Hoopa-Unbound (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
Hoopa-U is widely known for its monstrous power as well as its two signature moves that break one of the most common moves in Doubles, Protect. With base 160 Attack and base 170 Special Attack, Hoopa can viably run a mixed attacking set sporting both Hyperspace Fury and Hyperspace Hole to OHKO common threats like Aegislash and Amoonguss while also nearly OHKOing most of the metagame that doesn't resist these STAB-boosted moves. In addition to breaking Protect and variants like Spiky Shield, King's Shield, and Wide Guard like Feint does, Hyperspace Hole and Hyperspace Fury also hit Pokemon that are behind a Substitute.

Hoopa-U's Speed tier is not generally the best to take full advantage of its offensive power, so it's most commonly paired with multiple speed control options on the same team, ranging from Trick Room to Tailwind. Additionally, Hoopa-U's ability to break Protect pressures the opponent, as they can't simply use Protect to stall out turns of Tailwind or Trick Room reliably. Its Psychic / Dark typing also does not really grant it much defensively beyond an immunity to Psychic-type attacks. Due to its low Defense, physical attackers that can outspeed it such as Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T are the biggest threats to Hoopa-U. On the other hand, though, Hoopa-U has a high base 130 Special Defense that can be used to take a lot of special hits nicely. Dark-types like Hydreigon, Bisharp, and Scrafty are also an issue, as they resist Hoopa's dual STAB Hyperspace moves, and Fairy-type Pokemon also threaten to KO it.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Hyperspace Fury
move 2: Hyperspace Hole
move 3: Gunk Shot / Substitute / Drain Punch
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Magician
nature: Hasty
evs: 192 Atk / 140 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hyperspace Fury is Hoopa-U's strongest physical attack and often its go-to move to hammer away at the opponent, and, like Feint, it also breaks Protect. Hyperspace Hole is Hoopa-U's main special attack to help it beat Amoonguss as well as still deal heavy damage when it is either burned or Intimidated. Gunk Shot is a coverage move to handle Fairies such as Azumarill and Sylveon, which would otherwise threaten Hoopa-U. Substitute is a little more difficult to set up for Hoopa-U compared to other common users due to its lack of a good defensive typing, but it can often set it up on passive threats like Amoonguss or when it scares out a foe thanks to its offensive pressure. A Hoopa-U behind a Substitute is able to take physical hits it would otherwise not be able to take and respond with heavy damage. Drain Punch gives Hoopa-U a coverage move to hit Dark-type Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. Protect is self explanatory as a staple move in Doubles to help stall out field conditions or get Hoopa-U in a position where its partner can help it threaten the opposing team.

Set Details
========
Life Orb boosts Hoopa-U's mixed offensive stats to high levels to pick up key KOs and deal heavy damage. The Hasty nature was chosen to both increase Hoopa-U's Speed and preserve its outstanding Special Defense stat, as it wouldn't be taking most physical hits anyway. The Special Attack investment lets Hoopa-U always OHKO standard Relaxed Amoonguss with Hyperspace Hole. The Speed investment lets it outrun maximum Speed positive-natured base 70 Pokemon such as Breloom. The rest is dumped into Attack to hit as hard as possible with Hyperspace Fury, which easily OHKOes threats like Aegislash. An alternate spread with 116 Atk / 140 SpA / 252 Spe and a Hasty nature can be used to outrun as many Pokemon as possible while still netting an OHKO on both standard Relaxed Amoonguss and standard Aegislash. A Trick Room team may attempt to use an alternate spread of 232 HP / 136 Atk / 140 SpA with a Quiet nature to outspeed as many threats as possible in Trick Room. Zen Headbutt is also a viable option on Hoopa if one wants to forgo the special mechanics of Hyperspace Hole and opt for a full physical set.

