ORAS PU Hi I'm new here (Peaked #4 on ladder 33-2)

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Introduction:
With the recent suspect I have begun playing PU, I was able to obtain reqs fairly easily with a few sample teams however since the suspect was at the time coming to a close I decided to try building since I wanted to learn the tier. Offense is certainly the best style in PU and its the playstyle I typically play so that was the type of team I attempted to make. I ended up having great success on ladder and was told by several people that the team looked good so I just decided that this was the next step to making the team as strong as possible.
Teambuilding Process

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit
Stoutland was a mon I really wanted to build with as I saw how absolutely devastating it could be when I laddered for reqs. This set is standard band providing the team with an amazing wall breaker immediately, stoutlands decent speed tier and natural bulk allowing it to not only savage balance cores, but also have a solid matchup against offense.

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
Since stoutland really appreciates rocks being up I decided to go with one of the best rockers in the tier. Golem provides the team with a nice electric immunity and an effective dedicated lead which almost always can start a game with rocks or a kill. Golem also helps the teams matchup versus electric types, rapidash and dodrio. Weakness policy was added on to allow my team to have priority after pawniard was replaced by Grumpig to give my team priority. (2xTheTap)

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
The next thing I noticed about my team was that my matchup against ice types was absolutely awful so I decided to add pawn as a blanket check and win con. Pawniard helps my team deal with stall better and also gave me priority which at this point the team desperately desired. Pawniard is probably the mon I would be most willing to change as it rarely ever does too much and seems semi awkward on the team.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
The next weakness I felt the need to address was my crippling fighting weakness, Mr. mime provided me with a check to fighting types and a great form of speed control. Hwish provides immense utility for this team, Stoutland and Golem are usually the recipients as both take considerable damage preforming their initial roles. Mime also provides the team with a solid revenge killer which was severely lacking from the team.

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Aerial Ace
With eggy being banned and this team having no great way of dealing with stunfisk or ground types as a whole Leafeon was a great fourth mon. Banded leafeon not only allowed me to punish ground types but also gave me a much better matchup against HO since bullet seed allows leafeon to stop golem. Leafeon really does a great job of denting physical walls making it so stoutland has a much easier time clicking stab, also do due a good level of natural bulk leafeon was quite often able to sponge a hit or two from offensive teams and do significant damage.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
Finally I decided Zebstrika would be a great last as it gave me a much better matchup against offense and a more reliable way if checking threats like jumpluff and floatzel. One of the main benefits Zeb added was consistently allowing me to lure walls like stunfisk or roselia both of which gave my wall breakers free nukes. I decided magnet was the best option here as the mons I was looking to check didn't really require me to have the LO power and with no hazard removal I didn't want to have to deal with recoil.

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
Grumpig was added to the team to give me a better matchup versus Machoke and Monferno. The spread allows me to outspeed adamant monferno making Adamant stoutland and monferno much less of a threat. Colbur allows me to also gives me a more concrete way of revenging/checking pawniard.

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Superpower
Simipour was added as the better speed tier makes for a much better cleaner while also allowing me to better handle fast scarfers like dodrio and sawsbuck. Simipour also helps the team handle rotom-f better by giving me a much more concrete way to revenge it and resist ice STAB.

So yeah thats the team, this might have been a rought RMT considering it is my first and I never really was good at longer posts so sorry if this was awful hopefully you like the team enough to not care lol.

