Honchkrow Discussion

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

#430 Honchkrow

Dark/Flying

100/125/52/105/52/71

Insomnia: Pokemon is unable to be put to sleep

Super luck: Pokemon has a higher critical hit ratio than most pokemon

Moxie (DW) Attack is boosted after a KO

Notable moves:
Sucker punch
Brave bird
Superpower (illegal with moxie)
Heat wave (illegal with moxie)
Pursuit
Night slash
Substitute
Roost

Sets:

Mixkrow:

Honchkrow W/life orb
Naughty
Insomnia
evs: 252atck 4spatck 252spe
Sucker punch
Brave bird
Superpower
Heat wave

Classic honchkrow, This set is a very powerful wallbreaker that has
1)perfect coverage
2)moderate to high powered moves
3)priority
Most people expect a moxie set these days so a Mixed variant can be quite a surprise when their steel gets hit by heat wave/superpower. Sucker punch helps Honch bypass its mediorcre speed, Albiet unreliably. Brave bird Is ridiculously powerful even without a boost being able to 2hko specially defensive ferroseed on the switch.

Moxiekrow

Honchkrow W/Life orb
Adamant
Moxie
Evs: 4hp 252atck 252spe
Sucker punch
Brave bird
Substitute
Roost

Honchkrow's new niche, Honchkrow is the only pokemon to get both a priority move and moxie (bar mightyena) This set can last a lot longer in battle and can sweep entire teams if left unchecked. The combo of substitute and roost is a must on this set, no matter how tempting pursuit may be!!!! Brave bird is still ridiculously powerful, especially after a boost. Sucker punch becomes as strong as a +0 brave bird after a boost. Because of the nature of honchkrow. This set requires a bit of prediction to use. Ie: if they switch to avoid sucker punch. use sub on the switch. opponent expecting a brave bird and switch into ferroseed, use Roost and laugh in their face as you regain all your heath. this is honch's new main set and is definatley something to watch out for, If you want to beat this either use a steel or predict well, otherwise you are doomed.

Anyways, discuss

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
You need the mention of Night Slash somewhere. Jee, what are you doing with your Honchkrow if you're losing 1 vs 1 against Cresselia?

Edit: I was saying mostly for the first set. Well, I realize that it's going to be all predictions because of Sucker Punch, but Ice Beam should dent Krow after SR damage, and moonlight variants can let the first set just kill itself.

Moxiekrow needs pursuit. Free +1 Attack for killing a fleeing pokemon? Hell yeah. Also useful for sucker punch / pursuit mindgames.

No Scarf?
With 71 Base Speed, it isn't going to outspeed much.
Works well with Moxie when scoring consecutive KO's too, provided you don't lock yourself into a immune move.
EDIT: Also, make sure that you can handle the lack of coverage.

moth counter.

Insomnia
Sucker Punch
Pursuit/Night Slash
Brave bird/Drill Peck
Super Power/Heat wave

Switch in on the spore/sleep powder and then dominate.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Here's an unexpected set I've been using:

Honchkrow @ Choice Scarf
Lonely
Insomnia
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Superpower
-Sucker Punch
-Brave Bird
-Night Slash

The first two moves grant perfect RU coverage and the last grants mind games. Not only does this little fellow eat the shit of Venomoth, but also kills nearly EVERY POKEMON IN RU. Great for surprise kills. If you've been laddering and seen the phrase "NOBODY EXCEPTS THE SKARFKROW INQUISITION" or a variant, that means I got a surprise kill on you with him.

Hidden Power Grass is still a cool option as long as Rhyperior, Gastrodon, etc. are still in the tier, since the surprise kills on them are valuable.

Moxiekrow is undoubtedly the best set Honchkrow can run, so put it at the top of the OP. If you ever really need to get around Steel-types (barring Steelix) you can always pair Dugtrio with Krow, or just use Spikes and double switches.

As for Scarfkrow I'm inclined to think that Scarf Krookodile makes for a better cleaner than it. It's a bit weaker, but that Speed can come in handy. Pairing Scarf Krook with CB Moxie Krow could definitely tear through some teams.

I have been using this honchkrow not to be vulnerable against dragon dancers...

Honchkrow @ Life orb
Adamant
Insomnia
252 Atk/252 SpD/4 HP
-Superpower
-Sucker Punch
-Brave Bird
-Psych Up

special defence evs are maximised because I needed to counter grass and bug types well. Just for my team. I am not sure about this. I don't know about ev'ing it outside of maximising its attack.

Other options might include thunder wave, snatch, etc. I am thinking of using quash for switch ins since I can kill it next turn...what do you think?

By dragon dancers I assume you mean Feraligatr? Who isn't even that common, even though he should be. I just don't understand that set i'm afraid.

Actually no one wants to have sucker punch in the face so I might predict dragon dance and psych it up... I killed salamence, haxorus, gyarados with sucker punch that way but not feraligatr and crawdaunt...sorry did not think it was RU...

Then what do you think about Quash? it also needs prediction...

I got to try Honchkrow on RU...

Actually no one wants to have sucker punch in the face so I might predict dragon dance and psych it up... I killed salamence, haxorus, gyarados with sucker punch that way but not feraligatr and crawdaunt...sorry did not think it was RU...

Then what do you think about Quash? it also needs prediction...

I got to try Honchkrow on RU...

My bad. Quash does not work like what I have thought.

To explain the set, honchkrow can go out in front of damaged dragon dancer. The dragon dancer might fear sucker punch so it might set up, which is the worst situation. I might brave bird right away, but it is usually better to copy that boost and sucker punch to death, and then sometimes use that boost later.

If honchkrow and the dragon dancer just have been sent out and met for first time, a dragon dancer might think instead of attacking straight away, he might get some dragon dance first for the future and then attack, shrugging off the sucker punch. So I predict that and on the turn it gets dragon dance I copy that boost, and sucker punch to death next turn.

But feraligatr is quite bulky, and also have aqua jet. Crawdaunt resists sucker punch. I don't think this set will work against them.

I just thought of this since dragon dance is one of the hardest moves to counter with my team.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Krow must Go, IMO, it's the only really broken poke in RU. Unless you have a Rhyperior, you're basically boned once you get a single weakened pokemon.

So if I put up full hazards SubPunchkrow would rape everything? Look at dis new guy.
Sableye @ Leftovers
PRANKSTER
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold/Impish
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Recover
If Honchkrow is raping you guys (You like dat don't you?) this guy will fix your problem.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So if I put up full hazards SubPunchkrow would rape everything? Look at dis new guy.
Sableye @ Leftovers
PRANKSTER
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold/Impish
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Recover
If Honchkrow is raping you guys (You like dat don't you?) this guy will fix your problem.
what if honchkrow has a sub up? no one in their right mind would switch Krow in on a sableye.

^ Word. Moreover, why run Impish on a set that requires no physical attack? Might as well run Bold and 0 Atk Ivs to reduce confusion damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)