Here comes the sun! UU

Yeah, sun in UU! It's been working... Okaaaaaayyyy. I've been battling on Pokemon Showdown for a while and I'm laddering at about 1200ish. That is... Not spectacular, and I'm kind of short of ideas on how to improve the team so I thought I'd give it an RMT. I'll make this one pretty straight forward.

TEAM BUILDING

To start off my sun team, I first searched for a Pokemon that could reliably set up sun in as many battling conditions as possible. There were a lot of candidates, but in the end I chose Volbeat. Thanks to Prankster, I'm pretty much guaranteed a Sunny Day (I even outspeed Prankster Sableye) and he's pretty damn good at what he does.

The next thing I wanted to do was incorporate Victreebel, who has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. This is my first sun team so this is the first time I've gotten an opportunity to use him. He's truly a beautiful sun sweeper.

Next I needed a fire type that could hit incredibly hard along with the Sunny Day boost. I chose Rapidash. It may seem like an odd choice (especially in comparison to Darmanitan or Victini) but I opted for him because of his better speed, which allows me to run Choice Band for even more power, and enough coverage options to hit almost everything for excellent damage.

... I can't really justify the fact that I use Tropius except for that it is absolutely hilarious. Just look at it. But all joking aside, Harvest-Chestorest is a very effective strategy. If only it didn't have that nasty Ice weakness.

At this point it became fairly clear that I needed a spinner. Hitmontop immediately came to mind as it resists moves that Pokemon on this team will often find themselves on the other end of, specifically rock.

And this is the spot that I find I end up switching a lot. Right now the spot belongs to Charizard, who hits incredibly, I repeat, INCREDIBLY hard in the sun but sometimes I think there could be a better Pokemon here. I just don't know what.

THE TEAM IN DETAIL

Volbeat
Bold
Heat Rock
Prankster
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spd.
Baton Pass, Encore, Sunny Day, Substitute.

I always lead with Volbeat because he's always going to get a Sunny Day out no matter what. Ideally though, I'd like to keep Volbeat alive so if the opponent leads with Mienshao or something and starts Stone Edging I'm definitely not going to stay in. However that's why I have Substitute so I can scout out the opponents first move. If it's an attack, no big deal, I can switch into something else, likely Hitmontop. If it's a non-damaging move, I get to keep my sub, and I can proceed to Encore the Pokemon and force a switch. I then Baton Pass the sub to whatever Pokemon I want to set up with and Volbeat's job is done until I need to renew that sun (That rhymed :D).

Victreebel
Rash
Life Orb
Chlorophyll
172 Atk 140 SpA, 196 Spd.
Leaf Blade, Weather Ball, Sleep Powder, Growth.

Say hello to the best sun sweeper in UU. Thanks to outstanding support from Volbeat, Victreebel is very, verrryyy likely to get a growth out and demolish as much as possible. If Victreebel doesn't sweep the entire opposing team is will get very, very close and will put a huge dent into the opponent. Leaf Blade and Weather Ball are great together, only resisted by fire types. Sleep Powder helps me get a Growth out if for some reason I'm not hiding behind Volbeat's Substitute. It really is effective. Literally the best sun sweeper in the game and I wouldn't consider using any other Chlorophyller. I mean there is Lilligant and other things, but they just can't top the sheer awesomeness that is Victreebel. This thing will absolutely destroy you as long as that sun keeps shining.... ONLY if that sun keeps shining....

Rapidash
Jolly
Choice Band
Flash Fire
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP.
Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Low Kick, Drill Run.

There's a few reason why I choose to run Rapidash over other common UU fire types in the tier like Darmanitan and Victini. One reason is that Rapidash outspeeds both of them and can proceed to OHKO them with Drill Run. Another one is Flare Fire, which along with the Sunny Day boost, punishes any Pokemon that dare try to use my Sun boost against me. Simply put, he's my main check for opposing Fire types. Also he hits like a truck, did I mention that? Probably.

Tropius
Jolly
Chesto Berry
Harvest
252 HP, 40 Atk, 72 Def, 40 Sp. Def, 104 Spd.
Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Rest, Dragon Dance.

