Heroes of Our Time

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heroes of Our Time
Hi guys, since this is the end of the fifth generation (and the end of gen5 NU), I felt like sharing a team which wasn't from FLCL that could handle most threats in the tier while still being fun to use. I don't ladder with it (and I really think being top5 on PS ladders means nothing, since it's so easy to do these days lol), but I went undefeated against my friends in #neverused if that count for something!

The team:

I am too lazy to write everything, but the goal of this team is to set up my entry hazards fast to help Duosion and Seismitoad weaken wall or remove them to let Jynx clean late game!

In Depth:

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 SDef / 164 Atk / 248 HP / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Earthquake

Standard set. Metang is awsome in this metagame, as it checks the dangerous Psychic-types in the tier (especially Jynx) and has access to the important Stealth Rock. As you will see below, I can have problems if my opponents plays their Skuntank well, but fortunately for me, no one runs Fire Blast on their Skuntank so Metang makes an excellent check to it! The ev spread let Metang survive two Life Orb Focus Blast from Jynx and a bunch of other stuff while still being able to strike back. Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, and Stealth Rock are mandatory, and Toxic is useful to wear down opponent's Musharna or to weaken walls. Earthquake also work well in the 4th moveslot since my team has a lot of Pokemon with Toxic, since it gives you another way to remove Steel-types.

Scolipede (M) @ Black Sludge / Payapa Berry
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 200 Spd / 36 Atk / 24 Def / 248 HP
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Toxic Spikes / Pursuit
- Spikes

Good and reliable bulky Scolipede :). You could use a more offensive set with Life Orb / Payapa Berry if you want, but I like to have a second switch in to Sawk and Primeape to let Duosion and Mandibuzz stay as healthy as possible. You might wonder why Payapa Berry is an option; It lets Scolipede survive a Psychic from a Scarf Jynx after Stealth Rock, which can be really helpful if Metang ends up being your sleep fodder (which it will most of the time lol), and a Psychic from Musharna if you feel like switching Scolipede on it. The ev spread let you outspeed Kadabra so you can break its Focus Sash or revenge kill it if the sash is broken, enough Atk evs to 2HKO Musharna after Stealth Rock (or not, too lazy to check :pirate: ), and the rest goes into bulk. I'm running Spikes and Toxic Spikes to get as much residual damage as possible on the opponent's team to support my team. Finally, Bug/Water gives me good neutral coverage!

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 4 SDef / 208 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Mandibuzz is hard body babe. Nah for real this thing takes hits like its her job. While I miss on a spinblock (spinners are rare in NU (and not that good)), I have a Pokemon able to beat Dark-types, which my team struggle to beat otherwise, and give me a Ground-immunity. Mandibuzz is amazing with entry hazards support as it forces so many switch with Taunt, Toxic, and Foul Play. The ev spread might look strange, but it gives me certain jump point: 208 Spe evs let me outspeed max Speed Seismitoad while giving me a jump point in Defense and odd HP.

Seismitoad (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Rain Dance
- Sludge Bomb

Previously a SubToxic set, and now that I tested it enough ( on the ladder and going 22-4 u_u) I decided this set was better. It patches up my weakness to Rain teams while giving my another win condition, all while still being able to do what I previously needed it to do: help taking out Steel-types and Skuntank. It is funny how so many people don't expect it from not having Water Absorb, and to see their face when later in the game I set up a Rain Dance and sweep. It also gives me a good Electric-immunity and Sludge Bomb is nice to poison some Pokemon :).

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Arguably the best Choice Scarf user in the tier. Ice/Psychic STAB is amazing in NU, only being wall by Steel-types and some obscure Pokemon like Houndoor or Pawniard, which means Jynx can run Trick to mess with Special walls to help Duosion set up, or Lovely Kiss which is pretty much an OHKO with gen5's mechanics. Choice Scarf Jynx let me check Carracosta, since Jynx outspeeds it even at +2, and is actually my only check to Rain team (and Toxic Spikes). Speaking of Rain teams, they are dangerous to this team if you misplay against them, so set up Toxic Spikes as soon as possible and don't let Ludicolo sweep you :)!

Duosion (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder / Signal Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

The star of the show. I could run Musharna over this little beauty, as it would allow me to check Rain teams better with its better special bulk, but I needed something that didn't care about entry hazards and that could show the middle finger to stall, so I decided to be more weak to rain teams to beat stall more easily (This is mostly because I play against FLCL a lot, and he loves to play with his stall team). I mostly use Thunder on my Duosion, since it let you bone Mandibuzz pretty hard allowing you to remove it quickly, while keeping good neutral coverage against Steel-types, and knowing my luck, paralyse my opponent's team :). You could run Signal Beam over it if you want though, since it can help you win a CM war more reliably (but you have other things for that!).

