Hyper Offense ft. MegaZardY and VoltTurn

So, for those who frequent this section, this will be my third RMT and I hope this turns out better than my last two RMTs. Changes in red.

Overview of the team:

So what do we have here? As you can see, this is a Hyper Offense(idk if I'm using the term right, correct me if I'm wrong) team with no Stealth Rocks, Screens, or Set-Up sweepers. Wait what!? "Are you out of your mind? How can you have a hyper offense team with no set-up sweepers?". The main offensive core of wallbreakers/sweepers Aegislash and ZardY breaks everything apart, with only the EQ-carrying ZardX and MegaKhan giving them trouble. Rhyperior is there to take down mons that would otherwise give ZardY and Aegislash trouble, making it a 1-for-1 mon. I'm thinking of replacing Rhyperior with Mamoswine/Garchomp but Rhyperior's bulk will be sorely missed, I'm still assessing what kinds of threats Rhyperior usually deal with. Scizor acts as the defogger while at the same time, softening up opponent's team with a surprise Knock Off. He's also able to bluff CB sets so that's a big plus. Lastly, Genesect and Rotom-W's VoltTurn combination is used to build up momentum and prepare for ZardY/Aegislash. Rotom-W's physically bulky spread gives it a secondary function of physical tank and can WoW problem mons while Genesect can also clean up late game.

**************************​
Without further ado:

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Welcome the first member of the VoltTurn trio. Yes, as you can see, this is a utilitarian Scizor set. Boasting a myriad of resistances with only one weakness(albeit a huge 4x one), Scizor can be a very tough bulky pokemon. It's two main goals are:

a.) to defog away hazards that will otherwise hinder the Voltturn trio
b.) Knock Off as much items as possible.

Many people don't realize this, but Knocking Off items can be a death sentence to some pokemon. Trevenant instantly becomes useless. Eviolite mons are suddenly not as bulky anymore. Bulky walls and tanks without leftovers suddenly becomes not-so-bulky. Knocking out Choice items, especially scarves, renders a lot of revenge killers useless. Also, Knock Off forces the opponent to bring in their pokemon whose item have already been Knocked Off, which gives you the momentum and chance to switch in a counter. But I digress, this is a RMT, not a Knock Off thread, so I'll stop here. Overall, Knock-Off softens/cripples opponent mons for a sweep later. Roost gives Scizor more survivability. Swarm is chosen to beef up Scizor's U-turn if low on health, since Technician is basically useless in with this moveset. Scizor is the only one on the trio to possess a slow U-Turn, and is a boon as this allows him to pivot out after doing its job.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Recover

The second and the last member of the defensive core of this team. He eats up water attacks that Rhyperior and ZardY fears. EVs are spread for it to be bulky on both sides, although Jellicent most of the time eats up physical attacks. I'd say that there's nothing much to see here, Jellicent provides all the utility that a HO team needs. WoW is used for all the physical sweepers rampaging about in OU, Recover for survivability. Taunt is to prevent set-up sweepers and slower hazard-setters. After a long self-debate, I replaced Scald with Night Shade as his only attacking move. Although I lose a means to scare out and 2HKO Talonflame and Heatran, with Night Shade Jellicent gains the ability to reliably break Subs, which is in my experience, more important.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split (?)

The second member of the VoltTurn trio, Rotom-W is an invaluable asset to every team in this meta and my team is no exception. Him and Genesect alone forms a formidable duo already. A physically bulky spread is chosen for a slow pivot while being able to switch in on physical sweepers and threaten with a WoW. I'm not sure what am I suppose to put in the last slot. ChestoRest kills momentum, so that's out of the options but so does Pain Split. HP Ice can be used but I think it'll be, for the most part, useless since I'm not running an Sp.Atk EVs on this guy.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

The last and imo the most important part of the VoltTurn trio is Genesect. Before, I used to loathe this pokemon because of it's hit-and-run tactics which is extremely annoying. Add to that the fact that it can scare so many mons out with its outstanding offense and extremely wide coverage. So I told myself, if you can't beat em then join em. And that has been the best decision I've made for this team. I've forgone the seemingly common SpAtk set and opted for an Atk set in order to increase U-turn's power. Iron Head is for a secondary STAB that hits Fairy types hard, specifically Clefable which annoys the heck out of me. Ice Beam is used to bluff a Sp.Atk set and Extreme Speed for priority.