This is a set I made up myself. It's pretty ridiculous, I know. Why would I ever want to use Dragon Dance Tropius? It just seems so craaaazy. Well yeah you're right, it is crazy. Do you know what's crazier? Chesto-Harvrest. Statuses? No problem. Obscene amounts of damage? Bye bye. And there Tropius goes, dragon dancing over and over until you realize that this flying fat dinosaur is going to sweep your team. I'm sorry to say it. Tropius gets Leaf Blade, but the combination of Leaf Blade and Dragon Dance is illegal due to breeding restrictions, so I had to opt for Seed Bomb which was given to Tropius through the BW2 tutors. Thanks for that, GF! Earthquake is coverage. Rest is what makes this set work, I can use it infinitely with Harvest and I don't need to worry about waiting off sleep. I get a lot of opportunities to set up Dragon Dance this way. Trust me, the set works. Sometimes. Occasionally.

Hitmontop
Impish
Heat Rock
Intimidate
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD.
Rapid Spin, Foresight, Sunny Day, Close Combat.

Hitmontop has a few jobs for this team. One of them is to cripple strong physical sweepers that might try and use Rock type attacks to cripple this team, such as Mienshao or Rhyperior. The second is to spin SR away, which he can do with Foresight and Rapid Spin just fine. The last thing that Hitmontop can do, surprisingly, is that he can actually set up Sunny Day if Volbeat for some reason can't. It works because it's a lot less obvious than Volbeat; most people don't expect me to have Sunny Day on my Hitmontop. So yeah, this is a pretty important Pokemon on my team. His support is essential for making this team successful.

Charizard
Timid
Heat Rock
Solar Power
252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 HP.
Fire Blast, SolarBeam, Sunny Day, Roost.

... I just don't know about this one. As I'm writing this I'm trying to think of why I use Charizard in UU. I'm pretty good at keeping Stealth Rocks off the field, it's just... Hmm. Maybe it's because it hits so hard. Seriously. It hits ridiculously hard. Solar Power + Sunny Day + Fire Blast + STAB 2HKOs almost anything in UU and I also get coverage with Solarbeam so really I'm going to be hurting as least something with it. Yet time and time again, I always get weird looks when I use it. I tried Arcanine in this spot, and even Flygon for a while, but I just like this Charizard so much, it has swept more times than Rapidash or even Victreebel has. I want to switch it for something better though...

And that's it. I would really like to get some rates here, so have at it (: thanks for the support!

Cool team! I've tried before (with little success) to do a UU Sun team, but this team looks pretty solid, for what it is. I think the team would be better without Charizard, that 4x SR weakness really brings you down, I think you need something not weak to Rock in it's place.

One idea, if you're willing to get creative, would be Blajaran's Special Flygon from the Next Best Thing thead:
Flygon @ Life Orb / Heat Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
Resistant to Rock & Fire, immune to Ground, and reaps the benefits of Sun while also being able to set it up. I haven't used the set myself, but I actually think it would work well for this team.

Awesome team GenXXZ. I rarely run into weather teams in UU, so it's nice to see a weather team without the mainstays you see in OU.
It's cool to see you using Tropius, since he is kind of obscure. And the set you have on him is just so cool!
My only question is why Rapidash and Charizard? From the looks of it, Rapidash could do a pretty good job of handling your fire power by itself. I know you said that spot switches a lot, but another fire type just worries me, for what that is worth.

But, this looks like a fun team to play against, and I'm sure it's fun to use. Good job man!

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Just as some general suggestions for things you could add to your team in place of Charizard, Tropius, and Rapidash. They seem like cool gimmicks, but sun is enough of a gimmick in itself without using shady, unreliable pokes. I'd suggest sticking to things that are tried and tested in UU as being good that are merely amplified by being in sun. Your team at the minute has a lot of momentum sucks and is so dependent on the sun being up at all times that it's rather ineffective.

For starters, Band/Scarf/LO Darmanitan > > > > > Rapidash. If Rapidash's 105 attack "hits like a truck", Darm's 140 attack would hit like a UFO. You maintain your coverage against fires with Rock Slide as well as access to moves like EQ, Superpower, and U-turn.

Next, Volbeat is kind of, to put it nicely, trash. You'd be much better off with a lead Sunny Day sableye. With sableye, you can block opposing hazards with taunt without having to rely on Hitmontop a.k.a. Momentum Suck #1. Furthermore, you can run Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical threats without having to switch to Hitmontop a.k.a. Momentum Suck #1. (Noticing a pattern yet?). Finally, you have access to either Recover for reliable recovery (which volbeat has none of) or an attacking move like Foul Play/Snarl/Night Shade to have some offensive presence.

