Hitmonchan

QC: boltsandbombers / metaphysical / Disjunction
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

Hitmonchan is able to set itself apart from other Pokemon in the NU metagame with its Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch, which allows it to revenge kill Pokemon such as Shiftry more effectively than Gurdurr can, as well as a boosted Ice Punch that allows it to take on Pokemon such as Golurk more effectively. It also can successfully support many teams, as its access to Rapid Spin allows it to remove opposing entry hazards; additionally, it resists Stealth Rock, which is one of its main appeals as a spinner. Hitmonchan also sports a high Attack stat and has the appropriate coverage moves to deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that easily take its STAB moves, such as Vileplume and Golurk. On the downside, it faces major competition as a Fighting-type from Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, and Hariyama, all of which have access to Knock Off to take on Ghost-types. Sawk is also able to survive any one hit with Sturdy but doesn't have access to priority, Gurdurr can make use of Bulk Up to take multiple hits along with the help of Eviolite but is slower than Hitmonchan, and Hariyama is able to check a multitude of offensive threats in the NU metagame. Other spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol and Sandslash also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as the former has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, while the latter has Knock Off to beat spinblockers. Hitmonchan also struggles to take on bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist-XL, which can prevent Rapid Spin and are immune to its STAB moves. Hitmonchan's Speed tier also sets it back, as it's unable to outspeed a lot of common offensive Pokemon such as Scyther, and its poor Defense stat leaves it unable to take a lot of physical hits.

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb / Fist Plate
ability: Iron Fist
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's main STAB move and grants it a relatively reliable form of passive recovery. High Jump Kick can be used for added power, but it runs the risk of having Hitmonchan lose 50% of its health if it misses or a Ghost-type switches in, and it doesn't gain a boost from Iron Fist like Drain Punch does. High Jump Kick should only be used with Fist Plate, as Hitmonchan can't afford the recoil from Life Orb without added recovery from Drain Punch. Mach Punch, with the help of its +1 priority, can pick off foes such as Tauros and Shiftry. Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to hit Pokemon such as Vileplume and Claydol, which can take its STAB moves; it is also able to 2HKO common spinblockers such as Rotom and Haunter. Rapid Spin allows Hitmonchan to remove entry hazards from its side of the field. Earthquake is an option that allows Hitmonchan to take on one of its biggest checks in Garbodor and prevent it from setting up Spikes, although it loses out on other coverage.

Set Details
========

Hitmonchan makes use of maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature, which allows it to outspeed certain Pokemon such as Claydol and deal as much damage as possible with the help of Life Orb. A Jolly nature can also be used to allow Hitmonchan to outspeed Pokemon such as Shiftry, but it misses out on certain KOs, such as the OHKO on Claydol with Ice Punch. Fist Plate can also be used to prevent Life Orb recoil, but it only boosts the power of Hitmonchan's Fighting-type attacks; on the other hand, Assault Vest can be used to improve Hitmonchan's Special Defense, but it loses out on much-needed power. Iron Fist boosts the power of all of Hitmonchan's punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Punch. An EV spread of 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe can be used to give Hitmonchan more bulk while still allowing it to outspeed Torterra and Pawniard.

Usage Tips
========

Drain Punch is usually Hitmonchan's move of choice, as it gains boosts from STAB and Iron Fist and recovers Hitmonchan's health, allowing it to survive throughout the game. Hitmonchan can pick off weakened foes with an Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch; if need be, it can also be saved if the opponent has a setup sweeper such as Klinklang to revenge kill it. If the opponent has gotten up entry hazards on Hitmonchan's side of the field, it should make it a point to remove them with Rapid Spin. If the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Rotom or Mismagius, Hitmonchan should use Ice Punch in order to weaken it, making it easier to use Rapid Spin late-game. Despite Hitmonchan's high Special Defense, it shouldn't repeatedly switch into strong attacks. Instead, it should be safely brought into battle via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn from Pokemon such as Lanturn and Xatu.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that are weak to entry hazards, such as Scyther and Magmortar, appreciate Hitmonchan's ability to clear the battlefield with Rapid Spin. Skuntank is a great partner for Hitmonchan, as it is able to take on Psychic-types that threaten Hitmonchan and is able to trap Ghost-types, which can spinblock and include some of Hitmonchan's best checks, such as Mismagius. It can also check Mega Audino, which is one of Hitmonchan's biggest checks. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Rhydon and Golurk are helpful to Hitmonchan, as Stealth Rock and Spikes allow Hitmonchan to pick up necessary KOs, such as the 2HKO with Ice Punch on defensive Vileplume after Stealth Rock damage. Pokemon that resist Flying-type moves, such as Klinklang and Carracosta, are helpful to check Flying-type threats to Hitmonchan.

Other Options
=============

A boosting set with Agility is an option, though Hitmonchan is still relatively weak and it is outclassed by other Pokemon in this role, such as Rhydon. Thunder Punch can be used to take on Pokemon such as Mantine, but forgoing Ice Punch leaves Hitmonchan unable to deal much damage to Pokemon such as Golurk and Vileplume. Hitmonchan can make use of Close Combat to deal more damage to its targets, but it loses out on the recovery that Drain Punch gives. Foresight allows Hitmonchan to spin against Ghost-types, but it loses out on coverage. If Hitmonchan is using Fist Plate, it can also use Fling, which equates to an 80-Base Power Dark-type move, to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius, as well as Psychic-types such as Mesprit. The combination of Substitute + Focus Punch can be used to avoid status and get off huge damage, but then Hitmonchan loses out on Rapid Spin, which is its main niche. Hitmonchan can make use of a Choice Band, and while it is mainly outclassed by Sawk, Hitmonchan sets itself apart with its Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Mismagius, Rotom, and Golurk not only prevent Hitmonchan from using Rapid Spin but also are immune to Hitmonchan's STAB moves. Fortunately, Hitmonchan is able to deal respectable damage to them with Ice Punch.