Usage Tips
========
Hoopa-U should avoid Will-O-Wisp, as it lowers the damage output of Hyperspace Fury, preventing it from picking up OHKOs on some Pokemon and denting others for heavy damage. If Hoopa-U is faster than its partner, you can use a Hyperspace move to break opposing Protect so that the partner can attack through it. The same applies for breaking Wide Guard from Pokemon such as Aegislash, allowing a slower Mega Gardevoir to get off its Hyper Voice. Try not to switch in Hoopa-U too often except on a U-turn or safe switch after a team member faints, because its low Defense and lack of decent resistances make it take heavy damage otherwise. Leading with a Fake Out user alongside Hoopa-U puts on a lot of pressure because people generally try to burn out Fake Out with Protect, but thanks to Hoopa-U's ability to break Protect with its Hyperspace moves, this is no longer very safe. Due to Hoopa-U's awkward mid-tier base 80 Speed, it's best to get speed control into play such as that of Trick Room, Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Icy Wind. Obviously, Hoopa-U is great for pressuring Pokemon slower than it due to its monstrous offensive stats. Hoopa-U is also very great against Trick Room, as it can hit most Trick Room setters for super effective damage with Hyperspace Fury, either KOing them or weakening them to the point where they will be unable to set up Trick Room again. If you are using the Substitute set on Hoopa-U, do not have it set up a Substitute when it is not anywhere close to full health, because it may end up fainting to Life Orb recoil behind the Substitute before it can get enough hits off.

Team Options
========
Tailwind setters are great partners for Hoopa-U because they provide it with necessary speed control. Latios gets a special mention for its offensive synergy with Hoopa-U, appreciating its ability to OHKO Aegislash. Trick Room setters such as Reuniclus, Cresselia, and Porygon2 give speed control for Hoopa to go to town under Trick Room. Redirection support Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Jirachi are good to take physical hits for Hoopa-U, allowing it to safely fire off attacks. Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan and Infernape can help Hoopa-U attack the foes safely, and, as a bonus, they also have a decent matchup versus Dark-types. Mega Kangaskhan also greatly appreciates Hoopa-U, as Hoopa-U helps it by getting rid of pesky Ghost-types like Aegislash and other Mega Kangaskhan checks like Amoonguss, allowing Mega Kangaskhan to plow through teams. Mega Kangaskhan also beats most Fairies, which would otherwise threaten Hoopa-U. Keldeo is a great partner, as it helps get rid of Dark- and Steel-types, as well as big threats like Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T that would OHKO Hoopa-U. Aegislash and Amoonguss are good defensive partners for Hoopa-U, as they take Fairy-type attacks and are good switch-ins to threats like Mega Kangaskhan and Keldeo, which would otherwise OHKO Hoopa. Aegislash also offers Wide Guard support to block out spread Fairy-type moves such as Pixilate Hyper Voice. Mega Gardevoir in particular really appreciates Hoopa-U beating Aegislash for it so it can freely spam Hyper Voice, while Gardevoir handles pesky Dark-types for Hoopa-U. Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame are also great partners because they beat threats to Hoopa-U in Dark-types like Bisharp and Scrafty as well as Fairy-types in Sylveon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
The elemental punches, primarily Fire and Ice Punch, are additional coverage options. Fire Punch helps Hoopa-U beat Ferrothorn while also hitting Bisharp for super effective damage, whereas Ice Punch is mainly for Landorus-T. For similar reasons to the elemental punches, Hoopa-U can make use of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Ice, using its Special Attack stat over its Attack to beat the same threats. Ally Switch is a support option that allows Hoopa-U to catch your opponent off guard by swapping places with its ally on a pivotal turn, but Hoopa-U generally gets more mileage out of attacking the foes for heavy damage rather than supporting. Hoopa-U can use Trick Room to support itself and its teammates against faster threats for four more turns, and it may be used with the listed Trick Room spread if one so chooses.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: If Hoopa-U is lacking Drain Punch, Dark-types such as Bisharp, Scrafty, Hydreigon, and Darkrai threaten it because they resist and are immune to Hyperspace Fury and Hyperspace Hole, respectively. Fairy-types such as Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, and Azumarill are also big threats to Hoopa-U when they outspeed it or it does not have Gunk Shot on its set to cover them. Notably, Mega Gardevoir should easily be knocked out from full by Hyperspace Fury, so there is no need to risk a Gunk Shot miss when attacking it.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Hoopa-U really struggles against attackers that hit it with physical moves because it has only base 60 Defense. These include threats that are able to tank a hit and hit it hard such as Scrafty, Azumarill, Gyarados, and Ferrothorn as well as Pokemon that outspeed Hoopa such as Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Landorus-T, and even Keldeo thanks to its signature move Secret Sword targeting the foe's Defense.

**Speed**: Faster Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Keldeo, and Mega Gardevoir can all outrun and OHKO Hoopa-U if they are already present on the field. None can really switch into Hoopa-U too comfortably, however.

