High Speed Hive [Previous B/W1 team, update advise needed]

I've always loved monotype teams, especially when they're monobug teams. I'm not too fond of playing monotype in its official instead I prefer to test my mettle in standard play, I know having a monotype team in standard is a deathwish but my victories feel shallow if I'm not purposely putting myself at a disadvantage.

This team was made back in the B/W1 meta so the sets might be slightly outdated and my team isn't as familiar with the new threats that B/W2 has brought so some advice on updating would be more than appreciated in that regard.

TEAM BUILDING THEORY

Scolipede (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Spikes
- Rock Slide/ Toxic Spikes
- Earthquake

When it comes to making a lead, especially one with such a frail general archtype you either need A) A high speed hazards/set-up pokemon like Ninjask/Scolipede or B) Forretress/Shuckle for stall+hazards. Due to the fast paced speed and high stats of OU, Scolipede fit the job better due to the lack of immunity to Scolipede's coverage given the 3 attacking moves, though with the lack of overall damage output from my team I'm contemplating putting in T-Spikes to further support my team offensivly.
Focus Sash + Swarm would be the optimal item + nature setup as a lead to properly abuse Megahorn's STAB+Swam bonus and covers a large array of leads, rockslide takes care of levitate users that resist M-horn, EQ takes out fire/rock/ground/ele(quite rare) leads. Maximum offesnsive investment was put into scolipede due to Scolipede having rather mediocre HP and defensive base stats. Getting out as much damage before getting blown away is scolipede's main objective. Pretty much the cliche max offensive rush lead.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Hera has always been a great back-up sweeper and revenge killer, he has the standard scarf set and EV investment. I chose Slash over pursuit for damage purposes and its has a nice crit-rate which is always a plus. Now with Hera's DW ability released I've been contemplating on switching guts for moxie but that would move my team from non-DW to DW with only one pokemon to benefit from it while going against other teams that can fully abuse multiple DW abilities.

Escavalier (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Return

Escavalier is a big bulky tank, both offensively and defensively, his only glaring weakness is his x4 fire weakness, not only esca but forry also wrecks my team synergy with both of them having double fire weakness. I'm thinking about swapping out Esca for a CBScizor or a ScarfDurant but Esca has a much higher attack potential and much better damage output with similar coverage while also not needing to waste turns setting up. If I could find any other work-arounds for this glaring problem I'd be more than appreciative.

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Morning Sun/Roost

Volcarona is my defensive tank in both special and physical, with a natural special bulk most of the EVs were spent into HP and Def for more survival and stalling purposes, also this HP spread allows for 2 switch ins on rocks. Some speed EVs were put into the spread to beat most if not all base 120s after a +1 from QDance. Morning Sun was chosen over Roost due to Sun Teams having presence in OU, but due to the lack of drought leads recently I'm considering switching back to roost.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 36 SAtk / 44 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rapid Spin

While using a special attack on a defensive pokemon with quite negligable s.atk atacks stats seems farfetched, forry is able to serve a niche threat check and counter that my other bug types would be able to fill. shifting 36 EVs into Special Attack will guarantee a 2HKO on Salamence, Gliscor, and Landorus which would otherwise stall or steamroll my team with sheer power. Stealth rocks is the only needed hazard due to scoli covering my spikes needs.

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Trait: Wonder Guard
Lonely Nature
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Shadow Sneak

While shedinja is a highly exploitable and easy to K0 pokemon espceacially in OU with weather effects and entry hazards, he is the only bug type that can perform as a spin blocker. I preferred using lum berry on shed due to the high population of status spreaders, and I can also safely switch in on toxic spikes without having to worry. Though with so many ways to KO poor sheddy, I need to make it top priority to keep my Forry alive and eliminate all entry hazard users for shed to be of any use. Protect for moveset scanning, shadow sneak over sucker punch due to tons of status spreads always switching in on shed, SD to get a free +2 when I resist all attacks and force their switch, and X-Scissor for the best available
non-priority STAB.

Sorry for the long drawn out review on my team, I know I have some glaring weaknesses on my team and I realise I have some conflicting synergy with my pokemon. I'm stuck on what to edit and or remove because of the high restrictions that bug types as a whole have been plagued with.

IMPORT:
Scolipede (F) @ Focus Sash Trait: Swarm
- Megahorn
- Spikes
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Escavalier (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Return

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Morning Sun

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 36 SAtk / 44 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rapid Spin

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Trait: Wonder Guard
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Shadow Sneak

Seeing as that BW2 introduced Genesect into the fray, I would recommend giving him a shot on this team. He has a much higher speed stat than Heracross, and while Choice Scarfers usually are troubled with being locked into one move, Genesect can simply U-turn away to keep momentum. Other than that, I might suggest a Quiver Dance Venomoth over Scolipede for the lead slot. They clearly operate in two different ways, but I think that Sleep Powder is an amazing niche that is worth a shot! Good luck!

Here are the sets:

Venomoth (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass

(EV'd to outspeed Scarf 108's after two Quiver Dances, rest in bulk)

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

I would also encourage experimenting with different Venomoth items and moves, one might work better for your team than the other. You can also change Genesect's nature to Naive or Hasty to not inhibit U-Turn's power, but I prefer the extra bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)