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche

Standing as the only UU member of this team, Rhyperior has a lot of expectations to fulfill. Fortunately, with the help of the new item Assault Vest, he fulfills his role very well, which is to be a mixed tank that hits hard. With the help of Ass. Vest, Rhyperior manages to patch up it's SDef to equal its monstrous Defense. With rain and sun being nerfed, Rhyperior has less things to fear. And the amount of pokemon it can check is quite large. EQ and Rock Blast are the standard STAB options, with Rock Blast being able to break subs and sashes, particularly Galvantula, Scolipede, Ninjask, etc. Fire Punch is for Ferrothorn and Megazor, which is OHKO'd in the sun, and for Genesect who 2HKOs with Ice beam and is OHKO'd with Fire Punch. Avalanche is the most used move in this set, as Rhyperior with full health will survive an un-banded and unboosted Garchomp's EQ, +1 DDnite's EQ/Outrage, Lando's Earth Power, Lando-T's EQ, Zygrade's +1 EQ, etc. and OHKO back with Avalanche. Rhyperior can also deal with Special Sweepers who does not have Grass/Water/Ice STABs. All in all Rhyperiors main job is to take down with it mons that will prove to be a hindrance to ZardY and Aegislash, mainly Ttar, Dragonite, Salamence, Megazam and fast electric mons.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball

In light of Shurtugal 's suggestion, I replaced Jellicent with Aegislash for a much more offensive presence and I can say that I'm really liking the change. With leftovers, life orbs, choice scarves and whatnot knocked off, Aegislash comes in to 'sweep', albeit doing so in an unorthodox way. Shadow Ball + Sacred Sword provides crazy coverage where if the opponent is not OHKO'd, it can be picked off with Shadow Sneak next turn. King's Shield is chosen so that Aegislash can revert back to Shield Forme, so that it can fire off another Shadow Ball next turn, and for mind games. Leftovers over Spooky Plate for longevity.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Aaaaaaand the MVP award of this team goes to this guy right here. What can I say, it plows through teams and punches holes before it dies, paving the way for Aegislash to sweep and wreck havoc. Fire Blast melts anything that doesn't resist it except for the two blobs. Solarbeam kills any water pokemon that dares to revenge kill/wall it. EQ kills Heatran, and Flare Blitz for a chance to KO Special Walls before going down. One last thing is that ZardY is actually pretty bulky on the special side, and under the sun it will survive any Hydro Pump thrown at it, except maybe Specs Keldeo's.

****************​
Threat list:

If this guy is carrying Crunch and is able to get a free SD boost, I'm done. Except maybe if Genesect's Explosion crits. Honestly I'm just hoping that Megaluke will get banned. Though Megaluke can only come in to revenge kill, and he can only come in on 3 of my mon to revenge, giving Megaluke any opening is fatal.
Solution:
Aegislash is able to deal with unboosted Crunches/Dark Pulses in Shield Forme, fire off a Sacred Sword, and Shadow Sneak next turn if Megaluke survives. The fact that all of Physical Megaluke's attacks are contact doesn't help it.

Of course, the crowned most OP mega evolution along with MegaGar, MegaKhan puts the hurt in my team, especially if it carries Crunch. Though I can pivot to Genesect to use Explosion and kill it, losing Genesect is a pretty big blow to my team.
Solution:
Aegislash completely walls EQ-less variants with King's Shield. For a predicted EQ, switch out to Rotom-W and use WoW. Rhyperior @ full health can also win against it 1-on-1.

Ha! My team is threatened by Power Ranger! As funny as that is, if Bisharp comes in on a Defog, I'm most probably screwed. It OHKOs Rhyperior with +2 Iron Head, and craps on everything else
Solution:
It really is only a problem if it ever gets a boost, so for the most part countering him will involve smart plays from me. Sacred Sword, EQ and Fire Blast cleanly OHKOs this guy.

Crit Kingdra is one of the new shiny toys that this gen got, and it poops on everybody in my team. Once again, my only answer would be Genesect's Explosion.
Solution:
Aegislash may probably(emphasis on probably) survive a crit Draco Meteor on Shield Forme, retaliate with Shadow Ball, then Shadow Sneak next turn for the kill.

With Jellicent gone, Keldeo has become a threat for my team. Unless of course Hydro Pump misses for w/e reason.
Solution:
If it comes in to revenge kill ZardY, if it's not carrying Choice Specs ZardY can probably tank Hydro Pump and OHKO back with Solarbeam. Rotom-W can also come in to revenge kill or threaten with Volt Switch, gaining back the momentum that was lost.

Fire mons in general. Now 2 of my team has 4x weakness to fire, 1 with 2x, and while the other 3 having resistance. It's a good thing that there are not a lot of Fire mons around, I'm predicting only ZardX, ZardY, Infernape, and Heatran where, ironically, the two MegaZards are the ones that will give me the most headache.

