Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing how Astonish, Psybeam and Confusion are mentioned in the OP. We need an updated OP with the Alternate Forme, as that defiantly has some sort of niche in OU.

I find it amusing how Astonish, Psybeam and Confusion are mentioned in the OP. We need an updated OP with the Alternate Forme, as that defiantly has some sort of niche in OU.
Those were level up and tm moves. Not notable moves. However, I agree with updating the op and only naming notable moves. Or just make a thread for the altered form as it's pretty clear that this form is crap in Ou.

(Ok some person messed up my post count to likes ratio, so I need to make another post to keep it at 2:1)
Not to mention that hoopa alt can hold an item, preferably scarf or specs if you want wallbreaking power. Even though it's defensive typing is laughable, seriously GF, you didn't learn from malamar, it can hit insanely hard.

Yay 600th post :D

Psychic/Dark is not THAT bad of a typing. If we forgo for a moment that Hoppa (And Hoopa-U) is physically frail, it's very similar to Normal, with superior offensive capabilities (It can hit for super effective damage) while not being worse defensively (Bug is hardly used outside of U-Turn, so we can say it's mostly only weak to Fairy).

So as long as you get Hoopa-U away from faster physical moves...

Psychic/Dark is not THAT bad of a typing. If we forgo for a moment that Hoppa (And Hoopa-U) is physically frail, it's very similar to Normal, with superior offensive capabilities (It can hit for super effective damage) while not being worse defensively (Bug is hardly used outside of U-Turn, so we can say it's mostly only weak to Fairy).

So as long as you get Hoopa-U away from faster physical moves...
Psychic dark is a pathetic defensive typing (no resistances), while it's not too bad offensively, basically when your opponent sends in a u-turner (scarf lando, scizor), they're guaranteed to get some momentum back, because hoopa will have to switch out, and then they'll u-turn out into a check or counter.

Psychic dark is a pathetic defensive typing (no resistances), while it's not too bad offensively, basically when your opponent sends in a u-turner (scarf lando, scizor), they're guaranteed to get some momentum back, because hoopa will have to switch out, and then they'll u-turn out into a check or counter.
Why is everyone so hung up over Hoopa's 4x weaknesses. As if it makes a difference if it's 4x or 2x or even 1x. It's about as physically frail as Weavile lol.

252 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 254-300 (84.3 - 99.6%). - This is a damage calc as though Hoopa was only 2x weak to U-turn.
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 271-321 (90 - 106.6%). - Of course Landorus can simply KO it with a neutral hit anyway.

Same with its normal form. Pursuit and Sucker Punch will OHKO regardless of 2x or 4x. The only relevant Ghost move in OU is Gengar's Shadow Ball and that isn't something that Hoopa should try to fight anyway.

Anyhow Hoopa unbound looks murderous. 160 base attack powering deadly Knock Offs and Drain Punches, 170 base special attack and Nasty Plot makes it completely impossible to switch in on. It loses its Ghost STAB but that's okay because it gets way better replacements in STAB Hyperspace Fury and Knock Off. It has bad physical bulk but it has Latias level special defense and Deoxys level offenses to make up for it. 80 base speed is decent enough to be usable and more than enough to shit all over most walls.

It can run Life Orb, Specs, Band, Scarf, Sub + CM, Sub + Sitrus Berry, Nasty Plot, Assault Vest, and probably a ton of other sets I can't think of. Dark / Psychic lacks resistances but it also lacks weaknesses so it can abuse its titanic special bulk and switch in on things like Zapdos, Gengar, Latias, Venusaur, etc. I don't know how Hoopa Unbound will do in OU but it will undoubtedly find some uses.

If it's ever released anyway.

I'd honestly be surprised if Hoopa-U doesn't get banned to Ubers, as much as I really like the design. I mean just look at these crazy attacking stats and that massive movepool. It's physically frail, yeah, but it's going to hit like a truck and make it difficult for anyone to switch into any of its attacks. At least it has a meh speed.

I honestly think Hoopa-U might have just enough holding it back from being Uber. It's low base speed without a scarf keeps it from sweeping - and, incidentally, it has no way to boost it's speed like agility or whatever - while it doesn't have the physical bulk to survive the common revenge killer. And of course Choice Scarf locks it into one move, keeping it's potential at bay.
At the same time... Scarf set could be very akin to Greninja in that it can get in and Revenge Kill just about anything due to it's ridiculous power and STAB. In addition, said STAB might just be so good that the Scarf Set could muscle through just about anything. I can see it going either way and getting a suspect a little after it's release; Hyperspace Fury is very scary.

Hoopa-U will be an odd case in OU. On the one hand you have offensive stats that most Uber mons cannot match and unlike Kyurem-B it actually has a offensive move-pool that is worthy of Ubers. The opponent will have no idea if its physical, special or mixed, but they will all hit like a truck. But its the nasty plot set that scares me. There is nothing in stall that can hope to stand up to that kind of power. 80 speed is enough for it to be the best wall-breaker in the meta-game and it may easily prove to be too much for stall to handle.

On the other hand offense does not have too much to worry about it. Its physical defense is poor and that bad typing leaves it very exposed. The scarf set is good for revenge killing, but you won't be sweeping with it anytime soon (it also then becomes easy enough for stall to manage). There are faster scarfs around such as Landorus-T and priority which will leave a big mark on it (especially once you start spamming Hyperspace Fury). It also dies very quickly to U-Turn teams as even a week U-turn is a death sentence on it. And of course base 80 speed gets you nowhere. I just can't see the wall-breaker set doing anything outside of preventing switch ins when fighting HO. But why would you switch when most offensive mons out-speed it and can leave at least a good dent before they die? Yes its special defense is better but it still won't last very long against hard hitting special attacks. Balance teams will always have several fast and hard hitting options to stop it in its tracks.

I suspect Hoopa-U will get banned because of what it will do to stall teams (in the same way Ninja deals with balanced teams). However if it does as badly against HO as I suspect it may and does not get much traction against balance then it may end up staying, simply because it becomes a liability under those circumstances. Hoopa-U is probably the trickiest thing to theorymon about. It has some very broken aspects to it, but its flaws are severe and may be bad enough to keep it balanced. The success of the scarf set will probably be the thing that decides if its balanced or broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)