**Speed Control**: Hoopa-U is dependent on its own team's speed control, so if the opponent either uses their own form of speed control or prevents Hoopa-U's team from getting up theirs, Hoopa-U may struggle to be an effective threat.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Intimidate and burns make Hoopa-U much easier to play around by almost forcing it to use only Hyperspace Hole, letting the opponent find more reliable ways to switch into it. Pokemon such as Darkrai have the typing advantage mentioned previously as well as the ability to outspeed and burn Hoopa-U before it gets off an attack.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't agree with your speed tier, at least not for the listed set. I don't see a point in EVing for Bisharp (but not Breloom) when Bisharp OHKOs with Sucker Punch anyway. I'd only specifically hit 240 if I was running Sub - which I think could maybe get onto the actual set rather than OO. A straight up attacker set like this one makes the most sense at either 263 or max speed. List alongside the standard faster spread a slower one meant for Tailwind.

I think Trick Room deserves its own set, which should probably have Trick Room slashed, as it can just be an attacker or also an additional setter.

Mention HP Fire and HP Ice too where the punches are in OO.

Checks and Counters should also mention Darkrai, especially Wisp Darkrai. It should also mention Fairies (sylveon togekiss and azumarill mostly). Just because you're slashing Gunk Shot first doesn't mean you shouldn't list them, as Drain Punch is also being recommended. Maybe a special mention of Klefki lol, cuz that bones Hoopa-U entirely.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't agree with your speed tier, at least not for the listed set. I don't see a point in EVing for Bisharp (but not Breloom) when Bisharp OHKOs with Sucker Punch anyway. I'd only specifically hit 240 if I was running Sub - which I think could maybe get onto the actual set rather than OO. A straight up attacker set like this one makes the most sense at either 263 or max speed. List alongside the standard faster spread a slower one meant for Tailwind.

I think Trick Room deserves its own set, which should probably have Trick Room slashed, as it can just be an attacker or also an additional setter.

Mention HP Fire and HP Ice too where the punches are in OO.

Checks and Counters should also mention Darkrai, especially Wisp Darkrai. It should also mention Fairies (sylveon togekiss and azumarill mostly). Just because you're slashing Gunk Shot first doesn't mean you shouldn't list them, as Drain Punch is also being recommended. Maybe a special mention of Klefki lol, cuz that bones Hoopa-U entirely.
Made the changes except on the set. I wanna hear what other QC members have to say first. Arcticblast SpaceBass Memoric shaian xzern

I personally agree that I love the high speed hoopa that outspeeds Breloom since I use that a lot as well, but I felt more people used the max attack set so that would make it better for the main set. This is up for discussion. I am personally fine with either set.

If people feel TR deserves its own set then I will do it.

As for substitute I definitely love it on Hoopa, being of the main users of it along with Haruno and Croven. I tried not to put it on the main set since it may be difficult to use for new players who visit the analysis especially considering its Sub and Life Orb together but it definitely has seen a lot of success, so that is also up for discussion here.

EDIT:
Put high speed hoopa outspeeding Breloom jolly base 70 speed tier because of majority agreement.

Memoric, Stratos, Shaian, and I dont particularly feel a second Trick Room attacker is too necessary however

Last edited:

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
am check #help

I know I'm not technically on QC but I don't feel a second Trick Room set is necessary since both sets do the same thing. Definitely take time mention it in Other Options though.

Be sure to mention Tailwind in the Overview if you're going to specifically mention Trick Room. I'd probably mention it after the Trick Room bullet.

When you're talking about checking a certain type, always give at least one example of a common mon of that type. It runs Gunk Shot to check Fairies like Azumarill and Diancie. It has Drain Punch to hit Dark-types like Scrafty and Hydreigon. If you can think of some better examples feel free to add em.

In Usage Tips talk about how its hard to switch into Hoopa due to its shit defenses.

In Team Options talk about how redirection can offset Hoopa's bad defenses, especially when it starts racking up Defense drops from H-Space Fury, and mention Amoonguss and other Follow Me users.