Sir Kay : You made major contributions to this team and I really appreciate it man thanks for helping me get into PU n_n
Killintime R0ady ~Volbeatdown~ : Shit ghosts good frens to ladder with

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

Golem @ Custap Berry
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Aerial Ace

Zebstrika @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Bullet Seed

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi Thisbemyalt, solid team, it's cool to see a good builder getting interested in PU, so I'll help you as much as I can with this team. Offensive teams don't really need to fully account for everything so I'll just stick to set changes or Pokemon changes that won't change the team structure at all. The main issues I found were your lack of switch-ins and reliable ways to deal with Floatzel, especially the Life Orb variant, which can even bypass Zebstrika with Aqua Jet once it's weakened a bit, same goes for Regice, which Pawniard can't really switch into, or revengekill after a Rock Polish, as it gets obliterated by Focus Blast and gets hit for plenty of damage by Ice Beam and Thunderbolt anyways. You also lack good switch-ins for Monferno, which is faster and can 1HKO Stoutland, while it is able to tank both Leafeon and Zebstrika when at full life and strike back 1HKOing them too most of the time, surely when running Mach Punch. Monferno can also find plenty switch in opportunities on Pawniard and Leafeon itself especially when locked into X-Scissor. So yeah let's go into the changes:

Yache SD Leafeon > CB Leafeon : I'm of the opinion that you don't really need to run Choice Band on Leafeon in this case, as you already carry a wallbreaker in Stoutland and an actual fast win con would benefit you hugely, especially since you said Pawniard has been underwhelming. But I'm suggesting you to run this set mainly because of Yache Berry, which allows you to bait and be a soft check to annoying threats such as Floatzel but also things such as Choice Scarf Rotom-F when at full HP. Swords Dance Leafeon also takes advantage more of Healing Wish by Mr. Mime, and your team structure in general, as Leafeon still deals considerably high damage without a boosting item, and it can use things such as Stunfisk as set-up fodders, becoming way more threatening than a Choice Band set. Also it's still a decent lead against Golem, you can't prevent it from setting up Stealth Rock, but you still deal with it fairly easily, and in exchange, differently from when running Choice Band, after you KO Golem, you're not going to be locked in Bullet Seed and forced to switch out, losing momentum and possibly a Pokemon, given how offensive this team is.

Choice Band Monferno > Pawniard: As a second change, seeing how you now carry an additional win condition in Swords Dance Leafeon and Pawniard has been underwhelming for you, I suggest directly replacing Pawniard for something more slot efficient such as Choice Band Monferno. I choose to suggest you Choice Band as an item for Monferno as you don't really need a second win con at all, and Choice Banded Mach Punch clutches out a lot of KOs on stuff such as Rotom-F, Regice, Floatzel, etc., also allows you to create VoltTurn chains with Zebstrika which is crispy to gain momentum for Stoutland and Leafeon, especially key for Leafeon as it finds set up opportunities on stuff Monferno struggles with such as Stunfisk. Overall, Monferno will provide you a better check to Stoutland and Bouffalant, as it can actually 1HKO them differently from Pawniard, which yes is a resist but can't switch into them anyway and can't 1HKO. Monferno also gives you a better Pawniard check itself, as Pawniard seems a bit shaky for that. And most importantly, differently from Pawniard, Monferno isn't fodder to opposing Monferno which you don't have switch-ins for as I already said. That said, Monferno still keeps priority in Mach Punch, and is threatening to bulkier teams because of its STAB combo which is resisted by few Pokemon and allows it to break through most physical walls such as Tangela.

Hope I helped.

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor

Monferno @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-Turn

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heya, this is pretty good and it's nice to see Golem on a team without a hazard remover for once, but there are definitely some things to optimize. First of all, Magnemite really wants me to mention how Magnet Zebstrika sucks. In general I don't mind it but you might find it a little weak, the only reason I won't flat out suggest a change is because you really need it not worn down so you can check Floatzel, Life Orb puts you in jet range faster. As for actual changes, I agree that SD Leafeon is more optimal than CB here and that Pawniard needs to go. However, I disagree with CB Monferno. While it gives you an Ice check, it's not solving the Water issue while you have better counterplay versus things like Regice. It's also nice vs Normals but I don't think they're the biggest issue right here? You have more pressing threats. While more unorthodox, Choice Scarf Politoed gives you a nice check to fires, ices and waters while not being semi slow and exploitable like Monferno. Dual Scarfers on offense is pretty cool, with the only real downside the remaining regice issue (+2 is faster than Toed). Psyshock on Mime should generally help with that and Roselia and Bouffalant, it's small but worth it here. Overall Regice is an issue and the situation isn't ideal but what're you gonna do with a Golem+Stoutland+Mr. Mime offensive core. It has trouble setting up, Mime is faster and can revenge if it's taken SR+whatever you got off on it, and you could always try keeping Golem's sturdy. If that's not enough, run FLAME CHARGE > OVERHEAT ON ZEBSTRIKA GETS OFF 2 HITS GUARANTEED GOOD I SWEAR.

