my sister, told her to get ready. She was totally puzzled, I had to explain her that mom and dad has an accident and our aunt was coming to pick us up. We couldn't see them, but she was to take us to her home to take us by their side first thing in the morning. We barely slept that night. The breakfast tasted like nothing. We went to were they were. Out aunt was a doctor so she had a lot of contacts there, which was really fortunate as we didn't have to deal with all the bureaucratic bullshit that hospitals are all about.

We got there. Our father was sleeping, he had a collar. We were told later they had to give him a soothing to get him to rest. Our mother was in the worst condition. She received the worst part of the impact, and even though her and my father were using both their sitbelts, the impact was such that the sitbelt had burned her and given her a really heavy bruise on her left breast, as if she were punched at 100 mph. She was in bed too, the doctors had managed to stop the damage, I didn't want to know what kind of damage was it, I was just happy that they were both fine. Or as fine as they could.

I had to go back to Campeche though. With all the guilt of leaving my family in the state they were I had already make a commitment with the course I was teaching and couldn't just leave them to rot. So my aunt made a few calls and organized that me and my sister would come back home with a friend of her. It was hard. I was crying as I saw my mom, for the first time in months, just lying there with all those tubes and machines around her body. They both understood and knew we would be better at home. It was not like we would be alone either, as we would be taken care by our sitter. Delta, which has been with our family since my sister was born. She was a second mother to us and was just as distressed by the news. At least mom had dad to keep her company.

I went to classes like nothing had happened. I decided not to let this incident bring me down or to have it affect this kids that had nothing to do with it and we're just trying to learn and get better so they could enter the schools they desired to, or cause their parents force them to. At the very least I had a place to forget and let my mind off such things. It was good to not have to remember them in that state. My aunt kept us updated in their state, it was improving and we wouldn't have to worry. Why is that when people say that you can't help but be even more worried? My father was fine almost immediately. My mom was the one we were worried about.

They came back a week and a half later. My mother was getting much better but she still needed to rest and because what had happened last week they didn't even a car to return. My aunt personally took them home, were we were expecting them with a lot of excitement and a cake. We couldn't be very affectionate with her as she was still not completely fine, but having her was enough for us. I kept giving classes while my sister tried her best to make her stay as comfortable as possible. It's even worth nothing that by this moment ASB was not even on the back on my mind.

But all wasn't over. We had to go back to classes. Two weeks had passed. And so we went back to Merida. My mother was still coming and going as she had revisions and since I had the least classes because it's my last semester I was in charge or helping her with everything, taking her to the hospital and to her doctor's appointments, etc... While still having classes and everything. It wasn't hard but very time consuming, still, very little for having her around.

She had another surgery, this time because something had formed in her left breast. A clot of some kind, I don't know. All I know is she had to go under the knife once again. And I was the responsible to take her and wait for her. My sister was appointed to help her with all the cleaning duties and everything else that comes with the cares of an operation. She had to rest and we were only there for her, just as she had for us fOr so many years. The visits continued to happen until last week were she was told that she could return to Campeche. Just yesterday we wen't to the terminal for her to go back. Now walking normally and with a glow on her face I hadn't seen in months. She was my mom again, instead of a shadow of her former self. We said goodbye with tears in our eyes and just as she was getting home she called to told us she was fine and everything was good. She's gonna rest this week and go back to work the next.

So I'm sorry that I left you with nothing but this was not anticipated and I hope it NEVER happens again. It has been a tough weeks and we were scared, angry, depressed, and exhausted and just now I'm having time to write all this. Sorry to all I let down. I still have a lot of homework I have to do, and exams are just around the corner, but at least I'm happy that the worst has come and gone. Enjoy your loved ones while you can because you never know if you'll have them for much longer.

-Gerard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)