**Poison-types**: Garbodor and Weezing take very little damage from all of Hitmonchan's attacks. Both of the two can set up Toxic Spikes on Hitmonchan, and the former can also stack Spikes with the help of Rocky Helmet and Aftermath and the latter can severely cripple Hitmonchan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Fairy-types**: Granbull and Mega Audino both take very little damage from Hitmonchan's attacks. The former can cripple Hitmonchan's switch-in with Thunder Wave, while the latter can take advantage of Hitmonchan and set up Calm Mind on it.

**Psychic-types**: Musharna and Mesprit can take multiple attacks from Hitmonchan with ease, and both can OHKO it with their given STAB moves. Musharna can also use Hitmonchan as setup fodder, while Mesprit can set up Stealth Rock on it.

**Flying-types**: Pokemon such as Scyther and Pelipper, though the former is threatened by Ice Punch, can tank Hitmonchan's STAB moves and retaliate with their given super effective STAB moves.

Last edited:
Never used or seen Agility Hitmonchan. Not convinced it's all that viable - it doesn't hit as hard as you would want to be honest:

252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Exeggutor: 276-325 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Can't even OHKO an offensive mon with a super-effective coverage move, even after SR it's only a range. Can't realistically see this thing sweeping too often to be honest. And, perhaps more importantly, doesn't Swords Dance Combusken fill a similar role but do it much better because it has a secondary STAB and can boost its attack to get past walls?

I agree in terms of sweeping capabilities Agility is very poor, especially when you consider that both Combusken and Rock Polish Rhydon are way more potent late-game cleaners. Hitmonchan should be spinning or else its outclassed.

There's some things in the overview that show me you lack meta knowledge too, like stating that Claydol uses Stealth Rock and Kabutops uses Knock Off (Stone Edge or Waterfall already does enough damage to Ghosts). Ghost-types don't take very little damage from its attacks either, as Life Orb Ice Punch still a good chunk to Rotom, Mismagius, and Haunter. Also make sure you slash Adamant nature too.

Bolts edit: Adamant should be the only slash, Jolly should be in set details at the most. To Dundies - please fix up these errors regarding metagame information, I'd rather not reassign.
I also dont think Agility is worth a set, but if you can convince me/others then go ahead.

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
"Hitmonchan sports a high Attack stat and along with its coverage moves, it can deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that check it, such as Vileplume and Golurk."
-Neither of these Check hitmonchan, both are 2hko by ice punch

Mention Hitmonchan has access to priority unlike Sawk but has more speed than gurdurr

"Other Rapid Spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol and Kabutops also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as the former also has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, while the latter can deal with spinblockers thanks to its strong dual STAB moves."
get rid of mention of kabu imo, it cant really get past gourgiest, Claydol is enough info

"Hitmonchan also struggles to take on Ghost-types such as Mismagius and Gourgeist-XL, who can prevent its Rapid Spin and take little damage from most of Hitmonchan's attacks."
Hitmonchan 2hkos all ghsots besides def misdreavus and gorugiest super tho, idk if this is a valid point
Slash Assault vest, I find it more practical and common than fist plate anyway. possibly get rid of fist plate mention entirely

"Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to deal a decent amount of damage
2hko or 1hko Pokemon such as Vileplume, Golurk, and Claydol, that can take on its STAB moves."

"Slower Pokemon with access to Volt Switch or U-turn such as Lanturn and Xatu are able to take on attacks that Hitmonchan is weak to and bring Hitmonchan into battle safely."
True of like every pokemon ever, not needed imo
"Stealth Rock allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO defensive Vileplume with Ice Punch after it takes damage from Stealth Rock."

252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 192-229 (54.2 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
you underestimate the power

This is all for now, im sure ill be back with more later, I think this will need a good bit more of work. When all is said and done tho ill give my QC ;)

Deejles

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do not get rid of the Fist Plate mention entirely whatsoever, it is staying as a slash. I don't agree with slashing AV either, Hitmonchan really needs the extra boost in power from either LO or Fist Plate, AV is fine to mention in set details. Just because AV is more common does not mean it should be slashed, and I don't see how its more practical than LO or Fist Plate.

I'll look at this for a full check later.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Uh I 100% disagree with removing the mention of Fist Plate, as Hitmonchan really needs the power and Assault Vest makes it do really shitty damage. Also I would like to see Hi Jump Kick mentioned on the set somewhere, whether slashed with Drain Punch or in Set Comments is up to you and other QC. Also add Foresight, Fling with Fist Plate (it's good because you hit Psychic Types like Mesprit on the switch), and SubPunch to OO.

I will give this another look once you implement Deej's stuff

FUCK YOU BOLTS

:^)

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
I don't really understand the appeal of fist plate. It only boosts its fighting moves by 1.2 and Life orb isnt such a big deal with recovery through Drain punch in its arsenal. I would rather use Life orb>AV>Choice Band>Fist plate in that order. Perhaps we can ask the QC team about their opinions, but I feel like it is a suboptimal item (it cant even 2hko Vileplume, while at least AV can tank some special hits)

I would only mention fist plate is there is a /fling option because then it is actually useful as a 90bp dark move. But for the basic set I wouldn't mention it.

AV has 80 bp with fling though ;D.

Last edited:
The main appeal of Fist Plate is that you don't have recoil damage on Rapid Spin. When you use that move with a Life Orb you're normally doing more damage to yourself than the opponent, which really sucks.

I'd emphasise that Life Orb allows you to 2HKO several Ghost-types, and without it Pursuit support from Skuntank or Liepard becomes more necessary.

EDIT: also I like Assault Vest myself, although I feel Assault Vest Hitmonchan actually works quite differently to other items (particularly if you can invest in bulk over speed with it), so I don't feel that comfortable with it being a slash on the set.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC: ? / ? / ?
GP: ? / ?

