Heracross and Primeape and 3 scarfs? (peaked 1540ish)

This team currently has me peaked at about about 1540ish cre, but i am trying to get on the leadeboard so much help is appreciated.

@Choice Scarf
Overgrow/ Mild
Evs 252spA 252 spe 4 atk
-Sleep Powder
-Leaf Storm
-Earthquake/ Power Whip
-Sludge Bomb

Venusaur, my lead is the grass part of my FWG core. Agaisnt most leads i use Sleep Powder to prevent Stealth Rock from getting set up, but my team doesn't really mind the rocks tho. Sludge Bomb gives me a good STAB move, while Leaf Storm gives me a powerful secondary STAB. Earthquake ensures that i am not totally useless against Chansey, and hits Steel types which could wall me. Later in game Venusaur can serve as a very useful Revenge killer, or Hit and Run sweeper.

Venusaur vs top 10 leads:

Ambipom: Go straight to Registeel.
Uxie: Stay in and use Sleep Powder.
Mespirit: Leaf Storm first to see if it is Trick Scarf, if it's not, go straight to Registeel.
Qwilfish: Either Sleep Powder to prevent Spikes, or Leaf Storm/Earthquake it.
Omaster: Leaf Storm, if i predict a switch i will use Sleep Powder.
Cloyster: Put it to sleep to prevent entry hazards, or Leaf Storm.
Hippopotas: Leaf Storm
Electrode: Earthquake.
Alakazam: Go straight to Registeel.

Willing to change? Yes

@Leftovers
Clear Body, Careful
Evs 252 Hp 104atk 152spD
-Thunder Wave
-Seismic Toss
-Ice Punch
-Stealth Rock

Registeel is my supporting pokemon. Thunder Wave is for crippling threats, and also slowing down opponents so that Heracross doesn't have to worry about being outpaced later in game. Shadow Claw means that i am not set up bait for Mismagius, while Ice Punch could give me a way of hitting Altaria and Venusaur. Registeel is a very important part of my team, resisting Heracross and Hitmonlee's Flying and Psychic type weaknesses, as well as Venusaurs ice weakness.

Willing to change? The move set yes, the poke, no.

@leftovers
Bold/Marvel Scal
Evs 252 Hp 248 Def 8spe
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Haze

Milotic, the water part of my FWG core, and a very valuable member too. Milotic and Registeel have nifty defensive coverage together with Milotic being able to take on fire type attacks directed at Registeel, as well as Ground ones, and Registeel being able to switch in on Grass type attacks directed at Milotic. Surf and Recover are here for obvious reasons, while Haze prevents pokemon such as DDFeralgtr from setting up on me. I am considering using a Rest Talk set because i do not have anybody who can switch into Venusaurs Sleep Powder in early game.

Choice Scarf
Hasty/ Flash Fire
Evs 232 spA 20 atk 252Spe
-Overheat
-Pursuit
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power Grass

Houndoom is the fire part of my FWG core, and my next Scarf'd pokemon. Adding a Scarf to Houndoom gives me 3 Choice Scarf pokeon, which sound silly, but i like it and it has lead me to much success. Houndoom has pretty good coverge with Heracross, being immune to both Fire and Psychic attacks directed at Heracross. Houndoom has been getting killed by too many Arcanines using Extreme Speed lately, so i might use Naive nature instead. If Houndoom wasn't on my team i would be a little weak to Weezing. I have considered using Blaziken in Houndooms spot because i do not like Houndooms Stealth Rock weakness, but if i add Blaziken i will have another fight type, and 3 fight types on one team just doesn't sound so smart. Houndoom takes down threats like Mismagius, Alakazam, and Rotom with ease, which use to give my team some trouble. The thing i like the most about this Houndoom is that everybody expects it to be Nasty Plot, so they react to it as if i am going to set up, and they end up getting screwed over.

Willing to change? Yes, but only for another fire type.

@Toxic Orb
Guts/Jolly
Evs 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def
-Night Slash
-Close Combat
-Megahorn
-Facade

Heracross was the first pokemon that came to mind when i built this team. I knew that i wanted to try out the recently UU Heracross and the set i wanted to try out was Guts Swords Dance. This Heracross has not failed me much yet, he can OHKO almost the entire tier even before he gets up Swords Dance (assuming the orb activated.) Heracross hits almost te enitre tier for neutral damage with thise moveset, and each of these moves has over 130 base power. If Heracross's orb has acitvvated he can be a good switch in to Venusaurs Sleep Powder.

Willing to change? The moveset, yes. The poke, no.

