Help! keeping my DS rests in the ballance.

Ok. They rules around my place are that I only get 2.5 hours of DS time a week, but only if I:
  1. have no more than 2 late assignments (per quarter)
  2. have and 90% grade in all of my classes
This is all fine and good, but unfortunately, the quarter is almost over, and for biology, i have an 89.1% grade.

all stories have an upside, and for this one, it is that the science fair is the last assignment of the quarter. obviously, i want a grade that is above well above 90% on the science fair. And as we all know, a good science fair project starts with a good question.

And that is where I am asking for help. I Need a good question. The rules are located here. Thanks for any help you give. note: (in the fair, I will not give you any credit for the question formally, but i will be eternally grateful too you)

If the link to the rules does not work, they are below.

Middle School Super EZ Rules
(Detailed explanations below table)
Type of Project Allowed Allowed with Restrictions Not Allowed Involving Humans Passive Observation Ingesting anything, exercise, surveys Involving Hazardous Chemicals, Activities and Devices Risk Assessment must be conducted and included in procedures Firearms, explosives, Class III & IV lasers, DEA controlled substances, prescription drugs, radiation Involving Vertebrate Animals Investigations involving observation of zoo animals, wild animals or pets Behavioral studies of pets Drastic changes in home environment; negative reinforcement Involving Human or Animal Tissues hair, sterilized teeth, meat or meat by-products purchased from a store, fossils, prepared fixed tissue slides, and the researcher's own nail clippings Anything else Involving Microbe Cultures Yogurt cultures, Baker's and Brewer's yeast purchased from a store. Unknowns from the environment, BSL-1 microbes BSL-2 or higher microbes Complete NWSES Super EZ Rules for Middle School Projects
Human Subjects
Very specific types of human subjects projects are allowed using the MS Super EZ form. Observational studies of legal public behavior of children and/or adults where there is NO interaction between the researcher and her subjects. ( OK : a student observes how many children play on the monkey bars vs. the slide at the park. Not allowed : a student observes how many children play on the monkey bars vs. the slide at the park and then asks the children why they prefer one over the other.)
Not allowed
  • Eating or drinking anything, including food, candy or water.
  • Exercise studies.
  • Surveys.
  • Consumer products testing involving human subjects.
If you have questions on whether a survey is or is not appropriate, please refer questions to Stephanie Jones, Intel NWSE fair director.
Hazardous Chemicals, Activities and Devices
Projects involving the use of hazardous chemicals and devices and involvement in hazardous activities require direct supervision by a parent or teacher. A risk assessment needs to be included in the project procedures answering the following:
  • List the hazardous chemicals, activities or devices that will be used.
  • Identify the risks involved.
  • Describe the safety precautions used to reduce risk.
  • Describe the disposal methods used for hazardous chemicals.
Hazardous chemicals include acids, bases, and alcohol and tobacco products. Hazardous activities are those that involve a level of risk above and beyond that encountered in the student's everyday life. Hazardous devices include laboratory equipment that requires a moderate to high level of expertise to ensure its safe usage.
Not Allowed
  • Firearms and explosives
  • Class III and IV lasers
  • DEA controlled substances
  • Prescription drugs
  • Radiation
Microbe Cultures
The following three microbes are approved without special precautions:
  • Baker's yeast purchased from a store
  • Brewer's yeast purchased from a store
  • Yogurt cultures
A risk assessment needs to be included in the project procedures answering the following for all other microbe projects:
  • List the type of microbe that will be used.
  • Identify the risks involved.
  • Describe the safety precautions used to reduce risk.
  • Describe the disposal methods used.
Studies involving unknown microorganisms present a challenge because the presence, concentration and pathogenicity of possible agents are unknown. In science fair projects these studies typically involve the collection and culturing of microorganisms from the environment (e.g. soil, household surfaces, skin, etc.) The following microbe projects can only be conducted at school or a research lab:
I. Unknowns obtained from the environment must be treated as follows:
1) Research with unknown microorganisms can be treated as a BSL-1 study under the following conditions:
  • Organism is cultured in a plastic Petri dish (or other standard non-breakable container) and sealed. Other acceptable containment includes petro film and doubled heavy-duty (2-ply) sealed bags.
  • Experiment involves only procedures in which the Petri dish remains sealed throughout the experiment (i.e. counting presence of organisms or colonies).
  • The sealed Petri dish is disposed of in the appropriate manner under the supervision of the teacher or Designated Supervisor.
Not Allowed
Opening a culture for identification, sub-culturing or isolation.
II. Bio Safety Level 1 microbes specifically listed below may be used as long as all BSL-1 containment precautions are followed.
  • BSL-1 risk group contains biological agents that pose low risk to personnel and the environment. These agents are highly unlikely to cause disease in healthy laboratory workers, animals or plants. The agents require BioSafety Level 1 containment. Approved BSL-1 organisms are: Aspergillus niger , Bacillus thuringiensis, Escherichia coli strain K12, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Micrococcus leuteus, Neurospora crassa, Pseudomonas fluorescens, and Serratia marcescens.
  • BSL-1 containment is normally found in water-testing laboratories, in high schools, and in colleges teaching introductory microbiology classes. Work is done on an open bench or in a fume hood. Standard microbiological practices are used when working in the laboratory. Decontamination can be achieved by treating with chemical disinfectants or by steam autoclaving. Lab coats are required and gloves recommended. The laboratory work is supervised by an individual with general training in microbiology or a related science.
Microbe rules come directly from the Intel ISEF rulebook.
Vertebrate Animals
Two types of Vertebrate animal projects are allowed using the MS Super EZ form.
  • Observational studies of behavior of animals in their habitat (this includes the home for pets, the zoo, and nature) where there is NO intervention or treatment. ( OK : a student observes goldfish behavior during feeding time vs. non-feeding times on a normal feeding schedule. Not allowed : a student observes how the goldfish react to not being fed on a normal feeding schedule.)
  • Behavioral projects for pets involving doing things that pets experience in everyday life i.e. a new food dish, supplemental treats (following label recommendations), a new toy. ( OK : a student observes which colored dish a dog prefers to drink from. Not allowed : adding food coloring to water to see which color the dog prefers.)
Pets are defined as animals not acquired specifically for a research project.
Human and Vertebrate Animal Tissue
The following human and animal tissues are allowed using the MS Super EZ form.
  • The researcher's own nail clippings
  • Hair
  • Sterilized teeth
  • Meat or meat by-products obtained from a food store, with receipt
  • Fossils
  • Prepared fixed tissue slides
( OK : a student compares strength and texture of clippings of her own hair after it is soaked in different concentrations of salt solution. Not allowed : a student compares shape and size of teeth from a variety of 'road-kill' animals.)
Not Allowed
ALL other projects involving human and animal tissue, including those involving organs, non-sterilized teeth, blood and other body fluids.