[OVERVIEW]
  • Hitmonchan is able to set itself apart from other Pokemon in the NU metagame with its access to a wide movepool that allows it to take on its checks, including moves such as Ice Punch, Earthquake, and Stone Edge, most of which are boosted by its ability, Iron Fist. this is not true at all, sawk and hariyama have access to all of these moves and its movepool really isnt what sets it apart, and stone edge and eq arent even on the set; remove this
the main niches it has over other fighting types is that it has a significantly stronger mach than gurdurr allowing it to reliably revenge kill normals/darks/steels and iron fist ice punch
  • It also can successfully support many teams, since it has access to Rapid Spin that allows it to remove opposing entry hazards.
  • Hitmonchan sports a high Attack stat and along with its coverage moves, it can deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that take its STAB moves, such as Vileplume and Golurk.
  • On the downside, it faces major competition as a Fighting-type from Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, and Hariyama, all of which have access to Knock Off to take on Ghost-types such as Mismagius no need for an example, just stating that they have knock off to reliably hit ghosts are wear down their checks and counters is sufficient. Sawk is also able to live any one hit with Sturdy though it doesn't have access to priority, Gurdurr can make use of Bulk Up to take on multiple hits along with the help of Eviolite although it's slower than Hitmonchan, and Hariyama is able to check a multitude of offensive threats in the NU metagame.
  • Other Rapid Spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as it has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. while its not amazing I'd add sandslash here since its probably the next best spinner and it also has knock off to reliably hit ghosts
  • Hitmonchan also struggles to take on Ghost-types such as Mismagius misdreavus and Gourgeist-XL, who can prevent its Rapid Spin and are immune to its STAB moves.
mention as a con that it has a very awkward speed tier

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's main STAB move, which also grants it a relatively reliable form of passive recovery; High Jump Kick can be used for added power, but it runs the risk of missing or having a Ghost-type switch in, forcing it to lose 50% of its health.
  • Mach Punch, with the help of its +1 priority, can pick off foes such as Tauros and Shiftry at low health.
  • Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to OHKO or 2HKO Pokemon such as Vileplume, Golurk, and Claydol, that can take on its STAB moves. I dont really like being specific about ohkoing or 2hkoing, just say it hits x, y, and z and leave it at that
  • Rapid Spin allows Hitmonchan to remove opposing entry hazards from its side of the field.
Set Details
========
  • Hitmonchan makes use of maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature, which allows it to outspeed Pokemon such as Claydol and Klinklang and deal as much damage as possible with the help of Life Orb. no need for examples here, just say max speed is used to outspeed as much as possible
  • Fist Plate can also be used to prevent recoil that would be taken from Life Orb, but it only boosts the power of Hitmonchan's Fighting-type attacks; on the other hand, Assault Vest can be used to more further improve Hitmonchan's Special Defense, but it loses out on needed power.
  • Iron Fist boosts the power of all of Hitmonchan's punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Punch.
Usage Tips
========
  • Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's most spammable move, as it gains a boost from STAB and Iron Fist, while also giving Hitmonchan health, allowing it to survive throughout the game. fighting type moves arent very spammable since the tier is overprepared for them, try and reword this
  • Hitmonchan can also pick off weakened foes with an Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch. add here that you should preserve hitmonchan if your opponent has a setup sweeper or threat that it can revenge kill with mach punch
  • If the opponent has gotten up entry hazards on Hitmonchan's side of the field, it should make it a point to Rapid Spin in order to remove them.
  • If the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Rotom or Mismagius, Hitmonchan should use Ice Punch in order to weaken it, allowing it to Rapid Spin late-game.
  • Despite Hitmonchan's high Special Defense, it shouldn't be constantly switch into strong attacks. Instead, it should be safely brought into battle via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn from Pokemon such as Lanturn and Xatu, respectively.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Scyther and Magmortar that are weak to entry hazards appreciate Hitmonchan's ability to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin.
  • Skuntank is a great partner for Hitmonchan, as it is able to take on Psychic-type moves that Hitmonchan is weak to, as well as being able to trap opposing Ghost-types, which are some of Hitmonchan's best checks, such as Mismagius with Pursuit.
  • Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Rhydon and Crustle are helpful to Hitmonchan, as Stealth Rock and Spikes allows Hitmonchan to pick up necessary KOs. For example, Stealth Rock allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO defensive Vileplume with Ice Punch after it takes damage from Stealth Rock. crustle isnt that good in this meta pick another example
expand a bit here, just list some mons that can cover its weaknesses like flying resists and other fairy checks, note that skunktank can handle mega audino

Other Options
=============

earthquake should be here, it hits garbodor
  • A Jolly nature can be used instead of Adamant in order to outspeed Pokemon such as Shiftry and Adamant Sawk, though it loses out on needed power.
  • A boosting set with Agility is an option, though Hitmonchan is still relatively weak and it is outclassed by other Pokemon who fill this role such as Rhydon.
  • Moves such as Stone Edge and Thunder Punch can be used to take on Pokemon such as Scyther and Mantin, respectively, but then it is unable to deal much damage to Pokemon such as Golurk and Vileplume. keep tpunch remove stone edge
  • Hitmonchan can make use of Close Combat to deal more damage to its targets, but it loses out on recovery that Drain Punch gives.
  • Foresight allows Hitmonchan to Rapid Spin against Ghost-types, though it loses out on coverage.
  • If Hitmonchan is using Fist Plate, it can also use Fling to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius, as well as Psychic-types such as Mesprit.
  • The combination of Substitute + Focus Punch can be used to avoid status and get off huge damage, but then Hitmonchan loses out on Rapid Spin, which is its main niche.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Mismagius, Rotom, and Golurk not only prevent Hitmonchan from using Rapid Spin, but they also are immune to Hitmonchan's STAB moves. Fortunately, Hitmonchan is able to deal respectable damage to them with Ice Punch.

**Poison-types**: Garbodor and Weezing take very little damage from all of Hitmonchan's attacks. Both of the two can set up Toxic Spikes on Hitmonchan, while the former can also stack Spikes and the latter can severely cripple Hitmonchan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Fairy-types**: Granbull and Mega-Audino both take very little damage from Hitmonchan. The former of the two can cripple an incoming switch with Thunder Wave as Hitmonchan switches out, while the latter can take advantage of Hitmonchan and set up Calm Mind on it.