Threats:
  • Rain team are a dick, but a quick fix to this would be to run Kangaskhan somewhere as it allows you to revenge kill most weather abuser, but i need everything to make it work.
  • SHIFTRY 6-0 ME IF MANDIBUZZ IS DOWN.
  • Duosion: like Rain, this thing is a bitch; I have to trick it Choice Scarf to make it easier for me to deal with, so I have to play carefully around this thing and try to keep Scolipede and Metang healthy to take it down.
  • Charizard: This thing is dangerous with a Choice Specs, but I can revenge kill with Scolipede and Jynx. Be careful around it and set up Stealth Rock asap. (Kangaskhan would also help, but as I said, Ground-types are dangerous to this team, so its up to you.
  • Scraggy.
  • Other stuffs
Possible change:
  • Kangaskhan over something: Help you check Charizard and Weather Team better, but each member does something important on the team :(.
  • Musharna over Duosion: Better special bulk to check special attacker better, but entry hazards and status wears Musharna down quite fast.
  • Gardevoir over Duosion can be fun since it can eliminate Jynx's checks quicker than Duosion, but you become weaker to stall and spike stacking.
Importable:
Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 4 SDef / 208 Spd
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 80 SDef / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Scolipede (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 24 Def / 200 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes

Seismitoad (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Rain Dance

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Duosion (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Shoutouts:
FLCL - You are cool guy, and you are always willing to help me test teams for tournaments or just to have some fun! Oh and thanks for making me start watching animes :)

Raseri - Best NU leader imo, love talking with you in #neverused and you supported me quite a lot in the NU Open :)

ebeast - Anime buddies, a weaboo, chill guy. Too bad you quit for school and Yu-gi-oh :( imo comeback for spl!

atomicllamas - homo, stop using Rotom-S pls I want to beat you.

TropiOUs - urafaget

skylight - You are really crazy, but its nice to talk to you :). You should think more about the battles
than about penis though.

Treecko - Chill homosexual that forgot a life alert for his laptop, rip.

Cherub Agent - Cool guy :) you should tell me where you bought the scarfs!

Imanalt - You should leave Vermont asap and come party with me in Quebec imo.

tennisace - Real fagoat, dw man one day your ball won't be an orphan anymore :)

Zebraiken - Always willing to help other, and helped me quite a lot during the open with teambuilding :)

Lasagne21 - You are a butt.

cbt - cool guy that made me starts tournaments in mid-August. If any of you is still mad because I haxed the fuck out of you in a battle, blame him.

Molk - my RU buddy, cool guy, and pls continue xy science to hlep the community!

Annoyer - chill dark user, you should stop using shit alt tho or else jcm will get an heartattack soon.

Sayonara - another anime buddy :) you made me addicted to school romance shit, and i don't regret watching any animes you made me watch

Ezio - Cool guy, stop watching naruto its bad.

Silvershadow234 is manly af

scorpdestroyer for being AWSOME AND STUFF :)

Everyone else is cool though, so if i forgot you don't complain *-*

Last edited:
A very well built team. However, I do feel that it does struggle to beat many dark types such as Pivot Liepard and Mixed Shiftry the moment your Scolipede is down. Out of curiosity, have you considered Gurdurr over duosion at all? With the correct predictions, it can still buttplug Mandibuzz as you wish, using Ice Beam and Drain Punch as it roosts, and it fills the exact same role of Bulky Setup Sweeper. While I do understand that Duosion is the star of the show, your team really needs a way to deal with the pesky dark types which will attempt to assasinate your team members. The only other viable response to this would be to give up Jynx for Primeape, but this means you would be giving up your Rain / Water Sweeper check, two things running rampant as of now. Outside of this, there really isn't much I can change. While I do see a gaping hole to Charizard with HP Grass, I don't know if you just want to deal with that with Stealth Rocks and Scarf Jynx, which is still manageable. If you are seriously afraid of Rain teams, you could potentially run Mantine over seismitoad, to either outspeed and kill rain sweepers, or to absorb water attacks (with it's respective abilities), but I don't think that this is truly a necessary change.

