How do I make a competitive team for Singles Random Matches on the GBU?

How do I make a competitive team for Singles Random Matches on the GBU?
-----

With the release of Black 2/White 2 here in Japan, I've decided I want to play alot more random matches online than I did with Black. I'm currently trying to put together a solid team. However, due to the rules of random matches on the GBU, the metagame is very different from the standard Smogon OU. (Not to mention the fact that the metagame thread on this board is quite dead >.>)

Basically the rule that is really hampering me at the moment is team preview/pick 3.

Due to the fact that you can only pick 3 pokemon, it really cuts down options regarding strategy. Namely, stall teams aren't going to be as effective (Unless you can really read the opponent in the pick-3 phase.)

Secondly, the banlist is completely different from Smogon OU. Things like Garchomp or Speed Boost Blaziken are allowed, thus being quite hard to deal with.

Thirdly, item clause and items in general. Basically in a 3v3, I've found that choice items are very risky. Not to mention a well placed focus sash will make or break the game for you. Additionally, how do you pick which item goes on which poke? Which one gets the life orb and which one gets the wise glasses or expert band for example.

tl;dr, I'm trying to understand the thought process (that is obviously a bit different to standard OU) that goes into making a successful singles GBU team, as well as what strategies are successful?

I would say that you should pick the strongest pokemon like Garchomp or DW Blaziken as you said .. Life Orb + Expert Belt + Any , is the items that I would take ..

Yeah, now its kinda useless to have entry hazards...But Dory/Garchomp/Blaziken will be usable, thats pretty nice, these 3 alone are pretty awsome.
Oh, and Drizzle/Swift Swim rock!

as a follow-up to this question, is it a good idea to only bring three pokes to use every time, or bring the full six and pick out of those based on the villain's team?

i'm mainly asking this for double battles in preperation for the Autumn friendly and regionals.

as a follow-up to this question, is it a good idea to only bring three pokes to use every time, or bring the full six and pick out of those based on the villain's team?

i'm mainly asking this for double battles in preperation for the Autumn friendly and regionals.
Definitely bring a full party of six. There are no disadvantages to doing so and if you bring a mere three with you, it will be painfully easy for your opponent to select a few of his Pokemon to counter your team of three.

Pretty much every player relies heavily on Moltres/Articuno/Zapdos/Entei/Raikou/Suicuno/Cresselia/Virizion/Cobalion/Terrakion/Latios/Latias
Alot of people use justified+beat up,
or make suicune/articuno tanks and sub+sheer cold spam or roost+sheer cold spam.
theres also a whole lot of salamence/hydreigon/metagross.
I don't see as many dragonite/garchomp.. but they are out there!
Also I feel somewhat saddened by the lack of uxie/mesprit/azelf I see, because they're a trio too! :(
I try to build teams away from those sorts of pokemon, bar a Scarf chomp on occasion, because I feel like i'm taking advantage of a gimmick!

Thus, A good way to build teams is checks to many of these threats,
I usually run a sunny day team in doubles(thwarted by many a politoed, but nothing else)
Ninetales (fire gem) modest Drought
252 spA 252 spD 4hp
Overheat/Flamethrower/Solarbeam/ConfuseRay
Zoroark (dark gem) Timid
252spA 252spD 4hp
flamethrower/grass knot/u-turn/night daze

generally my openers there, i just try to nab a few KO's then switch

Alakazam modest syncronise (focus sash)
252spA 252 spD 4hp
psychic/shadowball/energy ball/charge beam

Pivot/Facepalm Exeggutor
calm
Harvest/Lum Berry
172hp 128def 128spD 84spA
hypnosis/rest/dream eater/solarbeam

Vaporeon (stall against SS/ some rain teams)
water absorb/ calm / left overs
252hp 126spA 126spD 4speed
acid armor/aqua ring/scald/aurora beam

Either Scarfchomp or Manectric as revenge, deciding on how I feel
^ standard spreads, adamant chomp and timid manectric,
moves are:
chompy:
fire fang/outrage/EQ/stone edge
manectric:
overheat/thunder/volt switch/
and twave/snarl

After all that pointless team sharing,
the answer to your question is, play how you feel.
Be vigilant in your team making, and go on GBU and earn some BP!:-)
xox

I've never had a big issue dealing with Chomp or Blaziken or some of the other banned mons from Smogon. A lot of people see them as Ubers on Smogon and think they're unbeatable by normal mons or something. If you really look at them though SEVERAL guys that aren't Smogon banned can handle the job. I'm elated though, that fuck-mothering Jirachi is banned on GBU. Hate that thing with a fiery herpes passion. But I'm getting off topic.

When I make a team I make a three mon team that is a sort of general purpose team. My other three slots are used to fill specific roles. My opponent has a lot of SP ATKers? That's why I carry Chansey. My opponent has a wall/tank that I'll have trouble with regularly? That's why I got a Trick Scarfer.

You can rarely go wrong with weather use, though you'll notice it's A LOT easier to deal with on GBU than Smogon Standard. Still powerful though. The popular choice seems to be Sandstorm from my experience with Rain following a close second. I don't see too many Sun or Hail teams. I wouldn't worry about running any weather nulling mons like Golduck. They're too weak on their own and it's just a wasted slot that could be used with something that has a broader range of use.

On a side note who relies on Moltres, Articuno, Entei, and Raikou? I NEVER see them played. Dnite and Chomp are played 9 times out of ten as well. Must be different in your region.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)