**Psychic-types**: Musharna and Mesprit can take multiple attacks from Hitmonchan with ease, and both of the two can OHKO it with their given STAB moves. Musharna can also use Hitmonchan as setup fodder while Mesprit can use an opportunity against Hitmonchan to set up Stealth Rock.

**Status**: Will-O-Wisp severely weakens Hitmonchan's attacks, while also forcing it to take residual damage after every turn. Thunder Wave can prevent Hitmonchan from attacking for a turn while also allowing slower Pokemon to outspeed it. Toxic puts Hitmonchan on a timer, limiting how long it can stay in battle. I'd remove this section since its pretty arbitrary and its obvious that all

**Flying-types**: Pokemon such as Xatu and Mantine, though threatened by Ice Punch, can tank Hitmonchan's STAB moves and retaliate with their given supereffective STAB moves.
mantine is bad, add better examples here. pelipper is a much better example, add others here like scyther and vivillon and just note how they can easily switch into hitmonchans stab moves and revenge kill but fear ice punch
fix up this stuff in bold and qc 1/3

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
QC: boltsandbombers / ? / ?

[OVERVIEW]
  • Hitmonchan is able to set itself apart from other Pokemon in the NU metagame with its Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch, which allows it to revenge kill Pokemon such as Shiftry more effectively than Gurdurr, as well as a boosted Ice Punch that allows it to take on Pokemon such as Golurk more effectively.
  • It also can successfully support many teams, since it has access to Rapid Spin that allows it to remove opposing entry hazards.
  • Hitmonchan sports a high Attack stat and along with its coverage moves, it can deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that take its STAB moves, such as Vileplume and Golurk.
  • On the downside, it faces major competition as a Fighting-type from Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, and Hariyama, all of which have access to Knock Off to take on Ghost-types. Sawk is also able to live any one hit with Sturdy though it doesn't have access to priority, Gurdurr can make use of Bulk Up to take on multiple hits along with the help of Eviolite although it's slower than Hitmonchan, and Hariyama is able to check a multitude of offensive threats in the NU metagame.
  • Other Rapid Spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol and Sandslash also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as the former has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes while the latter has Knock Off for spinblockers.
  • Hitmonchan also struggles to take on Ghost-types such as Mismagius Misdrevus please, Mismagius is 2HKOd by Ice Punch and Gourgeist-XL, who can prevent its Rapid Spin and are immune to its STAB moves.
  • Hitmonchan's speed tier also sets it back, as its unable to outspeed a lot of common offensive Pokemon. Also mention a really shitty defense stat
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's main STAB move, which also grants it a relatively reliable form of passive recovery Mention its boosted by Iron Fist which is why it is preferred to use especially with LO; High Jump Kick can be used for added power, but it runs the risk of missing or having a Ghost-type switch in, forcing it to lose 50% of its health Mention with HJK Fist Plate is the better option due to the Fact you won't gain back the LO recoil.
  • Mach Punch, with the help of its +1 priority, can pick off foes such as Tauros and Shiftry at low health.
  • Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to hit Pokemon such as Vileplume, Golurk, and Claydol, that can take on its STAB moves. Mention it is also really good coverage for ghost types as it 2HKOs all relevant ones outside of Misdrevus / Gourgeist - XL
  • Rapid Spin allows Hitmonchan to remove opposing entry hazards from its side of the field.
Set Details
========
  • Hitmonchan makes use of maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature, which allows it to outspeed certain Pokemon and deal as much damage as possible with the help of Life Orb. Bring up the mention of Jolly to here, and mention what each outspeeds / what kills adamant can get which jolly can't
  • Fist Plate can also be used to prevent recoil that would be taken from Life Orb, but it only boosts the power of Hitmonchan's Fighting-type attacks; on the other hand, Assault Vest can be used to more further improve Hitmonchan's Special Defense, but it loses out on needed power.
  • Iron Fist boosts the power of all of Hitmonchan's punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Punch.
Mention an alternative spread of 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe to be a bit bulkier while hitting enough speed for Torterra and Pawniard

Usage Tips
========
  • Drain Punch is usually Hitmonchan's move of choice, as it gains a boost from STAB and Iron Fist, while also giving Hitmonchan health, allowing it to survive throughout the game.
  • Hitmonchan can pick off weakened foes with an Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch; if need be, it can also be saved if the opponent has a setup sweeper to revenge kill the foe with Mach Punch. Mention Klinklang as a potential Set Up Sweeper to hit with Mach Punch
  • If the opponent has gotten up entry hazards on Hitmonchan's side of the field, it should make it a point to Rapid Spin in order to remove them.
  • If the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Rotom or Mismagius, Hitmonchan should use Ice Punch in order to weaken it, allowing it to Rapid Spin late-game.
  • Despite Hitmonchan's high Special Defense, it shouldn't be constantly switch into strong attacks. Instead, it should be safely brought into battle via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn from Pokemon such as Lanturn and Xatu, respectively.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Scyther and Magmortar that are weak to entry hazards appreciate Hitmonchan's ability to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin.
  • Skuntank is a great partner for Hitmonchan, as it is able to take on Psychic-type moves that Hitmonchan is weak to, as well as being able to trap opposing Ghost-types, which are some of Hitmonchan's best checks, such as Mismagius with Pursuit. It can also check Mega Audino, which is one of Hitmonchan's biggest checks.
  • Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Rhydon and Golurk are helpful to Hitmonchan, as Stealth Rock and Spikes allows Hitmonchan to pick up necessary KOs. For example, Stealth Rock allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO defensive Vileplume with Ice Punch after it takes damage from Stealth Rock.
  • Pokemon that resist Flying-type moves such as Klinklang and Carracosta are helpful to check Flying-type threats to Hitmonchan.
Other Options
=============
  • Earthquake is an option that allows Hitmonchan to take on one of its biggest checks in Garbodor, although it loses out on other coverage.
  • A Jolly nature can be used instead of Adamant in order to outspeed Pokemon such as Shiftry and Adamant Sawk, though it loses out on needed power.
  • A boosting set with Agility is an option, though Hitmonchan is still relatively weak and it is outclassed by other Pokemon who fill this role such as Rhydon.
  • Thunder Punch can be used to take on Pokemon such as Mantine, but then it is unable to deal much damage to Pokemon such as Golurk and Vileplume.
  • Hitmonchan can make use of Close Combat to deal more damage to its targets, but it loses out on recovery that Drain Punch gives.
  • Foresight allows Hitmonchan to Rapid Spin against Ghost-types, though it loses out on coverage.
  • If Hitmonchan is using Fist Plate, it can also use Fling to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius, as well as Psychic-types such as Mesprit. Mention it becomes a base 90 Power Dark move
  • The combination of Substitute + Focus Punch can be used to avoid status and get off huge damage, but then Hitmonchan loses out on Rapid Spin, which is its main niche.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Mismagius, Rotom, and Golurk not only prevent Hitmonchan from using Rapid Spin, but they also are immune to Hitmonchan's STAB moves. Fortunately, Hitmonchan is able to deal respectable damage to them with Ice Punch.

