How to not be Annoying in Chat

Okay, so over the past few days on Pokemon Showdown, there have been endless amounts of just useless things being posted in the lobby room that kinda piss me off, here's some of them, maybe you can learn from these, maybe you won't, I don't know.

1) Nobody wants to watch your 5-0 sweep with a Dragonite.

Seriously though if we wanted to watch a battle we sure as hell wouldn't want to watch a sweep with a Dragon Dance Dragonite...

2) 'Hey check out my Youtube Channel at www.youtube.com/username!'

No. If I wanted to watch a low quality, uncommentated youtube video of someone playing Pokemon Firered on the laggiest computer in the world, I would go onto Youtube myself and watch one of the millions that infest that site. Have fun with your newly earned Mute.

3) 'They need to make a Mega Evolution of <enter bad, unused and gimmicky pokemon here>'

No they don't.

4) Oh wow you found out how to do bold text you're so cool I wish I was you *_*

5) 'OMFG sum guy jst forfitted against me ADMIN BAN HIM PLZZ!!1'

Why do so many people say this? It's the most stupid thing ever, you still get your points, and you even get them earlier than you would have so why are you complaining?

6) 'Imagine if <pokemon> got <move/ability>, it would be so OP'

Yeah well when you give a Pokemon something that would make it OP, it's gonna be OP isn't it... jeez I mean c'mon at least use SOME common sense...

7)
• potatodemon123 agrees
• potatodemon123 lol
• potatodemon123 thinks /me is fun
potatodemon123 will brb

You do not need to use /me every 5 seconds to state that you agree with something or that you're going AFK or something like that, it's pointless.

8) 'Gamefreak are running out of ideas'

Geodude was a rock with arms.

9) 'Are any staff on? I need to ask a question'

Arguably one of the most annoying things you can say. If you just ask it in chat then a member of Staff will most likely answer it straight away anyway, and what makes it even worse is that most of the time it's something about Pokemon that most people in the room can answer...

Sorry if this came off as rude or something it's just some people post the most useless stuff for no reason and it gets on my nerves and I have no idea why.

if you have anything that people say in chat that annoys you too then leave a reply saying what

-----EDIT-----

I just found out that a guy made a post similar to this on the smog a few weeks back, you can look at it here: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue29/howto_ps

Sorry guy who made that post if you're reading this :/ I'll look to see if people have made similar posts next time I make one.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
7)
• potatodemon123 agrees
• potatodemon123 lol
• potatodemon123 thinks /me is fun
potatodemon123 will brb

You do not need to use /me every 5 seconds to state that you agree with something or that you're going AFK or something like that, it's pointless.
Actually, the quote that you just put forward of this "potatodemon123" has the most points of this entire post.

Edit: sorry, that was kind of lame, I was going to refer to Tobes's already existing article in the smog of this, like skylight did, but ended up making a joke because lol pointless points I am an idiot :|

Otherwise, this was actually a creative idea, and I agree with you, just unfortunate with the article that ninja'd you :/

Last edited:
Oh o_O I guess I should've checked if someone had already made something along the lines of that. I don't mind the Lobby chat, it's fine there are nice people in there, but it's just every now and then you see one of these posts and you just

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I guess I agree with most of your points, but I'm not sure about the last one. I occasionally has asked if there are any active mods that are willing to answer my question. This is a much more productive way to get your question answered rather than asking every admin / mod that might be afk at the time / might not be bothered to help you at that given time. Also, saying that most of the main chat could answer is bold? I dunno, I feel that this is just wrong, and if I need a moderators help on something, I don't see anything bad in asking the main chat. The reason you don't ask the main chat depends on the question, and you don't get a straight forward answer compared to PM. Most of the question's I've asked mods are to do with a certain user, or another serious topic. I dunno, I just don't feel you should be so pissed at people asking for moderator's help.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I occasionally has asked if there are any active mods that are willing to answer my question. This is a much more productive way to get your question answered rather than asking every admin / mod that might be afk at the time / might not be bothered to help you at that given time.
Never do this. Never. We have no obligation to give a shit unless you ask us directly, and most of the time if we're busy or not in the mood we'll redirect you to another auth who can help you. If you ask in chat, we might never see it - talk to us directly or not at all, basically.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Never do this. Never. We have no obligation to give a shit unless you ask us directly, and most of the time if we're busy or not in the mood we'll redirect you to another auth who can help you. If you ask in chat, we might never see it - talk to us directly or not at all, basically.
Well, I'm speaking from experience. I've asked moderators who have been inactive, and I felt I'd be annoying the mods if I asked everyone the same question. But I guess you're right, I'll prevent from doing this in the future.

What I meant was that a lot of the time people ask in the public chat stuff like "is there any staff on I need help?" and it's just pointless.

a) figure out if it's only a STAFF that can answer this question.
b) If a regular player could answer it then ask in main chat
c) message a member of Staff if only one of them can answer it, just so it doesn't get lost in the public chat

It's a TON easier for them if they can just answer it straight up than having to tell a person to PM them and then waiting for the question to come. also, if it's a viable question then they won't get annoyed but if you ask one of them something stupid then ofc their gonna get slightly mad, it's a natural instinct, even more so when you waste your and their time asking if one of them can answer your question in main chat. And even then, a lot of the staff are nice and will happily answer any question you have no matter what it's about. Also, you can just see which Staff member is active in chat and sent them a quick PM, it's simple and easier for the two of you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)