****************​
So there! I would appreciate it if anyone can give suggestions, or even warn me of more threats to this team. I'm sitting at high 1600s almost 1700, although I think the team has more potential and it's just that I suck at mind games that's why I'm sitting pretty low on the ladder. Honestly, I came up against a wall on this team and I'm out of ideas on how to make this team be better.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, this is pretty cool, abd i had meant to reply to it before the bump but whatever lol. First off jellicent is kind of...awkwardly placed...on the team. It doesnt seem to have a niche for the team at all. Now, you say you have a problem with mega kang. Try running Gourgeist over jellicent. This lets you counter mega kang as well as keldeo, and does the same jobs jellicent did. It gives you a nice fwg core too!

On genesect, I would consider running Ice Beam>Explosion. Although explosion can be clutch, having ice beam puts less pressure on rhypherior to ko things like dragonite, zygarde, landorus, etc. Running it lets you bluff special based better as well. Explosion seems to do more harm than good, as you lose your best revenge killer.

Lastly, flame charge is really stupid on charizard. Its not a sweeper but a wallbreaker. Try using Focus Blast to hit tyranitar super duper hard. Running Earthquake>Hidden Power Ground would do you much better. Most heatran are SpD invested so earthquake hits harder anyway. Hope i helped with your team, good luck!!

TCR

But Gourgy lacks Taunt :( I'm actually a big fan of Gourgy btw, I'll definitely try him and see if I'll miss Taunt or not.

Hmm I'll test Ice Beam, although I already have HP Ice on Rotom-W and Avalanche on Rhyperior. Maybe I'll replace HP Ice for something else?

Lastly, idk about Focus Blast, I've got Rhyperior as well as the U-Turn combo of Genesect and Scizor to deal with Tyranitar already, and the accuracy of Fire Blast already makes me want to tear out my hair roots in frustration :(

Nice suggestion on EQ though, I've never thought of that tbh.

Thanks for the rate btw :)

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Got the request!

And OK I am not sure this qualifies for Heavy Offense: you have a billion things eating at your momentum! I think your obvjective is to utilize VoltTurn to gain momentum for Zard-Y, correct? I'm going to assume you plan on making this more offensive and rate from there based of the assumed objective of this team.

The first issue for me is Rhyperior: it's a tad bit redundant to be running a Talonflame counter that hard when you have Rotom-W IMO. For me, you should be using a better Stealth Rocker: Rocky Helmet Garchomp! Garchomp murders Talonflame, but it can also serve as a check to Lucario,Kangs, and Bisharp; which are huge counters you yourself pointed out right now! My personal EV spread is 96 Hp / 252 Def / 160 Spe with Stealth Rock / Dragon Tail / Earthquake / Fire Blast with a Naive nature, but I'll leave the cutomizations up to you.

Next, I'm looking at Scizor and Jellicent. Scizor looks really redundant when you have Genesect on the team, especially when you have mutiple options to choose from for Defog support, and Jellicent itself is also redundant with Rotom-W. Both of these mons are also bulky utility and don't contribute to the offensive pressure you are aiming to use. Utilimately, two scarfers are also a bit redundant: I'd drop scarf on Rotom-W in favor of the physically defensive Rotom-W set. As for Scizor and Jellicent, I'd look for some replacements: Mixed Aegislash is probably a really solid option seeing as how it can fill the role of bulky Steel type that Scizor performs while also being a bit more offensive and also retaining the ghost-typing of Jellicent. As for Scizor's replacement, I would simply add a better Defogger in it's place: you have plenty of options, from Zapdos (which gets U-turn) to even Lati@s, which offers bulk, power, speed, and the second fastest Defogging in the game.

I suggest you go to Battling101 or the Tutor program to get a bit more farmilar with the metagame since you seem like a very new user. They have good tutors there I assure you!

Good luck with the team and welcome to Smogon! :)

Shurtugal

Thanks for the rate :) I'll try out some changes you mentioned, mess around with it, and see what happens. Then I'll get back to you. Tbh I'm not very comfortable with replacing 3 members so I'll try it out bit by bit :)

Tbh I've already thought about replacing Jellicent, since he kills the momentum but spreads burns in return. Not sure if i want to replace Scarf on rotom, but I'll def try it. Not sure about Scizor too, would you care to explain more on why he is redundant? He does his job so well that I'm having trouble letting him go :(

EDIT : I applied the changes you mentioned, the one I loved the most Aegislash. Garchomp was too frail for my taste(got OHKO'd straight up by an Ice Punch from MegaLuke) and I tried Latias as a special wall/defogger but switching into her makes me lose so much momentum as she can't deal with common SR setters plus no pivot move. I appreciate the inputs though as I'm loving Aegislash in this atm :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)