**Poison-types**: Garbodor and Weezing take very little damage from all of Hitmonchan's attacks. Both of the two can set up Toxic Spikes on Hitmonchan, while the former can also stack Spikes and the latter can severely cripple Hitmonchan with Will-O-Wisp. Mention Garbodor can set up spikes because of Rocky Helmet + Aftermath

**Fairy-types**: Granbull and Mega-Audino both take very little damage from Hitmonchan. The former of the two can cripple an incoming switch with Thunder Wave as Hitmonchan switches out, while the latter can take advantage of Hitmonchan and set up Calm Mind on it.

**Psychic-types**: Musharna and Mesprit can take multiple attacks from Hitmonchan with ease, and both of the two can OHKO it with their given STAB moves. Musharna can also use Hitmonchan as setup fodder while Mesprit can use an opportunity against Hitmonchan to set up Stealth Rock.

**Flying-types**: Pokemon such as Scyther and Pelipper, though threatened by Ice Punch, can tank Hitmonchan's STAB moves and retaliate with their given supereffective STAB moves.
Looks good, changes in bold. QC 2/3

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: boltsandbombers / metaphysical / ?

[OVERVIEW]

Hitmonchan is able to set itself apart from other Pokemon in the NU metagame with its Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch, which allows it to revenge kill Pokemon such as Shiftry more effectively than Gurdurr, as well as a boosted Ice Punch that allows it to take on Pokemon such as Golurk more effectively. It also can successfully support many teams, since it has access to Rapid Spin that allows it to remove opposing entry hazards (I'd add in here somewhere about Hitmonchan's resistance to Stealth Rock which is one of its main appeals as a Spinner). Hitmonchan sports a high Attack stat and along with its coverage moves, it can deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that take its STAB moves, such as Vileplume and Golurk. On the downside, it faces major competition as a Fighting-type from Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, and Hariyama, all of which have access to Knock Off to take on Ghost-types. Sawk is also able to live any one hit with Sturdy though it doesn't have access to priority, Gurdurr can make use of Bulk Up to take on multiple hits along with the help of Eviolite although it's slower than Hitmonchan, and Hariyama is able to check a multitude of offensive threats in the NU metagame. Other Rapid Spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol and Sandslash also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as the former has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes while the latter has Knock Off for spinblockers. Hitmonchan also struggles to take on (change this to bulky spinblockers and make a mention of how hitmonchan can handle offensive ghosts perfectly fine) Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist-XL, who can prevent its Rapid Spin and are immune to its STAB moves. Hitmonchan's Speed tier also sets it back, as its unable to outspeed a lot of common offensive Pokemon (like what?), and along with its poor Defense stat, it is unable to take a lot of physical hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's main STAB move, which also grants it a relatively reliable form of passive recovery; High Jump Kick can be used for added power, but it runs the risk of missing or having a Ghost-type switch in, forcing it to lose 50% of its health; it also doesn't gain a boost from Iron Fist like Drain Punch. High Jump Kick should only be used with Fist Plate, as Hitmonchan can't afford the recoil from Life Orb or the chance to miss without added recovery from Drain Punch. Mach Punch, with the help of its +1 priority, can pick off foes such as Tauros and Shiftry at low health. Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to hit Pokemon such as Vileplume and Claydol, that can take on its STAB moves (mention frail spinblockers such as haunter and rotom here); it is also able to 2HKO common spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Golurk. Rapid Spin allows Hitmonchan to remove opposing entry hazards from its side of the field. (I'd like to see a mention of EQ in here. Garbodor sets up Spikes on non-EQ Hitmonchan almost for free and Hitmonchan can't keep them removed because hazards aren't removed if you faint from Rocky Helmet damage. It would be over Mach Punch)

Set Details
========

Hitmonchan makes use of maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature, which allows it to outspeed certain Pokemon (which ones) and deal as much damage as possible with the help of Life Orb. A Jolly nature can also be used to allow Hitmonchan to outspeed Pokemon such as Shiftry, but it misses out on certain KOs; for example, Jolly Hitmonchan is unable to OHKO Claydol with Ice Punch. Fist Plate can also be used to prevent recoil that would be taken from Life Orb, but it only boosts the power of Hitmonchan's Fighting-type attacks; on the other hand, Assault Vest can be used to more further improve Hitmonchan's Special Defense, but it loses out on needed power. Iron Fist boosts the power of all of Hitmonchan's punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Punch. An EV spread of 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe can be used to give Hitmonchan more bulk, while still being able to outspeed Torterra and Pawniard.