the real question is what kind of house are you living in where you can only play you nintendo ds for a max 2.5 hours a week and thats only if you have an a in all classes is just fucking stupid tbph.

I cant open the link you gave me for some reason so I hope you could list the rules. Since this is middle school science, I am pretty sure I remember enough about it to give you advice and would like to help. You just need to post the actual rules since I cant open that link :/

alright im gonna give you something to work with in a bit

How about an expirement where you observe something like fish, and how they react to something using Scientific Method. That's really all I remember about MS Science. : /

I just added the rules, and KD24, I live in a house with a parent who hates video games. and i think you missed something, because it is a maximum of 2.5 hours per week.

Wow, 2.5 a week. Thats like.....torture........painful.....Wow. So, i remember some stuff i did in middle school science-maybe growing stuff in different environments/ways? But, i realize the quarter is over soon, so that could be a pain. Hmm, they never say anything about testing how people react to listening to music-maybe whether it makes them work faster or slower. that could definitely work. Good luck :D

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just play it anyways, because if your lowest grade in school is 89.1% (which is, ffs, pretty insignificant from 90.0, except it sits right on the damn borderline between an A and a B; if it was the difference between, say, 90.1 and 91%, we seriously would not be having this discussion), then you're obviously doing just fine without your parents looking over your shoulder and micromanaging your life 99% of the time. My parents were that way too (I mean, they wouldn't even let me watch the damn Matrix until I was 17 because "that's when the government says you're old enough to watch it) and tried to control the shit out of me until I finally grew a pair and let them know they weren't going to tell me what to do like that anymore. Sure you'll probably get in trouble a time or two (which doesn't seem half-bad, as it looks like you aren't allowed to do anything except study anyways), but if you're intelligent about it, and let them know what's philosophically wrong with forbidding you to use something you purchased yourself (if I'm wrong about that, then go out and buy your own DS, as they have every right to not allow you to play one they bought for you), they'll eventually give up. Sure they might call you a brat and say you'll never learn and ruin your life, but that's just what parents say when they're defeated. Look at me, I turned out fine. Not a mass murder, not a druggie, more than halfway through college, not in danger of failing, etc. Except I'm very bitter about this whole subject, and probably will be =/

I think people are missing the point. I need some ideas for my science fair. The fact is that my parents don't really care about my arguements over the matter, and the only reason they let me buy the thing was the terms I laid out for use. Then, when the school year started, the dS rules changed. It's as simple as that. What I am concerned about is getting any ds at all next quarter.

Water rockets... maybe it isn't all to creatif but if you use a large bottle(19 litres:naughty::naughty::naughty:) then you'll be fine. Make sure it is all safe because they hit hard.

What's middle school, grades 6-8? Toward the end of elementary school (which goes up to grade 7 here) my friend snagged first prize with an experiment about the effects of music on plants, and someone snagged a "First Class" ribbon (the equivalent of an A) the next year with a similar experiment. That might be worth doing.

To clarify, take a look at the second experiment undergone here.

set up a pump system to pump blood through a dead animal to make its organs function

after that, you'll get to play your DS all you want in the mental ward:chaos:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)