@Choice Scarf
Adamant/ Vital Spirit
Evs 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Hp
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge/Punishment
-Ice Punch

Primeape is here in replace of Hitmonlee, and he does his job well. Primeape is a great revenge killer, although he has less attack than Hitmonlee, he is a bit faster. Primeape also gives me a very useful switch in to Venusaur's Sleep Powder, which my team use to have serious trouble dealing with. Ice Punch allows me to hit Venusaur for Super Effective damage. Stone Edge hits flying types for hard damage, while also allowing me to hit ghosts. I have tried using Punishment to get rid of late game sweeping Mismagius, but Stone Edge works better.

Well thats the team! Rate, Hate, Comment.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, Cicada! I don't have much time so I'll be posting only a slight nitpick if you don't mind. I recommend swapping your current Registeel variant/ set for the one below due to a variety of reasons which will be stated along the the set.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body | Nature: Careful
252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 SpD
Stealth Rock | Ice Punch | Seismic Toss | Thunder Wave

By using this altered version of the standard tank Registeel, you are able to accomplish a variety of things; first of all, by running Seismic Toss and Ice Punch, you don't become set up fodder for Altaria, Torterra and Sub-Charge Rotom who would other wise simply set up all over Registeel. Also, this EV spread makes sure that the substitutes of the standard Sub-Charge Rotom are broken (unless Registeel has a burn). I know this wasn't much of a rate, but I hope I helped!

Hi, Cicada! I don't have much time so I'll be posting only a slight nitpick if you don't mind. I recommend swapping your current Registeel variant/ set for the one below due to a variety of reasons which will be stated along the the set.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body | Nature: Careful
252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 SpD
Stealth Rock | Ice Punch | Seismic Toss | Thunder Wave

By using this altered version of the standard tank Registeel, you are able to accomplish a variety of things; first of all, by running Seismic Toss and Ice Punch, you don't become set up fodder for Altaria, Torterra and Sub-Charge Rotom who would other wise simply set up all over Registeel. Also, this EV spread makes sure that the substitutes of the standard Sub-Charge Rotom are broken (unless Registeel has a burn). I know this wasn't much of a rate, but I hope I helped!

Thanks for the rate, i will try out this Registeel and see how it works.

I'll make a few suggestions.

Changes

• Remove Swords Dance from Heracross. Replace with the a move of your choice (Night Slash, Pursuit, ect, ect).
The reason I suggest this is because, usually, you'll end up using Swords Dance on something you force out, right? But then, they bring in something that easily out-speeds you, like Alakazam or Moltres. Then what? You're forced out, racking up Stealth Rock and/or Spikes damage, along with even more Badly Poisoned damaged. You can easily just spam Facade against half of the tier, only fearing things like Mismagius (can't even 2HKO with +0 Shadow Ball [39.1% - 46%]), and Rotom (always 2HKOs after Stealth Rock and Toxic damage [43.7% - 51.7%]). Jolly is fine, but you might want to try out Adamant for a bit. I'd personally stick with Jolly.

• Add 80 more EVs into Houndoom's Atk.
You're not going to have a decent chance at OHKOing Dugtrio without it. In fact, a Dugtrio set with just Earthquake/Aerial Ace/Substitute will be causing quite a bit of harm to your team. I wouldn't recommend switching out for a Blaziken either, for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the fact that Venusaur is stopping Stealth Rock set-up first turn regardless.

• De-slash Mach Punch/Sucker Punch on Hitmonlee
I cannot honestly see a situation where you would require Priority on Scarf Hitmonlee. Not to mention that Scarf Sucker Punch just kind of sucks. If you're finding yourself in need of a bit more speed, might I recommend Choice Scarf Primeape?

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Primeape keeps momentum in your favor with U-turn, boasts a powerful Close Combat (albeit, not as powerful as Hitmonlee's), and draws in Weezing, which Houndoom can use to net a free Will-o-Wisp boost. Primeape is also a good Venusaur switch-in, should Registeel be down for the count and Heracross having not activated its Orb yet.

Can't think of anything else. Congratulations on reaching 1540. I'm still mid-1400, but I'm hoping to at least make the Leaderboard. Good luck.

I'll make a few suggestions.