Usage Tips
========

Drain Punch is usually Hitmonchan's move of choice, as it gains a boost from STAB and Iron Fist, while also giving Hitmonchan health, allowing it to survive throughout the game. Hitmonchan can pick off weakened foes with an Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch; if need be, it can also be saved if the opponent has a setup sweeper such as Klinklang, to revenge kill the foe with Mach Punch. If the opponent has gotten up entry hazards on Hitmonchan's side of the field, it should make it a point to Rapid Spin in order to remove them. If the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Rotom or Mismagius, Hitmonchan should use Ice Punch in order to weaken it, allowing it to Rapid Spin late-game. Despite Hitmonchan's high Special Defense, it shouldn't be constantly switch into strong attacks. Instead, it should be safely brought into battle via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn from Pokemon such as Lanturn and Xatu, respectively.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Scyther and Magmortar that are weak to entry hazards appreciate Hitmonchan's ability to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin. Skuntank is a great partner for Hitmonchan, as it is able to take on Psychic-type moves that Hitmonchan is weak to, as well as being able to trap opposing Ghost-types, which are some of Hitmonchan's best checks (it's probably safer to just emphasize pursuit trapping means you have an easier time Rapid Spinning), such as Mismagius with Pursuit. It can also check Mega Audino, which is one of Hitmonchan's biggest checks. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Rhydon and Golurk are helpful to Hitmonchan, as Stealth Rock and Spikes allows Hitmonchan to pick up necessary KOs. For example, Stealth Rock allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO defensive Vileplume with Ice Punch after it takes damage from Stealth Rock. Pokemon that resist Flying-type moves such as Klinklang and Carracosta are helpful to check Flying-type threats to Hitmonchan.

Other Options
=============

Earthquake is an option that allows Hitmonchan to take on one of its biggest checks in Garbodor, although it loses out on other coverage (this is better in moves as I said). A boosting set with Agility is an option, though Hitmonchan is still relatively weak and it is outclassed by other Pokemon who fill this role such as Rhydon. Thunder Punch can be used to take on Pokemon such as Mantine, but then it is unable to deal much damage to Pokemon such as Golurk and Vileplume. Hitmonchan can make use of Close Combat to deal more damage to its targets, but it loses out on recovery that Drain Punch gives. Foresight allows Hitmonchan to Rapid Spin against Ghost-types, though it loses out on coverage. If Hitmonchan is using Fist Plate, it can also use Fling, which equates to an 80 base power Dark-type move, to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius, as well as Psychic-types such as Mesprit. The combination of Substitute + Focus Punch can be used to avoid status and get off huge damage, but then Hitmonchan loses out on Rapid Spin, which is its main niche. (I'd like to see a mention of the CB set here. It's mostly outclassed by Sawk aside from Mach Punch and a strong stab in HJK that doesn't drop your defenses)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Poison-types**: Garbodor and Weezing take very little damage from all of Hitmonchan's attacks. Both of the two can set up Toxic Spikes on Hitmonchan, while the former can also stack Spikes with the help of Rocky Helmet and Aftermath and the latter can severely cripple Hitmonchan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Flying-types**: Pokemon such as Scyther and Pelipper, though the former is threatened by Ice Punch, can tank Hitmonchan's STAB moves and retaliate with their given supereffective STAB moves.
tag me when done-dies :)

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
change the Earthquake line to mention how it prevents Garbodor from setting up Spikes on Hitmonchan so chan can do its job of removing hazards easier

after that QC 3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
checking though i just took an advil so sorry if it takes a while/i fall asleep :I

edit: ya I am absolutely going to pass out before I finish this. if someone else wants to do it and can finish before I wake up, go ahead; otherwise I will finish first thing tomorrow. rip sick p squared

edit again: to avoid pc++, here's 2/2 :)
[OVERVIEW]

Hitmonchan is able to set itself apart from other Pokemon in the NU metagame with its Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch, which allows it to revenge kill Pokemon such as Shiftry more effectively than Gurdurr can, as well as a boosted Ice Punch that allows it to take on Pokemon such as Golurk more effectively. It also can successfully support many teams, as its access to Rapid Spin that allows it to remove opposing entry hazards; additionally, it resists Stealth Rock, which is one of its main appeals as a Rapid Sspinner. Hitmonchan also sports a high Attack stat and has the appropriate coverage moves to deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that easily take its STAB moves, such as Vileplume and Golurk. On the downside, it faces major competition as a Fighting-type from Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, and Hariyama, all of which have access to Knock Off to take on Ghost-types. Sawk is also able to survive any one hit with Sturdy but doesn't have access to priority, Gurdurr can make use of Bulk Up to take multiple hits along with the help of Eviolite but is slower than Hitmonchan, and Hariyama is able to check a multitude of offensive threats in the NU metagame. Other spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol and Sandslash also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as the former has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, (AC) while the latter has Knock Off to beat spinblockers. Hitmonchan also struggles to take on bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist-XL, which can prevent Rapid Spin and are immune to its STAB moves. Hitmonchan's Speed tier also sets it back, as it's unable to outspeed a lot of common offensive Pokemon such as Scyther, and its poor Defense stat leaves it unable to take a lot of physical hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's main STAB move and grants it a relatively reliable form of passive recovery. High Jump Kick can be used for added power, but it runs the risk of having Hitmonchan lose 50% of its health if it misses or a Ghost-type switches in, and it doesn't gain a boost from Iron Fist like Drain Punch does. High Jump Kick should only be used with Fist Plate, as Hitmonchan can't afford the recoil from Life Orb without added recovery from Drain Punch. Mach Punch, with the help of its +1 priority, can pick off foes such as Tauros and Shiftry. Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to hit Pokemon such as Vileplume and Claydol, which can take its STAB moves; it is also able to 2HKO common spinblockers such as Rotom and Haunter. Rapid Spin allows Hitmonchan to remove entry hazards from its side of the field. Earthquake is an option that allows Hitmonchan to take on one of its biggest checks in Garbodor and prevent it from setting up Spikes, although it loses out on other coverage.

Set Details
========

Hitmonchan makes use of maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature, which allows it to outspeed certain Pokemon such as Claydol and deal as much damage as possible with the help of Life Orb. A Jolly nature can also be used to allow Hitmonchan to outspeed Pokemon such as Shiftry, but it misses out on certain KOs, suck such as the OHKO on Claydol with Ice Punch. Fist Plate can also be used to prevent Life Orb recoil, but it only boosts the power of Hitmonchan's Fighting-type attacks; on the other hand, Assault Vest can be used to improve Hitmonchan's Special Defense, but it loses out on much-needed power. Iron Fist boosts the power of all of Hitmonchan's punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Punch. An EV spread of 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe can be used to give Hitmonchan more bulk while still allowing it to outspeed Torterra and Pawniard.