That's all I got for now, check with QC before you implement, etc.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
hello my name is qc

Overview
  • "Dark / Psychic STABs gives it great neutral coverage" and "Easily OHKOes common threats such as Aegislash and Amoonguss" should be condensed together.
  • This is more of semantics, but you should add the word "safely" when you say it's almost impossible to switch into.
  • "Excellent Special Defense stat that lets it take some hits" Special hits. Also imo it'd work well if you can make it flow in a way that you mention its terribad Defense next, then mentioning its other flaws next.
  • "not fazed by Protect as signature moves Hyperspace Hole and Hyperspace Fury break Protect like Feint does" and "Excellent both on and versus Trick Room as it can OHKO most common setters and the opposing team can not reliably use protect to stall turns" should be together. The first bullet is the "why" of the second bullet.
  • Mention that it also has literally no resistances save for the relatively rare Psychic-type.
Moves
  • Hole: "...lets Hoopa attack reliably even through burns / attack drops" burns AND attack drops, it's not a one or the other thing.
  • Mention examples of targets for Gunk Shot and Drain Punch.
  • You should explain Protect anyway. Just say it helps with stalling out field conditions, positioning, etc.
Set Details
  • TR Spread: instead of "for Trick Room," say "when being used in a TR team" because it can get confusing since it gets Trick Room. I know I did @_@
  • "The Speed investment lets it outrun max Speed base 70 Jolly/Timid Pokemon such as Breloom by 2 speed points as well as anything that attempts to speed creep it by 1 speed point." mention somewhere that this is because it gets the jump point ie 4 EVs = 2 stat
Usage Tips
  • Mention something about it being kinda difficult to switch in because lolDefense and lack of resists in general.
  • Say that's it's great for applying pressure, especially against slower Pokemon, thanks to its high power and ability to deny Protect.
Team Options
  • Remember to mention specific Pokemon when you mention teammates that can beat Fairies, Darks.
Other Options
  • I'd use the order of Sub - TRoom - HP Ice & Elemental Punches - Ally Switch
  • Mention that when running Trick Room you can also use the listed TR spread you had in Set Details.
Checks and Counters
  • As typing advantage is about types, anything you mention here should be something of that nature (hits super-effectively, resists stabs, etc.). You should mention "Steel-types" when you mention Ferro and company. Something like "Steel-types such as..." would work.
  • I'd fix the phrasing in Speed Control since it looks really weird.
  • Add a "Strong Physical Attackers" tag, and say that since its Def is bad physical attackers threaten it greatly. Mention examples; Mega Kanga is a good one.
I don't think the last spread in Set Details is worth a mention tbh, since it only outspeeds non-Scarf Adamant Lando-T which is p uncommon to begin with. Non-scarf Lando-T is from what I've seen mostly Jolly as well. I want other QC input, especially yours, on this one though.

Other than that, 1/3 :)!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Not QC, but speaking in favor of the last spread listed in Set Details - that one works well with Icy Wind support, since it then outspeeds Adamant Scarf Lando-T. It's also nice to know that at worst you speed tie with other Hoopa-U, since you KO with Hyperspace Fury. I've used max speed Hoopa-U to some success and I believe Croven has too.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
Bro, you gonna do this soon?
Sorry I have been in Midterm season for the past few weeks, but its done now along with the 1/3 implementation

In overview when you said "Mention that it also has literally no resistances save for the relatively rare Psychic-type.", you meant Dark Type right?

Also just like talkingtree said about that last spread, I know a fair amount of people using that Hasty max speed one as it helps certain teams take full advantage of the protect breaking feature.

I can still remove it though if other QC feel I should.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I didn't mean Dark-type, but now I realize that the Psychic-type mention I made is supposed to be an immunity, not a resist. oops

Also, it doesn't resist Dark ;u;

Last edited:

kamikaze

The King Of Games
Too much work due before I leave for Thanksgiving break.

This is getting written up Wednesday after I get back home.

12/6 EDIT: I should hopefully have time to do this one of the weekdays next week. I did a few qc checks in the meantime as seperates breaks between my work, but this probably needs one sitting of my undivided attention to write up.