Oh and as a small thing run Soundproof Mime bc you're more Chatot weak now. I'd also give Jolly Stoutland some serious consideration, the power drop is annoying but Adamant Monferno, Grumpig and other Stoutland just became way less of an issue. Anyway, grats on making a cool team.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double Edge

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
I implemented SD Leafeon onto a new version of the team and experimented with monferno already but wasn't really feeling it. Tomorrow or whenever I have some time I will be trying out Politoad and if that works out LO Zebstrika since I won't rely on zeb nearly as much. Thanks Megazard and Raiza for the suggestions hopefully they will really work out n_n

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
On mobile, will edit in a full rate soon!

E: Hi, Thisbemyalt - nice offensive team you have here and congrats on your peak! This team is pretty nice, and I really like how it is a HO team that can beat other HO leads. You have CB Bullet Seed Leafeon for Golem leads and Rock Blast Golem for Venipede leads, which is a cool way to prevent hazards from ever going up. But, there are some changes I would make here, with the most important of these being focused on helping you beat your weaknesses to Monferno / Floatzel / Rotom-F.

The very first thing I want to change is Zebstrika's Magnet. Reason being, Magnet HP Ice cannot 2HKO Vibrava reliably, unlike LO:

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Vibrava: 177-213 (58.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
252 SpA (Magnet) Zebstrika Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Vibrava: 136-164 (44.8 - 54.1%) -- 41.4% chance to 2HKO

Getting rid of Vibrava on the switch is important with Zebstrika (although it requires prediction), especially because if you're going to explode with Golem, you won't have any other chances to reset SR mid-game. The same problem applies to Vullaby, too: it's a common defogger which requires Zebstrika to use LO in order to beat it reliably without having Stealth Rock removed after Golem has already fainted.

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 260-307 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs
252 SpA Magnet Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Magnet --> Life Orb

The next issue I noticed is that this doesn't have enough counter play for offensive Water-types, especially LO Floatzel. Basically, LO Hydro Pump OHKOes Pawniard (or its Aqua Jet outspeeds Sucker), Mr. Mime cannot switch into Hydro Pump without being killed by Aqua Jet on the following turn, which means you're forced to preserve either Mr. Mime or Zebstrika in order to check it, while at the same time there's not a guarantee it won't switch out of Mr. Mime or Zebstrika.
There are a number of ways to fix this, or at the very least to make this problem less prominent. It's possible to use Scarf Politoed like Zard suggested as Dual Scarf Offense, or you can change out Mr. Mime for a Scarfer that resists Floatzel's STAB Hydro / AJ, like Scarf Simipour. If you stick with Mr. Mime, it needs Soundproof for Chatot and Psyshock to give your team better chances against something like Roselia, which is a real pain if it's running Powder + Speed + HP Fighting for Pawniard. But, if you decide to change out Mr. Mime for Scarf Simipour, it'd help against offensive Waters, while outspeeding and hitting other Scarfers that are faster than Mr. Mime super effectively, like Scarf Floatzel / Dodrio / Sawsbuck / Modest Raichu / speed-tie against other Simis.