Usage Tips
========

Drain Punch is usually Hitmonchan's move of choice, as it gains boosts from STAB and Iron Fist and recovers Hitmonchan's health, allowing it to survive throughout the game. Hitmonchan can pick off weakened foes with an Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch; if need be, it can also be saved if the opponent has a setup sweeper such as Klinklang to revenge kill it. If the opponent has gotten up entry hazards on Hitmonchan's side of the field, it should make it a point to remove them with Rapid Spin. If the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Rotom or Mismagius, Hitmonchan should use Ice Punch in order to weaken it, allowing making it easier to use Rapid Spin late-game. Despite Hitmonchan's high Special Defense, it shouldn't constantly repeatedly switch into strong attacks. Instead, it should be safely brought into battle via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn from Pokemon such as Lanturn and Xatu.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that are weak to entry hazards, such as Scyther and Magmortar, appreciate Hitmonchan's ability to clear the battlefield with Rapid Spin. Skuntank is a great partner for Hitmonchan, as it is able to take on Psychic-types that threaten Hitmonchan and is able to trap Ghost-types, which can spinblock and include some of Hitmonchan's best checks, such as Mismagius. It can also check Mega Audino, which is one of Hitmonchan's biggest checks. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Rhydon and Golurk are helpful to Hitmonchan, as Stealth Rock and Spikes allow Hitmonchan to pick up necessary KOs, such as the 2HKO with Ice Punch on defensive Vileplume after Stealth Rock damage. Pokemon that resist Flying-type moves, (AC) such as Klinklang and Carracosta, (AC) are helpful to check Flying-type threats to Hitmonchan.

Other Options
=============

A boosting set with Agility is an option, though Hitmonchan is still relatively weak and it is outclassed by other Pokemon in this role, such as Rhydon. Thunder Punch can be used to take on Pokemon such as Mantine, but forgoing Ice Punch leaves Hitmonchan unable to deal much damage to Pokemon such as Golurk and Vileplume. Hitmonchan can make use of Close Combat to deal more damage to its targets, but it loses out on the recovery that Drain Punch gives. Foresight allows Hitmonchan to spin against Ghost-types, but it loses out on coverage. If Hitmonchan is using Fist Plate, it can also use Fling, which equates to an 80-Base Power Dark-type move, to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius, as well as Psychic-types such as Mesprit. The combination of Substitute + Focus Punch can be used to avoid status and get off huge damage, but then Hitmonchan loses out on Rapid Spin, which is its main niche. Hitmonchan can make use of a Choice Band, and while it is mainly outclassed by Sawk, Hitmonchan sets itself apart with its Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Mismagius, Rotom, and Golurk not only prevent Hitmonchan from using Rapid Spin, (RC) but they also are immune to Hitmonchan's STAB moves. Fortunately, Hitmonchan is able to deal respectable damage to them with Ice Punch.

**Poison-types**: Garbodor and Weezing take very little damage from all of Hitmonchan's attacks. Both of the two can set up Toxic Spikes on Hitmonchan, and the former can also stack Spikes with the help of Rocky Helmet and Aftermath and the latter can severely cripple Hitmonchan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Fairy-types**: Granbull and Mega Audino both take very little damage from Hitmonchan's attacks. The former can cripple your Hitmonchan's switch-in with Thunder Wave, while the latter can take advantage of Hitmonchan and set up Calm Mind on it.

**Psychic-types**: Musharna and Mesprit can take multiple attacks from Hitmonchan with ease, and both can OHKO it with their given STAB moves. Musharna can also use Hitmonchan as setup fodder, while Mesprit can set up Stealth Rock on it.

**Flying-types**: Pokemon such as Scyther and Pelipper, though the former is threatened by Ice Punch, can tank Hitmonchan's STAB moves and retaliate with their given super effective STAB moves.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
i'll do this quick so p^2 can do an even quicker 2/2, feel better buddy :[

remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)
(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Hitmonchan is able to set itself apart from other Pokemon in the NU metagame with its Iron Fist-boosted (add hyphen) Mach Punch, which allows it to revenge kill Pokemon such as Shiftry more effectively than Gurdurr can, as well as a boosted Ice Punch that allows it to take on Pokemon such as Golurk more effectively. It also can successfully support many teams, since it has as its access to Rapid Spin that allows it to remove opposing entry hazards; additionally, it resists Stealth Rock, which is one of its main appeals as a Rapid Spinner. Hitmonchan also sports a high Attack stat and along with its has the appropriate coverage moves, it can to deal a decent amount of damage to Pokemon that take its STAB moves, such as Vileplume and Golurk. On the downside, it faces major competition as a Fighting-type from Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, and Hariyama, all of which have access to Knock Off to take on Ghost-types. Sawk is also able to live survive any one hit with Sturdy though it but doesn't have access to priority, Gurdurr can make use of Bulk Up to take on multiple hits along with the help of Eviolite although it's but is slower than Hitmonchan, and Hariyama is able to check a multitude of offensive threats in the NU metagame. Other Rapid Spinners spinners in the NU metagame such as Claydol and Sandslash also have significant niches over Hitmonchan, as the former has access to Shadow Ball to beat spinblockers and is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes while the latter has Knock Off for to beat spinblockers. Hitmonchan also struggles to take on bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist-XL, who which can prevent its Rapid Spin and are immune to its STAB moves. Hitmonchan's Speed tier also sets it back, as it's (apostrophe) unable to outspeed a lot of common offensive Pokemon such as Scyther, and along with its poor Defense stat, it is leaves it unable to take a lot of physical hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch is Hitmonchan's main STAB move, which also and grants it a relatively reliable form of passive recovery. (period) High Jump Kick can be used for added power, but it runs the risk of missing or having a Ghost-type switch in, forcing it to having Hitmonchan lose 50% of its health if it misses or a Ghost-type switches in, (comma) and it also doesn't gain a boost from Iron Fist like Drain Punch does. High Jump Kick should only be used with Fist Plate, as Hitmonchan can't afford the recoil from Life Orb or the chance to miss (idg this, this would imply running HJK and Drain Punch on the same set) without added recovery from Drain Punch. Earthquake is an option that allows Hitmonchan to take on one of its biggest checks in Garbodor and prevent it from setting up Spikes, although it loses out on other coverage. Mach Punch, with the help of its +1 priority, can pick off foes such as Tauros and Shiftry at low health. Ice Punch allows Hitmonchan to hit Pokemon such as Vileplume and Claydol, that which can take on its STAB moves; it is also able to 2HKO common spinblockers such as Rotom and Haunter. Rapid Spin allows Hitmonchan to remove opposing entry hazards from its side of the field. Earthquake is an option that allows Hitmonchan to take on one of its biggest checks in Garbodor and prevent it from setting up Spikes, but it forces Hitmonchan to give up other coverage.