Changes

• Remove Swords Dance from Heracross. Replace with the a move of your choice (Night Slash, Pursuit, ect, ect).
The reason I suggest this is because, usually, you'll end up using Swords Dance on something you force out, right? But then, they bring in something that easily out-speeds you, like Alakazam or Moltres. Then what? You're forced out, racking up Stealth Rock and/or Spikes damage, along with even more Badly Poisoned damaged. You can easily just spam Facade against half of the tier, only fearing things like Mismagius (can't even 2HKO with +0 Shadow Ball [39.1% - 46%]), and Rotom (always 2HKOs after Stealth Rock and Toxic damage [43.7% - 51.7%]). Jolly is fine, but you might want to try out Adamant for a bit. I'd personally stick with Jolly.

• Add 80 more EVs into Houndoom's Atk.
You're not going to have a decent chance at OHKOing Dugtrio without it. In fact, a Dugtrio set with just Earthquake/Aerial Ace/Substitute will be causing quite a bit of harm to your team. I wouldn't recommend switching out for a Blaziken either, for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the fact that Venusaur is stopping Stealth Rock set-up first turn regardless.

• De-slash Mach Punch/Sucker Punch on Hitmonlee
I cannot honestly see a situation where you would require Priority on Scarf Hitmonlee. Not to mention that Scarf Sucker Punch just kind of sucks. If you're finding yourself in need of a bit more speed, might I recommend Choice Scarf Primeape?

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Primeape keeps momentum in your favor with U-turn, boasts a powerful Close Combat (albeit, not as powerful as Hitmonlee's), and draws in Weezing, which Houndoom can use to net a free Will-o-Wisp boost. Primeape is also a good Venusaur switch-in, should Registeel be down for the count and Heracross having not activated its Orb yet.

Can't think of anything else. Congratulations on reaching 1540. I'm still mid-1400, but I'm hoping to at least make the Leaderboard. Good luck.

Thanks for the theral rate, i will definetly try out your suggested changes and see how it works out.

Hi there man. Why not try Hitmontop instead of Hitmonlee, first off you won't be welcoming opponents to set up on your Hitmonlee which is locked on a move and also you have the ability to rapid spin now.

Hitmontop@Leftovers
252HP/58ATT/200DEF
Impish
-Rapid spin
-Aerial ace
-Close Combat
-Sucker punch/Stone edge.

Hope this helps and GL.

Another bonus is that you have something to switch in one Heracross, a pokemon which I see nothing on your team would be happy to switch into him.

I battled this team yesterday and I noticed that it's very solid and has a lot of potential.
It just had a huge problem with my Poliwrath which can KO or set up against most of your Pokémon. Personally I think that with two scarfers you really have a hard time covering Pokémon that rely on any type of set up (like my Substitute Wrath). Hitmonlee is the weak link of the team and it's redundant considering you already run Venusaur and Heracross.

I am not sure about which Poké can replace it, but you should try a Sub-Encore Zam.