Last edited:
i'm not gonna go over every typo but if you reread this with enough sleep you should catch all of them lol

Overview:
  • I'd mention why hoopa works so well with speed control here in a quick blurb. Protect is very commonly used to stall out TW/TR and Hoopa is able to come in and pick up free kill$.
  • ranging from Trick Room, Tailwind, Icy Wind, and Thunder Wave. -> ranging from Trick Room to Tailwind. just keep this at two and it also goes well with the last point
  • Some threats to Hoopa-U in Doubles are fast attackers that hit it on the physical end -> Due to its low defense, physical attackers that can outspeed it such as Kanga/Lando-T are the biggest threats to Hoopa-U (just sounds better idk). Also I'd remove Keldeo from these mentions because 1. there are some spreads that tank Secret Sword out there 2. It distracts from the actual analysis
  • not a big deal but you kind of put the speed in there randomly when talking about defensive qualities so just reorder that a bit
Set Comments:
  • which also gets an OHKO on Aegislash -> netting an OHKO on Aegislash. Which also sounds kinda weird and doesnt fit the rest of the sentence
  • Just to save GP some trouble, types are worded like Dark-types with a dash in between the two. should be a quick fix and it's a lot more annoying for GP to do it than you lol
  • thanks to its offensive pressure scaring the opponent out. -> thanks to its offensive presence forcing many switches. Just be more specific.
  • resist its dual stabs of Dark and Psychic. -> resist its dual STABs. You've mentioned it already so don't make this more wordy than it needs to be
Set Details:
  • which easily OHKO's threats like Aegislash. - remove this you've mentioned it
Usage Tips:
  • Try not to switch in Hoopa too often except on U-turn or safe switch, because its low Physical Defence and lack of ddecent resists makes it both difficult and punishable. -> what is punishable supposed to mean? switching in any Pokemon is "punishable", why does this apply to Hoopa more than others?
  • Specifically mention that it's best to come in on a free switch after something else on your team dies
  • its best to get Speed Control into play such as that of Trick Room, Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Icy Wind. - it doesn't feel like you get TWave or Icy Wind into play. I'm not sure how I'd want this reworded but I think it sounds awkward right now, so just change it around a bit.
Team Options:
  • Tailwind setters such as Latios are great since it gives Hoopa speed control as well as Hoopa beating Aegislash for it. -> say "are great partners." actually i'd just rewrite the sentence to be "Tailwind setters are great partners with Hoopa-U because they provides Hoopa-U with necessary speed control. Latios gets special mention for its offensive synergy with Hoopa-U, appreciating its ability to OHKO Aegislash." just saying "tailwind setters" and then saying hoopa-u beats aegi for latios is kind of bizarre.
  • Kangaskhan also beats fairies most fairies that would threathen Hoopa -> wtf lol
  • Keldeo is a great partner as it helps get rid of steel types and threats like Kangaskhan that would ohko Hoopa. -> capitalize OHKO, add Lando-t to the things keldeo deals with
  • Aegislash also offers Wide Guard support to block out Hyper Voices. -> spread Fairy-type moves such as Pixilate Hyper Voice
  • Pokemon which beat Fairy and Dark types such as Keldeo, Gardevoir, Charizard, Talonflame are great to help Hoopa with its difficult matchups. -> split this into the different types they beat because right now it reads like Keldeo is beating fairies lol
Other Options:
  • Can we remove Fire Punch? It only has a 25% chance to kill Bisharp from full and you still take Iron Barbs damage from Ferrothorn. HP Fire has a significantly better chance to kill Bish and trades that for a slightly lesser chance of OHKOing Ferro. Other QC/kami feel free to chime in on this.
  • but unfortunately this may come at the risk of losing Hoopa who does not have the best defense stat and generally gets more mileage out of attacking the opposing field for heavy damage. -> just condense this down to the second point in this sentence as imo it's the much more important one
Checks and Counters:
  • Mega-Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, and Azumarill are also big threats to Hoopa when they either outspeed Hoopa thanks to speed control or Hoopa does not have Gunk Shot on its set to cover them. -> speed control mention seems kind of random to me imo just say gunk shot missing

send me a skype message whenever you implement/whether you want to discuss fire punch/whatever

kamikaze

The King Of Games
i'm not gonna go over every typo but if you reread this with enough sleep you should catch all of them lol

