HEY WHAT'S GOING ON OH MY GOD (introduction to a forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a forum get a late nomination for worst name change of 2010? Or am I gonna get yelled at that this isn't Cong or Firebot or a merger, so it isn't a name change?

Firebot does have a tendency to reach the pits but always somewhat stabilized. What made everyone think it was on the decline for good?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Once you make something a subforum it sorta makes it hard to be involved in music discussion on smogon unless you have a particular interest in music, and check the music forum every day.

I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. At least give it a bit more time.

Have a nice day.

read through the fucking thread before you ask a question or decide to grace us with your divinely inspired insight. if you're going to post that things are too cluttered now or some other dumb shit, shut up. ok.
awww what eloquently misaimed pretension/vituperation

stickies help you get to the best topics quickly, threads like the comics thread and youtube thread that are going to be used all the time should still be stickied; convenience for users is not a bad idea

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
awww what eloquently misaimed pretension/vituperation

stickies help you get to the best topics quickly, threads like the comics thread and youtube thread that are going to be used all the time should still be stickied; convenience for users is not a bad idea
upgrade to a browser with bookmarks

bookmarks are inconvenient (except for one for smogon forums in general), wheares intelligent stickies are convenient; bookmarking individual threads would be ridiculous, no one should have to care about keeping track of threads that much

I concur with CaptKirby.

Stickies would be convenient for the entire community, and keeping track of all those threads would be a total hassle for everyone. I mean, they were put up originally for a reason, right? Sure, maybe we could cut down on some of them for convenience but I'm sure most of them should stay.

Anyway, the only argument you guys have really made against it is that "we don't really like it, our way is better" which is ridiculous.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i don't want to scroll and i'm bigger than you so i win

We are not overloading on stickies again. People who visit many forums are conditioned to skip over stickies as they are usually for topics with static content that doesn't change much. If the thread has enough activity that people would want to "bookmark" it, it will be on the front page or they'll access it through their subscriptions page.

man would there be any way to expand the amount of threads per page that can be viewed

because man this place is going to be overloaded with all sorts of threads and tbqh going to the next page or (even worse) trying to find what page a thread you want to post in or check on is a real huge pain

I am pretty sure what people are "conditioned" to do has never affected the quality of the sticky content here. I do not think there is any good reason not to have the youtube+comics+photo threads stickied, they are all active enough to be docked up there without it being close to "overloaded".

"I'm bigger than you" may be the worst argument I have ever heard. Glad to see you guys are starting out this forum with the proper dickishness.

Firestorm

glad to see you still can't take a joke. If they're as active as you say, they will not need to be stickied. We will be adding some of those "megathreads" to an index with the rules thread. If you'd like that available sooner, you can make the list and send it to me. Otherwise, it'll be up sometime tomorrow night once I have the time to make it (unless someone else wants to do it!).

There are not many jokes that lack truth, that was why I "did not take it". You were glib, but I would bet anything you also really think it. I have no idea what this megathreads thing is supposed to be, but it sounds like a worse idea than simple stickies.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
glad to see you still can't take a joke. If they're as active as you say, they will not need to be stickied. We will be adding some of those "megathreads" to an index with the rules thread. If you'd like that available sooner, you can make the list and send it to me. Otherwise, it'll be up sometime tomorrow night once I have the time to make it (unless someone else wants to do it!).
That sounds really easy to do, but I can't edit shit any longer. Sorry.

And I agree that we don't need a million sticky threads, but the Photo Album is the one obvious choice to be up there.

man would there be any way to expand the amount of threads per page that can be viewed

because man this place is going to be overloaded with all sorts of threads and tbqh going to the next page or (even worse) trying to find what page a thread you want to post in or check on is a real huge pain
This is a wonderful idea and I really hope that it's considered.

natalie

property of alex
the photo album won't be so active if people have to trawl through pages of posts to find it again, amidst the collective posts of three deceased subforums. voting for sticky!

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i do agree somewhat that the sticky threads were active BECAUSE they were stickies - a lot of people viewed them because they were right there in bold at the top of the page, and the nature of those threads is that when you have viewed it, you contribute. however, you must remember that these threads werent created as stickies, they still garnered enough attention to be stickied in the first place... so they don't need to be stickied. does that make sense? i think making threads sticky just for convenience is something we want to avoid - stickying is for threads that are important but dont regularly get bumped. firestorm is right, you can put threads you like in your subscriptions or use a browser bookmark (im not sure but vbulletin might even allow rss feeds of threads)

oh also yes increasing threads per page has been proposed and i like the idea. you can actually do it yourself by adding
Code:
&pp=1000
to the forum URL (it doesnt actually show 1000, i think the cap is 100 or something). but it would be nice to expand it by default

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The convenience argument has already been made, but with the Photo Album, you also have to keep in mind that the album has existed as long as Smogon forums have, and it has always had its own Smogon webpage. The comics and gifs and YouTube threads are nowhere near as important to the social aspects of this community as the photo album thread is. It should be stickied.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The comics and gifs and YouTube threads are nowhere near as important to the social aspects of this community as the photo album thread is. It should be stickied.
amen

I think three stickies is enough: any more and you risk people glazing over them which you really don't want when one of them is a rules thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)