Hey Metal Gear Solid fans! Ready for something stupid?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Famitsu had an advertisement saying that Kojima's next project would be revealed today at this website: http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/next/

Checking the source code beforehand revealed the words "MGS" in there as well as a bunch of other keywords including Kojima and Konami.

Today, a freaking COUNTDOWN went up on the website. They made us countdown to a countdown. You'll notice that a big 5 appears behind the countdown. Metal Gear Solid 5? Oh my! But that's not all.

If you check the actionscript in the Flash file, this countdown is actually going towards another countdown. And then another. And another. And another. That's right. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. The countdown will end on June 1st. Coincidently, that's the date of Microsoft's E3 Press Conference.

I just thought that if I should have to suffer through this bullshit, so should you. I can't believe this industry has taken the absurdity of "Announcements of Announcements" to such a ridiculous level.

After this level of teasing, I can't see anyone satisfied by anything less than Metal Gear Solid 5.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MGS3 was supposed to be the last MGS game.

MGS4 was supposed to be the last MGS game.

MGS5? Hey, Kojima might as well complete the trilogy of last MGS games! After looking at that countdown, the huge "5" flashing when the lightning strikes...its pretty obvious what this is about =\

Pretty much anything Kojima touches is going to turn to gold in the gaming market, so I am pretty excited about this announcement...although that can change pretty quickly lol.

Only 92 more hours to go!

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
As a huge Metal Gear fan I am anticipating this announcement though the last time they announced something it was just the iPod Touch MGS, and I still haven't played MGS4 because I can't justify purchasing a PS3 just for it, despite being a huge fan.

And as a side know I agree, these countdowns for countdowns for announcements are really starting to annoy me, I get why they use them, but what happened to surprise announcements?

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

MGS4 was supposed to be the last MGS game.

MGS5? Hey, Kojima might as well complete the trilogy of last MGS games! After looking at that countdown, the huge "5" flashing when the lightning strikes...its pretty obvious what this is about =\

Pretty much anything Kojima touches is going to turn to gold in the gaming market, so I am pretty excited about this announcement...although that can change pretty quickly lol.

Only 92 more hours to go!
I don't think you finished reading my post.

I guess there's no chance of Zone of the Enders 3 being announced from this?
Lord knows we're overdue for it.

I'd still be happy with MGS 5. I'm also hoping this isn't some ridiculous spinoff crap. Ya know?

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MGS3 was never slated by kojima to be the last mgs game

MGS4 i am confident will the the last metal gear solid, but not the last metal gear

Oh, good point AZ.
I could see a Raiden spin off in the works, although i'd prefer a totally new character

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
MGS4 i am confident will the the last metal gear solid, but not the last metal gear
Yeah, since we all know Raiden will be the new main character and Solid won't it doesn't feel right calling it Metal Gear Solid, he needs to come up with a new Metal Gear for Raiden. But forget them, will Otacon be back?!?!?!

Firestorm

The only evidence that goes fully in Raiden's favour is that GDC trailer. I'm still hoping MGS5 is set in WWII with The Boss and the Cobra Unit.

I wonder if Microsoft has snagged exclusivity of MGS 5, which would be quite a bitch-slap to Sony... considering the date of the website finally going live with its info and all. Only time will tell.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I wonder if Microsoft has snagged exclusivity of MGS 5, which would be quite a bitch-slap to Sony... considering the date of the website finally going live with its info and all. Only time will tell.
After missing out on MGS4 and having to watch it all on Youtube, this would be a miracle. To bad my 360 just got Red Ring the other day.

I just died a little inside. MGS4 is just about my favorite game ever (if you couldn't tell from my avatar), and I've been wondering what it would be like to build a game around the time period between 2 and 4, rescuing sunny from the patriots and all that shit.

After missing out on MGS4 and having to watch it all on Youtube, this would be a miracle. To bad my 360 just got Red Ring the other day.
I don't know if it would really be a miracle, as the MGS series with Solid Snake is finished... unless they wanted to get some sort of fresh start on the 360 or something. As Firestorm said, if it were to still involve the current MGS as we know it, it would have to involve Big Boss.

Firestorm

Highly, highly doubt that. There may be a 360 port but I expect MGS5, if released this generation, to also be on PS3. Konami must have spent a fortune on MGS4 and not using the engine again would be really costly. Unless of course Microsoft paid enough to compensate for that... which I again doubt.

I'm sure that this is MGS5. It's been a while now, and the counter hasn't changed from 5.

Anyway, judging by the empty field, I have a feeling that this will be set in WW2 with the The Boss/Joy as the central character. It has alot of potential, as hardly any of the storyline with the Cobras has been explored.

I doubt it, Kojima said in an interview that he gets really, really pissed off when people ask him if MGS4 is coming to the X360.

Firestorm

Er, I've never seen Kojima say that. Link? Seems foolish because every single game in the Metal Gear Solid series has received a re-release and there is definitely precedent for ports and remakes on different platforms.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
if this comes to be the case i am through with kojima

i am sick of what microsoft is doing to gaming

but yes, otherwise what Firestorm said

Firestorm

if this comes to be the case i am through with kojima

i am sick of what microsoft is doing to gaming

but yes, otherwise what Firestorm said
Hm? What do you mean by that? I quite like what Microsoft's been doing this generation actually. Last generation they had a terrible console from my point of view. This generation they've completely turned it around. Most of their exclusives is because Microsoft got in early and funded part of the development. This is the reason that tri-Ace (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean: The Last Hope) have been 360 exclusive for example.

Why would MGS3 have been the final? Where did you get that from? lol
It wouldn't make sense to stop Snake's story at the end of MGS2, since that turned into a giant set-up for MGS4.

If this is another MGS (MGS5), I hope it has Big Boss as the main character - He is the most badass, awesome character who-wears-an-eyepatch-and-has-a-beard ever. Because Snake's story is done so it can't be a continuation, right?

It seems like something bigger than the announcement for MGSTouch, so we'll just have to wait 2 weeks~ out and see.

Do you need to play the previous MG Solids in order to fully enjoy the next one in the series?
... Sorta. The plot wont seem as 'epic' if you don't know what happened in the last game, and there is of course myriad of references to past games. Playing MGS4 without playing MGS2 will leave you pretty confused at some points.

There's a box set of the first 3 out there!

Firestorm

Do you need to play the previous MG Solids in order to fully enjoy the next one in the series?
They're all in a continuous story. I guess MGS3 you could play before the rest, but seeing as its the best one in the series you might be setting yourself up for disappointment =) I went MGS The Twin Snakes (GCN) -> MGS2 Sons of Liberty (PS2) -> MSG3 Subsistence (PS2) -> MGS Portable Ops (PSP) -> MGS4 Guns of the Patriots (PS3).

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
Anyway, judging by the empty field, I have a feeling that this will be set in WW2 with the The Boss/Joy as the central character. It has alot of potential, as hardly any of the storyline with the Cobras has been explored.
I kinda get that feeling too but unless The Boss or someone in the Cobra unit used a sword in WW2 I still have my guesses pinned on Raiden being the new main character. Remember the E3 2005 video with Snake and Raiden fighting for the Main Character seat? Well Snake is gone so Raiden can get it now.

But if it was a WW2 MG I'd like to know more about the members of the Cobra unit, especially The Pain. How does he control those hornets? And maybe it would explain why everyone but The Boss blows up when you beat them(where those already explained, I don't remember it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)