1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Howtobasic

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Molk, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

So i was browsing youtube for a bit because i was bored and stumbled across the youtube channel of howtobasic. The entire channel is centered around showing us how to do amazing things, whether its making things in the kitchen, applying makeup, ending world hunger or even teleporting through an absurd combination of random ingredients, blenders, toilets, messmaking, and smashed raw eggs. I found some of these videos to be quite entertaining, so i linked them on #pokemon and after a few videos i asked this.

[09:46] <@Molk> lol
    [09:46] <@Molk> howtobasic thread
    [09:46] <@Molk> y/n
    [09:46] <%treecko> lol
    [09:46] <%treecko> y
    [09:46] <%treecko> please
    [09:46] <+Enguarde> i'm surprised you guys are only seeing this now lol
    [09:46] <+Enguarde> y for getting it out there

Heres a link to howtobasic's youtube channel so you can watch a few of these videos for yourself and i'll add some direct links to a few videos in the OP so you can watch without going directly to the channel. enjoy!

Link to howtobasic's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/HowToBasic?feature=watch

And some links to his videos

(sorry if i did anything wrong :s)
    Hollywood likes this.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood 12/10 personality
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

these are truly works of art. I've also heard rumors that Yilx is howtobasic :0

also I know there may not be very many parents on Smogon, but for those of you parents out there who are struggling with fussy babies that don't like to eat much, howtobasic has some tips for you \o/

3. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Still a better cook than me.
  4. Adamant Zoroark

Adamant Zoroark

HowToBasic really is awesome. I was introduced to these videos by a friend in AP Calc... Let's just say I was laughing my ass off.

My contribution to the "HowToBasic videos posted in this thread":

5. B-Lulz

B-Lulz You ain't gotta love it 'cos the hood gone love it
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Howtobasic is amazing, caught it about 4 months ago and showed it to some friends of mine, now all my friends know about it. Simplicity at its finest haha
  6. Shiruba

Shiruba

fuck these videos make me cringe so badly, haha.

^ first one i saw. why must s/he waste perfectly good food :c
    hate to be a political justice freak or anything, but i know what it's like to not have enough food in the cupboard, and when i watch people waste perfectly good food like that... idk man.
  7. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

the best ones are those that start off relatively plausibly, like the easter egg one
  8. dice

dice practitioner of the city
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

I like the feeding baby one the best. He's so gentle with it at the beginning and even puts on a bib. A few seconds later goes to town with the baby food.
  9. Jukain

Jukain .leaf
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

The Dr. Pepper one was just hilarious. Diet Coke? lolol
  10. GCSChris

GCSChris

lol I remember watching these in study hall about 5 months ago with some friends. I literally was in the middle of my school's library, hysterically crying out of laughter.
  11. Kenny

Kenny don't expect me

i wonder how long it all takes with editting, retakes, etcetc
    and how much it costs, too, with how often/regularly he uploads
  12. hathater

hathater

I know how to teleport now!
  13. Faint

Faint Valar morghulis
    is a Tiering Contributor

I appreciate his effort but personally don't find them funny. Just my opinion.
  14. Nova

Nova Palisades
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Is there one for How to Tame Trop
  15. Minwu

Minwu

it's hard not to lose it at the pure spontaneity, but i always thought he must have a lot of money he has no idea awful ideas of what to do with
  16. Furai

Furai a ╬ędefender // a ╬▒guardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

17. Lemonade.

Lemonade. fluffy bird
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Does anyone else find these incredibly lackluster? It seems all he does is slam stuff into buckets and spazz out. And, they seem to be very formulaic. "How to Apply Makeup". Messily flop stuff over a face (like How to Feed a Baby) and then get mad and waste food all over it. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Pocket likes this.
  18. Kenny

Kenny don't expect me

You aren't missing anything, it's just the basic humor of screwing up badly on something that appeals to some people, but just doesn't do it for some others because it may seem wasteful, juvenile, or pointless. or all three. Even if one does find it funny it can easily get boring due to as you said, it's repetitive and formulaic. It's just not for everyone. (I find it entertaining but I like simple, stupid humor.)
  19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck i am woodchuck
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnus

The appeal and novelty was lost after the first video, but it did remind me a hell of a lot of Surgeon Simulator 2013.
  20. ~GreenCore

~GreenCore Hardwire

Roflmao "How to make a baby"

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)