Option 1:
Keep
and add:

Filter --> Soundproof
Psychic --> Psyshock

Option 2:
Replace
with Scarf

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

Scarf Simipour keeps the team's faster check to Scarf Rotom-F in tact (which is really nice because your only resist to Rotom-F's Blizzard is Pawniard here), given it's able to beat Rotom-F with Superpower / Torrent Hydro Pump after SR:

252 SpA Torrent Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 210-247 (87.1 - 102.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Simipour Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-F: 160-190 (66.3 - 78.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Another gaping hole your team has is its weakness to Monferno. It is able to counter Pawniard / Leafeon, and can check Golem if Sturdy is broken / Adamant Stoutland if SR is down with Close Combat (which means you should use Aerial Ace here if you go with CB Leafeon as a Monferno lure -- 252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Monferno: 214-254 (79.5 - 94.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Right now, you're basically relying on Mr. Mime switching into Monferno's Close Combat / Mach Punch, but such a play may be obvious to your opponent, letting them hit Mr. Mime with Flare Blitz on the switch.

So, to improve your chances against Monferno and Rotom-F, you can change:

CB

X-Scissor --> Aerial Ace

Adamant --> Jolly (Optional change, but you can catch an Adamant Monferno using CC against you with a Jolly CB Frustration and OHKO):

252 Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Monferno: 249-294 (92.5 - 109.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

-->
or

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn / Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Eviolite Monferno is in my opinion the better change here (adding something else over Pawniard at all will decrease your weakness to Monferno in general), as it retains emergency priority for your team to beat faster threats like Sand Stoutland / Rain Golduck (if they've taken prior damage), while at the same time taking Rotom-F's Blizzards for your team more effectively than Pawniard can.
You can opt out for CB Monferno like Raiza offered, but if you do that, you should use Yache SD Leafeon in tandem with this change because CB Monferno still doesn't take Blizzards very well (whereas Eviolite Monferno avoids that 2HKO and can therefore switch into this more than once if necessary). Regardless, U-Turn Monferno forms a momentum core with Zebstrika's Volt Switch, which is pretty great for CB Leafeon / CB Stoutland picking up kills.
If you choose Grumpig here as a better Rotom-F / Monferno answer (176 Timid outspeeds Adamant 252 Monferno) you should use WP Sucker Golem alongside this to preserve priority against various speedy threats.

If
then

Custap Explosion --> WP Sucker Punch

Lastly, I had the idea that Golem can be replaced by Stunfisk in order to spread paralysis around (especially if you use Twave Grumpig with Stunfisk), so that your strong breakers (i.e. Stoutland / Leafeon) can take advantage of your opponent's slowed team, while at the same time handling threats to Leafeon better, like Zebstrika. But, I like the idea of keeping this team hyper offensive by using Golem, so this is purely optional.
Another optional change you could make would be to use Jumpluff over Leafeon, which you can do if you notice you're being beaten by LO Simipour. Finally, if you think you are being beaten by boosting / weather-based threats too often and you need a blanket check, you could try Kadabra over Pawniard. I've always liked Kadabra + Golem HO, but this is up to you.
Golem @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch / Pursuit

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Bullet Seed

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

In any case, great team, and if you want to see another team that pulls off this same build very successfully, you can check out Galbia's Golem HO team in sample teams for quick reference.

Last edited:

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
So quick edit, I adjusted the team to incorporate most of the changes that 2xTheTap suggested as after testing the team I found that it was a much more consistent team if played well. The only change I made from his version was making stoutland adamant as, while it is certainly an option, I found that my matchup against monferno had significantly improved and I really liked the power adamant stoutland has. Finally I am leaving the original team and reasoning in the OP in case someone likes that version more. In the importable for the original I made small changes such as fixing Mime and making Stoutland jolly since that version really needed it, I also kept magnet on Zeb since it was my only reliable RK for floatzel and magnet makes it much harder for Zeb to be warn down. Thanks for all the help guys let me know if there is anything else n_n. S/o to ~Volbeatdown~ for helping test the new versions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)