Set Details
========

Hitmonchan makes use of maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature, which allows it to outspeed certain Pokemon such as Claydol and deal as much damage as possible with the help of Life Orb. A Jolly nature can also be used to allow Hitmonchan to outspeed Pokemon such as Shiftry, but it misses out on certain KOs, (comma) for example, Jolly Hitmonchan is unable to such as the OHKO on Claydol with Ice Punch. Fist Plate can also be used to prevent Life Orb recoil that would be taken from Life Orb, but it only boosts the power of Hitmonchan's Fighting-type attacks; on the other hand, Assault Vest can be used to more further improve Hitmonchan's Special Defense, but it loses out on much-needed power. Iron Fist boosts the power of all of Hitmonchan's punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Punch. An EV spread of 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe can be used to give Hitmonchan more bulk (RC) while still being able allowing it to outspeed Torterra and Pawniard.

Usage Tips
========

Drain Punch is usually Hitmonchan's move of choice, as it gains a boost boosts from STAB and Iron Fist, while also giving and recovers Hitmonchan's health, allowing it to survive throughout the game. Hitmonchan can pick off weakened foes with an Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch; if need be, it can also be saved if the opponent has a setup sweeper such as Klinklang (RC) to revenge kill the foe with Mach Punch it. If the opponent has gotten up entry hazards on Hitmonchan's side of the field, it should make it a point to Rapid Spin in order to remove them with Rapid Spin. If the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Rotom or Mismagius, Hitmonchan should use Ice Punch in order to weaken it, allowing it to use Rapid Spin late-game. Despite Hitmonchan's high Special Defense, it shouldn't be constantly switch into strong attacks. Instead, it should be safely brought into battle via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn from Pokemon such as Lanturn and Xatu, respectively.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that are weak to entry hazards, (AC) such as Scyther and Magmortar, (AC) that are weak to entry hazards appreciate Hitmonchan's ability to remove entry hazards clear the battlefield with Rapid Spin. Skuntank is a great partner for Hitmonchan, as it is able to take on Psychic-types moves that threaten Hitmonchan is weak to, as well as being and is able to Pursuit trap opposing Ghost-types, (AC) that which can spinblock, which are and include some of Hitmonchan's best checks, such as Mismagius, with Pursuit. It can also check Mega Audino, which is one of Hitmonchan's biggest checks. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Rhydon and Golurk are helpful to Hitmonchan, as Stealth Rock and Spikes allows allow Hitmonchan to pick up necessary KOs, (AC) such as the 2HKO with Ice Punch on defensive Vileplume after Stealth Rock damage. For example, Stealth Rock allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO defensive Vileplume with Ice Punch after it takes damage from Stealth Rock. Pokemon that resist Flying-type moves such as Klinklang and Carracosta are helpful to check Flying-type threats to Hitmonchan.

Other Options
=============

A boosting set with Agility is an option, though Hitmonchan is still relatively weak and it is outclassed by other Pokemon who fill in this role, (AC) such as Rhydon. Thunder Punch can be used to take on Pokemon such as Mantine, but then it is forgoing Ice Punch leaves Hitmonchan unable to deal much damage to Pokemon such as Golurk and Vileplume. Hitmonchan can make use of Close Combat to deal more damage to its targets, but it loses out on the recovery that Drain Punch gives. Foresight allows Hitmonchan to Rapid Spin spin against Ghost-types, though but it loses out on coverage. If Hitmonchan is using Fist Plate, it can also use Fling, which equates to an 80-Base Power (add hyphen) Dark-type move, to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius, as well as Psychic-types such as Mesprit. The combination of Substitute + Focus Punch can be used to avoid status and get off huge damage, but then Hitmonchan loses out on Rapid Spin, which is its main niche. Hitmonchan can make use of a Choice Band, and while it is mainly outclassed by Sawk, Hitmonchan can take advantage of sets itself apart with its Iron Fist-boosted Mach Punch.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Poison-types**: Garbodor and Weezing take very little damage from all of Hitmonchan's attacks. Both of the two can set up Toxic Spikes on Hitmonchan, while and the former can also stack Spikes with the help of Rocky Helmet and Aftermath and the latter can severely cripple Hitmonchan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Fairy-types**: Granbull and Mega Audino (remove hyphen) both take very little damage from Hitmonchan's attacks. The former of the two can cripple an incoming switch your switch-in with Thunder Wave as Hitmonchan switches out, while the latter can take advantage of Hitmonchan and set up Calm Mind on it.

**Psychic-types**: Musharna and Mesprit can take multiple attacks from Hitmonchan with ease, and both of the two can OHKO it with their given STAB moves. Musharna can also use Hitmonchan as setup fodder, (AC) while Mesprit can use an opportunity against Hitmonchan to set up Stealth Rock on it.

**Flying-types**: Pokemon such as Scyther and Pelipper, though the former is threatened by Ice Punch, can tank Hitmonchan's STAB moves and retaliate with their given super effective (space) STAB moves.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)