Help Me Get a Pokemon Club Started

This sounds cool! Do you have potential club members though? You may want to petition with some other people, because if I were the dean, I'd want proof that people would even sign up for this club anyway. Your position would be much stronger with some support from fellow classmates who want the club to come to fruition.

Good luck!
Come to think of it, this is rather true. The probability that a dean accepts a club is higher when more people are interested.

Good luck!

The best way is to probably relate aspects of pokemon to academic subjects and then to bullshit on how it would help stimulate/develop skills useful in those areas.

E.g.

Economics - allocating scarce resources (EVs) to suit needs/whatever. Making decisions to control something, taking into account opportunity cost

Maths - Damage formula, estimation of damage mentally

History - Drawing in evidence and coming to a decision (what move to make from what your opponent is doing)

There's also the general rationale improvement which can be useful in communication subjects e.g. English as it forces you to think in a logical order under stress, useful perhaps in essays.

Also STRESS that it isn't some fanboy shit but proper competitive stuff, I think your dean probably has the misconception its all going to be "check out my pikachu"

You could also try showing a video battle (find one on youtube) of shoddy or netbattle and I agree with Max you need prospective visitors to the club.

Competitive Pokemon really requires a lot of intelligence, so I don't think that's a problem. It's not like you're doing shit like trading Pokemon cards.

I think the bigger problem lies in gathering enough interest.

This sounds cool! Do you have potential club members though? You may want to petition with some other people, because if I were the dean, I'd want proof that people would even sign up for this club anyway. Your position would be much stronger with some support from fellow classmates who want the club to come to fruition.

Good luck!
Actually, this was one of the first steps I went through in order to get the club started. Our school requires that any new club has a group of at least 15 students interested in joining, and they must sign a petition. I was able to get 30 people who want to join to sign; the only reason it isn't started yet is because the dean says he won't allow it because it "has no academic value."

Actually, this was one of the first steps I went through in order to get the club started. Our school requires that any new club has a group of at least 15 students interested in joining, and they must sign a petition. I was able to get 30 people who want to join to sign; the only reason it isn't started yet is because the dean says he won't allow it because it "has no academic value."

Did you force the information down his throat?

And did you bring up the "knitting club"??

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I really like the idea of this. Perhaps you should write a paper on the subject? If it's good enough, I'd like to display it on Smogon.com or something.

If they have Chess clubs, they should allow this sort of thing. I mean, Pokemon requires just as much thinking and intelligence to play as Chess imo, and involves some pretty complex mathematics.

If they have Chess clubs, they should allow this sort of thing. I mean, Pokemon requires just as much thinking and intelligence to play as Chess imo, and involves some pretty complex mathematics.
Yes, but I think his "dean" doesn't see Pokemon that way (as SBC said, probably more CHECK OUT MY POKEMON-ish).

I think your best bet is to take down the damage formula, explain IVs and EVs, breeding better Pokemon, prediction in competitive battling and team building to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)