Anyways, a great team! A very solid build! I hope that I helped~

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
a good rate
Yeah on paper I look really weak to Dark-types (Especially to Shiftry, thanks for pointing that out I completly forgot about that thing lol), but most of the time I can easily play around them by double switching to Metang and Seismitoad to lure them and have a chance to remove them from the field, although this isn't the best strategy so I'll test Gurdurr. This might make me weaker to stall teams and entry hazards though, but I'm sure I can play around that.

God bless BW, the gen where you lose if you don't have a good team matchup even if you are a good player :mad:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
if you have troubles with shiftry you can try running mandibuzz over missy as you already have duosion and scolipede to check fighting types. mandibuzz gives you a better answer against normal types such as kangaskhan and sub tauros. you should also run sw toad since it can revenge kill ludi in a pinch

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, so we just played (I am sure you are aware :p), and I think duosion should probs stick around, as you are already weak enough to hazard stacking without adding Gurdurr. I also think that rain dance is a huge waste of a slot on your toad, and that instead, you should use standard rain dance toad with substitute over rain dance (Sub/Sludge Bomb/Hydro Pump/EP also consider LO). This will not only serve to strengthen your match up vs rain teams, but should in theory give you something that lures in and beats Shiftry, Scolipede can deal with it early game, so it shouldn't be able to just start out 6-0 ing your team. I guess as you pointed out you could run signal beam on Duosion, as it can survive any attack once and kill with SB, however now your team gets donked by steel types. I guess if you make that switch I would recommend switching trick on Jynx to Focus Blast, as you can at least threaten Probo/Bastio/insert steel type here.

Or just do the above, lol. I still would recommend my Toad change though, as you said you struggle with rain!

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
if you have troubles with shiftry you can try running mandibuzz over missy as you already have duosion and scolipede to check fighting types. mandibuzz gives you a better answer against normal types such as kangaskhan and sub tauros. you should also run sw toad since it can revenge kill ludi in a pinch
Like always you always succeed to fix my teams, and I will ditch Misdreavus for Mandibuzz. While Misdreavus was cool to spinblock, the fact that rapid spinner weren't used much outside of the ladder for reasons we all know should've come to my mind lol. Mandibuzz helps quite a lot to fix by weakness to Dark-type, and abuse hazards itself as the bird force quite a lot of Pokemon out with Taunt/Toxic and Foul Play.

Charizard used Fire Blast!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The foe's Seismitoad lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Seismitoad fainted!
Soulgazer: SHIT

This is how we check Charizard folks.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Where's my shoutout? I inspired you to build this team :/

You mentioned that Duosion was used to check stall teams, but seeing as you already have Mandibuzz, this is probably unnecessary. I suggest something different to replace it. since Kangaskhan solves prwtty much all your problems, you can try replacing it with Kangaskhan, allowing you to deal with offensive teams much more easily. Otherwise you can try Life Orb Gardevoir which is pretty much a stop to rain teams thanks to Trace, with the added bonus of luring in Jynx's counters and beating them

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
I updated the OP with the final version of the team, even if probably no one cares :pirate:
EDIT: currently testing Probopass over Metang because I am too weak to Charizard.

Also, if anyone is interested to try out the Gardevoir version, here's the sets that I use that are different from the real version:

Over Duosion:

Gardevoir (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Destiny Bond Gardevoir is really impressive and I would like to suggest everyone to try it out; It's so good at luring Pokemon that are annoying to your team and can easily turn a lose to a win if used properly. Gardevoir also hits really hard, easily weakened the opponent's team for Jynx to sweep later in the game.

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

Standard SubToxic Seismitoad, Modest to still hit hard and has an awsome typing and ability, letting Seismitoad to set up a Substitute against a lot of walls and even some offensive ones like Swords Dance Samurott :). You can always play around with the 4th slot: some people likes Endeador while other even go with either Grass Knot and Sludge Bomb. Seismitoad is really versatile, so don't be afraid to try out everything on it!

Last edited:

ss234

bop.
Your team is v weak to charizard. I recommend you run nosepass > metang. Nosepass with eviolite is much better at beating special fire types such as charizard, taking only 33% max from a specs fire blast. Even HP grass does only ~50%, which is much better than seismitoad. Furthermore, nosepass still deals nicely with the birds that metang is there to deal with probably, such as swellow. Jynx too is nicely handled by the magnificent pokemon that is nosepass. Overall, this is quite a good team but I feel could definitely be improved with the addition of nosepass.

Also where is my shoutout??? >:[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)