Overview:
  • I'd mention why hoopa works so well with speed control here in a quick blurb. Protect is very commonly used to stall out TW/TR and Hoopa is able to come in and pick up free kill$.
  • ranging from Trick Room, Tailwind, Icy Wind, and Thunder Wave. -> ranging from Trick Room to Tailwind. just keep this at two and it also goes well with the last point
  • Some threats to Hoopa-U in Doubles are fast attackers that hit it on the physical end -> Due to its low defense, physical attackers that can outspeed it such as Kanga/Lando-T are the biggest threats to Hoopa-U (just sounds better idk). Also I'd remove Keldeo from these mentions because 1. there are some spreads that tank Secret Sword out there 2. It distracts from the actual analysis
  • not a big deal but you kind of put the speed in there randomly when talking about defensive qualities so just reorder that a bit
Set Comments:
  • which also gets an OHKO on Aegislash -> netting an OHKO on Aegislash. Which also sounds kinda weird and doesnt fit the rest of the sentence
  • Just to save GP some trouble, types are worded like Dark-types with a dash in between the two. should be a quick fix and it's a lot more annoying for GP to do it than you lol
  • thanks to its offensive pressure scaring the opponent out. -> thanks to its offensive presence forcing many switches. Just be more specific.
  • resist its dual stabs of Dark and Psychic. -> resist its dual STABs. You've mentioned it already so don't make this more wordy than it needs to be
Set Details:
  • which easily OHKO's threats like Aegislash. - remove this you've mentioned it
Usage Tips:
  • Try not to switch in Hoopa too often except on U-turn or safe switch, because its low Physical Defence and lack of ddecent resists makes it both difficult and punishable. -> what is punishable supposed to mean? switching in any Pokemon is "punishable", why does this apply to Hoopa more than others?
  • Specifically mention that it's best to come in on a free switch after something else on your team dies
  • its best to get Speed Control into play such as that of Trick Room, Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Icy Wind. - it doesn't feel like you get TWave or Icy Wind into play. I'm not sure how I'd want this reworded but I think it sounds awkward right now, so just change it around a bit.
Team Options:
  • Tailwind setters such as Latios are great since it gives Hoopa speed control as well as Hoopa beating Aegislash for it. -> say "are great partners." actually i'd just rewrite the sentence to be "Tailwind setters are great partners with Hoopa-U because they provides Hoopa-U with necessary speed control. Latios gets special mention for its offensive synergy with Hoopa-U, appreciating its ability to OHKO Aegislash." just saying "tailwind setters" and then saying hoopa-u beats aegi for latios is kind of bizarre.
  • Kangaskhan also beats fairies most fairies that would threathen Hoopa -> wtf lol
  • Keldeo is a great partner as it helps get rid of steel types and threats like Kangaskhan that would ohko Hoopa. -> capitalize OHKO, add Lando-t to the things keldeo deals with
  • Aegislash also offers Wide Guard support to block out Hyper Voices. -> spread Fairy-type moves such as Pixilate Hyper Voice
  • Pokemon which beat Fairy and Dark types such as Keldeo, Gardevoir, Charizard, Talonflame are great to help Hoopa with its difficult matchups. -> split this into the different types they beat because right now it reads like Keldeo is beating fairies lol
Other Options:
  • Can we remove Fire Punch? It only has a 25% chance to kill Bisharp from full and you still take Iron Barbs damage from Ferrothorn. HP Fire has a significantly better chance to kill Bish and trades that for a slightly lesser chance of OHKOing Ferro. Other QC/kami feel free to chime in on this.
  • but unfortunately this may come at the risk of losing Hoopa who does not have the best defense stat and generally gets more mileage out of attacking the opposing field for heavy damage. -> just condense this down to the second point in this sentence as imo it's the much more important one
Checks and Counters:
  • Mega-Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, and Azumarill are also big threats to Hoopa when they either outspeed Hoopa thanks to speed control or Hoopa does not have Gunk Shot on its set to cover them. -> speed control mention seems kind of random to me imo just say gunk shot missing

send me a skype message whenever you implement/whether you want to discuss fire punch/whatever
Added the dashes for mention of types.

I removed mention of ohko'ing aegis from set comments and kept it in set details, since you were right that it was repetitive but probably makes more sense in Set details.

I thought "into play" sounded fine and checked with memoric and he said it was ok. Let me know if you think of any alternative for that though.

Check team options paragraph now and see if it reads better. I knew that was a major issue when I first wrote it but your suggestions definitely helped.

I think Fire Punch is ok if you wanted to be more physically inclined rather than specially inclined. Its mainly for Ferrothorn honestly but just happens to have the ability to hit Bisharp supereffectively. I would probably use Drain Punch if I really preferred to kill Bisharp. Willing to change though if more people feel it isnt worth it.

Everything else should be done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)