Next, I'd suggest changing your Tropius with a much more solid sun sweeper, Growth Shaymin. Other people prefer Growth Shiftry, but imo Growth Shaymin can absolutely wreck opponents on the special side. Seed Flare - Sun-boosted HP Fire - Psychic has awesome coverage, or you can opt for Synthesis to increase longevity and lose some coverage. You can also go with Growth Shiftry, who has less impressive stats and coverage moves but has Chlorophyll, but Shiftry is primarily physical, and you already have Victreebel.

Charizard is also just adding onto your fixation around Hitmontop's weak spinning capabilities, and isn't too great of a pokemon anyway. This is complete theorymonning, but you could try a specially oriented Raikou with Sunny Day, Weather Ball, Thunderbolt, and HP Ice.

Now that you have a hazard preventer in Sableye and less Rock weaknesses, Hitmontop needs to go. I think that defensive Arcanine best fits his place. With intimidate and a reasonable defense stat, Arcanine is a much better wall than Hitmontop, boasting access to a strong Sun-boosted Flare Blitz/Flame thrower, 75% instant recovery in Morning Sun, and access to priority with ExtremeSpeed or coverage with Solarbeam.

Reading back on this, I realize that I kind of just completely replaced your entire team, which I'm sorry about. Implementing even a couple of these changes would help, but they're really just more suggestions of what can work on Sun Teams, which I have built before, rather than necessary changes. Your team has a lot of potential, and I love seeing people use unconventional weathers in the UU metagame, but sun is one of the trickiest weathers to use. I hope I helped and didn't come across as a complete douchebag trying to hand you a completely new team x)

Hey, thanks for the rates everyone. This is my first sun team in any tier and I'm pretty open to suggestions so don't feel like you were too harsh or anything.

@PTJon7
Hey, cool flygon! I'd use it but I'm afraid it's not gonna hit hard enough, so I'll give it a shot but I don't think I'll keep it.

@Kitten Milk
Prankster Sableye seems like a good idea, I think I'm going to switch to that! I didn't think that Sableye could learn Sunny Day so that's good to know.
I don't want to replace Tropius with another sun sweeper because that would leave me very open to special attacks and I really wouldn't have a ton of defensive options in general... Arcanine I think would be a good Hitmontop replacement, so I'll do it. I'm hesitant on putting in two growth sweepers so I'll hold back on that one.
That Raikou set looks rediculously awesome. I am adding that.

In regards to the Raikou set, I think HP Grass would be much better, Weather Ball hits Grass types harder than HP Ice does and HP Grass lets Raikou OHKO Swampert and Rhyperior.

Well as a general suggestion for the team, you have 5 NU pokes and only one UU guy, so you could easily replace hitmontop with hitmonlee/chan and make it RU or go a step further and replace him with something like armaldo and go NU.

If you'd like to keep it in UU, I'll give you a few suggestions to help with that.

First off, there aren't many things in UU that benefit strongly from the sun. However, I like kitten's suggestion for a life orb darmanitan. This thing is insane and does 47-55% to suicune, the best darm counter in UU. So with rocks up, darm will @2HKO everything in the tier. You might also want to try banded victini forthe same reason.

I also really really really like kitten's suggestion for a growth shaymin. With +2 nothing wants to take a seed flare, espcially with a life orb, doing 60-70% to snorlax even. This wil be pretty unexpected as well.

I also like the idea of using sableye. You just need to be wary of scarfed fire types in the lead spot because once you set up sun, sableye will die to a v-create/flare blitz

If you're looking for something somewhat gimmicky but fun to use for a sun team, give starf berry exeggutor a try. With a starf berry, the sun and protect, this guy gets a +2 boost to a random stat each turn. Sure, you need to be lucky, but I've actually gotten a sweep with him before in OU. I'd say its worth a try.

You may also want to try specs chandelure with fire blast. Although this guy is still semi shut down by snorlax, he does an insane 79-94% to umbreon. This thing's pretty powerful in the sun. It also acts as another spin blocker and, if it gets a flash fire boost, its pretty much guaranteed a kill, and can OHKO even SUICUNE with a fire blast

IMO you should actually keep hitmontop. He's a great switch-in to things that give your team some problems like rhyperior and spinning away rocks when you have so many fire types is aways a good idea. He also would be your only rock resist.

Also another set you might want to try:

Xatu @ heat rock
Magic Bounce
Careful Nature
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
-Roost
-U-turn
-Sunny Day
-Night shade

One more: Cress with moonlight. K I'm done

Also can you add an importable for this team once you've made the changes you want? I'm curious to try this out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)