Good Luck

P.S.:
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Adepto sent out Tank (lvl 100 Skuntank ?).
The Shiny Cicada sent out Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
Adepto switched in Steel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Venusaur used Sludge Bomb.
It doesn't affect Steel...
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Steel used Iron Head.
It's not very effective...
Registeel lost 7% of its health.
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 6% of its health.
---
Adepto switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Registeel used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Registeel restored 1% of its health.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Milotic (lvl 100 Milotic ?).
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Milotic lost 6% of its health.
Milotic's leftovers restored its health a little!
Milotic restored 6% of its health.
---
Milotic used Surf.
Steel lost 18% of its health.
Steel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Steel restored 6% of its health.
---
Adepto switched in Wrath (lvl 100 Poliwrath ?).
The Shiny Cicada switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
Wrath used Substitute.
Wrath lost 25% of its health.
Wrath made a substitute!
Wrath's leftovers restored its health a little!
Wrath restored 6% of its health.
---
Wrath is tightening its focus!
The substitute took damage for Wrath!
Wrath's substitute faded!
Wrath used Focus Punch.
Venusaur lost 45% of its health.
---
Adepto switched in Tank (lvl 100 Skuntank ?).
The Shiny Cicada switched in Heracross (lvl 100 Heracross ?).
Heracross was badly poisoned!
---
Adepto switched in Res (lvl 100 Moltres).
Res is exerting its pressure!
Heracross used Megahorn.
Res lost 26% of its health.
Heracross is hurt by poison!
Heracross lost 6% of its health.
---
Res used Air Slash.
Milotic lost 32% of its health.
---
Milotic used Surf.
Wrath's Water Absorb absorbed damage!
Wrath restored 13% of its health.
---
Wrath used Substitute.
Wrath made a substitute!
---
Venusaur used Leaf Storm.
It's super effective!
Venusaur's special attack was harshly lowered.
Wrath used Focus Punch.
Venusaur lost 44% of its health.
---
Venusaur used Leaf Storm.
Venusaur's attack missed!
---
Res used Air Slash.
Res's attack missed!
---
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Steel lost 6% of its health.
Steel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Steel restored 6% of its health.
---
---
Heracross used Facade.
Res lost 74% of its health.
Adepto's Res fainted.
Heracross lost 12% of its health.
---
Adepto switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
Scyther used Brick Break.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 43% of its health.
Scyther lost 10% of its health.
---
Registeel used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Milotic lost 6% of its health.
---
Milotic used Surf.
Wrath's Water Absorb absorbed damage!
---
Wrath used Substitute.
Wrath made a substitute!
---
Wrath used Focus Punch.
Venusaur lost 12% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Venusaur fainted.
---
Heracross used Facade.
Donphan lost 59% of its health.
Donphan's leftovers restored its health a little!
Donphan restored 6% of its health.
---
Heracross used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Steel lost 88% of its health.
Adepto's Steel fainted.
Heracross's defence was lowered.
Heracross's special defence was lowered.
Heracross lost 12% of its health.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Registeel lost 17% of its health.
---
Scyther used Swords Dance.
Scyther's attack was sharply raised.
Milotic restored 2% of its health.
---
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Wrath lost 12% of its health.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
Wrath used Substitute.
Wrath made a substitute!
---
Houndoom used Fire Blast.
Wrath used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Houndoom lost 100% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Houndoom fainted.
---
Heracross used Facade.
Donphan lost 47% of its health.
Adepto's Donphan fainted.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Registeel lost 18% of its health.
---
Scyther used Swords Dance.
Scyther's attack was sharply raised.
Registeel used Seismic Toss.
Scyther lost 36% of its health.
---
Scyther used Brick Break.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Registeel lost 51% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Registeel fainted.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Hitmonlee (lvl 100 Hitmonlee ?).
Scyther used Quick Attack.
Hitmonlee lost 100% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Hitmonlee fainted.
---
Milotic used Recover.
---
Wrath used Substitute.
Wrath made a substitute!
Milotic used Ice Beam.
---
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Wrath used Focus Punch.
Milotic lost 47% of its health.
---
Wrath used Substitute.
But it failed!
Milotic used Ice Beam.
---
Wrath used Substitute.
Wrath made a substitute!
Milotic used Ice Beam.
---
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Wrath used Focus Punch.
Milotic lost 48% of its health.
---
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 50% of its health.
Wrath used Focus Punch.
Milotic lost 47% of its health.
---
Wrath used Encore.
Milotic got an encore!
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 50% of its health.
---
The Shiny Cicada has left the room.
Adepto wins!

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I've played this team. As the log above also shows, having SR but no ghost is going to give you Scyther/Moltres problems. I think the ScarfSaur lead fits your team really well, stopping those early hazards, so I recommend replacing Scarf Hitmonlee with something like Sub-Charge Rotom or NP Mismagius who also strengthens your team against Heracross. Having two scarfers can be a bit of overkill.

I also recommend changing your Heracross set to Sub + 3 attacks. With those three attacks being Stone Edge, Megahorn, and Close Combat, you could've subbed on that Skuntank and taken out his Moltres. Those three attacks give perfect neutral coverage against everything except Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and the frail Toxicroak. Getting a hit in and potentially scouting scarf threats that switch in is a lot better than hitting hard, so try out SubCross instead of SDCross. Don't think of the Guts boost as neccessary to achieve, but something that allows you to bypass the normal burning-a-physical-threat strategy.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions, i will begin testing them all out shortly.

Edit: okay i tested these and i found Primeape to be the most useful replace for Hitmonlee. I will edit him into this team tommorow.

I would strongly recommend you use Pursuit Houndoom over NP Houndoom. You would no longer be absolutely screwed by Ghosts.

I would strongly recommend you use Pursuit Houndoom over NP Houndoom. You would no longer be absolutely screwed by Ghosts.

Mixed Pursuit, or Choice Scarf Pursuit?

Edit: Alrigh i have been using Scarf Doom and it has been doing really good, thanks for you suggestion.

hey cicada i played your team with my gligar and was walling your heracross and predicting your primape lol jk. Your team is really good but i suggest changing the lead venasuar with possibly a ambipom(scarf vensaur is 2 predictable and when you lock yourself into leaf storm your begging to be set up on.(see my cacturne)Love the team though.
ps im 19th on the uu leaderboard:)

I tried this team out and it works great. I'd suggest Earthquake over SD on Heracross. It has served me well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)